Ed Roski's group raises the stakes for L.A. stadium

With a proposed downtown L.A. stadium suddenly gaining momentum and Ed Roski’s project in City of Industry being nudged out of the limelight, Roski’s group has hired a political public relations consultant to aid in the effort to win an NFL team.

The San Gabriel Valley Tribune reports that Roski has hired Ben Porritt, whose past clients include John McCain and Alex Rodriguez.

Roski’s project has secured all approvals to build.  It only needs an NFL team.  With the proposal from Tim Leiweke and Casey Wasserman gaining steam, Roski’s people presumably feel compelled to be ready to beat back the downtown proposal, before it overtakes the Industry location as the preferred alternative.

Meanwhile, the NFL will sit back and let the two parties fight it out.  Either way, the NFL wins.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories
40 Responses to “Ed Roski's group raises the stakes for L.A. stadium”
  1. Contra says: Jun 16, 2010 6:00 PM

So lets get this straight Florio. You dropped the Jags from the teams in the tagline? You kidding me? Vikings are NOT moving to Los Angeles.

2. MasterShake says: Jun 16, 2010 6:01 PM

Is it possible to have two stadiums and not a team? That would be pretty sweet. I mean, NJ or is it NY has one stadium with two non-teams.

3. HC says: Jun 16, 2010 6:03 PM

LA Jaguars, LA Chargers, or LA Vikings?

4. BleedingSilverAndBlack says: Jun 16, 2010 6:03 PM

No NFL team should be punished by playing in the City of Industry. I lived there most of my life. It is a sh*t hole.

5. PULL&SEAL says: Jun 16, 2010 6:10 PM

Roski’s project has secured all approvals to build. It only needs an NFL team.

6. no nfl in la is no problem says: Jun 16, 2010 6:17 PM

LA only supports winning programs/teams… if they move a good team will succeed. if they move the Jags, fughettaboutit!

7. BOW2SILVER&BLACK says: Jun 16, 2010 6:19 PM

THE RAIDERS WILL BE BACK IN L.A. AND WILL BE BETTER THAN EVER…….

8. Paulitik says: Jun 16, 2010 6:32 PM

Los Angeles Santos.
    Benson will take that scumbag team apart in a second to get out of there.

9. buzzbissinger says: Jun 16, 2010 6:33 PM

@BleedingSilverAndBlack:
    How many Raiders live in Oakland? Talk about $hitholes….

10. sniperhare says: Jun 16, 2010 6:37 PM

He dropped the Jags because they aren’t moving Contra. Roski wants to buy a team, and Weaver isn’t selling.

11. 4evrnyt says: Jun 16, 2010 6:41 PM

>>to CONTRA
    To bad you cant go back in time and convince all of the local NBA fans that the Minnesota Lakers would NEVER move to LA.

12. Joel_mac5 says: Jun 16, 2010 6:45 PM

“no nfl in la is no problem” is correct. Look at the Lakers/Clippers.
    Raiderfan can go suck a lemon. Your team’s departure made crime go down in L.A.

13. J-oh says: Jun 16, 2010 6:47 PM

Move the jags there, then kick KC out of the AFC west and let the LA Jaguars have their spot.

14. Contra says: Jun 16, 2010 7:16 PM

PULL&SEAL says:
    June 16, 2010 6:10 PM
    ———–

15. LBPACKFAN says: Jun 16, 2010 7:32 PM

Contra -
    Keep telling yourself that.
    I’d be nervous and in denial too…although I don’t have to worry about it cuz I am not a fan of a piss poor pathetic franchise like the Vikes. Good luck!

16. Mike Daly says: Jun 16, 2010 7:57 PM

Does the NFL win? We’re assuming there will in fact be a team in LA – problem is there’s no audience for one there.

17. Mike Daly says: Jun 16, 2010 7:58 PM

J-oh – kick the Chiefs out of the AFC West and replace them with the LA Jaguars? What in the name of Roman Gabriel for?

18. Raidergreg says: Jun 16, 2010 8:00 PM

Look fellas……The Raiders Aint goin to L.A….Been there done that! They are “rebulding” the fanbase here in Oakland. Oh and to “Buzzbissinger” SUCK A LIME BRO!

19. saintsfan66 says: Jun 16, 2010 8:04 PM

The NFL will not move the Vikings, they would rather dip in and help get a stadium built there before moving them. Unlike Jacksonville, they have a solid fanbase.

20. anthony says: Jun 16, 2010 8:25 PM

I’m from LA and the only Team that would work in LA is the Vikings and Raiders..
    The Raiders is the Only Team in the NFL besides Dallas that can go anywhere loose and still have millions of fanz behind them..
    The Raiders is the only team to bring a SuperBowl to LA!.. The Vikings on the other hand have a Ok fan base but have a team that can feed the City Of Angeles another young talented team like the Lakers & Clippers.. Yes the Clippers, w. maybe D-Wade Or Labron in the seeing eye The City Of Angels will be filled w/ talented teams… Lakers,Dodgers,Kings, etc..
    I would Love 4 the Raiders 2 have a new stadium but the Vikings would be the better pick..

