LenDale White admits using marijuana, questions Pete Carroll

In his first interview since being released by the Seahawks, LenDale White acknowledged smoking marijuana during his NFL career and criticized Pete Carroll, the man who coached him in college at USC and coached him again, briefly, in Seattle.

“I did it, so it is my fault,” White told Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean of his looming four-game drug suspension. “I smoked marijuana; that is all I have ever done. That’s all I do, that’s it. I smoke. I don’t care about any other drugs, but it’s marijuana. . . . But I have changed. I am a good man. Unfortunately the stuff that I did in my recent past caught up to me in the present and it’s affecting my future.”

White seems angry at Carroll, the Seahawks coach who traded for him on draft day only to release him a month later.

“Pete Carroll? The same Pete Carroll who ran out on ‘SC?” said White, shaking his head. “I have no comment on Pete. I better wait ’til I’m on a team one day before I say anything.”

Whether White is ever on another NFL team is an open question. In both Tennessee and Seattle, there was talk that he doesn’t work hard enough at getting himself into shape, and that he’s more trouble than he’s worth in the locker room.

White seems to understand that he might not get another chance.

“My emotions have been all over the place,” White said. “My hope is to keep playing in the NFL, but I know now nothing is guaranteed. I now have to find a team, someone, that believes in me and trusts me and I can show I’m not a bad guy, not a bad teammate. I’m just going to keep praying to God that everything is going to work out.”

Permalink 62 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
62 Responses to “LenDale White admits using marijuana, questions Pete Carroll”
  1. Fez says: Jun 16, 2010 7:14 PM

Mr. White, please meet the UFL. United Football League, please meet Mr. White.

2. Phlyin reallll high says: Jun 16, 2010 7:16 PM

Not a great time to admit to the world you’re a stoner, ya know…while looking for a job and stuff.

3. BleedingSilverAndBlack says: Jun 16, 2010 7:16 PM

uh oh…. USC is unraveling

4. sniperhare says: Jun 16, 2010 7:16 PM

Lazy pothead.

5. TheWizard says: Jun 16, 2010 7:24 PM

As usual, a little late “getting it”.
    These people must have such a sense of entitlement, to squander the opportunities very few ever get.
    Reality is a cruel teacher.

6. timegambit says: Jun 16, 2010 7:29 PM

He tends to do alot of hoping. Like a person who buys lottery tickets.
    “Hope,” usually translates to: I’m gonna keep doing exactly what I’m doing and maybe I can fall into something.
    Hope you know what you’re doing.

7. irishgary says: Jun 16, 2010 7:30 PM

Love how these guys all pray to God after they’ve done something incredibly stupid.

8. Ravensatron says: Jun 16, 2010 7:32 PM

Maybe stop praying and start acting properly – then you might get on a roster

9. prmpft says: Jun 16, 2010 7:38 PM

man, it’s only one illegal thing – some people like to rape, some like to shoot people @ scrip clubs, some just smoke weed…can’t we all just all get along and let sorry ass athletes do they thang!!!???

10. thetechnocrat says: Jun 16, 2010 7:38 PM

Poor bastich. I hope he moves to Cali where he won’t be ridiculed for a drug less addictive than alcohol ’cause it sure seems like he’ll need it since he won’t be playing this year. Unless the cryptkeeper snaggles him.

11. TFBuckFutter says: Jun 16, 2010 7:48 PM

I admit to using marijuana and ALSO question Pete Carroll.
    Funny when you find things in common with someone you never would have expected.

12. Buck Stallion says: Jun 16, 2010 7:48 PM

Pro athlete who is out of shape after dropping 30 lbs, & he did so by smoking weed? …really?
    That’s a tough pill to swallow….or crush up and snort.

13. Jaso says: Jun 16, 2010 7:51 PM

Redskin running back team will prob sign him.

14. ClayMatthewsPonytail says: Jun 16, 2010 7:52 PM

Was this interview really from the Tennessean or was it actually High Times?

15. granadafan says: Jun 16, 2010 7:55 PM

I don’t have much sympathy for guys like Lendale White who throw away a career most people would love to do through laziness, criminal actions, or eating their way out of the league. The sense of entitlement Lendale feels he’s owed is astonishing even for a U$C guy.

