Pete Carroll denies he took Seahawks job to flee USC sanctions

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll talked to reporters today for the first time since the NCAA punished USC for violations committed while he was the school’s head coach, claiming his decision to leave for Seattle wasn’t an attempt to avoid punishment for those violations.

“The question comes up why I left and all,” Carroll said. “My coming to Seattle was for one reason. This is an extraordinary opportunity. This is an NFL dream opportunity for me and it had nothing to do with anything that was going on at any time.”

The idea that Carroll leaving USC had nothing at all to do with the looming NCAA sanctions is hard to believe. Maybe the Seahawks job is an extraordinary opportunity, but Carroll likely started looking for extraordinary opportunities after USC’s 2009 season because he expected USC’s 2009 season to be the last for a couple years in which it wouldn’t be dealing with NCAA sanctions.

And what Carroll said next made even less sense.

“That ongoing investigation was five years in the making anyway,” Carroll said. “Why wouldn’t I have left some other time?”

Uh, you didn’t leave some other time because you knew NCAA investigations can take years and USC wouldn’t have to deal with the result of the investigation “some other time.” USC has to deal with the result of the investigation now, after Carroll has left.

For his part, Carroll says he’s hoping for the best for USC.

“I feel very bad for the people who have to go through this now,” he said. “Hopefully the situation will be righted and they’ll get to the truth and to the right thing and make really good decisions from this point forward.”

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
52 Responses to “Pete Carroll denies he took Seahawks job to flee USC sanctions”
  1. Big Tex says: Jun 15, 2010 7:26 PM

Mr. Carroll also reported that he is not peeing down your back. Pete swears to God that it is actually raining indoors.

2. funi says: Jun 15, 2010 7:34 PM

Lies,lies and more lies!

3. Danny says: Jun 15, 2010 7:35 PM

Carroll is a d-bag – “I feel very bad for the people…” – yeah, right – he ran away when he knew he would get nailed for the slipshod program that he ran there, which all but screams for the kids to succumb to the lure of celebrity and riches (e.g. – having all those ridiculous Hollywood celebs in the locker room and on the sidelines) I give him two years in Seattle with an over/under of 14 wins – that ain’t sayin’ much in that division.

4. jackybadass says: Jun 15, 2010 7:37 PM

i believe you pete. but it looks bad. you left that place in a mess. up here you can cheat all you want. if you ain’t cheatin you ain’t trying! your as dirty as pigpen pete. but i cant wait to see you in last place!

5. jfd349 says: Jun 15, 2010 7:38 PM

That’s the problem when coaches and players cheat. The consequences are always left to others who follow them. Something is really wrong with a system like that.

6. therewasone says: Jun 15, 2010 7:40 PM

Of course he didn’t. Who wouldn’t want to get out of that south California weather with the hot babes on the beach for the wonders of Seattle? After he fails there he should try politics. He’s as smooth as slick Willie!

7. thirdandgoal says: Jun 15, 2010 7:40 PM

“…they’ll get to the truth and to the right thing and make really good decisions from this point forward.” Unlike you did, Pete.

8. julieinduvall says: Jun 15, 2010 7:41 PM

Carroll is spinning so fast I’m surprised he doesn’t levitate.
    I’m a Seahawks fan, and I’m disgusted. Have the balls to at least be truthful about yourself and your motivations, Coach Carroll.

9. SeriousRadio says: Jun 15, 2010 7:42 PM

Flrio, please STFU on this issue. You really are quite ignorant of the facts. You are just spewing moronic speculation. Yes , we all know you don’t like USC and Pete Carroll. Time to move on.

10. Toad says: Jun 15, 2010 7:48 PM

The blame falls squarely on the shoulders of AD Mike Garrett. He and his head of compliance need to be replaced. Remember, it wasn’t just Reggie Bush, but Mayo too. Agents were allowed extraordinary access to practices and the players. I doubt Pete looked too closely, but it was the AD’s job to enforce tougher standards across the entire program.

11. rjgreen3 says: Jun 15, 2010 7:54 PM

hey pete,
    stevie wonder can see that you are full of sh*t

12. this class sucks says: Jun 15, 2010 7:55 PM

Whats he gonna say? “Yeah the only reason I am I left sunny California for the wet and rainy suicide capitol, with this crappy team and disinterested owner, is so that I wouldn’t have had to coach a college team that isn’t going to be playing in a championship game for two years.”
    It’s too bad he really does escape all punishment.

13. monet99 says: Jun 15, 2010 8:00 PM

Carroll is lying period.

