Malcom Floyd returns to Chargers, could sign tender today

San Diego Chargers restricted free agent wide receiver Malcom Floyd said today that he will participate in this week’s organized team activities after staying away all offseason, and he appears close to signing his one-year tender offer.

I don’t think there was anything more to gain by sitting out,” Floyd said this morning.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that Floyd could sign the one-year $3.168 million tender as soon as today.

Floyd is one of four high-profile Chargers free agents who haven’t signed their tenders and haven’t been participating in offseason workouts. The Chargers have leverage with three of the four — Floyd, receiver Vincent Jackson and offensive tackle Marcus McNeill — because on June 15 teams can change players’ tender offers to 110 percent of their 2009 salaries, and that would be a significant reduction from the current tender offer for those three. (The fourth, linebacker Shawne Merriman, is already tendered at 110 percent of his 2009 salary.)

But now Floyd is in the fold, and he says he’s glad to be back.

“I’m excited [to] take reps with Philip [Rivers],” Floyd told the Union-Tribune. “I’ve been really stressing on that.”

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
19 Responses to “Malcom Floyd returns to Chargers, could sign tender today”
  1. BigMikeSkinsFan says: Jun 7, 2010 2:43 PM

I love that this corp of WRs thinks that its them that are making the big plays. Rivers is an outstanding QB and is making you look good you idiots!! Put them on any other team and none of them succeed the way they have in SD.
    jackson is too immature and cant keep his nose clean and Floyd is just benefiting from Jackson being the #2 (behind Gates).

2. Popeye says: Jun 7, 2010 2:47 PM

Breakout WR of 2010..mark it down

3. Cambodian Breast Milk says: Jun 7, 2010 3:27 PM

BigMike…
    I don’t know bro, BOTH Floyd and Jackson have made some pretty sick grabs that have made the highlight reel. Not too mention Gates and former Bolt Chris Chambers also made some SILLY catches that I’m willing to bet 90% of most WR’s couldn’t have handled. When I say 90%, I mean guys not named Larry Fitzgerald, OchoCinco, Steve Smith, Reggie Wayne, Andre Johnson…these guys are all in a league of their own. Having Rivers does help them look better though..lol

4. bigbolt says: Jun 7, 2010 3:32 PM

AJ Smith is playing a very dangerous game with Marcus McNeil and V Jax. Merriman has no leverage at all, he actually NEEDS to play and prove that he is worth a big contract. However, McNeil and V Jax should have been locked up a while ago.

5. sricko says: Jun 7, 2010 3:35 PM

This guy is weak sauce… they need a possession receiver in the slot

6. Buck Melanoma says: Jun 7, 2010 3:42 PM

Hey Fat Mike – if I were a sorry ‘Skins fan, I’d have nothing better to do than badmouth other teams as well.
    Come on down to Charlottesville. I’ll buy you a beer & explain how much your precious ‘Skins suck.
    Floyd & VJ are going to have big years – again.

7. BigMikeSkinsFan says: Jun 7, 2010 3:44 PM

Cambodian –
    I live in SD and have the “benefit” of watching these guys play. Jackson has stepped up but you still have to wonder if either of them would be any good if they played for a different QB. Look at Chambers now..dude isnt exactly blowing up in KC.
    Jackson is better than Floyd but neither one hold a candle to Gates.

8. BoltsFan says: Jun 7, 2010 3:51 PM

The players have very little leverage right now, and once their agents’ egos deflate in another few days, they will ultimately all come to the same conclusion as Floyd just did. The danger here is that being predictably beaten at this little game of cat and mouse w/A.J. Smith is that their own egos are somehow damaged (not sure that should even be possible when they are being paid MILLIONS) and they may want to exact some revenge next year by refusing to negotiate a reasonable deal w/the Chargers.

