Golden Tate apologizes for donut run

Before the draft, Seahawks receiver Golden Tate boasted that he won’t be a problem because he knows how to make “tough decisions.”

His first incident in the NFL apparently arose from a friend’s inability to do the same.

Tate has learned a thing or two from his former quarterback regarding the art of throwing a friend under the bus.  “A buddy made the mistake of going in, grabbing a couple,” Tate said, per Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times.  “We ate them.
Nothing much to the story other than that.”

Still, Tate apologized for the incident at a Bellevue, Washington Top Pot
donut store.  “This is the wrong type of media I want to bring to the
organization,” Tate said
“I apologize to the team, the coaches and even Top Pot.”

He
should be thanking Top Pot, too.  As we understand it, Tate didn’t do a
perp walk because Top Pot chose not to press charges.  (And Top Pot should be thanking Tate for the free advertising.)

Tate also explained he received only a warning for trespassing, not a citation or a ticket.  “Just kind of said, ‘Don’t do it again.’  Which I won’t,” Tate said.

Coach Pete Carroll shrugged off the situation, while acknowledging that it’s never a good idea to take food from a store that isn’t open.  “I’m not disappointed in a guy being in a donut
shop when they’ve got maple bars like Top Pot has,” Carroll said.  “However, under the circumstances I
think they were closed or . . . something like that. . . .  We talked about it, and he’s most remorseful about it and
all that.  I do understand the allure of the maple bars.”

So Tate has learned his lesson.  “I’m very embarrassed to even have my name a part of this,” he said.  “Before now, I’ve never had some trouble in any type of school or anything.  I’d rather learn on this than have something a few months or years down the road that’s a lot bigger and me being arrested or cited for something.  So this is definitely a lesson learned for me, and next time, I’m just going to have my buddy go in and buy them instead.”

That’ll be hard to do if the store is, you know, closed.  Maybe they can just leave their money in the cash register.

Permalink 56 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
56 Responses to “Golden Tate apologizes for donut run”
  1. sdffa11 says: Jun 8, 2010 5:14 PM

what an idiot. he has no common sense and is just a jerk who thinks he can do whatever he wants.

2. Cambodian Breast Milk says: Jun 8, 2010 5:14 PM

I might have to try this infamous Maple Bar.

3. mama tried says: Jun 8, 2010 5:15 PM

A smart boy you got yourself there, seahags! ——
    “I’ve never had some trouble in any type of school or anything”

4. this class sucks says: Jun 8, 2010 5:15 PM

Does anyone else really want a maple bar right now?

5. realitypolice says: Jun 8, 2010 5:16 PM

“I apologize to the team, the coaches and even Top Pot.”
    ==============
    And EVEN Top Pot? Shouldn’t they have been at the top of the list? I mean, after all, they are the ones you stole something from, right? And the ones who chose to let you walk?

6. Nymkosis says: Jun 8, 2010 5:17 PM

“I do understand the sllure of maple bars” LMAO! Freakin awesome! I can’t stand Pete Carroll but I have to hand it to him for sticking up for his player and his choice of words on this matter! I’ll be laughing the rest of my day! Thanks Tate!

7. Nymkosis says: Jun 8, 2010 5:18 PM

Oops I ment to say “allure”. Typo

8. robert ethen says: Jun 8, 2010 5:18 PM

Unfortunately for Tate and his friend, 11 Bellevue patrol cars along with several officers on foot happened to be within the immediate vicinity of the donut shop at that hour.

9. steveinohio says: Jun 8, 2010 5:18 PM

“he won’t be a problem because he knows how to make tough decisions.”
    never under estimate the toughness of choosing jelly filled over the bear claw.
    nice career start.

10. VikingFan09 says: Jun 8, 2010 5:19 PM

He said he was sorry…… he’s right. He is sorry!

11. steely devil hab says: Jun 8, 2010 5:21 PM

4 game suspension from GODdell, knock it down to 2 games if he watches Dr. Oz episodes and can discuss high fructose corn syrup!

12. Nevisyakker says: Jun 8, 2010 5:21 PM

Oh….It was the MAPLE BARS….well that explains it for me!
    Carroll comes across like a bigger idiot than Tate.

13. BonnieD says: Jun 8, 2010 5:24 PM

That is BS!!!
    He should have gotten community service and have to help out people who can’t afford food. He’s going to have millions of dollars and he steals donuts? Jerk.

14. ohmygato says: Jun 8, 2010 5:25 PM

It also might have a ton to do with Top Pot being endorsed as the Seahawks Official Donut. Sounds like a publicity stunt to me.

15. jibfest says: Jun 8, 2010 5:26 PM

How I been supposed to no they ain’ts open?

