Sanders announces that he's signed with the Steelers

The move has yet to be be announced by the team.  But Steelers third-round draft pick, wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders, wrote via Twitter on Monday night that he’s signed with the team.

“It’s
official!!!!!!!! Ya boy is a Pittsburgh Steeler!!! Signed-seeled the
re deal. Can’t wait to earn every cent plus more!!!!
” Sanders wrote.

(That’s 15 exclamation points, which means it’s official.)

Sanders is a fast player from SMU that won’t be asked to do much as a rookie at a deep position for Pittsburgh.  But the Steelers have done a good job developing wideouts recently (Limas Sweed excluded), so he’s a player to keep an eye on.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
36 Responses to “Sanders announces that he's signed with the Steelers”
  1. Chapnasty2 says: Jun 15, 2010 9:30 AM

They are deep at WR? Whines Ward is going to be a bum here shortly and after that? Go ahead Steeler fans tell me I’m wrong, then provide some statistical evidence (other than Ward as he had a good year last season)

2. DonTerrelli says: Jun 15, 2010 9:31 AM

With Holmes gone and Sweed most likely gone, Ward, Wallace, and Randle El will be 1-3. If Sanders can catch every ball thrown to him, he will soon replace Randle El.

3. The Real Shuxion says: Jun 15, 2010 9:32 AM

It’s official!!!!!!!! Ya boy is a Pittsburgh Steeler!!!
    ——————————————————
    He was arrested? That’s a shame.

4. BenRapistberger says: Jun 15, 2010 9:34 AM

Wait what? A deep position? Hines Ward is old, Limas Sweed sucks AND is out for the year, Santonio Holmes got traded, Nate Washington went to the Titans last year. Just who the hell do they have that this guy is gonna be buried on the depth chart?

5. stiller43 says: Jun 15, 2010 9:34 AM

“Sanders is a fast player from SMU that won’t be asked to do much as a rookie at a deep position for Pittsburgh.”
    I guess “deep” is one word for their receiving corps…the word(s) I would use are old and essentially useless. Ward can still get it done and we all have big hopes for Wallace, but Randle El was an average number 3 when he was here the first time and Battle was signed more for special teams.
    I don’t think anyone expect a Wallace-esque rookie season from Sanders, but we’re going to need him to make plays sooner rather than later.

6. aec4 says: Jun 15, 2010 9:35 AM

JaMarcus Russell excluded, the Raiders have done a good job developing quarterbacks lately.
    OK, maybe not.

7. ItalianArmyGuy says: Jun 15, 2010 9:46 AM

He’s a serious deep threat burner
    Just hope he’s not a blunt-burner like old Santonio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (that’s 15 exclamation points – so I’m serious)

8. jsbmore says: Jun 15, 2010 9:54 AM

The Stinkers can sign all their draft picks + some…won’t matter. This year is a lost cause b/c Rothlisbooger is on the bench for 4 to 6 games and the Ravens are stacked this year.

9. Jungle Juice says: Jun 15, 2010 9:56 AM

Way to know your stuff. The Steelers are very thin at WR. They are going to be starting a second year player and an aging player. Who is their third?

10. grobb says: Jun 15, 2010 10:07 AM

Unfortunate Browns fan sees the Division ending up as follows:
    * Ravens
    Bengals
    Steelers
    Browns
    Baltimore is just too stacked and balanced not to win the division. Steelers and Bengals are similar in talant but Pittsburgh’s chemistry will be a mess this year. My Brownies might eke out 6 wins but still too many youngsters at the skill positions other than QB.

11. D says: Jun 15, 2010 10:14 AM

I hate the Steelers, but this kid is a player.

12. db3300 says: Jun 15, 2010 10:46 AM

An SMU player got drafted? Really? Their soccer program is more highly regarded. I live in Texas and haven’t heard anything out of SMU since they got the death penalty about a million years ago.

