Report: Haynesworth will show up for training camp

Despite his absence from a mandatory minicamp, recalcitrant Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth reportedly will show up for training camp when it opens on July 29.

If, of course, he’s still on the team.

The report comes from Chris Russell of 106.7 The Fan, who cites an unnamed NFL source.

But Haynesworth won’t be showing up because he’s finally seen the light.  Instead, Russell reports that Haynesworth hopes to avoid potential litigation with the team, which would have a better argument when it comes to trying to get money back from the player if he doesn’t show up for training camp.

As we’ve separately heard, Haynesworth’s advisers believe that his only consequence for failing to show up for the mandatory minicamp is a fine in the neighborhood of $10,000.

So if/when he shows up, he may be acting like another player from another NFC East team five years ago.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
43 Responses to “Report: Haynesworth will show up for training camp”
  1. Chapnasty2 says: Jun 16, 2010 2:53 PM

“We can only hope that Haynesworth won’t eventually be doing shirtless sit-ups in his driveway.”
    Well played

2. The Real Shuxion says: Jun 16, 2010 2:55 PM

What a Pro!!!!

3. wxwax says: Jun 16, 2010 2:56 PM

I’m thinking the furor has caught Haynesworth by surprise and he’s wondering if he hasn’t overplayed his hand.
    He has the ethics of a boxing promoter.
    Even if he does report and play, he won’t be worth a damn.
    Maybe Haynesworth’s the guy who finally convinced little Danny that he doesn’t know from football and should hire men who do.

4. marcduke says: Jun 16, 2010 2:56 PM

I don’t think Fat Albert knows what a sit-up is…

5. 1nationraidernation says: Jun 16, 2010 2:58 PM

I think Haynesworth would look great in Silver and Black, along side Seymour, Henderson, Kelly and Houston………..Lions, Tigers and Bears oh my!

6. AlphaQ2 says: Jun 16, 2010 3:01 PM

Actually, sit-ups would probably be a great place to start for fat Al.

7. ☻☼CBS, FOX, ESPN, NFLN nbc says: Jun 16, 2010 3:03 PM

The switch to the 34 scheme is going to ruin the Skins. With all of our players in the box being built for the 4-3 and a secondary that isn’t worth shit, i have no clue why the switch?
    I miss Jimmy Zorn and Vinny

8. parasonic says: Jun 16, 2010 3:03 PM

The sad thing is, I would much rather have TO on my team than Haynesworth.

9. AllThat says: Jun 16, 2010 3:04 PM

@marcduke says:
    June 16, 2010 2:56 PM
    I don’t think Fat Albert knows what a sit-up is…
    ———————————————
    Outstanding==
    Prolly thinks it is a push-up. One of those nasty fake ice cream things……
    AH:Yeah, I can do 100 push-ups….no problem there….

10. Cubano says: Jun 16, 2010 3:05 PM

I’d like to punch that jackass in one of his fat rolls. But I’m afraid I’ll never get my hand back, or he might eat me!

11. CleanSlaton says: Jun 16, 2010 3:07 PM

I hear that Haynesworth reportedly likes the catering trucks that serve food to the players at the mandatory minicamp & that’s the reason he’s going.

12. Newguy says: Jun 16, 2010 3:09 PM

Don’t you mean the NFC North, and I remember him riding his lawnmower, but not doing sit-ups!

13. hawk22314 says: Jun 16, 2010 3:10 PM

I may be in the minority, but I think Haynesworth is in the right. Why should he go through the rigors of a meaningless minicamp? Sure his failure to report violates his contract, but there is a remedy (the $10,000 fine). If the Skins thought minicamp was so important they should have included a harsher remedy.

14. Katmanduu says: Jun 16, 2010 3:12 PM

Where’s Danny Boy during this fiasco. He’s the one that made all these outlandish promises to Fat Albert. Then, Greg Blache poorly uses Fat Albert, then The Rat is hired as coach and switches to a 3-4 defense, even though the personnel clearly favors a 4-3. And you expect Fat albert to be happy?
    This is why the Deadskins are headed to another 6-10 disaster…..if that.

