Vikings beef up their backfield

With Chester Taylor gone and Toby Gerhart still wet behind the ears and Adrian Peterson whipping out a recent dose of passive aggression, the Vikings need depth in the backfield.

Enter Ryan Moats.

The former Texans tailback has signed with the team, according to the Vikings’ website.

Other members of the arguably crowded house include converted receiver (and former WVU standout) Darius Reynaud, Albert Young, and Boise State Fiesta Bowl hero Ian Johnson.

Moats rushed for 126 yards and three touchdowns on 23 carries against the Bills in 2009.  The performance earned Moats a starting job, but he was held to 38 yards on 16 attempts against the Colts the following week.

The decision could be interpreted as a not-so-subtle message to Peterson, who missed a mandatory minicamp in order to attend the Fourth Annual Adrian Peterson Day in East Palestine, Texas.  Peterson has developed a fumbling problem, and Moats’ big day came after Texans starter Steve Slaton landed on the bench due to a chronic inability to maintain possession of the ball.

51 responses to “Vikings beef up their backfield

1. Good signing..He can step right in and be a #2 back (if Toby isn’t ready) or a number 3. i don’t think AP is too worried about his arrival though….

2. That’s good but the important thing to remember is that Ted Thompson lives in a dungeon with his trained bats.

3. Hey PackFansLikeSheep,
    So fare you have listed 10 postings on this article. You’re a loser. No body gives 2 craps about you b&llSh!t opinion. Keep you stupid comments to yourself. Another thing get a job you idiot!

4. I doubt this has anything to do with Peterson. Probably more to do with competition for 3rd string RB. 2nd String at best if Toby doesn’t play well early.

5. This is a non-story. The Vikings signed free agent RB James Johnson several weeks ago, then cut him after the recent minicamp. Now they’ve replaced him with another backup-quality veteran free agent. It’s obvious they intended to have at least one veteran guy behind AP all along.

6. Nice signing!
    Get ready for all the homo Viking Bashers and their retarded comments, in 5….4….3….2…1….

7. He won’t be in Minnesota come September. Mr. Florio you are just getting a little too excited about everything. If a player gets a hang-nail it’s reported, all since the World Cup has started. It’s just your way of blocking it all out. 🙂
    As long as it’s about the Vikings though, so we can continue to read Packer fans bash us, and so we can retaliate, where we can all have a good laugh about it, then it’s all good.

8. AP didn’t fly to camp immediately to apologize after seeing this threat to his job signed?
    Really Moats is a message?

9. Ryan who? I agree that this signing makes no sense at all. He didn’t play for the Packers so why would the Viqueens bring him in ?

10. haha are you implying that ryan moats being brought in is a threat to AP’s starting job? that’s like saying tom brandstater was brought in as a message to peyton manning and he better be looking over his shoulder

11. royale2k100 says:
    June 15, 2010 12:59 PM
    ============================
    At least the Vikes bring in free agents.
    TT avoids them like they have a vagina.

12. Bash all you want Vike Fans.
    Here’s the Bottom Line:
    Super Bowl Wins
    Packers 3
    Vikes 0
    Sit on that and spin!!!!!!!

13. Gerhart is a machine and can carry the load just like he did at Stanford.
    Moats is just for the insurance policy, I would imagine. AP may be sitting out now, but he will have to show up when the season starts or else he’ll be losing money. Take money away from athletes and you always elevate their attention.

14. Westbrook will not sign with a team that plays on artificial turf. Moats isn’t suppose to be an attractive signing, its just an insurance policy if things go bad. AP and Gerhart are the vikes backfield.

15. RC IV says:
    June 15, 2010 1:11 PM
    royale2k100 says:
    June 15, 2010 12:59 PM
    ============================
    At least the Vikes bring in free agents.
    TT avoids them like they have a vagina.
    ———-
    There is a reason no one else snagged up this guy. there is a reason he is “free”

16. Fred Finstad says:
    June 15, 2010 1:17 PM
    Bash all you want Vike Fans.
    Here’s the Bottom Line:
    Super Bowl Wins
    Packers 3
    Vikes 0
    Sit on that and spin!!!!!!!
    The Packers have won the most titles with 12 and the Chicago Bears are 2nd with 9 titles. The Giants are 3rd with 7 championships and the Steelers have won 6. However, the Steelers have only won Superbowls.
    So Packers -12
    Vikings – 0

17. Fred Finstad,
    I’m impressed that you knew the FudgePackers won 3 SB’s since you ‘ve probably only been a fan since the one Favre won them. Who did you root for before that? Dallas? Then it must have been the Niners before that.
    Sit on that and spin, seasonal fan.

18. When a team has NO tradition and NO winning legacy, it is easy to see why it’s fans become frustrated and exhibit jealousy towards the fans of those teams that do.
    Packers: Established 1921
    Vikings: Established 1961
    Packers: 12 World Championships
    Vikings: 0 World Championships
    Packers: 3-1 in Superbowls
    Vikings: 0-4 in Superbowls
    Just a reminder: It’s called “The Lombardi Trophy.” Harry Peter “Bud” Grant is not mentioned anywhere….

19. Minnesota meet your new starter.
    AP has a case of the fumbles that isn’t going away and his career is on the downside.
    Remember–RB’s usually only have 2-3 good years tops.

