Mexican soccer team gets a little help from the NFL

The Mexican futbol team clearly has more use for American football than Florio has for the sport of soccer.

To prepare for the increasingly unpredictable way the official World Cup ball has bounced so far, Mexican goalkeeping coach Alberto Aguilar used NFL footballs in a drill at practice on Monday.

I could tell you more, but Florio won’t be pleased if I devote any more time to the only sport he apparently likes less than baseball.

(For the record, hating soccer wasn’t a topic at the PFT Summit.  Both MDS and I enjoy the World Cup, even if we don’t particularly understand it.)

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
30 Responses to “Mexican soccer team gets a little help from the NFL”
  1. Citizen Strange says: Jun 14, 2010 6:24 PM

One More Reason to Hate Soccer

2. J says: Jun 14, 2010 6:26 PM

What mexican team? I thaught all the mexicans that can run, jump, or swim are allready here.

3. human centipede says: Jun 14, 2010 6:28 PM

how the hell is this football news
    please kill yourself

4. John El Way says: Jun 14, 2010 6:29 PM

Boooorriiiiiiiing

5. robert ethen says: Jun 14, 2010 6:36 PM

Florio is crushing beer cans in disgust in his “I Hate Soccer” wifebeater shirt.

6. NashvilleSeahawk says: Jun 14, 2010 6:43 PM

I would rather help Ron Mexico rather than the Mexicans.

7. jbraider says: Jun 14, 2010 6:43 PM

Attending Tulane and hating soccer. That almost makes up for being a lawyer. Maybe there’s hope for Florio yet

8. snnyjcbs says: Jun 14, 2010 6:47 PM

I tried to watch a game but that noise that will not stop, sounds like a huge pack of bees. I shut it off after a few minutes.

9. ShadowWind says: Jun 14, 2010 6:48 PM

I liked soccer as a kid, but I cannot say I care for it now. I don’t lunge for the remote when a game comes on, but I will certainly change the channel as soon as I have the thing in my had. That being said: Those guys are playing a game that is a mix between basketball and our beloved football. They even have some fields that are bigger than the standard American football field, which these guys run all over for two 45 minute periods almost non-stop (No commercial time-outs for them). I couldn’t do their job any more than I can do an NFL job.
    For the record; Basketball is worse than Baseball and neither of them are any better of a spectator sport than nascar.

10. ☻☼CBS, FOX, ESPN, NFLN nbc says: Jun 14, 2010 6:56 PM

If the writers on this site truly did not like soccer they wouldn’t be bringing it up in every other blog.

11. strctlylo says: Jun 14, 2010 6:56 PM

not that there is anything wrong with florio, but he rather be dressed in tights and dreaming of singing and dancing on broadway.

12. ericmetcalf says: Jun 14, 2010 6:58 PM

I can’t wait to read all of the well-informed PFT opinions on the beautiful game

13. east96street. says: Jun 14, 2010 7:05 PM

“Both MDS and I enjoy the World Cup, even if we don’t particularly understand it.”
    Now, if only the two of you would admit that neither one of you understand the NFL or the basics of journalism, either.

14. La Milicia Negra says: Jun 14, 2010 7:05 PM

Gregg Rosenthal, yo are now official my favorite PFT employee, not that you care of course..

15. MasterShake says: Jun 14, 2010 7:13 PM

J says:
    June 14, 2010 6:26 PM
    They are. They just get deported for the free ride back so they can play.

16. KOM2K10 says: Jun 14, 2010 7:17 PM

Florio’s argument for saying he hates soccer is because it’s too slow and there’s too much down time where nothing is happening…
    Someone should tell him that the NFL takes over 3 hours to watch a “60 minute game”, of which there is only 10-12 minutes of actual “action”. I like both sports, but the non-stop interrupti0ns and waiting that happens in the NFL is the very same reasons that other countries don’t “appreciate” what the NFL has to offer. Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black…

17. RJK says: Jun 14, 2010 7:31 PM

yeah those stupid horns drove me crazy, it was like everyone in the stadium had a kazoo, but i watched the whole game just to represent for USA…doubt i’ll watch anymore though, i feel like i’ve done my part to support usa soccer by not falling asleep once during the game

18. J says: Jun 14, 2010 7:39 PM

First, why is there some redneck idiot using the same nickname i use?
    Second, Florio doesn’t hate soccer, he is just afraid of the popularity the sport is gaining in the states.

