Report: Golden Tate avoids arrest in donut store incident

Earlier today, we told you to keep your eyes peeled for an unusual story.

And here it is.

The folks at TMZ report that Seahawks receiver Golden Tate was apprehended early Saturday inside a Top Pot donut shop in Bellevue, Washington.  The problem?  The donut store wasn’t open for business at the time.

Per the report, Tate received a “trespass warning,” but he wasn’t arrested.

As we hear it, Tate entered the store with another person and feasted on donuts.  We’re told that the folks at Top Pot opted not to press charges, which helped Tate avoid arrest.

Meanwhile, Tate boasted in April that he’d never get in any trouble.

“Being at Notre Dame, you’re used to being under the microscope, so I’m
used to
having all eyes on me,” Tate told 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh.  “Anything I do, anywhere I go.  My
mother and my father
taught me what’s right and what’s wrong, so I don’t think I have a
problem
making any tough decisions
.”

Apparently, he didn’t have to make any “tough decisions” between glazed and cream-filled.  He simply ate both.

Permalink 115 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Legal, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Top Stories
115 Responses to “Report: Golden Tate avoids arrest in donut store incident”
  1. PackerFanTastic says: Jun 8, 2010 2:18 PM

Sounds like he is working on an endorsement deal with Top Pop.

2. The Real Shuxion says: Jun 8, 2010 2:19 PM

——————————————————
    Are we sure there was no pot involved?

3. Steeler4life says: Jun 8, 2010 2:20 PM

Can you say future Raven?

4. Evpimp says: Jun 8, 2010 2:20 PM

Since you play in the NFL we will let this go!
    ohh by the way tell BIG BEN we say Hi!!

5. milehiclown says: Jun 8, 2010 2:20 PM

The fact that the store is named “Top Pot” and he has the late-night munchies is unbelievable. LMFAO.
    It is weed country up there, after all.

6. JetsAreAJoke says: Jun 8, 2010 2:21 PM

“My mother and my father taught me what’s right and what’s wrong, so I don’t think I have a problem making any tough decisions.”
    Does that mean that his mother and father would also break into donut shops?

7. robert ethen says: Jun 8, 2010 2:21 PM

Tate’s efforts to disguise his identity by wearing sunglasses was in vain.

8. Levito says: Jun 8, 2010 2:21 PM

he was caught in a doughnut store in the middle of the night, chowing down?
    Someone drug test this guy immediately.

9. WarrenMoonGOAT says: Jun 8, 2010 2:22 PM

really weird, theres got to be more to this story

10. UBB says: Jun 8, 2010 2:22 PM

DOH!!!

11. dustyschmidt22 says: Jun 8, 2010 2:23 PM

so if i own a donut shop, its closed, yet people still walk in to eat, theres a chance they could get arrested?

12. Free_Ryan_Leaf says: Jun 8, 2010 2:23 PM

Already into that northwest wacky tabacky I see.

13. Tinbender says: Jun 8, 2010 2:23 PM

“As we hear it, Tate entered the store with another person and feasted on donuts. ”
    ————————————————–
    Was the other person JaMarcus? Sorry, that was too easy.

14. alewatcher says: Jun 8, 2010 2:23 PM

Mmmmm, donuts.
    Maybe the name confused him and he though there was pot?

15. HarrisonHits says: Jun 8, 2010 2:23 PM

I’d say you were making this up if it wasn’t so bizarre that it would be hard to imagine anyone coming up with something like this.
    Tate; “Hey buddy, lets kick the door in and pig out on donuts !”
    Tate’s friend; “Oh yeah baby, that’s gonna get us some serious street rep! Let’s do it !”

16. Fat_Old_Sun says: Jun 8, 2010 2:24 PM

ummm – stoned? Munchies?
    Breaking and entering? Theft?
    No charges?
    So its ok for me to do that?

17. CommanderShepard says: Jun 8, 2010 2:24 PM

He didn’t have trouble making tough decisions. He wanted donuts and there was a donut shop. Decision was easy.

18. rovibe says: Jun 8, 2010 2:25 PM

Oh, man… The clown couldn’t even wait until he was under contract and actually making some money before he screwed up. Bet his agent is having fits right now.