16. John El Way says: Jun 16, 2010 7:58 PM

aaaahahahahaahaaaa

17. bodhizuffa says: Jun 16, 2010 7:58 PM

That’s what you get for stomping on the Terrible Towel…

18. medic406 says: Jun 16, 2010 7:59 PM

I also want the world to know that I too only like marijuana..oh wait, no I don’t because that disqualifies me for every well-paying job in the union we refer to as the U.S.A. Lesson learned…don’t smoke pot if you want a career….thanksfor the lesson Lendale.
    Sincerely,
    Med406

19. This is not news says: Jun 16, 2010 7:59 PM

“I did it , so it is my fault ”
    White is facing his 2nd drug offense, as the NFL gives a mulligan on the 1st.
    Vickerson, the other guy in the trade has already served a 4 game suspension for steroids -a 1st offense penalty (unless you are named Williams). If there is a next, it will be a year off.
    Fisher 2 – Carroll 0

20. whoaleckna says: Jun 16, 2010 8:02 PM

Life comes at you fast……
    What was it 1.5 yrs ago he was stomping on a terrible towel and with Snoop, etc…..but now, he’s a big back who lost all the big

21. sricko says: Jun 16, 2010 8:08 PM

Smoking weed is great but not if you’re an NFL player, White’s career is essentially over.
    Plenty of other guys like him who don’t have all this baggage.

22. brasho says: Jun 16, 2010 8:10 PM

23. Gelardia says: Jun 16, 2010 8:13 PM

Has it been reported yet, officially, why LW was released?
    It was insinuated that it was because of his work ethic but A) it couldn’t have been worse than in college, ya know? Gotta work harder in the NFL. And B) how horrible could his work ethic have been in the 1 week (give or take) he was in Seattle.
    It definitely wasn’t the pot or the suspension cause I thought I read that Seattle knew about the suspension before they traded him.
    I smell conspiracy.

24. DonTerrelli says: Jun 16, 2010 8:14 PM

LenWhale was a good RB 2 seasons ago. What happened?

25. Mike Daly says: Jun 16, 2010 8:17 PM

LenDale White is angry at Carroll yet not at the fact he’s doing a stupid thing? GET OFF THE MARIJUANA!

26. jimmySee says: Jun 16, 2010 8:22 PM

He can pray and pray and pray — but if he makes a roster, some other player will not.
    Then, that guy will pray and pray and pray.
    Memo to Lendale — it will take more than prayer to make it in the NFL.

27. BigSuede says: Jun 16, 2010 8:22 PM

There is no shame in using maurijuana- but you have to be an idiot to not pass a drug test… Lendale white deserves the suspension for stupidity

28. comment_submission_error says: Jun 16, 2010 8:36 PM

Say it with me, LenDale…UFL, UFL, UFL. It’s only one letter away from the career you could have had if you weren’t a fat, lazy stoner.

29. gagagoo says: Jun 16, 2010 8:45 PM

ufl would be a great option. gagagoo!

30. chipwade says: Jun 16, 2010 8:50 PM

If you can play in the NFL and run for 1000 yards while smoking weed. You should be able to get on a team. That’s impressive. His punishment should be to play a whole game really high.

31. AlanSaysYo says: Jun 16, 2010 8:56 PM

You know LenWhale and Pete Carroll have probably lit up together a time or two. That’s why LenWhale is so jilted.

32. Vikes = Superbowl says: Jun 16, 2010 9:00 PM

33. TFBuckFutter says: Jun 16, 2010 9:02 PM

“brasho says:
    June 16, 2010 8:10 PM
    Awwww, poor baby pot smoker just needs a third or fourth chance. Why is it that weed smokers like LenWhale always have a repetition as being lazy? I wonder if there is a connection. I’m sure about 50 potsmokers will read my post, all will be offended but only 5 or 6 will actually comment on it… for the rest… they had stuff to do… man.”
    You mean like that lazy piece of crap Richard Branson?
    Or what about those douchebags George Washington and Thomas Jefferson? GET A HAIRCUT YOU DAMN HIPPIES THEN MAYBE YOU CAN GET A REAL JOB!

