Rod Woodson tries out coaching with the Bengals

Rod Woodson wore a lot of helmets in his Hall of Fame career, but the sight of him wearing a Bengals cap at practice on Tuesday still must have been odd.

The NFL Network analyst worked at Bengals minicamp as a coaching intern, indicating that he’s considering a career change.

Woodson wants to find out if coaching “is in my heart,” according to Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com.  The one-time Steeler called Marvin Lewis with interest in a job in January and jumped at the opportunity when Lewis called back this Spring.

Woodson will stick with the Bengals for most of training camp before his television commitment takes over.  The bigger question is whether Woodson is willing to give up a cushy TV gig for the grind of coaching permanently.

“The only way to do it is to do it,” Lewis said. “He’s going to commit himself to do it. Only thing he can experience is training camp and this.  He’ll know. He’ll have a great idea on it.”

We think Woodson does a terrific job on NFL Network.  He’s passionate, articulate, and does a good job teaching football.

Of course, those skills translate well to a coaching career.

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
44 Responses to “Rod Woodson tries out coaching with the Bengals”
  1. Byrd Is The Word says: Jun 15, 2010 7:47 PM

Maybe he’s training to become an assistant for Cowher.

2. Cincinnasty says: Jun 15, 2010 7:52 PM

3. digitalbath says: Jun 15, 2010 7:59 PM

he was doing alot of work with the 49rs last week,i could see him teaming up with lewis again and learning alot from a great def coach in lewis

4. ochostinko says: Jun 15, 2010 8:00 PM

Sign him up!

5. mrogers18 says: Jun 15, 2010 8:04 PM

Rod Woodson is the greatest CB of all time… yes Deion was the best cover corner of all time, but Woodson was physical and played on multiple #1 defenses. If his coaches are any determination of his ability to teach the game (Chuck Knoll, Dick Lebeau, Bill Cowher and Marvin Lewis) he should be OK.

6. kazkal says: Jun 15, 2010 8:05 PM

Love it even though he wore Black and Gold he was one of my favorite players…I hope they offer him a full time coaching position.

7. ItalianArmyGuy says: Jun 15, 2010 8:05 PM

@Rosie – “We think Woodson does a terrific job on NFL Network. He’s passionate, articulate, and does a good job teaching football. Of course, those skills would translate well to a coaching career.”
    ==========================
    Emmitt said that Woodson coaching for the Bungals would be a great big shebacle
    What’s he going to teach? World class sprinter speed? Some of the best natural hands and instincts ever (outside of a couple of guys like Deion and Ty Law)?

8. Trips Right, 68 Slant, D Slant says: Jun 15, 2010 8:08 PM

Why is it that anytime someone expresses positive comments toward a black person, one of the first things conveyed is that he is “articulate?
    Name me one article, video, show, or interview where some expressed how “articulate” a non-black person was.
    Is it just me? I don’t think so.
    ‘Nation………

9. PackAttackBackMan says: Jun 15, 2010 8:09 PM

Hmmmmm…lets see here:
    Working 80 hours/wk for 11 months, while babysitting million dollar prima donnas making 200-300k/yr or
    Working 40 hours/wk for 6 months while making 800k-1mil/yr………
    He would be a fool to leave that gig unless his heart wants back in the game……..

10. RavensFreak00 says: Jun 15, 2010 8:11 PM

I wish he would coach the Ravens secondary.

11. Citizen Strange says: Jun 15, 2010 8:13 PM

Dimmy? Dimmy? Why you do this to me Dimmy? / Exorcist-ed

12. 7370355q says: Jun 15, 2010 8:18 PM

I would do anything to be an NFL scout yet alone a coach.

13. adammwilson77 says: Jun 15, 2010 8:21 PM

great question. He has a bunch of kids and I’m sure he enjoys being with them. He is one of my favorite’s at NFL network.

14. Deb says: Jun 15, 2010 8:33 PM

Noooooooooooo, not the Bengals. Stop breaking my heart!
    LeBeau? Tomlin? Swiss cheese secondary?????? pleasepleasepleaseplease call Rod!!!!!!
    Sigh.
    Doesn’t matter. Could never wish Rod anything but the greatest success and happiness no matter what cap he wears. My #1 Steeler. Thanks for the memories.

15. Cincinnasty says: Jun 15, 2010 8:50 PM

Trips Right, 68 Slant, D Slant says:
    _______
    It will never go away if people like you keep making thing’s up to insinuate comment’s are more than they truly are…His mother is White and articulate is simply a COMPLIMENT… So please do us all a favor and tell me who all the white people voted in for president this year because without the white vote your President wouldn’t be black.. Child please shut the front door after you kiss the baby goodbye..

16. 49erFanLivingInDallas says: Jun 15, 2010 8:52 PM

Trips Right, 68 Slant, D Slant says: June 15, 2010 8:08 PM
    Is it just me? I don’t think so.
    ‘Nation………
    —————————————————————-
    I can answer that question for you easily. It’s because for some reason, even after 2-4 years of college, black men seem to want to speak like uneducated idiots. So when there is a black man on tv as an analyst or a narrator that can speak english well, people are surprised and they jump all over them and offer them a job.
    I’d be much prouder of my race if they actually spoke english and didn’t mumble phrases or statements. I have no idea why they choose to look like idiots. “Pants on the ground” comes to mind, doesn’t it?