13. WhoDeySood5 says: Jun 15, 2010 11:04 AM

Someone HELP!!!
    Still looking for some reasoning as to why it seems everyone is giving the division to the Ravens?!?!? Bengals SWEPT the division last year and had a better offseason than the Ratbirds! The two teams are arguably very evenly matched except for two things. 1. The Ravens are getting old, especially on D, and like it or not this will be Ed Reed’s last year (probably not a full 16games either). 2. Secondary! How does nobody make a big deal about how crappy the Raven’s corners are. Look at the two teams’ talent at WR compared to who they’ll be going against on D; Then tell me how on Earth the Ravens magically get the edge in those regards???? We have arguably the best cornerback tandem in the league….. still looking for answers, someone please help

14. Monarch says: Jun 15, 2010 11:07 AM

I think he means Sealed, not seeled, pretty sure that’s not even a word

15. hineswardcriesafterfumbling says: Jun 15, 2010 11:09 AM

It’s good to see some Steelers fans see the reality of the WR position.
    I hate Ward, but he’s been “getting old” for a few years now, and he continues to produce. Not a true #1 receiver, but effective nonetheless.
    Wallace had a stand out year last year- with the opposing secondaries focused on Ward and Holmes. Wallace out of the slot was very similar to (in my opinion) Chris Henry. But it remains to be seen if he can do it as the #2.
    Randle El was a gimmick player. Adequate slot receiver who could run reverses and throw the ball on trick plays. Got paid a million dollars per catch in Washington. Comes back to the Steelers as an older, much less productive shell of the mediocre receiver he was for them the first time around.
    If this kid is a “deep threat burner” and Wallace is marginally affective as the #2, then the Steelers would have 3 solid options. After those 3, they’re basically looking in an empty cupboard.
    Just curious, who have the Steelers recently developed? In your own article you say excluding Sweed. Plaxico and Holmes? Developed them right off the team because of character concerns. They’re so good at developing WRs that the Steelers #1 receiver is 38 year old Hines Ward.

16. thepittsburghkid says: Jun 15, 2010 11:10 AM

We have Heath Miller who is probably the 3rd best TE in the game. You all forgot to mention Miller who I think will have a 1,000 yrd season easy.
    We are fine haters, just watch.
    @aec4
    And when they say developed WR you can look at the above guys plus all the guys that are gone. which is Holmes and Washington. I would say thats a pretty good recent development, wouldn’t you?

17. Maddog says: Jun 15, 2010 11:16 AM

jsbmore says:
    June 15, 2010 9:54 AM
    ———————————————
    Ravens stacked. Hillarious. Their overrated and over the hill defense is not what it was. And their quarterback could not beat out Tyler Freaking Palco in college. With Troy healthy and McFadden back, the Steelers D will win at least 4 of those first 6 games. So sit back and enjoy an 8-8 season with your stolen team idiots. I love it how outraged Baltimore fans were about Indy stealing their team, then they do the same thing and everything is okay.

18. PittsburghSteelerz says: Jun 15, 2010 11:20 AM

3G says they’re deep; Florio says keep an eye out for T.O.
    An ESPN-esque conflict?
    Personally, I agree with 3G

19. TheBengal13 says: Jun 15, 2010 11:24 AM

WhoDeySood5 —
    Don’t worry about it, man. I stopped giving a crap that the Bengals aren’t favored to win the division again, because like last year, the guys on that roster (along with Marvin and Zimmer) will like being touted as the underdog. I do love that the argument against the Bengals this year is the “they’re the Bengals. They have to show that they can do it two years in a row”–asenine. They had the best draft two years straight in their division, if not the league, and are returning ALL starters. You and I both know they’ll be good, but let’s just keep it a secret so that they can “sneak up on teams like they did last year.” Who Dey.

20. Bdrunk says: Jun 15, 2010 11:41 AM

jsbmore says:
    June 15, 2010 9:54 AM
    ———————–
    Wishin’ n’ Hopin’ – Dusty Springfield

21. Brock Landers says: Jun 15, 2010 11:53 AM

# Chapnasty2 says: June 15, 2010 9:30 AM
    —————————————————————–
    If their Receivers are so bad, then why waist your time trying to convince everyone else of that fact? Why do you even care about the Steelers? Aren’t you a Cowboy fan? They only play each other once every four years. Is it jealousy over the fact that they can actually win playoff games? Is it the fact that they have one more ring than the Cowboys? Is it because they have beaten the Cowboys in 2 out of 3 Superbowls? You post on almost every article about the Steelers. That seems a bit unhealthy to me. As far as them being deep at WR, Gregg Rosenthal said that, don’t blame us.