14. digitalbath says: Jun 15, 2010 8:03 PM

from what all he has said,he had no idea or he thought that the ncaa woul have never had enough evidence against them to warrant all those sanctions,and in my opinion from what all i have read,seems to me that the ncaa went a lil overboard and will probably be overturned in appeals,so i think i will give the guy the benefit of doubt on this one

15. MrHumble says: Jun 15, 2010 8:05 PM

carroll is one big lying turd……does he actually think that anyone believes his bullchit.

16. TryTheVeal says: Jun 15, 2010 8:05 PM

Oh look…..A college coach swimming out of the cesspool he created, lying out of his ass, this is truly an unprecedented event….

17. PackAttackBackMan says: Jun 15, 2010 8:16 PM

Seriously…..WTF is he suppose to say??? He played the “game” and came out ahead…… Not saying what he did was right, but that is the nature of the beast….
    Any big money gig is political and rules are most likely going to be bent…….
    Just the way things are…….

18. ItalianArmyGuy says: Jun 15, 2010 8:17 PM

In other news, Roger Goodell announced that he burned the SpyGate tapes for the “integrity of the game”, and to ensure no other team got ahold of them and “gained a competitive advantage”
    Apparently it had nothing to do with fearing that the tapes would be leaked to the media, and that the Patsies would be embarrassed by years of endless SpyGate loops running on ESPN Classic, ESPN Deportes, and ESPN 8 – “The Ocho”

19. Citizen Strange says: Jun 15, 2010 8:26 PM

Up walked a Baptist preachin’, southern funky school teacher
    She had a line on somethin heavy but we couldn’t reach her
    We told her that we needed something that would get us going
    She pulled out all she had and layed it on the counter showin
    All I had to do was lay my money down and pick it up
    Cops came bustin’ in and man, we lit out in a pickup truck
    Go, get out of L.A., baby.
    Go, go, get out of L.A., baby.
    Go, get out of L.A., baby. Go, go.
    ‘Cause you look just like a Trojan
    and you might just be a member, baby.
    Get out of L.A.

20. AlanSaysYo says: Jun 15, 2010 8:28 PM

The man makes his living paying young men to play football, and I wish him the best of luck as he continues to do that.

21. CDAseahawk says: Jun 15, 2010 8:50 PM

You make it sound like Carroll contacted the Seahawks for the job. A guy accepting an offer for a higher paying job at a higher level is not scandalous in any way, anyone with a brain would do the same thing. This site relies on taking non-stories and spinning them to seem dramatic and all you tools commenting on here are just eating it up. Think for yourselves and dont believe everything you read on the internet ishtards.

22. granadafan says: Jun 15, 2010 9:09 PM

Uh huh. Now where have I heard something like that before??? Oh yeah, OJ Simpson, a Trojan, said he’s looking for the truth (real killers) too!
    Once a lying cheating Trojan, always a a lying cheating Trojan.

23. Patsfan1776 says: Jun 15, 2010 9:24 PM

With the English majors adding to the site, I believe Petey should have said, “I feel very badly….(for the people that weren’t smart enough to leave)” instead of “I feel very bad….(for the shmucks I left behind)”. Badly is the adverb.

24. sdffa11 says: Jun 15, 2010 9:28 PM

hes lying and an idiot to think anyone would believe him.

25. Franchise says: Jun 15, 2010 9:42 PM

As sad as a lie as it is, lets all remember one thing:
    Every big time college does it. I’m not saying its right, I’m not defending it, but please, dont look blindly at the situation.
    The players get paid, get others to get them through school, yet the NCAA turns a blind eye to it unless it gets outted.

26. iusedtobeteddybayer says: Jun 15, 2010 9:53 PM

For his part, Carroll says he’s hoping for the best for USC.

SAY WHAT?Hey, Petey! We just go to the truth and it really makes you look bad. You’re a douchebag.
    “Make really good decisions”? You mean, unlike the decisions you and Reggie made? HORRIBLE JOB! YOU DID A HORRIBLE, FALSE JOB. WHORE! WHORE!

27. TheToolofTools says: Jun 15, 2010 10:09 PM

Pete is so phony it’s just a trip.
    Does anyone really believe his DREAM JOB was The Seattle Seahawks ?
    Seriously?
    WHY?
    Liers suck.
    Obvious liers suck even worse.
    USC got slapped because the USC coaching staff knew (or should have undeniably known) what was going on.
    I get tired of this “dirty up” a program and walk away crap (see also Calipari @ Memphis in NCAA BB too).
    These coaches must think we live our lives devoid of reality and just drink whatever Kool Aid they pour.
    The NCAA needs to wake the hell up and have a universal coaching contract where if you break NCAA rules, you can be banned from coaching and can be personally sued for damages.
    After all, these guys are pulling in millions as are the schools and I don’t trust either one at this point.
    This is when the fan base erodes too.
    Pete Carroll is fake as fake gets.
    Seattle a dream job…. the olny place we might laugh harder is if someone a-hole came here to Cleveland and fed us that crap…
    wait a second.
    Mangini said that, never mind.