19. Bob Nelson says: Jun 14, 2010 8:05 PM

The Vikings could be moving to Mexico City in the near future. They should be forging as many partnerships as possible.

20. Drat says: Jun 14, 2010 8:25 PM

I didn’t know soccer involved swimming.

21. Castro95 says: Jun 14, 2010 8:30 PM

Florio knows as much about soccer as he knows about writing a good story.

22. MRMONDAYNITE says: Jun 14, 2010 8:34 PM

At Virginia Tech, football is known as “Beamer Ball”. For Mexico, their brand of football should be called “Beaner Ball”.

23. MasterShake says: Jun 14, 2010 8:48 PM

J says:
    June 14, 2010 7:39 PM
    First, why is there some redneck idiot using the same nickname i use?
    Everyone knows it’s you. “I” should be in caps and your previous post spelled “allready” wrong.
    Frijolito.

24. Mumakata says: Jun 14, 2010 9:36 PM

Soccer is great to play, all right to watch. World cup is great. gotta root for the US.

25. Howie Handles says: Jun 14, 2010 10:10 PM

Nascar, really? There is nothing worse than Nascar, or bowling…not that I watch bowling.

26. superduperboltman says: Jun 14, 2010 10:26 PM

Well Greg, unlike Florio, you’re not a douchebag.
    Florio cries about the NFL and american football not being accepted on a worldwide stage, and its because of ignorant people like him. They trash the worlds most popular sport and then expect those same people to embrace the biggest American sport? Child, please. If Florio (and people like him) was less of a prick and respected and accepted “Futbol”, maybe the rest of the world would do the same for American Football! I didn’t like Football for any reason 10 years ago. When I learned the game, I ended up loving it.

27. botchedextrapoint says: Jun 15, 2010 3:34 AM

Whats not to understand. Keep the ball off the other guys and put it in the back of the net using your feet only. To add a bit of a complication there is the offside rule and you have to be careful ‘tackling’. Easy! How can you not understand soccer but be an expert in the most complicated version of football played on the planet. The world would be a much better place if Americans played sports teh rest of the world cares about

28. Lionglass says: Jun 15, 2010 4:58 AM

Clearly, Mike Florio is no Peter King.

29. stnmmc says: Jun 15, 2010 9:01 AM

# ShadowWind says: June 14, 2010 6:48 PM
    ———————————————–
    I have often related the movement and attacking philosophy to basketball as well. It should not surprise you that it resembles American football as well, considering that three sports all evolved out of the same game during the Muscular Christianity movement in the late 1800′s (soccer, football, rugby).
    At the international level all of the fields are bigger than a football field. Most are 120 long and 90 wide. It is amazing when you see the distance traveled by some of the midfield players in a game, it is nothing for them to run well over the course of 90 minutes. Add in tackling, passing, shooting, etc and you will realize that it takes a good deal of athleticism to play the game.

30. ShadowWind says: Jun 15, 2010 11:27 AM

Howie Handles:
    Ahh, but nascar now has Danica Patrick; She is someone worth delaying the channel surfing for, or even Googling (Sadly for her and nascar, not to check out her win/loss record).
    stnmmc:
    I have to imagine even the soccer goalies have to be able to run up and down, and side to side on those huge fields (if only in practice). Could you imagine what it would do to the NFL if some of their fields were nearly doubled in width? Guarantee you wouldn’t have nearly every member of each team running up and down the field for more than a couple plays; Commercial time-outs would be extended and renamed “nap-time-outs”.
    Still, even with busting NFL players, coaches, and owners chops now and again, I would rather spend 3 hours watching them than almost 2 hours of soccer. Getting to see a QB launch the ball 50 yards, the receiver deftly catching it almost off a defenders shoulder pad, and then seeing the safety nearly blast the guy out of his cleats. Whoohooo I love that game.