Steelers sign four draft picks, cut seven players

The Steelers announced today that they’ve signed four draft picks, meaning they now have six of their ten 2010 picks under contract.

We previously noted that wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders announced his signing on Twitter and that wide receiver Antonio Brown got his deal done, and the team announced that linebacker Stevenson Sylvester and running back Jonathan Dwyer have also signed.

The Steelers had previously announced the signings of linebacker Thaddeus Gibson and defensive tackle Doug Worthington.

The Steelers also announced that they’ve released seven players: wide receiver Jason Chery, kicker Piotr Czech, linebacker Derrick Doggett, punter Adam Graessle, nose tackle Cordarrow Thompson, center Bradley Vierling and cornerback Trae Williams.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
30 Responses to “Steelers sign four draft picks, cut seven players”
  1. Citizen Strange says: Jun 15, 2010 3:34 PM

Go Steelers!
    GO STEELERS!

2. jj jones says: Jun 15, 2010 3:35 PM

Trae Williams – Another “Shack” Harris bust

3. BenRapistberger says: Jun 15, 2010 3:49 PM

I still can’t believe Jonathan Dwyer fell that far. I don’t care if his stats were a product of his system, and if he has a lot of wear because of it, the guy is quick and physical and seeing that kind of value and talent go to Pittsburg makes me a little upset.

4. Cereal Blogger says: Jun 15, 2010 3:49 PM

they cut Vierling ? mistake

5. The Real Shuxion says: Jun 15, 2010 3:51 PM

Why am I not surprised someone named Piotr Czech is a kicker?

6. Outlaw Jersey Whales says: Jun 15, 2010 3:55 PM

“…Cordarrow…”
    ————————————————–
    Didn’t Clark Gable, among others, drive one of those back in the 1930′s?

7. rollinyou says: Jun 15, 2010 4:11 PM

Pukesburgh will resign some of those players once there special team fall apart again. This season is the beginning of the end for this team.
    Prediction: 7-9…Tomlin is fired at the end of the season.
    I recently visited Pukesburgh and realized what an awful city it is. Do everything in your power to avoid that “pitt”

8. Outlaw Jersey Whales says: Jun 15, 2010 4:14 PM

“…, kicker Piotr Czech,…”
    ————————————————–
    Q: What do you get when you have an abortion in Prague?
    A: A cancelled Czech!

9. straightcashhomie says: Jun 15, 2010 4:18 PM

Steelers will be lucky to finish 2nd in their division. a 50 year old hines ward, no santonio, and a rapist qb who will suspended for 6 games. bring back cowher.

10. Katmanduu says: Jun 15, 2010 4:53 PM

rollinyou, I’d like to personally congratulate you for your douchebag of the year award. Tell us….did you have to work hard for it, or does being an idiot come easy for you?

11. D says: Jun 15, 2010 5:00 PM

@rollinyou
    Pittsburgh voted most livable city Forbes Magazine 2009. It sure sounds horrible there.

12. ArtModellsPimp says: Jun 15, 2010 5:09 PM

Who cares? The Steelers suck.

13. Deb says: Jun 15, 2010 5:12 PM

Aw, rollinyou, if you really thought the Steelers were in such sad shape, you wouldn’t bother trolling over here to comment? You’d just sit back and wait for the demise, then rub it in.
    I think we’ll be fine. But either way, Tomlin will still be around when it’s over.

14. DonTerrelli says: Jun 15, 2010 5:17 PM

Pittsburgh is an awesome city.

15. polishkingski says: Jun 15, 2010 5:45 PM

as an nfl fan looking at the steelers with no rooting interest i would say something is not quite right. last season they looked confused with their identity. i get the feeling that big ben and tomlin are not best of buds, not that a coach and player should be but we are talking huge ego big ben here. also remember that the chin wanted chan gailey to succeed him not mike tomlin.

16. jackybadass says: Jun 15, 2010 5:46 PM

why are the steelers good every year and the browns suck every year?

17. Crazy Nick says: Jun 15, 2010 5:50 PM

I forget. Can anyone tell me the name of the only team in NFL history to have won 6 Super Bowls?

18. WVUColumbus says: Jun 15, 2010 5:52 PM

Pittsburgh is Forbes (you may have heard of them) “Most Livable City” for 2009 edition.
    Nice try though.

19. Deb says: Jun 15, 2010 5:55 PM

@ArtModellsPimp …
    If you don’t care, why do you spend so much time on Steelers threads? LOL

20. ItalianArmyGuy says: Jun 15, 2010 5:59 PM

Goodbye Mewelde, hello again Willie Parker – please!!