17. BonnieD says: Jun 15, 2010 9:01 PM

All I could think is he is going to tell the Steelers everything he knows after camp is over.

18. TryTheVeal says: Jun 15, 2010 9:08 PM

Rod Woodson just seems like one of those guys, who would be good at whatever they decide to do….Oh. and i’m so sorry he’s articulate…It’s truly a shame someone complimented him….

19. Free Ben 7 says: Jun 15, 2010 9:20 PM

Good Luck to Rod no matter what he deceides to do!!

20. KillerKlown says: Jun 15, 2010 9:20 PM

Carl Pickens says that you are crazy to bring in Woodson. The rest of the football world says “why not my team?”…….
    This guy was a coach on the field, he’s not just a great player trying to act like a coach to stay busy. He will succeed if he wants to. The only real issue he MAY face COULD be the higher expectations great players typically have on others that maybe that individual can’t meet.
    Oh, and he is certainly “articulate”. And I don’t give a damn.
    Thank you.

21. Byrd Is The Word says: Jun 15, 2010 9:39 PM

@ ItalianArmyGuy
    How dare you.

22. CDrive28 says: Jun 15, 2010 9:52 PM

I don’t see why this is a big deal…Dermontti Dawson is interning with the Bengals too. I think Kevin Greene was there a few years back as well.

23. rbais2 says: Jun 15, 2010 10:16 PM

Rod has “ladies man like” looks and a guy that I think sounds kinda smooth.
    He’s not Deion, but we need more smooth and likable guys on TV.

24. ItalianArmyGuy says: Jun 15, 2010 10:18 PM

@Byrd Is The Word says: June 15, 2010 9:39 PM
    “@ ItalianArmyGuy
    “Shebacle is Deion Sanders’ word. You have debacled Emmitt’s credibility. Emmitt didn’t has to use all his wills and strength to endure the rice of passage just for you to confuse his vocabulary with that of other players. That’d be like confusing Wes Worker with Al Jackson.”
    “How dare you.”
    ============================
    Holy crap that was awesome, LMAO. Nice work, Byrd

25. Deb says: Jun 15, 2010 10:23 PM

@BonnieD …
    Don’t worry. Even the usual Steeler haters respect Woodson. Besides, when it comes to sharing info … Marv coached for the Steelers, our DC LeBeau coached for the Bengals, your OC Bratkowski coached for the Steelers, our DB coach Horton worked for the Bengals, and Woodson played on the Ravens Super Bowl team with his close friend Ray Lewis. Just a few examples. The NFL is a pretty incestuous organization :)

26. Deb says: Jun 15, 2010 10:40 PM

@CDrive28 …
    Neither Dermontti “WHY Isn’t He in the HoF??” Dawson nor Kevin Greene walked away from a successful $$$$ job as an NFL analyst to take an entry-level coaching position … if that’s what Woodson decides to do. Neither of them was a first-ballot Hall of Famer. Neither of them was one of only five then-active players voted to the NFL’s 75th anniversary team of the best at their position in league history. Woodson has a higher profile.

27. cpalmer9 says: Jun 15, 2010 10:57 PM

@ Deb,
    Your right, the Bengals and Steelers have shared a great numbers of coaches throughout the years, never really took notice of that. BTW can your Steelers please take Bratkowski back in Pittsburgh?

28. Ravenmaniac says: Jun 15, 2010 11:09 PM

@Deb….
    Dont worry, even the usual Raven haters respect Woodson….sorry I could not resist.
    Seriously…Rod is one of the best to ever play the game. I got a chance to meet him in 2000 at Three Rivers after the game. He was a great guy. I have the jersey he signed for me framed as well as the picture of him and I together hanging in my man-cave.
    Great guy. I think he would be a great coach!

29. MikeTysonWillEatYourChildren says: Jun 15, 2010 11:35 PM

Dear God – I hope he decides to go back to TV…Not because I question his potential to coach, but think of the opportunity cost – my entertainment lost when watching a smart/knowledgeable/experienced player who also can speak clearly/concisely (strange that this must be mentioned – I’m calling you out Emmitt, and you too Shannon) whom knows what he is talking about having played the game at the highest level.
    Whereas the alternative is the potential for another talking head media guy – like a tony kornheiser-esque commentator who knows as much about pop music teen idols as he does cleaning cotton candy machines at carnivals and discussing anything related to the NFL – or a player from a different NFL era who hasn’t played a down since bill romanoski disabled [him] using a cheap shot and doug flutie walked around holding a box of cereal with his face on it.

