Louis Delmas predicts eight wins for Lions

Three years ago, then-Lions quarterback Jon Kitna predicted that his team would win more than ten games.  Detroit started the 2007 season 6-2.

They’re 3-37 since.
Second-year safety Louis Delmas, the team’s defensive captain, is the latest Lion to make a prediction for the season.  He’s not quite as bold as Kitna.
“It’s no surprise if we come out and get eight wins — I won’t be surprised at all,” said Delmas.  “We know we can do it. … I know that we lost a lot of games on last drives last year.”
Delmas also believes that eight wins would all but assure the Lions a postseason berth.
“If we get eight wins and don’t make it to the playoffs, I’ll be pissed,” he said.  “So that’s what we’re shooting for.”  Five NFL teams went 8-8 last season: the Giants, Panthers, 49ers, Titans, and Broncos.  None of them made the playoffs.
While it’s true that the Lions should be better as Delmas and Matthew Stafford enter their second years, and the defensive line play improves following the additions of Kyle Vanden Bosch, Ndamukong Suh, and Corey Williams, 8-8 is an obviously optimistic goal for the Lions.  They’re two for their last 32, play in one of the league’s toughest divisions, and have to face the NFC East and AFC East this year.
Something like 5-11 or 6-10 would qualify as a significant leap in the right direction, and is probably more realistic.
Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
30 Responses to “Louis Delmas predicts eight wins for Lions”
  1. Poo Flinging Monkey says: Jun 13, 2010 1:41 PM

Shoot for the stars, Louis!

2. rovibe says: Jun 13, 2010 1:44 PM

This article is incomplete — Delmas’ prediction was that the Lions would win 8 games… Over the next 4 years.

3. Zach says: Jun 13, 2010 1:47 PM

“If we get eight wins and don’t make it to the playoffs, I’ll be pissed”
    Since when is .500 playoff worthy? How about you win games and not hope that other teams struggle so you can back into the playoffs.

4. lebowski says: Jun 13, 2010 1:48 PM

I think they have a great shot at that. I can see them splitting with all the teams in the NFC North for sure.

5. Patrick says: Jun 13, 2010 1:52 PM

For this year…Win the division and make the record moot

6. Outfoxed says: Jun 13, 2010 2:01 PM

Louis, either you have temporarily passed over to the other side and are in euphoric nirvana or you have grown up above a hallucinogenic chemical spill.
    Anyways I wish you well this year!!!!

7. NationalFelonLeague.com © says: Jun 13, 2010 2:10 PM

12 Nov 25 NE @ DET
    13 Dec 05 CHI @ DET
    14 Dec 12 GB @ DET
    15 Dec 19 DET @ TB
    16 Dec 26 DET @ MIA
    17 Jan 02 MIN @ DET
    6 seems a little optimistic.

8. rovibe says: Jun 13, 2010 2:14 PM

Detoilet will beat the Rams and Bills. That’s it. Another 2 win season for the Kitties.

9. Phlyin reallll high says: Jun 13, 2010 2:26 PM

I say they can take 1 from Chicago, but after that I see only 3 must wins for the lions against poor teams(tampa, buffalo, STL). Outside chance they can surprise Washington or Miami and the rest look like losses for sure. I like confidence from the young guy though, surely the media will spin it into some bullshit.

10. jackybadass says: Jun 13, 2010 2:28 PM

vibe is right maybe 3 years. the city of detriot will revive before the lions!

11. denver_high says: Jun 13, 2010 2:30 PM

Thank you posting their schedule. I agree six would be really good considering who they play. If they win eight they should make the playoffs against that competition.

12. Ghost Peppers says: Jun 13, 2010 2:41 PM

The Detroit Dandelions will be 7-9 at best. Suh is a beast and scares the crap out of me tho.

13. lebowski says: Jun 13, 2010 3:27 PM

My God that is a murder schedule.

14. Chicago6 says: Jun 13, 2010 4:12 PM

I am a Bears fan and know that it is very possible that the Bears could spilt the series with the Lions. At the end of the day lets be serious though. They have one of the hardest schedules in the league. They are one of the shittiest teams in the league. We will see. I’d love to eat my words and see the NFC North become very competitive.

15. Zach says: Jun 13, 2010 4:20 PM

The only games they have a legit chance to win are STL, TB and BUF.
    Maybe they can steal one from the Bears, or maybe the Vikings rest players in Week 17.