19. Who Better Than Junior says: Jun 8, 2010 2:25 PM

I can’t wait to see the lines when he puts up a donut on the stat sheet.

20. superfan99 says: Jun 8, 2010 2:26 PM

Mmm…donuts.

21. maddenchamp610 says: Jun 8, 2010 2:27 PM

i wonder how much “top pot” he was smoking before going in there……..

22. God's Own Silver and Blue says: Jun 8, 2010 2:27 PM

“Top Pot Donuts”? All the cosmic tumblers clicked into place when they picked that name, that’s for sure.

23. Common Sense says: Jun 8, 2010 2:27 PM

Priceless!!!!

24. ninjapleazee says: Jun 8, 2010 2:28 PM

momma raised u well

25. DanSnyderSux says: Jun 8, 2010 2:29 PM

You just can’t make this stuff up.

26. raiders177 says: Jun 8, 2010 2:29 PM

JaMarcus Russell is somehow behind this.

27. davidc45629 says: Jun 8, 2010 2:30 PM

His companion HAD to be an employee or they wouldn’t have been able to enter a closed business. That’s why no charges are being filed, I’m sure.

28. Yumacactus says: Jun 8, 2010 2:30 PM

He just wants to be a cop….leave him alone.

29. CanadianVikingFan says: Jun 8, 2010 2:31 PM

So he walked in, and started eating doughnuts? If they weren’t open for business, isn’t that stealing?
    There is something missing in the story. Either they still sold him doughnuts, or he stole them and ate them in front of the people there.
    This is stupid.

30. DcNinerFan says: Jun 8, 2010 2:31 PM

Lol, great name for store… Top Pot. Got the munchies, maybe? Wonder why the cops didn’t do a blood test…

31. Contra says: Jun 8, 2010 2:31 PM

The way things were going I immediately assumed it was a member of the Packers.

32. SpeedingToaster says: Jun 8, 2010 2:32 PM

Nothing like a good drunkeness to send your judgement sailing…

33. EverybodyGotAIDS says: Jun 8, 2010 2:32 PM

Who can honestly say they haven’t broken into a donut shop in the middle of the night to eat day old donuts when the situation called for it?

34. underwriter says: Jun 8, 2010 2:33 PM

Can you say future Raven?
    ——————————————–
    Typical Steeler fan. Last time I checked your Police blotter had plenty of activity. We are CLEAN…..

35. stiller43 says: Jun 8, 2010 2:33 PM

Probably BLAZED.

36. vanhelsing says: Jun 8, 2010 2:34 PM

send him to jail, then he can feast on glazed and cream-filled all the time

37. sergep says: Jun 8, 2010 2:34 PM

Top Pot says everythings cool with Golden Tate and that he was in the store at 3 AM because he lives in the building and knows the baker. He wanted a donut

38. robert ethen says: Jun 8, 2010 2:35 PM

How long until we see the Golden Tate ad…..
    “Top Pot donuts, so delicious you would break into the store in the middle of the night just to have one….Chomp, chomp…”.

39. lifelongphinfan says: Jun 8, 2010 2:36 PM

this is absurd.what in the hell is in the water/air or whatever that makes people with such promising futures do stupid things like this?and btw i think top pot did the wrong thing in letting this slide because i believe it sends the wrong message to this young man.he needs to be shown that it don’t matter who you think you are when you do wrong you should have to face it not be givin a free pass

40. NashvilleSeahawk says: Jun 8, 2010 2:37 PM

Just freaking great!
    Thanks for letting us know what Showtime really means.
    It is imperative that for you to be a Seahawk fan you must have a direct genetic connection to Job.

41. mama tried says: Jun 8, 2010 2:39 PM

He thought they sold hash brownies!

42. Really? says: Jun 8, 2010 2:39 PM

This is what you were hoping people would come back to check for repeatedly? Weak.

43. silverback says: Jun 8, 2010 2:39 PM

He must have heard that those donuts tate delicious!

44. Citizen Strange says: Jun 8, 2010 2:40 PM

New Name: Golden Taint

45. RayDaMayor says: Jun 8, 2010 2:43 PM

The Real Shuxion wrote:
    Are we sure there was no pot involved?
    ———————————
    No pot involved….they cook donuts in a vat.
    You can thank me later….