21. Deb says: Jun 15, 2010 6:48 PM

@polishkingski …
    I think Ben and Tomlin may have a better relationship than people think. Ben did not get along particularly well with Cowher (who wanted Whis to replace him).
    After the police questioned Ben in Georgia, he phoned Tomlin at home before sunrise. After that, they talked daily. At one point, when speaking off the cuff, Tomlin said Ben was really a good guy (implying he just needed to get his head on straight).
    With all the trash talk, no one thinks about what the evidence really shows. For the second time, a woman climbed all over him then lied and claimed he raped her. Police were involved, his career was on the line, and he could have gone to prison for something he didn’t do. No matter how big a jackass he is, he had to be terrified. I got the impression Tomlin, who’s a religious guy, was providing a lot of emotional support–and hand-holding a problem QB to that degree isn’t in his contract. Don’t think he’d do it and don’t think Roethlisberger would turn to him if they didn’t have a good rapport.
    But who knows?

22. YourAreJealousOfSix says: Jun 15, 2010 6:48 PM

@rollin you! Meet me at The Point. It’s time for you to pay the piper, yinzer style. You feeling strong, keyboard cowboy?

23. Outlaw Jersey Whales says: Jun 15, 2010 7:09 PM

YourAreJealousOfSix says:
    June 15, 2010 6:48 PM
    “@rollin you! Meet me at The Point. ”
    ————————————————–
    The last time I tried to get onto the grounds at West Point I got hung up in the concertina wire. It hurt like the dickens.
    I got better though. They shot me at sunrise the next morning.

24. spudz says: Jun 15, 2010 7:12 PM

Crazy Nick says:
    June 15, 2010 5:50 PM
    I can I can…..but 4 of them should have an * beside them…..pass the juice please

25. BP says: Jun 15, 2010 7:20 PM

A “Piotr Czech” is actually a medical term. It is a type of pustular cyst usually found on unclean buttocks.

26. RAVNATION says: Jun 15, 2010 7:48 PM

The City of Pittsburgh bought off the editors of Forbes… Its very common in Pitt make buy offs rather then to earn them straight up.
    For example, the Steelers often buy the refs but thats another days topic.
    Pitt was also voted first in first cousin marriages but they couldn’t buy there way out of that one. In fact, I think they pride themselves from having only one set of grandparents.
    PS- I wont be back so leave me a message(all you steeler kunts) and when you are through – here is my reply all nice and ready for you- go F yourself. Pitt is trash.

27. Bossman says: Jun 15, 2010 8:04 PM

3rd place. I just came back from Vegas and bet a bundle on their “under” (9 games). You see, Steeler fans, I don’t just throw out the bullshit. I step up and bet money on my predictions. That’s because in Boston, we have balls. Pissants inbreeds from western PA don’t have anything but gingivitis and their towel….
    Looking forward to once again dragging your asses all over the field.

28. ItalianArmyGuy says: Jun 15, 2010 8:41 PM

@RAVNATION says: June 15, 2010 7:48 PM
    “Pitt was also voted first in first cousin marriages but they couldn’t buy there way out of that one.”
    ====================
    Baltimorons were too busy having sex with their grandparents to win that one
    True story

29. Klytus says: Jun 15, 2010 9:29 PM

“3rd place. I just came back from Vegas and bet a bundle on their “under” (9 games). You see, Steeler fans, I don’t just throw out the bullshit. I step up and bet money on my predictions. That’s because in Boston, we have balls.”
    Yes my dear, so where was all that chutzpah when the Ravens handed the Patriots their collective butts in the playoffs? The Patriots were TERRIBLE! I remember Ray Rice, Ravens running back, turning to the crowd in Gillette Stadium. After he just scored a touchdown and then asked, “Where are all of you going, the game just started?!” How sweet it is!
    In 2009, the Steelers played like they won it all the year before. I don’t think the team, the coaches or the front office will make that mistake again. So if the Steelers are 4/0 in 2010 would you pull Leftwich and insert Rothlisberger?
    Atlanta will be the Steelers opening game and the game is in Atlanta. After all that’s gone on in Georgia, I wonder if the home crowd will be warm and welcoming?
    It’s good to be hated.
    GO STEELERS!

30. HamBurghlar says: Jun 16, 2010 11:54 AM

LOL @ all the Ravens fans in this thread… You guys talk a big game….are you trying to make up for something?
    Oh, and the Pats are old news, past their prime. Noone’s talking about them anymore, gotta love when one of their fans has to bring them up in a non related thread.
    Keep hatin, makes us feel good to know you’re worried about our team! GO STEELERS!