28. tom coughlin's coat holder says: Jun 15, 2010 10:24 PM

sure pete….sure..anything you say.

29. Delores says: Jun 15, 2010 10:27 PM

Pete Carroll didn’t know? Oh yeah, and I’m the real tooth fairy, too.

30. JDow says: Jun 15, 2010 10:41 PM

He is not referring to Seattle the team as being a dream, dumb assess, he is referring to having total control, the situation he was given, also I don’t think he wanted to take over the Colts, then people just say you took over a good team and anyone could win blah, blah, blah, he wanted a challenge and wanted the control to right the program. Also, how do you people feel about Barry Switzer and OU, he got spanked for his dirty deeds and resigned, he didn’t stay and swallow his pill. And after the USC sanctions, King Barry said Pete Carroll is not to blame, Reggie Bush is and that this stuff happens now at all major programs, has happened, does happen, and will happen.

31. badthings says: Jun 15, 2010 10:42 PM

# rjgreen3 says: June 15, 2010 7:54 PM
    hey pete,
    stevie wonder can see that you are full of sh*t
    ____________________________________
    That’s funny right there.

32. JDow says: Jun 15, 2010 10:48 PM

Also, he took responsibility as being the head coach:Update: Here’s part of what Carroll told reporters after practice, based on a transcript provided by the team:
    Let me say this very clearly, and I said it before so that you know. The head coach is responsible. I’m not ever trying to say anything but that. The head coach is responsible for what goes on. We just weren’t aware of this situation and we couldn’t do anything about it because we didn’t know. Unfortunately, it’s a difficult situation that the NCAA decided on early and figured out how they were going to go on it and they stayed with that — stayed the course. So it’s unfortunate.

33. FumbleNuts says: Jun 15, 2010 10:51 PM

WAAH WAAAAH Pete Carroll is this, is that, who friggin’ cares?
    Carroll is in the NFL, you can’t change the past,move on!

34. ballpark_frank says: Jun 15, 2010 11:26 PM

Hey Pete:
    Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire
    You can go to hell for lying as well as stealing.

35. BigSuede says: Jun 16, 2010 12:04 AM

I think Pete Carroll really left because he was starting to get so competative that he was actually hurting the kids who played for him. Had Carroll stayed he would have started having some problems recruiting- He made a huge ass of himself when he was being petulant over Sanchez leaving early- then he looked even worse talking Taylor Mays into staying so he could fall from a top 10 pick in 2009 to a 2nd round pick in 2010- Kids would have picked up on that.
    Rival recruiters finally had ammunition to use against Pete—– his defense was starting to get soft as well

36. GB3Pack4 says: Jun 16, 2010 12:55 AM

What extraordinary comments: he feels “very bad” for the people who “have to go through this now”, i.e., the people who DID the things that hurt the school – administrators, students, fans, players, families, image, finances, etc., he was supposedly so loyal to.
    And who, EXACTLY, is the “we” he constantly uses in his repeated, pathetic assertions -” ‘we’ didn’t know …” Or is he just using the royal we?
    I used to more or less equate Pete Carroll and his USC teams’ impressive records, with the school itself, and they all seemed to sparkle, but in recent months (at least), I haven’t seen a word come out of his mouth that indicates he ever had any loyalty at all, to the school or anyone he worked with. He comes off as unfeeling and self-serving. I like the Seahawks, and dislike the reality of Pete Carroll being affiliated with them in any role.

37. Danny says: Jun 16, 2010 1:33 AM

The beauty of it all is that USC getting hit with all those sanctions means that its sweet karmic justice for their current coach, Lane Kiffin, who, five years from now, may end up looking like a bigger d-bag than Pete Carroll (and at this point, Kiffin is well on his way).

38. Ganggreen61 says: Jun 16, 2010 3:27 AM

The only thing it seems you can be sure of when Pete talks is his mouth is moving!!!!!!!!!!

39. browniebuck says: Jun 16, 2010 6:57 AM

Yeah…uh huh. We believe you Pete. NOBODY thinks that you sold the kids that you recruited up the river to save your own a55, no…NOBODY thinks that. It was just a complete COINCIDENCE that these sanctions were handed down after you jumped ship…you cheating bastard!!!