46. birdmancometh says: Jun 8, 2010 2:43 PM

Lay off him, who here hasn’t broken into a donut shop to cure the munchies after a night of green?! Funniest thing i’ve heard in a LONG time.

47. Florio-is-a-tool says: Jun 8, 2010 2:48 PM

New name: JaMarcus Tate.

48. Dapollock says: Jun 8, 2010 2:51 PM

Big Ben would have put the hole in the donut.

49. DEMOLITION says: Jun 8, 2010 2:52 PM

Season tickets and a couple thousands dollars coming right up!

50. omegalh says: Jun 8, 2010 2:53 PM

Why is staying out of trouble a “tough decision”? I don’t get people.

51. Bob_Lawbla says: Jun 8, 2010 2:54 PM

According to local Law inforcement “there was just too many holes in the doughnut case to warrant further investigation into Mr Tate.” In other news JaMarcus Russell falls into a diabetic coma and is rushed to a Seattle hospital with what appears to be some sort of a glazed substance caked around his mouth.

52. jamaltimore says: Jun 8, 2010 2:55 PM

The beginning of another storied ND Pro Football Career. My bet is he’ll be remembered more for this than ANYTHING he does on the field.
    At least he has his ND education that lead him to believe he could actually break into a store and then hang out there to eat without getting anyone showing up to investigate!

53. sricko says: Jun 8, 2010 2:55 PM

Funny story but the Seahawks management can’t be laughing.

54. Catch22 says: Jun 8, 2010 2:58 PM

What the hell else is there to do in Seattle? I bet this is the only thing you can do for entertainment. Stupid rainy Seattle.

55. alewatcher says: Jun 8, 2010 2:58 PM

The charge would have been “Breaking and Eating”

56. The Real Shuxion says: Jun 8, 2010 3:00 PM

# RayDaMayor says: June 8, 2010 2:43 PM
    The Real Shuxion wrote:
    Are we sure there was no pot involved?
    ———————————
    No pot involved….they cook donuts in a vat.
    You can thank me later….
    ——————————————————
    PUNCHLINE….HEYOOOOOOO

57. Occam says: Jun 8, 2010 3:02 PM

Shoot! I was going to name my donut place, “Top Pot.”
    Now I’ll have to go with my second choice: “Get Stoned And Eat Donuts.”

58. silverback says: Jun 8, 2010 3:03 PM

Typical Seahawks thug. Maybe he can room with Leroy Hill.
    Rocky Bernard beating women, Golden tate breaking and entering, Leroy Hill assault, Terreal Bierria murderer, Owen Schmitt, Jerame Stevens and Koren Robinson and their DUI’s,
    The league needs to step in and do something about that dirty organization before the tarnish the league’s image any more. They are the Bengals of the NFC!!!

59. TheBengal13 says: Jun 8, 2010 3:06 PM

Three things I’m thankful about when hearing this story:
    1.) The perpetrator wasn’t a Bengals 2010 draft pick.
    2.) The Bengals didn’t draft Golden Tate.
    3.) Jordan Shipley.

60. NinersFanInMisery says: Jun 8, 2010 3:09 PM

he’s an NFL player, they can walk on water and snort cocaine while running over an old lady in broad daylight….this isnt even a story

61. stan26 says: Jun 8, 2010 3:13 PM

How can there not be an arrest?

62. Kaz says: Jun 8, 2010 3:14 PM

This should be enough for the Commish to place him in the substance abuse program as a first time offender. For further proof look no further than the sun glasses on at 3am…

63. mac1515 says: Jun 8, 2010 3:14 PM

My friend Bhol did this exact samething in Chicago, but it was a muffin store. He was looking for Muffin Tops.

64. BLeedGreeN4Life says: Jun 8, 2010 3:15 PM

I’m not even gonna say this is a stupid story because it’s just to funny.

