The education of Tim Tebow continues

As our good friend Peter King spends time in South Africa for a certain sporting event in which we have zero interest, King has penned for Sports Illustrated a new article in which we have much interest.

The item, appearing in the June 14 issue, takes a close look at the early stages of Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow’s indoctrination into the NFL.

Among other things, King illustrates the challenges Tebow will face when trying to use his new throwing motion while taking live reps.  Indeed, the reps currently reside a considerable distance from “live,” but Tebow already has been slipping at times into bad habits when focused on trying to make a throw.

And Tebow seems to be willing to tolerate some lapses as he learns.  “I know I can make good throws and still not be fundamentally correct,”
Tebow told King.  “I think when I’m consistent, my accuracy will increase.
That’s the point I’ve got to get to.”

For more details, we’ll defer to King’s article.  Though it’s the kind of long-form piece that ordinarily tests the limits of our ADD, it’s not all that long — and it reads much shorter.

So, basically, it’s far more compelling than a World Cup match.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
36 Responses to “The education of Tim Tebow continues”
  1. I MURDER HOES/187403 says: Jun 14, 2010 12:33 AM

The pressure. The pressure. The pressure. Hope Tebow surrounds himself with ppl that will tell him the truth instead of ppl that will try to soften the blow of the harsh reality of playing in the NFL (see Russell, Jamarcus).

2. east96street. says: Jun 14, 2010 12:34 AM

“So, basically, it’s far more compelling than a World Cup match.”
    Nothing Peter “I love me some me” King has ever said/written, is currently saying/writing, or will say/write in the future is in any way, shape, or form compelling. The fact that King is the “star” of his magazine is exhibit A as to why the print media is dying. Expensive, inefficient, and devoid of talent. I can safely say I was well ahead of the curve with SI. I cancelled my SI subscription in the early 80s. It was crap then and now it’s still crap and obsolete, as well. The only downside to SI going out out of business is that King will probably end up working for PFT.

3. Zaggs says: Jun 14, 2010 12:41 AM

I hope they are not alot of Christian players at the world cup, then floor-boy will really go off on it.

4. Wellsee says: Jun 14, 2010 12:48 AM

Hey, at least the world cup is better for spectating than baseball. Soccer rarely stops for more than 5 seconds at a time. Sooooo much better than warmup pitches. Twice an inning.

5. doe22us says: Jun 14, 2010 12:48 AM

Oh Florio, havent you learned still taking shots at soccer you cant win son.. Go to bed and bring your shine box in the morning

6. Beauregard says: Jun 14, 2010 1:02 AM

I have no idea how Tim Tebow is going to pan out in the NFL But I feel completely confident in predicting he will go his entire career without ever being accused of rape.

7. j0hnny63 says: Jun 14, 2010 1:20 AM

Jealous of real football much, Abhorio?

8. Damon says: Jun 14, 2010 1:21 AM

What the hell is a world cup? Some new kind of jock protector?

9. dustindmw says: Jun 14, 2010 1:40 AM

So, basically, it’s far more compelling than a World Cup match.
    No, not really. World Cup pretty much trounces anything sports in my opinion. It’s the biggest sporting event in the world. I think in a few years that little quip will annoy a good amount of people that frequent your site Florio. People here in the U.S are starting to like soccer.

10. Raider Pride says: Jun 14, 2010 1:44 AM

Mr. Florio
    One can always tell how cultivated a man will be once he is willing to expand his horizons.
    Jeffery Dahmer found boys “More Compelling” than woman.
    Elvis found drugs “More Compelling” than breakfast.
    Obama found the White House “More Compelling” than his former Church.
    Just follow The World Cup for three days…
    You will be hooked… And I am sure.
    The World Cup Is Great Theatre.

11. philyeagles5 says: Jun 14, 2010 1:54 AM

just because you dont like soccer doesnt mean people care that you dont like soccer. everyone who reads your articles could care less about your opinion on anything. stop writing like a 15 year old jealous girl.