34. Corey says: Jun 16, 2010 9:05 PM

worthlessberger still has a job. i can’t believe people hate on lendale so much for smokin a little weed and that ass hole is still in pittsburgh.
    priorities people

35. Cereal Blogger says: Jun 16, 2010 9:43 PM

LenDale = munchies

36. Gatorfan1 says: Jun 16, 2010 9:46 PM

I’m sure USC could figure out a way to get him more eligibility. Just call coach McNair, he’ll hook ya up!!!
    Or maybe he should call Reggie @ Naw’lins and see what’s up…maybe Reggie will let him sell his Heisman for some “rain” cash…..oops..that’s right in a couple of weeks he won’t have one of those anymore either….scratch that plan….lol…

37. TFBuckFutter says: Jun 16, 2010 9:52 PM

Great. First they take away the voting function, and now they take away proper spacing in the comments section.
    Way to run a site PFT (this is supposed to be a new line).

38. FumbleNuts says: Jun 16, 2010 10:02 PM

Paging Al Davis… A… Mr. White is here to see you?

39. TheRedBengal says: Jun 16, 2010 10:06 PM

LenDale will be wearing bengal stripes by week 5

40. CDrive28 says: Jun 16, 2010 10:06 PM

@Vikes=
    Marijuana should in fact be on the NFLs banned list, because it is ILLEGAL in the United States at the moment.
    Personally, even though I don’t smoke pot, I think it should be legal. It certainly can’t be as bad for you as alcohol.

41. whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says: Jun 16, 2010 10:12 PM

Really? Lendale White smoked marijuana???? Shocking! His Uncle is Snoop Dogg for crying out loud. How is this surprising?

42. chiefBartle says: Jun 16, 2010 10:17 PM

so when people get in trouble, it is all denial at first, then after a while, it turns to prayer, and hoping God will help them…. this is the same PR crap over and over, if agents actually go to school, this is ‘Agent 101′ class, so we are actually expected to think that the guy all of a sudden found God, amazing the way all this happens… I am waiting for the day when they skip the crap, and just after getting in whatever predicament they are in, they are just gonna say “God made me do it, it’s His fault, not mine” … I am not a very religious guy (maybe I should break the law to find that, denying everything first of course), but this just seems rediculous to use this as a PR stunt…

43. NgataChance says: Jun 16, 2010 10:17 PM

44. Byrd Is The Word says: Jun 16, 2010 10:19 PM

45. TFBuckFutter says: Jun 16, 2010 10:58 PM

“Byrd Is The Word says:
    June 16, 2010 10:19 PM
    I got no problem with smoking the Mary J….unless you are a professional athlete. You can’t tell me it doesn’t affect your lungs, which is kind of a vital component of playing professional ball, if you don’t want to get winded so easily. ” (Lets see if that fixes the messed up system)…..so you’re saying that something that doesn’t BENEFIT an athlete should be banned? Ban tobacco and alcohol too. Hell, ban carbs while you’re at it. And actually….I guess since HGH and steroids HELP an athlete perform better, they probably should be legal. Good logic there, allstar.

46. rovibe says: Jun 16, 2010 10:59 PM

This guy is a tool in the worst way. He should be apologizing to Carroll for having been a waste of a draft pick. He thinks it’s no big deal to break the rules, but it is. What he did isn’t the issue. It’s that he willingly did something he agreed not to do, while getting paid to follow the rules. Imagine if Roethlisber said this: “I did it, so it is my fault. I raped someone; that is all I have ever done. That’s all I do, that’s it. I rape. I don’t care about any other crimes, but it’s rape. . . . But I have changed. I am a good man. Unfortunately the stuff that I did in my recent past caught up to me in the present and it’s affecting my future.”

47. rovibe says: Jun 16, 2010 11:00 PM

Or how about O.J.? “I did it, so it is my fault. I nearly decapitated two people; that is all I have ever done. That’s all I do, that’s it. I decapitatea people. I don’t care about any other violent crimes, but it’s murder. . . . But I have changed. I am a good man. Unfortunately the stuff that I did in my recent past caught up to me in the present and it’s affecting my future.”

48. JoeSchmoe says: Jun 16, 2010 11:16 PM

He’s getting carries in Cincinnati by week 10. And as a Bengal fan, I’m totally fine with that. Larry Johnson gave us exactly what we needed out of him in damn near the same scenario last year. Different reasons, but same role to fill… and actually, more tread on his tires if anything.