65. Outfoxed says: Jun 8, 2010 3:17 PM

Buckle your seat belts for this one folks!!!
    You see it all started out with a bet. Yes a couple of innocent young men were out on the town until late and the ultimate challenge was given: I betcha you can’t eat two dozen doughnuts in under ten minutes. “Wow”, said Tate “I can do that .” Tate thought hmm there is no 24 hours shop open but I have the answer to that!!!!!
    He slipped an envelope into the locked mailbox prior to entering the unopened doughnut shop. “What was that for,” Tate’s partner said. “Oh never mind,” Tate said as he popped the lock to the door and started salivating thinking of what was in store for them.
    Tate was on his second dozen doughnuts in under 7 minutes as his partner timed him on his new Rolex. You only have 3 minutes to go and 7 more jelly filled to go.
    That’s when the police busted in expecting to be alone as they themselves consumed large quantities of doughnuts late at night at the owners insistence so that there would be police presence in the store at night. Tate was just shoving his 4th to last doughnut in his sugar powdered face as the police stood face to face with the culprits.
    “Hey you are a football player,” said the largest of the two policemen, “Yes I am,” sugar face replied.
    “How are you gonna pay for those doughnuts with nobody here?” the large one asked again.
    “Oh, I have that figured out,” Tate smiled back. “What do you mean?” asked the smaller of the cops.
    “Well you see,” Tate started, “My parents taught me to be honest and never steal, I HAD to have doughnuts tonight. Nothing else was opened so before I entered I shoved an envelop in the mailbox with a one hundred dollar bill in it for the doughnuts accompanied by a letter explaining what I was doing and that I was sorry to be an intruder but having doughnuts at this hour was a must.”
    The fat cops replied,”Well did you eat $100 worth of doughnuts?” “No” replied Tate, “So the rest of the night is on me.”
    “Yippee,” Yelled the rotund officer as he shoved a whole chocolate eclair into his mouth without spilling a drop of the sugar powder. Tate he wished he could eat doughnuts like the officer.
    And that my friends is the REST OF THE STORY.

66. inmotion2207 says: Jun 8, 2010 3:20 PM

I’m sure all of you butt holes that are always looking for something negative to say about an athlete don’t have the foresight nor comprehension to see that this is an apparent mix up. Why would a potential star athlete who just got drafted by and NFL team- who will no doubt very soon be a multi millionare break into a doughnut shop? Really?
    Obviously the door was open during non operating hours and obviously someone probably gave him the doughnuts which is why no charges were made. Dummies

67. robert ethen says: Jun 8, 2010 3:20 PM

Sleepless and Clueless in Seattle.

68. Buffalo Hogan says: Jun 8, 2010 3:24 PM

The bigger news is that Mike Holmgren was back in town…

69. this class sucks says: Jun 8, 2010 3:26 PM

@TheBengal13
    I think you guys got the better of the two WRs in the long run. Not just because of Tate’s donut lust either.

70. beer_beer_beer_beer says: Jun 8, 2010 3:26 PM

so they have the Top Pot?

71. PRIDEin253 says: Jun 8, 2010 3:26 PM

Golden lives in the same building as Top Pot, just a couple floors up from the shop. Apparently he went down there, was able to get in as if it was open, and simply spooked the bakers that were in there. I guess once they realized who he was they felt bad, but since the cops showed up they had to issue a trespassing warning. Meh.

72. realitypolice says: Jun 8, 2010 3:31 PM

mac1515 says:
    June 8, 2010 3:14 PM
    =============
    That is awesome.

73. realitypolice says: Jun 8, 2010 3:33 PM

inmotion2207 says:
    June 8, 2010 3:20 PM
    =========================
    Obviously- because NFL athletes never do something stupid or break the law.

74. inmotion2207 says: Jun 8, 2010 3:33 PM

If he had really broken into the store the owner and or manager doesn’t have the right not to press charges, his ass would have gotten locked up and they would have figured it out later. So again there is more to this story that meets the eye. PFT just need to talk about anything until training camp starts.

75. larazaboycottazgoahead says: Jun 8, 2010 3:37 PM

fits right in with the chickens…

76. Belichick Is God says: Jun 8, 2010 3:37 PM

————————————————–
    The other person had to be Charlie Weiss.

77. birdmancometh says: Jun 8, 2010 3:38 PM

I want to hang out with Golden Tate…

78. SeahawkAddicts.com says: Jun 8, 2010 3:41 PM

Maybe PFT could update this story with a few facts. Softy Mahler (KJR 950 AM, a local sports radio station) has spoken with the involved parties. Tate lives in the same building as the donut shop and is friends with one of the bakers. He did not break into the shop (nowhere has anyone reported he did) — it was a trespassing warning that was undoubtedly given to him and his friend (presumably the baker who works there).
    There’s a reason TMZ was the first to report this story, and that reason is that it’s not a story. No crime was committed, it was just a silly thing that happened. Obviously I’m biased, but come on, this one doesn’t even pass the sniff test.
    That said, if you’re ever in Seattle, Top Pot really is phenomenal, and few people in the area haven’t had passing thoughts of breaking in and feasting at 3 am on a Saturday morning.