21. RC IV says: Jun 16, 2010 8:29 PM

no LB, but you are piss poor and pathetic yourself.
    You are a fan of a team whose GM is a turd burglar. He faints at the site of Vagina.
    I wonder if TT slides little Teddy between MM’s man boobs? I bet he does, there has to be a reason Mumbles is still coaching.
    I’m willing to bet also, when capers farted himself awake during that game last year, there were some TT swimmers in it.

22. Green n' Gold says: Jun 16, 2010 8:44 PM

@Contra
    The only JOKE of a franchise is your pathetic, choking, never won anything ViQueen team. ViQueens to what they do best, choke when the going gets tough. Keep up the good work Queens!!

23. AlanSaysYo says: Jun 16, 2010 8:53 PM

Give LA back their Rams. Sick of the injustice of a St Louis team being in the NFC West. The place is about as far west as New Orleans…

24. kingmj4891 says: Jun 16, 2010 9:08 PM

I would love to see an LA Team. And unfortunately the Vikings and Chargers are in the running to move (I just don’t see the Jags moving, I feel they are committed to the area regardless of their current struggles which has more to do with the lack of talent on the field and a coach thats not Head Coach material). The Vikings and Chargers need new stadiums. I hope it would be the Chargers because as an NFC North Fan I would hate to see the division riped apart. Go Lions!

25. buzzbissinger says: Jun 16, 2010 10:22 PM

@Raidergreg

I’m a Raider fan, just not a big fan of Oaktown.

When life give’s you lemons, make lemonade, when life gives you limes, make margaritas.

How’s that shit, cat shit?

26. robigd says: Jun 16, 2010 10:46 PM

I love how it infuriates people that Jacksonville is not in the tag line.
    The media is finally starting to realize that we aren’t going anywhere!

27. PULL&SEAL says: Jun 17, 2010 6:37 AM

Contra says:
    June 16, 2010 7:16 PM
    PULL&SEAL says: June 16, 2010 6:10 PM Roski’s project has secured all approvals to build. It only needs an NFL team. The Vikings are kind of an NFL team, they’ve never won a damn thing, but maybe they’ll do… ———– So a ‘kind of an NFL team” swept the Packers last year? Is that what you are saying? No wonder the Packers are more and more becoming a joke of a franchise.———-Listen cuntra, I completely understand why Viking fans take such pride in beating the Packers, they’re the greatest franchise in sports. Hell, the trophy awarded to the best team in the game is named after a Packer coach for christ sake, but, beating them twice doesn’t put the Lombardi in the trophy case. In all actuality, it doesn’t mean a damn thing. I could brag about beating the Vikings 5 times in a row (06′ through the first part of 08′) but what did that do for the Pack? Absolutely nothing. The goal is to win the superbowl my friend, if the Vikings ever do it, then we can talk.

28. MinnesotaMauler says: Jun 17, 2010 8:05 AM

Thank You Saintsfan66 for not bein’ a total DOUCHE…all these flamers that just say BS for the sake of gettin’ a rise is so dumb. I do love a good florio bashing but half of these sallys in here are pathetic pieces of trash. i hope half of them find a tall tree and a short rope.

29. jj jones says: Jun 17, 2010 8:25 AM

The Jaguars will never move to LA. The NFL already has two AFC teams in California that play in dumps and neither exactly has a waiting list for tickets. One of them will be the team in LA.

30. Supersuckers says: Jun 17, 2010 12:38 PM

31. Supersuckers says: Jun 17, 2010 3:04 PM

“I mean I know for a fact you go to maybe 1 game every 2 years, “

32. Supersuckers says: Jun 17, 2010 3:07 PM

RC IV says:
    June 17, 2010 2:51 PM
    Supersuckers says: June 17, 2010 12:38 PM If the Vikings were to move I am almost certain they would not be the LA Vikings. They would have a new nickname uniform etc etc. Much like the Ravens when they left Cleveland. As horrible of fans they have the Vikings do have some tradition in the NFl and if it were to expand and the state of Minnesota were to pull their heads out of their asses after the move and build a stadium they would get a expansion team and be called the vikings. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>Thanks for the input, but thye aren’t going to be moving, much to your chagrin. What makes us such awful fans?Supporting a team even though they have never won the big one? Filling the stadium to 95% capacity at most games? Seriously?! You Packer fan idiots have no clue. I mean I know for a fact you go to maybe 1 game every 2 years, but yet you brag about selling out the stadium and all that garbage. If you had season tickets, I might take you more serious, until then, you are a fairweather fan just like you accuse the Vikings fans of being….
    —————–
    Where did I say I want them to move? The horribleness is The Viking Fan Attitude. The spitting at the dump. The fighting packer fans at the dump etc etc. Ive been to way more games (37 i think) then you have been to viking fans. this is a argument a 12 year old would be having.