49. manofaiki says: Jun 16, 2010 11:19 PM

Attitude is a big part of success – or lack thereof- in the business world.
    And at it’s heart, the NFL is a business built around a sport.
    And if your attitude is you will use illegal drugs, that is not the only symptom you will have that shows you don’t ‘get it’. Now, after being cut, he suddenly ‘gets it’ that he shouldn’t be smoking mary jane? He knew that all along. Only his attitude has changed, not his understanding of what he was doing.

50. Jungle Juice says: Jun 16, 2010 11:28 PM

Kinda hard to stay in shape when all you wanna do is watch cartoons and eat Doritos

51. ItalianArmyGuy says: Jun 17, 2010 12:22 AM

************************
    Don’t mess with the towel.

52. favre uses allens mullet as handlebars says: Jun 17, 2010 12:56 AM

ItalianArmyGuy says:
    June 17, 2010 12:22 AM
    You stomped on the Terrible Towel, dude. What the hell did you think was going to happen? Lucky that you haven’t wound up in jail — yet. ******************** **** Don’t mess with the towel.
    ================================
    We got a superTOOL! Shut ur dumb Bitchburg ass up! Have fun with Leftwich weeks 1-4. In that time enjoy ur dose of the TITANS!

53. mawkus says: Jun 17, 2010 1:10 AM

Classy Lendale, criticizing the guy who went out on a limb for your lazy ass. Maybe he had hoped that you had grown up from that little punk you were in college, but nah nothing changed. It’s not Carroll’s fault you suck.

54. Nambla Limbaugh says: Jun 17, 2010 1:16 AM

They’re right about that terrible towel curse. I stomped on one of those yellow phag rags and approx. one week later Ben Roethlisberger was a serial rapist. Behold the Power!

55. trademcscab says: Jun 17, 2010 1:53 AM

i also burn one for the nation and question pete carroll’s loyalty and pro coaching credibility

56. OakRaided says: Jun 17, 2010 1:58 AM

This guy is praying while rollin a j…

57. Scott P says: Jun 17, 2010 5:51 AM

Hey, if Ricky came back after smoking the ganja, you can too, man. Wait, oh sorry, Ricky had talent. Sorry, dude, you’re screwed.

58. We need linemen says: Jun 17, 2010 6:24 AM

59. Chop Block Murphy says: Jun 17, 2010 10:15 AM

Vikes = Superbowl says:
    June 16, 2010 9:00 PM
    some of you people are so stupid. you going to call percy harvin a lazy pothead? haha marijuana should not be on the banned list in the nfl and shouldn’t be a criminal activity. funny how some people are criticizing a pothead yet he is in the nfl and your sitting on your computer. therefore proving my point that marijuana does not affect you in anyway. ——For the love of god… Do you happen to smoke marijuana? Because if you do you’re exhibit A in the argument that marijuana most certainly DOES affect you – in quite a negative way.

60. 60eagles says: Jun 17, 2010 11:00 AM

No pity from me. He was too stupid to have all that money and a chance to play at USC and the NFL. Next: You want fries with your order?

61. Eternal Optimist says: Jun 17, 2010 1:27 PM

NgataChance said: “I smoke marijuana, work full-time and attend college full-time. I found out today that I made straight A’s this term. Just sayin’… And yeah, PFT, please enable the ability to create spacing in these comments. It’s ruining my poetic license.”
    I yoused to smok marewana and gett gud graids two, butt eye think that eye smokt it 4 two long. It mite half affectud my mynd a bit.

62. TFBuckFutter says: Jun 17, 2010 5:33 PM

“We need linemen says:
    June 17, 2010 6:24 AM
    I’ve got no moral issue with drug use. None at all. They aren’t safe, but I think they should be legal. That said, “That’s all I do, that’s it. I smoke.” What a moron. I don’t give a flying that you use weed but don’t smoke it you muppet. You’re meant to be a professional athlete and you’re deliberately inhaling toxic smoke. Somehow I doubt you’re using a filter so you’re effectively smoking unfiltered cigarettes you numb nuts. You should be trying everthing to improve your aerobic fitness. A good first step would be not deliberately filling your lungs with smoke. “——————I know this topic is dead, but dude….you are WOEFULLY ignorant about marijuana smoke. There are no harmful chemicals in pot (at least not if you know where you’re getting it)…..and not only that, but they have actually shown that while the pot smoke is carcinogenous (like all smoke), marijuana users are at a LOWER risk of lung cancer because the THC causes old and dying cells to shed rather than wither and become cancerous. Stop believing everything you heard in elementary school.