22. sguy2130 says: Jun 15, 2010 12:11 PM

My guess is he will earn those extra “cents” in the bathroom from Ben in between practices during training camp. Hines Ward also is a good tipper I hear.

23. Reggie'sBush says: Jun 15, 2010 12:12 PM

db3300 says:
    June 15, 2010 10:46 AM
    ^^^Thomas Morstead, punter 5th round by the Saints last year. You know, the guy who made the onside kick to lead off the 2nd half.

24. ickeyshuffle says: Jun 15, 2010 12:23 PM

i thought deion was coming back again…. all excitement is now lost

25. Chapnasty2 says: Jun 15, 2010 1:39 PM

@ Brock
    Since you asked… I have several friends who are Steeler fans so in my personal life I debate them a lot. I also comment on every Eagles, Redskins, Giants and Favre posts as well. I am not envious of anything really. I am a football fan and going back and forth with fans is half the fun. I am sorry you have some sand in your draws but that’s how I am and will be. Deal with it.

26. Deb says: Jun 15, 2010 1:42 PM

@Chapnasty2 …
    Ward is getting older, but he had a great year in ’09. No reason to believe his engine will collapse in a heap this year. It should be a gradual slowing down. Randle El is back and will fit nicely into our system. Don’t know why everyone overlooks Wallace. His numbers last year were comparable to Harvin’s.
    Santonio was a loss, but we would have lost him at the end of 2010 anyway. His contract was running out and he wanted more than the Steelers would spend. The Rooneys don’t believe in mortgaging the farm for players who only touch the ball a few times a game. That’s their longtime philosophy, which is why we’ve had so much movement at wideout since free agency came into play. Gregg’s right; we’ve had a lot of success developing young receivers. Sweed was an exceptional route-runner–just had it in his head he couldn’t catch.
    @ickeyshuffle …
    ROFL. When I saw the headline, Deion actually popped into my mind for a split second.

27. Beezer says: Jun 15, 2010 1:57 PM

Deb, often receivers and running backs don’t gradually slow down there is usually a dramatic decrease in performance. See Terrell Owens, Marvin Harrison, Tomlinson, Curtis Martin, Westbrook, Larry Johnson, Clinton Portis, Shaun Alexander, Torry Holt, Amani Toomer, Isaac Bruce, Jerry Rice, etc. They all had good years the year before and put up much smaller numbers the following year.
    The Steelers are not deep at receiver they have a nice young player in Wallace but Ward is getting old and Randle El is nothing more than a slot receiver. The reason Rosenthal called them deep at WR was because he is a Steelers homer.

28. hineswardcriesafterfumbling says: Jun 15, 2010 2:15 PM

@thepittsburghkid
    It depends on what you look for at TE if Miller is in the top 3. I think he’s right in that area, but 1000 yards easy?
    2009 Miller had a career high in catches, and a career low in average yards per catch. I think 2009 reflects Miller’s ceiling pretty accurately. He might hit 800 yds. But if you’re boasting Miller as a pass catching threat, he’s outside the top 5.

29. Chapnasty2 says: Jun 15, 2010 2:16 PM

@ Deb
    I would agree with Beezer.. TO put up some monster numbers in Dallas and has tanked ever since and TO is a far better receiver than Ward ever was or ever will be (and I hate TO by the way). Randle El hasn’t been a contributor since he got to Washington, in fact he has been terrible. Living in the area he is probably the most hated Redskin besides Portis or Haynesworth. Wallace will be a stud but That doesnt leave much.

30. Deb says: Jun 15, 2010 3:07 PM

@Beezer & Chapnasty2 …
    Don’t think we’re deep at receiver. Just don’t think we’re bug-eyed desperate. About middlin’.
    No, Randle El didn’t do much in DC, but who does? He’s not a replacement for Holmes, but he’ll contribute. Wallace is a star. And hey, Sanders could be this year’s Wallace.
    Beezer, agree with you on RBs suddenly crashing and burning more than wideouts. But even if that’s the case, who’s to say this is Ward’s year to hit earth with a thud?
    If Rosenthal is a Steelers fan, he hides it well.