40. MosesZD says: Jun 16, 2010 7:19 AM

At CDASeahawks:
    lol. Carroll had MANY, MANY such suitors and offers. All of which he spurned.
    Until the NCAA ban-hammer was coming his way…
    Way to be a homer.

41. browniebuck says: Jun 16, 2010 8:43 AM

CDAseahawk…keep your head buried in the sand, pal…I suppose you still believe in the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy.
    Pete Carroll left when he did because he knew that his renegade program at USC was in for serious sanctions. Him claiming that he knew nothing about it is absolutely hilarious…Reggie Bush showing up to practice in a car worth more than his own should have been somewhat of a red flag…but, he didn’t think that they would get caught so he looked the other way.
    I’ll go one step further…I bet he lined things up for his star players so that he could get them to USC…not only did he know about it, but I believe that he, himself, set his players up with the perks that they received…this is why he left…he KNEW firsthand that the program was guilty, so he threw his assistants, his players, and the University to the wolves while he left for “greener pastures”…or at least ones that weren’t about to blow up!

42. seals says: Jun 16, 2010 8:58 AM

The problem is Pete is that you left other people and kids to hold your bag of crap.

43. Big Tex says: Jun 16, 2010 12:38 PM

@JDow
    First, I’d like to thank Pete Carroll’s publicist for taking time from what is probably a busy schedule to post in this forum.
    Come on dude. Do you really think that Carroll didn’t know what was going on? Most of the info was out there in ’07. Bush wasn’t the only football player who looked shady in this deal. How can you not know that your star player has had connections with agents, moved his parents into a rent-free home, and was driving around car that he probably didn’t buy?
    It’s more than a bit “suspicious” that this supposed “dream” job presented itself just as the NCAA moved in. Coincedence? No way.

44. texasPHINSfan says: Jun 16, 2010 1:19 PM

What are you talking about, MDS?
    Carroll got a job offer for a head coaching job in the NFL. It’s not like he told the Seahawks to give him a job because sanctions were coming. He was offered the job.
    He also had nothing to do with the issues surrounding the sanctions – he just happened to be head coach of the team.
    The timing is coincidental, but that’s where it stops. The sanctions should have come last year, honestly. Not Carroll’s fault the NCAA dragged their feet on this, and I also don’t see why Carroll would have to explain himself for taking a promotion.

45. browniebuck says: Jun 16, 2010 2:14 PM

texasPHINSfan…you appear to have some wool over your eyes, you may want to get that removed. Are you a part of the minority that actually believe that OJ spent the years after his ex-wife was murdered looking for the “real killer”?
    Pete Carroll had opportunities to leave USC at any point that he wanted to over the last 3-4 years. He chose this offseason because he knew that his run of getting away with running a corrupt program was over. He knew that the other shoe was getting ready to drop, and drop hard. He “got an offer” from a team that already had a coach…OR, did he contact that team knowing that they would take him over the coach that they already had??? Once shady, always shady!!!

46. JDow says: Jun 16, 2010 5:55 PM

@BigTex, I am not saying if he did or didn’t, who knows? Really? I am saying people are acting like he and Reggie are the first to ever do these things, everyone needs to look in their own backyard. And I don’t see what the big deal is, I know if my company was fixin to go tits up and another one came along and offered me a boat load of cash and the chance to run the show, hell yeah I would be the first rat in the water. My main point is every big time program in CFB or CBB has some sort of corruption going on, Pete is being stoned only because of SC’s success.

47. JDow says: Jun 16, 2010 5:56 PM

48. CDAseahawk says: Jun 16, 2010 10:00 PM

MosesZD: He may have had other offers but none on the West or Best Coast. Seriously would you want to live on the east coast? I think not.
    browniebuck: You make some decent points and carroll may be doing as you say but it doesnt change the fact that the Browns may be the worst team in the NFL, even with The Walrus as Pres

49. browniebuck says: Jun 18, 2010 8:24 AM

CDA…that’s it, smoke and mirrors. Just like Pete Carroll…leave a job and claim it had nothing to do with the investigation that he knew would lead to major sanctions…you take a shot at my team instead of dealing with the points that have been made. You and Petey will get along great…until a REAL job opens up. Seriously…without Holmgren (before or after), what have the Seahawks EVER done???

50. DM says: Jun 19, 2010 10:42 AM

Pete is another Calipari.

51. DM says: Jun 19, 2010 10:47 AM

I’d like to see USC file a civil suit against Pete. Seriously.
    It’s time the institutions that suffer begin getting aggressive with the guys who cheat.

52. mnolefan1999 says: Feb 3, 2014 12:46 AM