20. OZ,
    Its easy to brag about your team when you choose to be a fan of a successful team. If the Pack didn’t have a winning tradition I’m sure the majority of the big mouth Packer fans who post here would have a different team.
    I’m not discounting anything the Packers have done in their history. They are the Celtics of the NFL with the most championships and richest tradition. I’m fully aware my team hasn’t won a SB, you people dont have to remind me. I’ve been a Viking fan since I was a little kid and I don’t care if they ever win a SB. I’ll still be a fan unless they move to LA.

21. “At least the Vikes bring in free agents.
    TT avoids them like they have a vagina.”
    Funniest post of the year.

22. Supersuckers says:
    June 15, 2010 1:42 PM
    RC IV says:
    June 15, 2010 1:11 PM
    royale2k100 says:
    June 15, 2010 12:59 PM
    ============================
    At least the Vikes bring in free agents.
    TT avoids them like they have a vagina.
    ———-
    ==============================
    It’s called veteran depth and insurance, you tool.
    You know, like you siad the Green signing for the pack was last year?
    Hypocrite.
    I really thought the “know nothing” thing was a gag or joke on here. Maybe it’s not?
    Can you really be that dumb?

23. One must remember that this is the same Ryan Moats who got cut by the Eagles because he
    1: Couldn’t hold onto the football
    2: Couldn’t block
    3: Couldn’t catch a pass
    Do the Vikings really want this guy?

24. Welcome to your offseason and the drama Favre can create, Queens fans. From one diva to another. Man, at least Favre has won something in the past. All Peterson does is fall apart at the times he is most needed. How many fumbles will have have this year? I put the over/under at 10.

25. Great move by the Vikings. Ryan Moats is capable of big games and adds awesome depth. While I was on the Westbrook bandwagon, the seemingly dozens of NFL teams who passed on him clearly know something I don’t.
    Great aggressive move by the Vikings. yet another guy the Packers should’ve gone after with their weakass Ryan grant and nobody else backfield.

26. Vikes 8480
    I remember when the Pack won their first 2 Super Bowls dim wit. Packer Fans are true blue, not like you pudden head fans. Keep spinning…JERK….
    LOS ANGELES VIKINGS HERE WE COME…..!!Or is it here we GOOO!!!!!

27. @ Musky

28. Vike8480
    And by the way..Brett only won one of those. Shows how much you know…………Modern day jerk!!!

29. This is just another case of Chilly trying to recreate his old Iggles Squad. That’s now Thomas Tapeh, Billy McMullen, Greg Lewis, Lito Sheppard, Artis Hicks, Koy Detmer, and Ryan Moats that he has signed that were former Iggles. I’m probably missing a couple as well…

30. Fred,
    Show me exactly where I said Favre won them more than one Super Bowl. Learn how to read. Maybe you should take an English class, Puddinghead! It’s comical how you can call me a dim wit when your obviously an uneducated douche.

31. @Fred Finstad
    HEY…
    OLD MAN…
    Zip it or I’ll break your hip.
    On second thought, can we do this in person?
    I am going to laugh my ass off when your screaming some nonsense, Sconny babble and your dentures fall out.

32. Gotta love fans who can only fulfill their lives through their football teams…..it’s a sport, the individual players could give a rat’s ass about the fans, all they want is the money. Players could give a shit about Vikings fans, Packer fans or ANY fans but yet posters talk like their the player’s best friends and know them. I am a sports addict myself but that’s where it ends, I wonder what some of these poster’s would say if they could read their stupid posts in a couple of years or would they have the courage to show their posts to their kids…..I rather doubt it.

33. Florio is just trying to goad the Packer fan sheep into this thread. This move has more to do with the Vikings replacing that RB they cut a week ago than AP’s absence.
    Before this move the Vikings had no proven RB on the team except All Day. This move is to give the Vikes a player with some NFL experience just in case the 3 unproven guys turn out to suck.
    Really at this stage of the season it isn’t that unusual for a team to carry extra players. Hell, don’t be surprised if the Vikes cut Ian Johnson or move Reynaud back to WR based on what they’ve seen.
    To assume this is a “message” to AP is retarded. It would be more likely that the Vikings intend to trade Peterson away than replace him with this schmuck.

34. PurpleRaid12 says:
    June 15, 2010 4:12 PM
    @ Musky Let me see if I understand you, and Supersuckers, and JimmySmith, and all the other pathetic Packer fans that bring up titles. Were you alive for any of those ‘titles’ your Packers won? Or do you still sit on grandpa’s lap while he reminisces about those wins? The point I’m trying to get across is, how are any of those titles relevant to this past season OR the future? I’m confused. Because, as far as I know, the NFL doesn’t give wins to teams that were dominant in the 1920’s, although I could be wrong… Not to mention, the Packers franchise has been around 40 years longer than the Minnesota Vikings. And 9 of those titles, you queers have, are equivalent to the same title the Vikings have from 1969. So get your facts straight. And finally, with your notion of thinking, I suppose the Rams, Raiders, Dolphins, Chiefs and Redskins really have nothing to play for, I mean… they have SB wins already right?
    LOVE IT!

35. “Who did you root for before that? Dallas?”
    The better question is…who did Viking ‘fans’ root for before this year?