Though many of the 2010 restricted free agents received qualifying offers prior to March 5 that greatly exceeded 110 percent of their 2009 base pay, for some players a 10 percent raise surpassed the amount that corresponded with their initial tender amount.
Redskins cornerback Carlos Rogers falls into the latter category. He’s in line to earn $1.542 million in 2010, and he has yet to accept the offer.
And so June 15 has no meaning for Rogers, who told Jason Reid of the Washington Post that the 2005 top-ten draft pick is in no hurry to sign the tender.
Actually, his specific response was, “Nah.”
Rogers used a few more words when explaining himself last week. “I’m going to sign it before training camp,” Rogers said. “I’m
not saying that in a negative way, but the June 15 thing don’t apply to
Since Rogers has been working out with the team after signing an injury protection letter, he’s exerting no leverage over the club by not withholding services. So, frankly, he might as well sign it.
Meanwhile, we’ve caught wind of a rumor regarding a possible glitch that occurred on June 1, the date for re-extending the RFA tender offers. There’s talk that the Redskins nearly failed to get Rogers’ tender properly re-issued. We’ve been unable to confirm that and, frankly, we’d forgotten about it until seeing Reid’s report.