Santa Clara voters approve new stadium for 49ers

The San Francisco 49ers will get a new stadium in Santa Clara.

Although results are still coming in, the early returns were enough for the San Francisco Chronicle to project that Santa Clara voters approved Measure J, the plan to build a new stadium. The voting margin appears to be about 60 percent in favor and 40 percent opposed.

“It looks good,” 49ers President Jed York said Tuesday night. “This is a big step. . . . We look to be playing football in a new stadium in 2014.”

Now that the voters have committed $114 million of taxpayer money, York said he’s confident that the 49ers can come up with the rest, and the entire project — from groundbreaking through the first game — will be done in four years.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
17 Responses to “Santa Clara voters approve new stadium for 49ers”
  1. BaltimoreSports says: Jun 9, 2010 6:21 AM

Congratulations 49er fans!!

2. 49erFanLivingInDallas says: Jun 9, 2010 6:42 AM

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!
    It’s gonna be hard to say goodbye to the ‘stick but I can’t wait to be in the stands for the first ever game in the new stadium.
    I’m going to assume that since they’re going to have a brand spanking new stadium that they’re going to make a serious bid at hosting the Superbowl.
    I’m not quite sure how I feel about that…. but, if San Diego can host them on a regular basis, why shouldn’t the 49ers be able to?
    I just hope that we’ll be playing in a Superbowl long before we get the chance to actually host one.

3. MosesZD says: Jun 9, 2010 7:12 AM

I have to laugh. I live in Nashville, and we had the same kind of campaign. To date we’ve had no significant stimulation in the economy from the Titans (though Bud Adams is doing well) and a 300% hike in our property taxes to pay off the bonds because the stadium sits empty.
    All those concerts, monster truck rallies… None of that stuff happened. Just like it won’t for Santa Clara. So they’ll end up with all kinds of new taxes. Like the 300% property tax increase we got. Or the doubling of taxes and fees on our water bills…
    I will say as a 49er fan, I’m quite happy. The ‘Stick was a piece of junk back in the 1970’s when I used to watch the Giants play there. I’m sure that it’s horrible beyond belief now.
    And, since I don’t live in Santa Clara… And won’t when I move back…. Well, it’s a win-win for me. I’ll get to use the new stadium AND I won’t have to pay for it this time. :)

4. Trips Right, 68 Slant, D Slant says: Jun 9, 2010 7:31 AM

Hit the road Jack… Don’t cha come back no more no more no more no more. Hit the road Jack… Don’t cha come back no morrrrrrrre. What chu say?
    “Nation!

5. joetoronto says: Jun 9, 2010 7:37 AM

So, they’re going to pay for it with I.O.U’s?

6. Babbabooey says: Jun 9, 2010 8:23 AM

That’s great news, but I’m still not getting my hopes up until they start to dig after being promised a new stadium for 15 years now…..

7. The Oven says: Jun 9, 2010 8:24 AM

114m won’t go far towards a new stadium…

8. Darren says: Jun 9, 2010 8:28 AM

Will they change the team name to the Santa Clara 49ers? The San Jose 49ers? 49erMilesFromSF 49ers?

9. NinerSean says: Jun 9, 2010 8:49 AM

This is a huge win for our Niners!!!
    Once we have a new stadium with all the bells and whistles (no we don’t need a tv the size of Texas Jerry) we will once again be a big market team as our pad will generate some sweet cash.
    Even as a Canadian fan with maybe a once every 10 years chance of getting to the new stadium, kudos to the Santa Clarians for getting the job done. Jed and the boys will make your financial commitment worth it!
    Niners Forever!

10. Raider3:16 says: Jun 9, 2010 9:06 AM

To all the happy 49ers fans; enjoy your PSL’s! lmao!

11. mama tried says: Jun 9, 2010 9:31 AM

The Oven says: June 9, 2010 8:24 AM
    114m won’t go far towards a new stadium…
    My thoughts exactly!!
    They’ll still need, oh, say, 800 or so mil!

12. RaiderMight says: Jun 9, 2010 9:31 AM

Congrats for the new stadium to whom ever was looking forward to it.
    Not to be sarc7astic, but…..
    Enjoy the 237 traffic.
    Enjoy the 101 traffic.
    Enjoy the 880 traffic.
    And here I thought traffic there was terrible as it is. It’s going to be a nightmare getting into Santa Clara now. I sure hope they upgrade the infrastructure as part of the final aproval process.

13. raiderrob21 says: Jun 9, 2010 9:42 AM

Congrats 49er fans. Candlecrap was a dump. 5 Super Bowls…shoulda had a new stadium in SF a long time ago. SF loses out big time. Sorry to the people of Santa Clara though. TAX TAX TAX TAX TAX…OUCH!

14. Bob Nelson says: Jun 9, 2010 9:59 AM

The 49’ers had the support and it really wasn’t in doubt. This is the democracy is supposed to work.
    Now there is only one team likely to move to Los Angeles because they never had the guts to put a meaure on the ballot in Minnesota.

15. Ufanforreal says: Jun 9, 2010 11:37 AM

# Bob Nelson says: June 9, 2010 9:59 AM
    ——————————————————
    Oh no don’t forget the mighty JAGS

16. Chapnasty2 says: Jun 9, 2010 11:38 AM

@ joetoronto
    I assume since you are from Canada you don’t understand that most everything done by the government in America is paid for with “IOU’s”

17. Otto Graham says: Jun 24, 2010 6:48 AM