Charlie Batch thinks a lockout is coming

Count Pittsburgh Steelers backup quarterback and union representative Charlie Batch as one who believes the owners will lock out the players in nine months.

“As we speak today, I think it would occur in March,” Batch said, per Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Batch said he tells fellow players all the time that they should be ready not to play football (and not to collect paychecks) next year.

“I’ve been telling people for over [a year], warning our players of a lockout, and there are no signs that say we’re closer, and we’re not,” he said. “You can see by the comments from our executive director where he thinks the labor negotiations are. One thing DeMaurice [Smith] has done, he’s gotten the message out to the players so they’re not hearing it through the media. He’s trying to do everything in his power to get a deal done.”

Batch said he hopes he’s wrong, but he doesn’t see a lot of progress being made.

“I would like to think not because nobody wins in that situation,” Batch said. “Everybody should be trying to put a fair deal on the table. Both sides have to be honest as possible. It’s not happening.”

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
34 Responses to “Charlie Batch thinks a lockout is coming”
  1. Bronconation24 says: Jun 9, 2010 3:06 PM

Firsst!!
    but that would suck…really :(

2. Chris says: Jun 9, 2010 3:08 PM

Props to Batch for speaking out
    its a shame that the greatest sport is being tainted with the root of all evil, money.
    One party has to be the better group and make a compromise.
    Why would you ruin a “product” that is only getting better and better by the year, its a lose-lose situation if there is a lockout
    And if there is, replacement players will get a chance to shine, maybe some of them have some game, who knows
    if i could play NFL football , i would play for peanuts, but thats just me because I love the game, its easy for me to say because i dont know what its like to actually put my “body on the line” every weekend,
    so somebody get something done before you take away the 1 thing a lot of us have to look forward to every year in life
    forget the 4 seasonal changes, theres only 2 seasons, football season and non-football season.

3. Flipadelphia says: Jun 9, 2010 3:10 PM

Players better smarten up and fire D-Bag Smith.

4. Chapnasty2 says: Jun 9, 2010 3:12 PM

We can see that Smith is an idiot and has made you guys look like fools. It is too bad that the players will just follow this guy without knowing what he is doing to them. If I had the ability to have a soapbox where players would hear fromt he fans I’d tell them this: “We want football and will watch the UFL if he have to. Hell we will watch and support SCABS while you guys protest for another million or so dollars a year.”

5. kingmj4891 says: Jun 9, 2010 3:12 PM

Hey players u need to do the right thing and take the pay cut. Its not a whole lot in the grand scheme of things the NFL is making more moeny then every hence players will make more then ever even with the pay cut. Power to the owners. Because players are getting greedy the owners want more money to invest into the game and expand it hence make more money which will mean more for the pl

6. fleet10 says: Jun 9, 2010 3:14 PM

only in America is properly divying up billions of dollars in revenue an arduous task…………

7. AlanSaysYo says: Jun 9, 2010 3:15 PM

Smith is a little boy at the big boys’ table. He’s got no idea what he’s in right now.
    I still have faith he’ll cave and there will be no lockout, but it’ll be at the expense of the players.

8. KnuckleBucket says: Jun 9, 2010 3:17 PM

Charlie Batch is an idiot. I would be amazed if the owners let a year go by with no revenue from a season of football.

9. Brad Miller says: Jun 9, 2010 3:17 PM

Sucks to be a college senior with NFL potential after this year.

10. robert ethen says: Jun 9, 2010 3:20 PM

My prediction is that Charlie gets locked out in October. When Roethlisberger returns.

11. DanSnyderSux says: Jun 9, 2010 3:21 PM

I hope the NFL does have a work stoppage just to see what damage comes from it.

12. Bwa Ha Ha says: Jun 9, 2010 3:39 PM

Bam!!! the light went on!!!…………Duh
    March lockout………….. Suddenly it all makes sense. The Eagles have always stocked up on “next season” draft picks. They did not do that this year, they drafted 11 players, which mad no sense to me until now. You can bet the house that there is going to be a lockout. That all now clicks

13. jackybadass says: Jun 9, 2010 3:43 PM

who cares what this guy thinks! he sucks! he’s a worse qb than vick if thats possible.

14. taylor2136 says: Jun 9, 2010 3:45 PM

Both sides just a bunch of greedy B*stards…the main part of this entire deal is and has always been left out…yes what about the most important factor in all this us (THE FANS) both sides greed only hurts the fans. Ticket prices go up, concessions go up, isn’t it bad enough there’s $8.00 beers, $4.00 water etc., keep up this act and there will be more like me who give up the season tickets and stay home and watch or go to a bar which is still cheaper and less traffic cheaper food/beer etc.,

15. Sneki says: Jun 9, 2010 3:49 PM

Because my Lions actually appear to be progressing for the first time in a decade, I’m certain there is going to be a lockout…something has to foil my dreams of returning to respectability!