16. robert ethen says: Jun 8, 2010 5:27 PM

While it remains to be determined if any charges will be laid, Bellevue PD nevertheless thought it prudent to sieze the contents of the display shelves in the establishment as evidence. Along with the packaged goods in the back of the store.

17. sergep says: Jun 8, 2010 5:30 PM

he knows the baker lives right on top the owner said he is cool with it and it was a pr stunt.. now onto drama recievers.. crabtree and bryant throwing up.

18. mike428 says: Jun 8, 2010 5:31 PM

After the apology, Pete Carroll told Golden Tate to get the “glazed” look out of his eyes.

19. BLeedGreeN4Life says: Jun 8, 2010 5:31 PM

So Pete, if it were to be anything of then maple bars you would have had him suspended. I think your more disappointed at the fact that he didn’t steal you any than the fact that he stole in general, am i right?

20. Flipadelphia says: Jun 8, 2010 5:33 PM

Piss test this dude right now. Bet he was high.

21. brownsfn says: Jun 8, 2010 5:36 PM

Hey ra-tard…

22. purpleguy says: Jun 8, 2010 5:39 PM

I didn’t think a person dared mess with a cop’s donuts — I’m suprised he wasn’t tasered.

23. Bob Nelson says: Jun 8, 2010 5:42 PM

“I’m not disappointed in a guy being in a donut shop when they’ve got maple bars like Top Pot has,” Carroll said. “I do understand the allure of the maple bars.”
    Pete does a commercial in exchange for Top Pot not prosecuting.

24. hrmlss says: Jun 8, 2010 5:43 PM

So do the Top Pot donuts like have Pot in them? Or what’s the story on them? Is this some type of hippie medical marijuana place?

25. thirdandgoal says: Jun 8, 2010 5:44 PM

time will tell if he “learns on it”, or not. he needs to learn on some grammer, too.

26. Hosstyle In Tampa says: Jun 8, 2010 5:44 PM

“…and now excuse me while I go stage dive into the Michigan State Marching Band.” – Golden Tate on responsibility

27. TFBuckFutter says: Jun 8, 2010 5:46 PM

I like that there is a store called Top Pot.
    And that they sell donuts no less.
    Freddie Mitchell should look into buying a franchise.

28. BuckyBadger says: Jun 8, 2010 5:47 PM

So how did they break in?

29. rovibe says: Jun 8, 2010 5:48 PM

KEY INFO LEFT OUT OF REPORT: This doughnut shop recently signed a deal to provide the doughnuts and coffee concessions for Qwest Field — home of the Seahawks. Think it’s a coincidence that Tate got off so easily? I think not.

30. rovibe says: Jun 8, 2010 5:49 PM

“Before the draft, Seahawks receiver Golden Tate boasted that he won’t be a problem because he knows how to make tough decisions.” — Funny thing is, for most of us, not breaking into a doughnut shop in the middle of the night would actually be a very easy decision. Apparently, that’s what threw him off… Had it been a ‘tough’ decision, he might not have screwed it up. I guess?

31. rocknrollsinger says: Jun 8, 2010 5:51 PM

In the wake of the failures of Top Hat, Hot Tap, & Junk Shot, Tate thought it a golden idea to plug the failed BP oil well with a Top Pot pastry. Heck, it’s a better idea than golf balls.

32. rovibe says: Jun 8, 2010 5:51 PM

Pretty soon, Obama will give a speech about this, blaming George Bush and Fox news for Tate’s actions, after which he’ll promptly go on World Apology Tour 3.0 … Bet on it!

33. 23 says: Jun 8, 2010 5:55 PM

The cops were pissed that they didn’t find a way in before Tate & his buddy or else there would have been no crime to commit.
    I think he should be working the counter at Top Pot. I’m hoping he’s smarter than some of the other Golden Domer’s I’ve met and can make change …
    BTW, who would name a donut shop “Top Pot” unless you’re just TRYIN’ to get someone to break into the place under false pretenses ?

34. robert ethen says: Jun 8, 2010 6:02 PM

Two officers were injured in a melee when one of the donuts fell onto the ground.

35. Howie Handles says: Jun 8, 2010 6:02 PM

I’ve never been in trouble before, but once I went pro, I figured, “why not”. Celebrity justice is different from non celebrity justice.

36. TommyBoy123 says: Jun 8, 2010 6:05 PM

I am just amazed, although I don’t know why, that Coach Carroll doesn’t understand that Mr. Tate was caught “stealing”….obviously Mom and Dad Tate didn’t teach that lesson!

37. hawksnest says: Jun 8, 2010 6:08 PM

i thought dounut stores were open 24hrs a day

38. GB3Pack4 says: Jun 8, 2010 6:15 PM

Pete Carroll may come to rue the day he laughed off this first, just-tryin’-out-my-power-stunt.