31. MSWRavens says: Jun 15, 2010 3:32 PM

This is about the most honest commentary I have seen in forever!
    Yes, even Steelers fans realize that their receiving corps is razor thin. It’s a joke that PFT would call this group deep. Ward is old, but keeps himself in great shape & will still be a tough as nails productive possession receiver. Wallace needs to prove he can move outside & isn’t a fluke. That’s about it for youe receiving corps. Hardly anything to get excited about.
    I love the people saying the Ravens D is getting old – Ray Lewis & Ed Reed are getting old…and yes, they are our two HOFers on D. Nothing to just ignore. BUT, pay attention and see that we still have a botaload more talent on D. Will we replicate the 2000 greatest defense ever? Absolutely not…but we’ll be a top 10 defense AGAIN!
    Bengals fans – love your corners….and love your coordinator…but there’s a whole lot more to D than that. Your d-line is lacking, big time. Your LB corps has improved, but is nothing to get excited about. I’d say the same about your o-line and your diminishign receiving corps as well. BUT, what you are overlooking is that Carson has been no more than an average QB since he was taken out of the PO game by the Steelers. He needs to prove something! If he returns to pre-injury form, you’ll be a good team (I’m still not buying a repeat from Ced Benson or your line play (both sides of the ball)). But if you really want to know why people aren’t picking the Bengals, I’d say it’s because Carson’s mediocre play the last couple years.

32. Chapnasty2 says: Jun 15, 2010 3:46 PM

Everyone thinks Florio and Rosenthal are Steeler fans. I think they just know how to pretend to be fans of a particular team at a given moment just to generate hits. However, when someone comes up with their first ever season preview and thinkgs that interviewing Mangini is a good or even interesting thing to do shows their might be some bias in that direction.

33. MSWRavens says: Jun 15, 2010 3:48 PM

can’t believe I wasted my time doing this…but I had to check out bengal fans claim that they’ve had the best last two drafts in the division. Maybe it’s because their drafts are generally so bad that the last two seem so good. But, really???
    ’08 Bengals got K. Rivers, A. Caldwell & is A. Collins playing line? That’s it. Yup – that’s better than Joe Flacco, Ray Rice, Tavares Gooden…for STARTERS….sheesh. what are you smoking?
    ’09 you got Maualuga, who seems like a nice player (if he stays out of jail & on the field)…and A. Smith & M. Johnson. Will anything come of them? who knows. Ravens got starters Michael Oher & Ladarius Webb…and like Smith/Johnson, Paul Kruger may develop. not much separation there…
    You can’t be including 2010, because we all have very little clue who amongst these college players will pan out. But I’ll still take Kindle, Cody, Dickson, Pitta & A, Jones over Gresham, Dunlap & Shipley.
    Sorry to interrupt your bengal dreams…you can go back to lala land now…

34. Brock Landers says: Jun 15, 2010 4:24 PM

# Chapnasty2 says: June 15, 2010 1:39 PM
    @ Brock
    ——————————————————————-
    No sand here… Just was curious why someone would have so much hatred toward a team that isn’t even in their Conference, let alone their Division. I have friends who are fans of other teams, but I only hate my rivals (Ravens).

35. thepittsburghkid says: Jun 16, 2010 10:48 AM

@hineswardcries
    He has improved each year and its just a matter of time before he is a 1,000 yrd. rec. TE. The guy is top 3 period. He does everything well including catching and running with the ball. his avg yrd per catch was lower last year because our running game was awful so nobody had to play the run. If our running game is half decent this year he will have more room to run.

36. grant44 says: Jun 21, 2010 11:50 AM

dear jsbmore – you must be DREAMING to thing the Ravens are stacked. Boldin is a good but unstable additions at WR but the Ravens DB’s are gonna be TOASTED this yr by any decent passing team. Also, it will NOT be a lost season if the Steelers are able to go at least 2-2 w/o Ben. He WILL torture the Ravens, like he always does!!!!