12. Rasta says: Jun 14, 2010 2:21 AM

And God looked down upon his only grandson Tebow and said “You are so blessed”.

13. Dexter Morgan says: Jun 14, 2010 2:32 AM

Who is we? You don’t have interest, you don’t speak for America.

14. David56 says: Jun 14, 2010 3:15 AM

I just hope the critics out there both among fans and the media give this kid a decent chance to become a good NFL quarterback. I’ve never read so much about any rookie qb getting as much flak as Tebow has before he’s even had the chance to throw a ball in a legit game. Hall of Famer’s Troy Aikman’s and John Elway’s first season under center wasn’t anything to cheer about. With the exception of a very few most qb’s take a couple of seasons to really start getting the hang of the job.
    So give the kid a fair chance. If he can’t hack it after that then go ahead and fry him. But first let’s see what happens.
    Giants fan in Kentucky.

15. harloeisdead says: Jun 14, 2010 5:04 AM

I hate soccer, and I’m about a thousand times more interested in the world cup than hearing more about Tebow’s throwing motion.

16. DeuceDeuce13 says: Jun 14, 2010 6:36 AM

Glad to know Tebow’s throwing motion is more important than supporting your country

17. medic406 says: Jun 14, 2010 6:52 AM

I just had an idea for Tim Tebow. He should autograph soccer balls too. How much would I pay for one of those? If you said, “my left nut”, that would make you a f*#^king dumb@ss. What kind of crazy person gives a body part for any kind of soccer ball? Well, I’ll tell you…South Americans, that is who…which is exactly why George Bush puts people with weird names on the “No Fly list.” You know who else shouldn’t fly? Peter King…. because he like’s soccer too. I guess you can’t trust anyone these days especially terrorists who pretend to be Christians, like Tim Tebow. Did you not hear what I said? He is signing soccer balls for Christ’s sake! I say deport him. Can I get a job at PFT?

18. TJ says: Jun 14, 2010 7:32 AM

It’s been awhile since a Tebow article. Vacation? It’s also not even yours!!! I’m sorry did I miss something about rookie qb’s coming in and being near perfect???!! Give the kid a chance atleast he has desire unlike a former 1st overall pick who just got cut!

19. wryly1 says: Jun 14, 2010 7:33 AM

Why is King writing about the 3rd string QB on a non-playoff team – and why are you repeating it?

20. 3Ply Stagliano says: Jun 14, 2010 7:35 AM

Grow up a bit and stop moaning and bitching about the World Cup please. You’re only belittling yourself and coming across as small minded and xenophobic. I don’t even like soccer but this constant childish whinging here still irritates and bores me in equal parts. It’s the kind of writing which would put one off reading this website.

21. birdmancometh says: Jun 14, 2010 7:55 AM

Hey Mike, did you know that there are actually countries OUTSIDE of the USA? I know right! Wild…
    The World Cup is awesome.

22. Bob says: Jun 14, 2010 8:08 AM

“The World Cup is awesome.”

If you like sporting contests with almost no scoring and contests that end in draws half the time, then, yes, you’re right. But if it takes more than 20 guys kicking a ball around all day for no purpose to entertain you, then you’re wrong.
    What? No coffee, field hockey updates and name-dropping with this SI story?

23. Jagmankane says: Jun 14, 2010 8:18 AM

I watch the World Cup the same way I watch NASCAR.
    Watching for something cool. More than likely falling asleep.
    World Cup? yawn.

24. CD_Ridge says: Jun 14, 2010 8:37 AM

What is this so called “World Cup” you speak of?

25. nagurski_T_form says: Jun 14, 2010 8:47 AM

That article is absurd. I clicked on it, then rapidly moved to something else.
    Who in the **** can actually sit there and read something like that?
    What a worthless piece of “journalism”…from a worthless “publication”…by a worthless “analyst” and “writer.”
    Let’s count how many times Peter King gets something RIGHT this year…starting now.
    I’m seeing something like 10% successful predictions from this clueless windbag.
    P.S. Tim Tebow = J.P. Losman, and World Cup RULES!