79. Y2Cale says: Jun 8, 2010 3:42 PM

Goldie want num nums?

80. Occam says: Jun 8, 2010 3:42 PM

Dear Golden,
    Just tell the police that the donuts said, “Yes,” and everything will be fine.
    Your pal,
    B. Roethlisburger

81. Bob Nelson says: Jun 8, 2010 3:43 PM

What doughnut store is closed at 3 am?
    Don’t they know who their customers are?
    The guy is a rookie and would expect any doughnut store to be open then.
    Eating the doughnuts before paying for them was the stupid thing to do.
    I’m sure plenty of police officers were anxious to respond to this call.
    Expect Golden to have a few lectures on nutrition.

82. The_One_Brent says: Jun 8, 2010 3:48 PM

Yo Mac1515 I know that dude BHOl he down in the NATI bustin up Dunkin Donuts now!!!

83. RJK says: Jun 8, 2010 3:51 PM

i don’t understand??? was the donut shop left unlocked at night? did they break in? how the hell did he get inside of a closed establishment in the middle of the night?

84. Diesteelersdie says: Jun 8, 2010 3:53 PM

Not only would Pig Ben put a hole in the donut, steeler fans would say the donut asked for it and it was DTF!
    The real question is….who names their kid Golden??

85. mac1515 says: Jun 8, 2010 3:57 PM

the_one_brent, dont think it same dude. Dude craves large muffin tops!!! any flavor!!! also has super red face all the time. is this the same guy?

86. Xpensive Wino says: Jun 8, 2010 3:57 PM

Well, we can be certain of two things; 1). Pete Carroll is not laughing his ass off right at the moment………and 2). I know where I’m going tonight!

87. Tdk24 says: Jun 8, 2010 3:58 PM

The store probably felt sorry for the guy being named Golden Tate. I hear he has a cousin named Foldin Chair.

88. rovibe says: Jun 8, 2010 3:58 PM

Here’s why they aren’t pressing charges: Top Pot recently inked a deal to become the official coffee and donut partner of Qwest Field — home of the Seattle Seahawks. Coincidence? Highly doubtful. You can bet the Seahawks’ front office made a fast phone call, and all was taken care of.

89. Ravens Macg says: Jun 8, 2010 3:58 PM

@sQueeler4life
    What do you think rapistsburger would be doing with a donut if he was there? Certainly not eating it !!!!

90. robert ethen says: Jun 8, 2010 4:00 PM

No one wants to wait until they open at 6 AM. Damn donuts would be 3 hours old by that time.

91. favrecansuckit says: Jun 8, 2010 4:06 PM

Maybe I’m crazy, but isn’t it possible that someone who works at “Top Pot” would’ve been too high to remember to lock the door when they left? Or set off an alarm if they re-entered with Tate

92. Cornerdenizen says: Jun 8, 2010 4:07 PM

Seahwaksaddict.com
    Thanks for the details.
    Question for you: as you seem a pretty reasonable person, do you think the TMZ brand of “journalism” –which is quite pervasive in today’s news market– will completely overtake legitmitate reporting and story writing?
    or is this just a fad–where bitter morons are the only audience worth adressing–that, like all fads, eventually fades away?

93. The_One_Brent says: Jun 8, 2010 4:11 PM

@mac1515 says:
    June 8, 2010 3:57 PM
    Confirmed this is same guy!!! He is a pastry offender in the Nati cant be within 100 yds of any pastry shops

94. DallasRavens says: Jun 8, 2010 4:18 PM

Steeler4life says:
    June 8, 2010 2:20 PM
    Can you say future Raven?
    _________________________________
    You’re a moron….

95. chargerrich says: Jun 8, 2010 4:21 PM

There is ZERO chance that there is not more to this story… a lot more.
    Come on Florio, get off your ass and investimagate!