9. BigMikeSkinsFan says: Jun 7, 2010 4:06 PM

Buck Melanoma says:
    June 7, 2010 3:42 PM
    Floyd & VJ are going to have big years – again.
    ______________________________
    fat mike? Thats the best you have? You are truly a disgrace to online nerds who act tuff behind a monitor every where. Its people like you who get in to flame wars, troll threads and just waste the space that could be used by decent people for good convo.
    If you were smart enough to READ my posts you would know that I live in SD and I am not trashing them but saying that theyre as good as they are because of Rivers’ skills and Gates taking pressure off of them.
    But you obviously arent that bright when all you can do is say “fat mike” and “come to charlottesville”.

10. tnsteve says: Jun 7, 2010 4:23 PM

Floyd @ $3 mil has to be on the short list of most overpaid wrs in the league.

11. Buck Melanoma says: Jun 7, 2010 5:10 PM

I read your post & your full of it. VJ & Floyd have both turned into good NFL caliber WR’s.
    Too bad you have nothing on the ‘Skins to compare them too. And the fact that you can come on down to C’ville has to do with my geographic location, not yours.
    Here’s a link for you … smashmouthmensans.com. Come on over & talk your trash about VJ & Floyd. We’ll all be glad to listen & refute – if you can handle the heat.

12. Cake Or Death says: Jun 7, 2010 5:49 PM

I’m glad Floyd had the sense to end his holdout. I have no sympathy for these guys.

13. BigMikeSkinsFan says: Jun 7, 2010 6:03 PM

Buck Melanoma says:
    June 7, 2010 5:10 PM
    __________________________________
    you act like the only way to talk about any other receiver is if the Skins have the same caliber. Thats the dumbest thing Ive ever heard and if that was the case most of the people on this site wouldnt be talking.
    If I go to Charlottesville it wont be to waste my time with some internet tuff guy, I would go to a race or do something more constructive with my time like count the leaves in a tree.
    are you plugging a site? Seriously? You really ARE a troll. even if I found the site on my own just the simple fact that you are on it would make it lose any credibility.
    They are decent..but one TD and less than 1000 yards for Floyd doesnt make a good NFL WR. It means the QB throwing to him is really good and he isnt trusted or doesnt have any TD plays designed for him.

14. Cake Or Death says: Jun 7, 2010 6:59 PM

I sort of agree with you, BigMike, but it’s difficult to quote stats with regards to Chargers receivers since they have so many offensive weapons. Floyd is a big-play receiver, and they use him almost exclusively as such. I do think Rivers could succeed on any team, and probably makes all his receivers better, but Jackson and Floyd make some absolutely ridiculous catches on balls that normally wouldn’t be caught.

15. ChargersRoll13209 says: Jun 7, 2010 7:11 PM

Big Mike.
    I agree with you.. Buck is giving we Charger fans a bad name… He needs to get back to his moms basement and troll some other sites…
    Mike you make some good points and it is true about Floyd, whether buck wants to agree or not..
    Rivers is Money, no doubt…

16. BigMikeSkinsFan says: Jun 7, 2010 7:30 PM

thanks gents…
    im not dogging them at all. floyd and jackson are VERY tall and VERY athleetic. and the fact that they make those catches are a testimony to their skills. but i think its more rivers hitting them where they need to. hell, he isnt one of the top QBs for nothing!! haha

17. Cake Or Death says: Jun 7, 2010 7:56 PM

BigMike: Nice to see an opposing fan give props to Rivers. Often I hear fans of other teams say that his receivers bail him out since all he has to do is toss it up high. The long TD he threw to Jackson in the Ravens game last year into tight triple coverage) might be one of the most perfectly placed passes I’ve ever seen.

18. Cake Or Death says: Jun 7, 2010 7:59 PM

19. Buck Melanoma says: Jun 8, 2010 7:23 AM

ChargersRoll, how am I the one giving Charger fans a bad name? Just taking up for OUR players – there’s a problem there?
    I listen to blowhard ‘Skins fans regularly, just as local Charger fans listen to & smack around plenty of Raiders fans. I never threatened anyone so don’t really understand the tough guy routine. I asked the guy to come down to my neck of the woods & talk football – sorry if that scared any of you girls. I thought initially that maybe he was local to the DC area.
    No troll – just don’t usually comment here. Come to the site I listed or not – I could care less. We could just use some non-Charger fans to spice things up a bit.