26. Bird Man says: Jun 14, 2010 8:48 AM

So basically you hijacked his story to create a post, but then “deferred” to him so you don’t have to do any work.

27. sand0 says: Jun 14, 2010 8:59 AM

Soccer is a great sport to play. I’m not going to argue that. All you need is a ball and some dirt and anyone can play it. The worldwide appeal is obvious. Kind of hard to throw on pads and bang heads in Kenya if you know what I mean.
    But it is boring as hell to watch. It doesn’t hold a candle to watching NFL. Period. And if you use that stupid “well the whole world plays it so you are obviously wrong” then you are an idiot too.
    The US is the entertainment capitol of the world. Period. Saying that Soccer is funner to watch than the NFL is like saying Bollywood is more entertaining than Hollywood. Our sports are simply more evolved from a spectator point of view. They are designed to be fun to watch. They have risen to the top for their spectator appeal.
    Some people in Europe/Asia/Africa watch our NFL, despite never having played it because of how sweet it is to watch. We don’t watch their soccer because of how incredibly boring it is.

28. Rasta says: Jun 14, 2010 9:08 AM

Women are very good at what most of the world call football, that tells me what a pu$$y sport it is.

29. tombrookshire says: Jun 14, 2010 9:40 AM

Watching paint dry is more compelling than watching a soccer game at any level.

30. RuggSkins says: Jun 14, 2010 9:40 AM

Florio,
    I wish you would stop bashing the world cup as it is the greatest professional sport gathering in the world.
    I went to watch the opening Team USA game against England at a sports bar here in the Denver metro area, and the crowds and exuberance there surpassed the crowds for the Super Bowl… for I attended the S-Bowl game at the same establishment.
    Soccer has been the #1 participation sport in the USA for more than 20 years, and more people play soccer than football, basketball, and baseball combined!
    So… Please keep you damn negative comments to yourself regarding the World Cup.

31. AllThat says: Jun 14, 2010 10:01 AM

This sounds like a made for TV movie on Showtime

32. Rasta says: Jun 14, 2010 10:13 AM

RuggSkins
    you left out that most players are women and children.

33. stnmmc says: Jun 14, 2010 11:47 AM

————————————————
    Saying we are a GOODER country than all the others is like saying that we really are the uneducated, ignorant Americans the rest of the world thinks we are.
    Stay in school kids, because the current education level of the average American is appalling. I find it quite disconcerting that we are so proud of our entertainment ability while we ignore the evident shortcomings our country/society currently face.
    For those of you who support Florio regarding his distaste for the WC, and the fact that ESPN is “slamming this thing down your throats” I submit a simple logical response. ESPN is not force feeding the WC to the USA public. It has recognized that there is a substantial population in this country that enjoys the game and would be excited to see it. This is simply good business on their part. Those of us who are fans of the sport are appreciative of the fact that ESPN is providing this coverage. They are promoting the spectacle just as they would the Super Bowl, it just happens to be for a sport that you as an individual does not care for.
    For a land that is supposedly built on the acceptance of individuality and freedom to follow/believe what one chooses the American football fanatics are quite intolerant. I am not saying that is on the same level of some of our former societal mores (i.e., women were lesser people, blacks were not considered human or civilized, and so on) but the defensiveness and anger that is directed towards the game is done in a very similar fashion.

34. robert ethen says: Jun 14, 2010 11:57 AM

Pretty sure I read this article about two weeks ago. You sure it’s new? Or am I having vu ja dej.

35. Unwashed Villager says: Jun 14, 2010 12:54 PM

# stnmmc says: June 14, 2010 11:47 AM
    ***
    Wow, I guess the only thing more boring than soccer are indignant soccer fans. Is your name James W. Bottomtooth III, by any chance?

36. Stone says: Jun 14, 2010 1:27 PM

I wouldn’t expect a hick from West Virginia to have any interest in or concept of anything going on outside the borders of the US. Sporting wise, that is.