16. BoltsFan says: Jun 9, 2010 3:57 PM

Mutual honesty, quite frankly, isn’t the issue here. The biggest hurdle here is the players thinking that they are somehow “entitled” to a certain share of the owners’ revenue. They aren’t. They are entitled only to what the owners agree to pay them, and if they don’t like that, they are free to go try a different occupation or a different league. The owners refuse to let the players see their books, and no employee is entitled to see that anyway. Hence, it is irrelevant. Players seem to think that if they could just see how much the owners are making, then they’d be able to negotiate a “fair” deal. The owners could be making 15 times more money than they are now, but that would NOT entitle the players to be paid 15 times more money. If you want to participate in an enterprise’s profits, then you had better be prepared to pony up and buy a franchise of your own. Otherwise, you work for what an owner will agree to pay you, and not a dime more.

17. TheWien says: Jun 9, 2010 4:07 PM

If there is an NFL lockout in 2011, look for Daunte Culpepper to become a football superstar again as the UFL will be the only thing available (outside of college ball) to satiate people’s football hunger.

18. Fat_Old_Sun says: Jun 9, 2010 4:14 PM

Im siding with the owners at this point. Batch telling everyone a year ago that there will be a lockout tells me that the players aren’t budging over their ridiculous contracts.
    Rookie wage scale is a must.
    Salary cap is a must.
    What I have gathered is that this is more of a strike than a lock out anyway.
    What a sad day it will be if there is a work stoppage. I love football but I will love it less if they decide to not play football for a year.
    Charlie – 4 QB on the roster this year? Buh Bye

19. Jackson says: Jun 9, 2010 4:16 PM

well said BoltsFan. agreed 100%

20. mama tried says: Jun 9, 2010 4:18 PM

Yeah, and my mom is the queen of Scotland!!!
    Y’ALL NEED TO CAN D-BAG SMITH!!

21. Ilovefoolsball says: Jun 9, 2010 4:22 PM

get rid of Smith, he’s not doing a good job.

22. kingmj4891 says: Jun 9, 2010 4:23 PM

@boltsfan could not agree with you more.
    There are hundreds of players willing to play for less then teams in the league are paying these guys. Give them a shot to play. But some say the talent level will go down…true but it will still be good football. College football is good football and the talent level is down so if the owner are smart we might see the replacments 2 very soon if a new CBA isnt reached. And people will wacth cause football is the greatest sport ever.

23. Coyle says: Jun 9, 2010 4:46 PM

The player’s union should be dissolved. Look at what union greed did to the auto companies.

24. BuckyBadger says: Jun 9, 2010 5:03 PM

———————————————–
    Don’t be. The owners know the fans will come back and the revenue lost over one year is nothing with what they can save over several years. Batch is in fact not an idiot at all but one of the more intelligent football players. He has made career out of limited talent.

25. ClownBurger says: Jun 9, 2010 5:09 PM

In order for the League to work they need a salary cap and a rookie cap.
    I’ll happily watch the scabs if the Players refuse those things.

26. RJK says: Jun 9, 2010 5:17 PM

even if there is no football next year there will still be a draft.

27. LexusBrian says: Jun 9, 2010 6:05 PM

DanSnyderSux says:
    June 9, 2010 3:21 PM
    I hope the NFL does have a work stoppage just to see what damage comes from it.
    +1 I hope so too. The NFL needs knocked down a peg or 2. Ain’t gonna happen, but one can dream.

28. jerseykingpin says: Jun 9, 2010 6:08 PM

KnuckleBucket says:
    June 9, 2010 3:17 PM
    ——————————
    YOURA MORON The owner will be paid they made a deal with the TV contracts waiting on this . Well not so long ago the OWNERS LOCKED OUT THE PLAYERS ALREADY . Gee like the owners need the cash not one player will be PAID so how is that hurting the owners pockets THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK

29. prmpft says: Jun 9, 2010 6:09 PM

first, charlie batch has been a GREAT source for nfl news – so it must be true…second 2 words – SCAB BALL!!!

30. jibfest says: Jun 9, 2010 6:21 PM

Lock em out, they make too much money as it is. I don’t know why the owners never got together and made a deal where they only have to pay out so much for rookies. They could have the players union by the short and curlies if they wanted. Of course they are too greedy to even have held out years ago. They could be making even more money.

31. GoBrowns19 says: Jun 9, 2010 6:24 PM

Today, I got yelled at 6 times by two bosses for things my coworkers did. Around 11 I could not fathom being there another 5 1/2 hours. I was bored, upset, cold, the lady next to me was bitching on an on about everything, she had a cold and was sneezing all over the place, I wondered at least 8 times how my life ever came to being a desk jockey, then I came home and ate a frozen pizza for dinner. Oh, and I do all this for $28000 a year because I got laid off from a $50,000 a year job last year due to diminishing business. So these guys can all suck my ass.

32. Steelintn says: Jun 9, 2010 6:55 PM

jackybadass says:
    June 9, 2010 3:43 PM
    ————————————————
    Who cares what you think? I doubt anyone here does…

33. vanhelsing says: Jun 9, 2010 8:26 PM

charlie just let them cut you and then u can start for the pittsburgh scabsters next yeah.

34. Unwashed Villager says: Jun 10, 2010 8:44 AM

Scabs playing is like comic relief every few decades or so. GoBrowns19, amen.