Muhsin Muhammad decides to retire

Long-time Panthers receiver Muhsin Muhammad made his name with toughness and consistency, not speed.

On Thursday, he will mark the end of a productive 14-year career when he announces his retirement at a 12:30PM press conference, according to Steve Reed of the Gaston Gazette.  Muhammad spent 11 of his 14 seasons with the Carolina Panthers, including the last two.

“Moose” earned a starting gig in 1998 after two quiet seasons and was a fixture since.  He led the league in catches in 2000 with 102, then had one of the all time contract year seasons in 2004 when he gained 1,405 yards and scored 16 times.  (Steve Smith was hurt in Week One that year.)

The Bears brought him to Chicago for huge money to fix their wide receiver problem, but Muhammad started dropping passes and the Bears never did fix that quarterback problem.  (Muhammad joined a rookie version of Kyle Orton in 2005.)

Muhammad returned to Carolina in 2008, caught 108 passes over the last two years, and will retire as a member of the Panthers after signing a one-day contract Thursday.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
23 Responses to “Muhsin Muhammad decides to retire”
  1. Brooklyn Eagle says: Jun 10, 2010 10:44 AM

If there are questions about Bruce, does this guy even have a shot?

2. Jon says: Jun 10, 2010 10:48 AM

Good for Moose. He always seemed like a guy who got where he was on hard work as much as talent, and seemed to stay out of trouble. Not a H.O.F’er but the kind of guy you like rooting for.

3. 90ragtop says: Jun 10, 2010 11:01 AM

Good luck and best wishes, Moose. The NFL needs more guys like you.

4. Maddog says: Jun 10, 2010 11:02 AM

Brooklyn Eagle says:
    June 10, 2010 10:44 AM
    If there are questions about Bruce, does this guy even have a shot?
    ———————————————
    No chance. Good solid player for years though.

5. Free Ben 7 says: Jun 10, 2010 11:06 AM

Good luck in the future. He was one of my favorites.

6. Gregg Rosenthal says: Jun 10, 2010 11:23 AM

Brooklyn Eagle — No I don’t think he’ll get HOF consideration. But a great career.

7. CleanSlaton says: Jun 10, 2010 11:24 AM

You were good Moose, but the hall only takes the best. The NFL needs more guys like you.

8. Nacho Libre says: Jun 10, 2010 11:28 AM

A master at his trade, he was consistent in the passing game, but DEVESTATING in the run game and blowing up linebackers and corners in blocking. He was the man, and always a good guy. He was never the superstar despite some big years, but he was always a fan favorite and after meeting him a few times it was easy to see why. We wish you the best Moose and are honored you were a Panther.

9. Canned Heat says: Jun 10, 2010 11:35 AM

Class guy. Good luck in retirement.

10. longestlegs says: Jun 10, 2010 11:35 AM

Good player–
    Sad to see him go.

11. Meat Tuperello says: Jun 10, 2010 11:37 AM

He might get a statute outside of BOA in Charlotte, which would be deserved, a spot in their ring of honor, but he isn’t a hall of famer.
    Great guy.

12. CurseofBoJackson says: Jun 10, 2010 12:00 PM

No HOF, but as most others have acknowledged, pretty damn good career. As a non-panther/bears fan, i always liked the guy as a player.

13. robert ethen says: Jun 10, 2010 12:13 PM

Mush is going to live out his days on a mountain.

14. dnmcgreevy says: Jun 10, 2010 12:27 PM

Jamie Dukes out…Moose in. Let the write in campaign begin.

15. coxypoo says: Jun 10, 2010 12:48 PM

Why shouldn’t he? His numbers tower over Michael Irvin. However if Chris Carter still isn’t in than nobody should be. That is a disgrace that he was not first ballet.

16. songbre says: Jun 10, 2010 1:09 PM

Solid, consistent, great team player … you could come up with a lot of phrases but overall he was a hell of a player and one that opposing defenses had to plan for (at the height of his career) … Best of luck with your retirement and may your post-football career be as fruitful as your playing career was … God Bless !!!

17. D.R.Universal says: Jun 10, 2010 1:38 PM

Cant say we’ll miss you Moose b/c ur so active in the Charlotte community still!
    See ya at the next pickup game!

18. SomeFans says: Jun 10, 2010 1:44 PM

Chris Carter is a disgrace of a person- that’s why he’s not in.

19. coxypoo says: Jun 10, 2010 2:11 PM

Hahaha oh well then I guess OJ Simpson should be removed too. Funny I thought it had to do with how well u played football. Cause if being a good person is the criteria I guess we should put mother Theresa and Pope John Paul in the Hall too. They didn’t play football but they were good people.

20. Dewey Axewoond says: Jun 10, 2010 2:53 PM

C’mon, Gregg. Where is my comment? (Submitted about 10:40 this morning)
    That’s just ridiculous. Capricious censorship–with no rhyme or reason whatsoever.
    What I had said is that Moose isn’t/wasn’t always THAT much of a “good guy”/team player.
    I always liked him, and thought of him that way, until he left the Bears.
    On his way out, he made sure to get in a few cheap shots, saying Chicago is “where WRs go to die”, and putting a lot of blame on Rex and Orton, all while minimizing his OWN losing bout with Chronic Dropsies Syndrome.
    I’ve since forgiven the guy, but I haven’t forgotten.
    (now I’m gonna submit this like 4 times)

21. Dewey Axewoond says: Jun 10, 2010 2:54 PM

C’mon, Gregg. Where is my comment? (Submitted about 10:40 this morning)
    I always liked him, and thought of him that way, until he left the Bears.
    I’ve since forgiven the guy, but I haven’t forgotten.
    (now I’m gonna submit this like 3 times)

22. Dewey Axewoond says: Jun 10, 2010 2:54 PM

C’mon, Gregg. Where is my comment? (Submitted about 10:40 this morning)
    I always liked him, and thought of him that way, until he left the Bears.
    I’ve since forgiven the guy, but I haven’t forgotten.
    (now I’m gonna submit this twice)

23. finsbooyah says: Jun 10, 2010 2:55 PM

Enjoy your retirement Moose… I’m no Panther’s fan, but always admired the way you played