33. The San Clemente Kid says: Jun 17, 2010 3:32 PM

Raider fans go to http://www.RaidersFanConvention.com
    click the “join free” link and we will send you info on the 2010 event

34. RC IV says: Jun 17, 2010 4:37 PM

Super, and I’m sure you never opened your mouth while you were there( I know this to not be true, you can’t keep your mouth shut).
    Argument a 12 year old would be having?
    True, but I had to come down to your level to get through to you, i don’t mean to talk above your education level, so sorry.
    Do you have season tickets to the packers? No, do you go to stub hub every week and get tickets? no. This means you have nothing to do with selling out Lambeau for the last 80 years.
    I could care less how many games you go to(its not 37 though).

35. Beer Cheese Soup says: Jun 17, 2010 6:58 PM

Contra says:
    ____________________________________
    That’s correct. See, if you were a “real” NFL team, you would have something better to brag about than a couple of meaningless REGULAR SEASON victories. No one cares about the regular season except Viking and Seahawk fans. The Saints won last year. Everyone else tied for last. Colts, Vikings, Packers, Steelers, Patriots, Lions, and etc.; all losers in the end. Your regular season sweep of the Pack, which most of you see as the high water mark of your franchise, earned you nothing at all except a slightly later draft pick. so, congratulations! You still don’t get a trophy, but here’s your sign…

36. Supersuckers says: Jun 18, 2010 9:52 AM

This means you have nothing to do with selling out Lambeau for the last 80 years. I could care less how many games you go to(its not 37 though).
    ———————-
    If I but a ticket from a season ticket holder then it s moving money from left pocket to right pocket. Its the same thing. And please explain how you would know how many games I have been to? I can list them all within a one or two of each other. How in the world would YOU know how many game I have been to. And why would I make that up?

37. Supersuckers says: Jun 18, 2010 10:31 AM

lions and chargers in 96
    buffalo in 97
    raiders in 99
    bears in 2000
    vikings home and away in 2001
    carolina and miami 2002
    at minnesota and at home against denver in 2003 (paul allen NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO game) watched the end of that choke job in a suite.
    Tennessee, Dallas and Detroit 2004
    @minnesota 2006
    philly 2007
    dallas 2008
    Thats 30 i can remember. So maybe 37 is incorrect but I know I am missing some.

38. sand0 says: Jun 18, 2010 12:15 PM

Vikings just have too strong of a fanbase. They were top 3 in ratings last season and top 5 in attendance percentage. You don’t take an elite fanbase team and move it. Once the Vikings have a new stadium, they generate lots of revenue for the NFL. Jacksonville and Oakland have decent stadiums and can’t come close to filling them.
    Really it is a no-brainer. But the “fear” of Vikes moving is a good thing because it will give our lawmakers here some sense of urgency to make it happen.
    I just hope when we do build the new stadium that we don’t go on the cheap like with the dome. Build a nice stadium that we can be proud of. It is such a great sports city I feel like we deserve to treat ourselves.

39. RC IV says: Jun 18, 2010 1:12 PM

lions and chargers in 96
    buffalo in 97
    raiders in 99
    bears in 2000
    vikings home and away in 2001
    carolina and miami 2002
    at minnesota and at home against denver in 2003 (paul allen NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO O game) watched the end of that choke job in a suite.
    Tennessee, Dallas and Detroit 2004
    @minnesota 2006
    philly 2007
    dallas 2008
    Thats 30 i can remember. So maybe 37 is incorrect but I know I am missing some.
    ======================
    Please provide proof that you were there. i can say I went to 50 games too.
    Do you have the ticket stubs? It’s like your posts, brash proclimations, with no substance to back it up.

40. Pack over DyQueens says: Jun 22, 2010 4:06 PM

I will keep this brief… we all know Viking fans have short attention spans.
    Anyways, all the assumptions about the Vikings having a “strong” fan base are FALSE. I would define a fan base as “strong” by their ability to carry the team financially as well as emotionally. They can do neither very well. It is well known that in years past they were unable to sell out a PLAYOFF game. And as the following Forbes article demonstrates, they ARE ONE OF THE MOST WORTHLESS TEAMS.
    As you can plainly see. They have the second lowest value, one of the highest dept to value percentage.
    This means the owner has every reason to move to LA. The fans spend less per capita than almost anyone else in the league. Plus, when he moves to LA, the estimates are that the team will be worth $1.2 Billion the minute they settle in. Hmmmm…. $835 million vs 1.2 Billion + New Stadium?? Only a minnesota business man would choose the former.