Greg Jones wonders what might have been

Greg Jones of the Jaguars isn’t complaining about a good NFL career in which he’s made millions of dollars and been acclaimed as one of the league’s best blocking fullbacks. He does wonder, however, how much better his career might have been if he had stayed healthy.

“Yeah, I think about that sometimes when I’m working out, when I’m at home by myself,” Jones told Vito Stellino of the Florida Times-Union.”

Jones tore his right ACL in college at Florida State and then tore his left ACL in training camp in 2006. He acknowledges that he wonders whether he’d be a featured ball carrier, and not a lead blocker, without those injuries — but he doesn’t allow himself to wonder too much.

“What if I didn’t have the second knee injury? What if I didn’t have the first? You can play that game with yourself all day, and you’ll go crazy. It is what it is. It’s life. You’ve got to take the punches, the good and the bad and just roll with it,” he said Monday, his first day of practice since a December ankle injury.

Jones was Florida State’s leading rusher at the time he blew out his knee during his junior year, and he was also the team’s leading rusher as a sophomore. If he had been healthy, he might have been an every-down running back in the NFL. But he’s not complaining.

“I know I’m tough,” Jones said. “I’ve battled through injuries in the past. If something is broken, it’s got to get fixed. That’s how I look at it.”

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
13 Responses to “Greg Jones wonders what might have been”
  1. po knows football says: Jun 8, 2010 10:23 AM

You could ask the same thing about Frank Gore. If he had the speed he had before both his knee injuries he’d probably be damn near unstoppable.

2. SteelCurtnDee says: Jun 8, 2010 10:35 AM

I think he would be… He was a BEAST at FSU, still delivered probably the best trucking I’ve ever seen on that UNC safety.

3. Cannon says: Jun 8, 2010 10:49 AM

BEAST

4. dafish says: Jun 8, 2010 10:58 AM

Well, he kind of got forced into a fullback role due to circumstances. Great guy when he’s in, but due to the injuries, we’ve not gotten much bang for our buck from him to date. You can only live off the Youtube highlights and college glory for so long before you have to produce at the pro level. I think he’s too fragile for a fullback. Perhaps his body is not built for the weight he had to put on to become an NFL fullback.
    Personally, I wish we would have picked up Jason McKie in the inevitable case that Jones was injured again.

5. Jag4Life says: Jun 8, 2010 11:13 AM

Truly dominant his entire career at FSU up until the injuries. His blocking is second to none in the NFL and he’s a quality ball carrier when need be. I was glad when the Jags gave him a long term deal a year ago, well deserved.

6. favrecansuckit says: Jun 8, 2010 11:29 AM

A number of excellent college backs over the years with similar situations…Greg Jones, Gore’s knee injuries, Michael Bush breaking his leg, Willis McGahee’s knee exploding…

7. Tdk24 says: Jun 8, 2010 11:31 AM

Look at Terry Allen and Robert Smith. They did fine with fake knees.

8. Big Stretch says: Jun 8, 2010 11:43 AM

@ dafish says: June 8, 2010 10:58 AM
    —————————————-
    MJD would disagree with you — http://tinyurl.com/2e4j6h6

9. robert ethen says: Jun 8, 2010 12:30 PM

Yeah, too bad about the injuries. Otherwise we might actually know which Jones this guy was.

10. Popeye says: Jun 8, 2010 1:07 PM

I could ask myself, “what if I was Peter North”? but I don’t, Id just get depressed

11. jj jones says: Jun 8, 2010 1:11 PM

Before his first knee injury at FSU, he was destined to be a first round pick. He still made himself into a great fullback.

12. dafish says: Jun 8, 2010 3:37 PM

Big Stretch,
    the key point is “when he is in”.

13. KM91 says: Jun 8, 2010 6:01 PM

I wish the Jags would give him the ball more often, but he really has been a solid guy during his time here in J-ville. I hope he manages to stay healthy.