39. TrindonHolliday says: Jun 8, 2010 6:18 PM

He’s a 20 something year old kid, let him make mistakes and dont over analyze everything because its the offseason, he stole a donut…let it go

40. Occam says: Jun 8, 2010 6:24 PM

“Top Pot” Palindromic doughnuts!
    Murder for a jar of red rum.

41. DICECOLDSR says: Jun 8, 2010 6:32 PM

HEY ROVIBE,
    WHY DON’T YOU TAKE YOUR PATHETIC POLITICAL AGENDA SOMEWHERE IT’S WARRANTED. OH YEAH, AND GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT.

42. Bing253 says: Jun 8, 2010 6:42 PM

No reason to appologize to Top Pot because nothing was damaged and they are going to benefit financially due to all the free pub they are getting. Plus they are an official sponsor of the Seahawks so they are getting their moneys worth out of this situation

43. TheDPR says: Jun 8, 2010 7:03 PM

>>>>>>>
    I agree. He was too much of a “player’s coach” in New England and let the team Parcells built slowly fall into a shambles. Pete belongs in an inherently corrupt system like USC/NCAA football where discipline doesn’t matter because the sanctions won’t come until you’ve moved on to another job.
    Robbing a closed store is a laughing matter to Pete? He hasn’t coached a game for the Seahawks yet and already the inmates are running the asylum.
    That team should have stuck with Mora. Even though he’s a mediocre coach, the expectations were mediocre as well. The expectations are over Pete’s head, I’m afraid.

44. Ryan35 says: Jun 8, 2010 7:03 PM

What an Idiot! Just like the guy that said “he’s a 20 something yr old kid.” You can’t be serious you dont think a 20 yr old understands what stealing is? What is wrong with our society?

45. Kaz says: Jun 8, 2010 7:05 PM

Did Big Ben write his statement? That was the worst…

46. ohmygato says: Jun 8, 2010 7:05 PM

What probably happened was the baker got Tate in and a manager came in and was like, “What the crap!?” He probably called the police before the baker A: explained that he had let him in and B: he lives upstairs and C: probably most importantly, we just signed an agreement with the Seahawks so we probably shouldnt send him to jail.

47. effs420 says: Jun 8, 2010 7:09 PM

hrmlss says:
    June 8, 2010 5:43 PM
    ——————————————-
    you’re stupid.
    rovibe says:
    June 8, 2010 5:51 PM
    ———————————————
    so are you. pointless hyerbole does nothing to help. stop making us look bad.

48. Tinbender says: Jun 8, 2010 7:14 PM

Notre Dame ain’t gots no english classes?
    And yes, Top Pot should have been #1 on the apology list.

49. cutplax says: Jun 8, 2010 7:20 PM

Yet another criminal on the Seagulls, the Bengals of the NFC.

50. mcgr8569 says: Jun 8, 2010 7:31 PM

Rovibe-
    Well done sir. I think W told Tate to go steal those donuts.
    DICECOLDSR-
    I CAN TALK IN ALL CAPS TOO! WAY TO PERPETUATE THE STEREOTYPE, DOUCHE. PRETTY SURE IT WAS A JOKE AND THERE WERE NO FACTS IN HIS STATEMENT ANYWAYS

51. smithopher says: Jun 8, 2010 8:17 PM

Were there employees there? I don’t remember hearing about breaking and entering before the incident… If he broke in that’d be another issue. It sounds like an employee was thinking like Oh Snap, That’s Golden Tate and gave him some free donuts. The owners of the donut franchise were like OK, we’ll let the guy get away with it, but since he didn’t have our permission, we’ll act like he did something wrong and get our name out there. Sounds about right to me.

52. spamsammich says: Jun 8, 2010 8:18 PM

Y’all have obviously never had a maple bar.

53. Dixon29 says: Jun 8, 2010 8:21 PM

Hard to believe there is no mention of alcohol or drugs in any of this.
    You can’t really blame the guy though, I mean, his old coach at ND would eat a dozen BEFORE breakfast!

54. Laxer37 says: Jun 8, 2010 8:48 PM

Ricky Williams is a big fan of Top Pot.

55. FumbleNuts says: Jun 8, 2010 10:57 PM

After running the wrong routes again he needed some “comfort” food!

56. librarychick says: Jun 11, 2010 6:46 PM

Over-privileged, ill-mannered, and under-educated boor. It’s called B&E and if you or I had succumbed to the allure of a maple bar in the same we would have been arrested right quick.
    Coach is a jerk as well for supporting this kind of stuff. Hope the kid gives him big-time headaches this season.