16. chitownlionsfan410 says: Jun 13, 2010 4:54 PM

wow. people actually think the lions will go to upstate new york, on Nov. 14, (estimated temp. 5 degrees with heavy snowfall) and beat the bills. Ignorance.

17. Mean and Nasty says: Jun 13, 2010 5:14 PM

Rams, Giants, Bears, Bills, Skins and Bucs…I find 6 wins on that schedule, and I bet theyre competitive in a bunch of their losses. This team will be a force to reckon with in the near future.
    Its amazing that Louie makes headlines for predicting a .500 RECORD!!

18. DirtDawg55 says: Jun 13, 2010 5:37 PM

While other teams dream of Super Bowls, the Lions dream of .500! Pretty much says everything that ever needs to be said about the state of that sorry franchise.

19. digitalbath says: Jun 13, 2010 6:14 PM

not a lions fan by far,but with the overhaul on def and the emergnce of young talent on offense,i think 8-8 is a reasonable goal,the only thing wrong is that not many 8-8 teams ever made the playoffs,but as long as the def meshes,i can see the lions on thier way to brighter pasters,good luck detroit

20. PackAttackBackMan says: Jun 13, 2010 6:31 PM

I hate to say it, but the Lions are on their way up. Their QB is the real deal and they have a monster in the middle. I seriously wouldn’t be surprised to see them have a 92 Packers type breakout season.
    Within 2-3 years, the Packers and Lions will be battling it out for the division year in year out. The Vikings will become the new Bears and the Bears will become the new Lions.

21. FumbleNuts says: Jun 13, 2010 6:38 PM

Suh will be a difference maker on that defense, 8 wins MIGHT come for the Lions.

22. 1stngoal says: Jun 13, 2010 6:47 PM

I think 8 wins is a fair assessment. The Lions are an up and coming program. I just hope four of those eight wins come at the hands of Minnesota and Chicago, and not my Packers, LOL!!!

23. megatron81 says: Jun 13, 2010 7:37 PM

Hey “Mean and Nasty”,
    If you only see 6 wins on that schedule then you must be on a steady diet of paint chips pal. Theres not a chance in hell the Dolphins beat us or the Eagles. I also see us beating the bears twice and splitting the season series with the vikes and pack. Not to mention we’re gonna wax the Pats on thanksgiving and Obliterate Mark “pretty boy” Sanchez and his behemoth joke of a coach. By my calculations that would make us a 13 win team, and we’ll finish it off by dismantling the colts in the S.B.

24. Mean and Nasty says: Jun 13, 2010 8:15 PM

@ megatron81
    You forgot to mention the Redskins, thats an easy win for ya too!! I dont disagree with you at all…I bet your quite the estimator. I’d love to see Colts-Kitties super bowl, but there wont be any dismantling goin on there. Thats 2 even teams!

25. robert ethen says: Jun 13, 2010 8:30 PM

Delmas was firm in his prediction but was reluctant to be pinned down on how many seasons it would take to accumulate the 8 wins.

26. JimmySmith says: Jun 13, 2010 9:23 PM

Just beat the Vikings at least once and I will be happy.

27. SomeFans says: Jun 13, 2010 10:13 PM

megratron81 is a MORON. Your team is the laughingstock and will be lucky to get 5 wins next year.
    Remember who you are loser.

28. smithopher says: Jun 13, 2010 10:27 PM

8-8 seems like a reach considering their schedule. Their defensive line is drastically improved and Stafford should play well as a second year QB though, so I don’t know I’ll rule against them. I just think that they won’t beat the Vikings or Packers at all, and I don’t think they have it in them to beat the Jets, Patriots, Dolphins, Eagles, Cowboys, or Giants… That’s 10 games right there. Of course they can come out and show up and outplay somebody in a game or two, that whole “any given sunday” idea, but I do not think they’ll have a better record than any of those teams. I think the Vikings are just too good for the Lions to beat them, and the Packers should have a hell of a solid O line after drafting Bryan Bulaga while they already have 2 starting caliber tackles – I don’t think the new pass rush Detroit has will get after Rodgers very well.

29. kishcollageit says: Jun 13, 2010 10:27 PM

@ megatron81
    I have to calm you down! The last team we killed a team was Denver 3 years ago so I do not think we will this year and rather let the talkers talk!

30. soberjoe says: Jun 13, 2010 11:10 PM

8 wins? wow…
    that’s funny, I only see 4… obvious wins over the Patriots, Jets, Cowboys, and Vikings on the road
    btw the way I think I’m getting season tix this year!