96. inmotion2207 says: Jun 8, 2010 4:22 PM

@realitypolice: There are over 2,000 NFL players not counting the practice squads. Yes they do get in trouble and yes some of them do stupid things. What I’m talking about is a rush to judgement based on less than the facts and jealousy and envy.
    We should never put people in the same category because a few of them do stupid things, but this story was obviously too stupid to print and as it turns out all of the facts were not stated. Also you should never let the media make up your mind for you

97. CaCheesehead says: Jun 8, 2010 4:27 PM

___________________
    I’m guessing the other person was none other than Homer Simpson

98. dmonzel says: Jun 8, 2010 4:29 PM

As someone who has lived his entire life near Seattle and just had the pleasure of enjoying some Top Pot donuts this past weekend, I can say that I understand why he did this. They are damn delicious.

99. hineswardcriesafterfumbling says: Jun 8, 2010 4:30 PM

On a fairly funny article, with very funny comments (kudos to all), the best one in my opinion is:
    Foldin Chair. Made my eyes water for a while.

100. funi says: Jun 8, 2010 4:46 PM

How did he get into the donut shop if it was not open? Isn’t that breaking and entering? Suspend this man 4 games commish!!!

101. Count Sacula says: Jun 8, 2010 4:48 PM

vanhelsing says:
    June 8, 2010 2:34 PM
    send him to jail, then he can feast on glazed and cream-filled all the time
    ___________________________________
    Haha, good one.

102. mob_barley says: Jun 8, 2010 4:55 PM

two points to make on this one…
    1: it’s Seattle… We LOVE our Seahawks.
    2. it’s Seattle… we LOVE our weed.

103. AlanSaysYo says: Jun 8, 2010 4:57 PM

And so was born the phrase “Blaze n Glaze.”

104. This is not news says: Jun 8, 2010 5:01 PM

Publicity Stunt?

105. Cambodian Breast Milk says: Jun 8, 2010 5:11 PM

He was simply saving the life of an overweight Police Officer by eating the donuts before he could get to them. Besides, its a donut shop, not a bank he’s hanging in after hours. Moron.

106. Bing253 says: Jun 8, 2010 5:21 PM

It’s not breaking and entering when an employee with key let’s you in it’s just tresspassing and I’m sure Roger will have a chat with him. I find the entire thing funny it’s not like he killed someone or assaulted a women he wanted a maple bar and got his buddy to let him in

107. hawksnest says: Jun 8, 2010 6:05 PM

top pot dounts advertizes on espn radio here in seattle

108. Carly Syms says: Jun 8, 2010 7:27 PM

Amazing.
    Can’t make this stuff up.

109. vanhelsing says: Jun 8, 2010 7:29 PM

… coming soon to a movie theater near you…
    where one man’s marijuana lust meets up with the same man’s food lust…
    “DONUT RUN”
    starring ICE T in the role he has grown into

110. CJ says: Jun 8, 2010 8:04 PM

I always have to chuckle when some goofball poster calls you TMZfootballtalk.com (or similar).
    However, refusing to post a story until TMZ of all people confirm it reflects some pretty low standards on your part.
    I get the whole don’t want to go sued thing yet still want to be the first to report it, but really come on. Either report it or wait for something more credible than TMZ to confirm it. You act like TMZ is a legit news site.

111. Siggy00 says: Jun 8, 2010 8:48 PM

Suspend him!

112. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: Jun 8, 2010 10:30 PM

Real men like pink donuts.

113. texasPHINSfan says: Jun 9, 2010 2:19 AM

That’s crazy, I live right across the street from there. Golden Tate breaking into the business across the street?
    There goes the neighborhood!!
    But seriously, that’s so weird.

114. Dahak1772 says: Jun 9, 2010 1:36 PM

The Stores in question cannot keep the maple donuts in stock. They are selling truck loads of these things.

115. jahmic says: Jun 9, 2010 3:29 PM

You guys can not even understand how boring Bellevue can be… (Think suburban nightmare) He (and the donut shop) probably are at that corner of the mall, and shut down about about 9:00 pm… uh, that’s no beer served too…
    God, living like that you must be desperate for some action. He would be better off moving to somewhere like Belltown (downtown Seattle) where he can some real fun and nobody will complain.