30. SixburghSteelers says: Jun 16, 2010 12:34 AM

Rod my man I think you’d make one hell of a coach…but not for the Bengirls!?!?!?!?
    Anybody but them or the Belicheats

31. kazkal says: Jun 16, 2010 1:35 AM

—-Interesting he’d be associated to the Bengals name for considering all the bashing he does to them in his analysts…Even when they’re doing good he finds something to bash about them.. I guess that may change a little this year.. —
    Thats a load of crap he was one of the first people back us in 2005 and was burned for backing us after 2005….He has always gave love for Marvin…Jamie dukes on the other hand is a fat sack of crap

32. kazkal says: Jun 16, 2010 1:37 AM

33. gambitto says: Jun 16, 2010 1:47 AM

If a born loser like Norv Turner can get multiple gigs, then there’s certainly a future for a guy like Woodson.

34. Trips Right, 68 Slant, D Slant says: Jun 16, 2010 2:05 AM

Holly Crap! After eating my peach ice cream and falling asleep to the ‘Lakers pile-driving the ‘Celtics; I wake-up to this.
    “It will never go away if people like you keep making thing’s up to insinuate comment’s are more than they truly are”
    “People like me?” Well there ya go…………..
    Per Merriam-Webster:
    Main Entry: Cin•cin•nas·ty
    Pronunciation: \ˌsin-sə-ˈnas-tē\
    Date: 1548
    1 : a person or thing that loses especially consistently
    2 : a person who is incompetent or unable to succeed; also : something doomed to fail or disappoint
    “So when there is a black man on tv as an analyst or a narrator that can speak english well, people are surprised”
    ‘No wonder Europe (I was there for six years)still considers us to be in the Stone Age.
    P.S. Go ‘Lakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ‘Nation………

35. dustyschmidt22 says: Jun 16, 2010 2:57 AM

glad to see this, anything he can teach our secondary is great. jjo, leon, and now throw in pacman, with woodson giving first hand lessons only spells a great cb trio getting even better.

36. SonsCompass says: Jun 16, 2010 6:23 AM

I agree with MikeTysonWillEatYourChildren.
    Even as a Bengals fan, I have the utmost respect for Woodson. IMO, he would be a great position coach. Him and Deion were the best corners of the 90’s and possibly of all-time. That said, I love watching him on NFL network for the same reasons others do. He is ARTICULATE and very knowledgable. Now if the Bengals ever tried to make Hines Ward a receivers coach, I would projectile vomit.

37. hineswardcriesafterfumbling says: Jun 16, 2010 7:54 AM

@Byrd is the word- that made my day. Hilarious.
    Before I actually finished reading the headline, my mind filled in “Rod Woodson tries out for the Ravens/Steelers”. Probably would have been an upgrade.

38. BengalsDouche2 says: Jun 16, 2010 9:32 AM

Sixburgh Steelers- Yeah these “Bengirls” swept your rapists and felons last year. Sucks doesn’t it? lol And we’re going to do it again this year.

39. Deb says: Jun 16, 2010 12:33 PM

Trips Right, 68 Slant, D Slant …
    You make some valid points. But backward as we Americans are in some of our idealogies, at least our citizens aren’t toiling to prop up creaking monarchies as well as semi-competent bureacracies. And while Britains and Europeans enjoy referring to us as “aboriginies,” it still sticks in their throats that they can’t wipe their noses without our help–and would not have survived WWII without our intervention.
    Yes, it seems the word “articulate” often crops into complimentary descriptions of people of color, and that may have cultural significance. Then again, I’m white and have often been called articulate. And Rod Woodson is biracial. Perhaps Gregg said he’s articulate simply because … he’s articulate.

40. Deb says: Jun 16, 2010 12:37 PM

@cpalmer9 …
    Nooo, that’s okay. You can keep Bratkowski. And hey, if this year goes anything like last, we’ll give you Arians, too! ;)

41. Deb says: Jun 16, 2010 12:50 PM

@Ravenmaniac …
    Don’t ever talk to me again!!!!! You met Rod and have an autographed jersey!!! Go away … sniff sniff sniff.
    Have an autographed photo of Rod, Lloyd, and Kevin Greene hanging in my Steelers room (it’s not a man cave LOL). My jersey is unsigned :( My Christmas gift the year he left was supposed to be an autographed mini-helmet, but the Steelers held the orders while they were in negotiations. When he didn’t sign, they cancelled them. I’d rather have had the helmet anyway … and cancelled Tom Donahoe on the head with frying pan. (I’d still like to do that.)

42. SixburghSteelers says: Jun 16, 2010 1:06 PM

@BengalsDouche2…
    C’mon dude, you can’t talk about a team with rapists and felons…lol
    Your boys LOOK to sign those types of guys!

43. JohnnyU says: Jun 16, 2010 1:52 PM

Actually Woodson has been pretty high on the Bengals chances this year. He thinks Cincy is under reated. He thinks Bryant will have more of an impact for Cincy that Boldin will for the Ravens because Bryant will be out #2 while Boldin will draw #1 corner coverage. Of course that won’t matter when we play them because we have two #1 corners. Woodson respects Marvin Lewis and they genuinely like each other. I would not be surprised to see Woodson teaming with Marvin here or where ever he ends up if he doesn’t return to Cincy.

44. Deb says: Jun 16, 2010 4:52 PM

Trips Right, 68 Slant, D Slant …
    Yes, I know it’s Britons, not Britains (rolling eyes at myself). It’s been one of those days :)