15. alewatcher says: Jun 16, 2010 3:12 PM

Of course, he’ll show up fat and out of shape.

16. Heywood Jablowme says: Jun 16, 2010 3:13 PM

Perhaps he has lethargy addiction?

17. snnyjcbs says: Jun 16, 2010 3:13 PM

Smart move that I am sure his Agent had put together. Washington has to trade him, if they take this all the way to camp they can kiss the year goodbye. The Big Guy is no Hog that you sit in one place and have tie up a couple players so the backers get all the glory. He is like a shark and needs to be in the 4-3.

18. Citizen Strange says: Jun 16, 2010 3:19 PM

Or he could act like Brandon Marshall with the Broncos (remember batting balls to the ground, etc. during practice?) which is far and away the most unprofessional conduct I have ever seen but hey it got him traded and a big new contract so what do I know? What a world.

19. Sportnman says: Jun 16, 2010 3:23 PM

He doesn’t know what a sit up is, but he sure as hell knows what a donut is!

20. Zach says: Jun 16, 2010 3:25 PM

Maybe he’s planning on face-stomping Snyder

21. RayDaMayor says: Jun 16, 2010 3:34 PM

“Pick on me all you want fools, but I’ve got $39 million in the bank. What you got? Thanks Dannyboy”
    Haynesworth

22. DanSnyderSux says: Jun 16, 2010 3:37 PM

Zach says:
    June 16, 2010 3:25 PM
    Maybe he’s planning on face-stomping Snyder
    I’d pay money to see that!

23. GOVIKES|GOVIKES says: Jun 16, 2010 3:43 PM

Mr Haynesworth, I have a Mr. Spielman for you on line one…

24. QB or not QB says: Jun 16, 2010 3:46 PM

Albert, come on back home to Tennessee. We’ve got a 4-3 for you, and a cool million in extra cap space we will lavish on you, LOL.

25. Chapnasty2 says: Jun 16, 2010 3:50 PM

I can’t blame Haynesworth for getting angry, I mean if my company hired a new boss and he decided he was going to change up my role I would just stay home too. I mean that would really show him who was boss.

26. 305phinphan says: Jun 16, 2010 3:53 PM

I hope all of his teammates jump him.

27. smilergrogan says: Jun 16, 2010 3:58 PM

its all mcnabb’s fault, once again…

28. THEMIGHTYWHITEY says: Jun 16, 2010 4:05 PM

who wants to play for the Redskins anyway ???????
    they suck…their fans suck …..their owner sucks ,,,,,

29. 420fan says: Jun 16, 2010 4:06 PM

FAT Albert is a Punk! For 21 million bucks, I would play whatever position they wanted me to.
    These Freakin players bitching about making this kind of money playing a game!

30. smiley says: Jun 16, 2010 4:13 PM

I hope Coach Shanahan makes you run laps the entire camp….he’s gonna wear your ass out!! I hope you’re at NT every snap and hopefully you’ll come into camp out of shape!! You should have kept your mouth shut you lazy, greedy, lying f***. You fu**ed with the wrong organization. Hail beatch!!

31. birdmancometh says: Jun 16, 2010 4:26 PM

@hawk22314 –
    Thats not a bad argument. I have a feeling though that the CBA has maximum fines that the teams can impose on players for missing OTA’s (i have no idea if thats true, just a guess). The insanity of OTA’s is really out of control anyway.
    I think the real problem here is that his teammates are the ones that have a problem with it. When your defensive captain/leader is trashing you and saying you can’t be trusted…it gets tougher to go back and succeed there.

32. AutumnWind999 says: Jun 16, 2010 4:37 PM

‘Skins might as well get something for him at this point before he drives his trade value any lower. Haynesworth’s definitely a huge risk but when he actually comes to play he’s the most dominant d-lineman in the league. I’d offer as high as a 3rd rounder if I’m Al Davis but not much more than that.
    Haynesworth, Seymour, Kelly, Henderson, Houston, Shaughnessy and co. would be a tough d-line.

33. djstat says: Jun 16, 2010 5:11 PM

No deserves this headache more then that Rat Dan Snyder. Karma is a bitch isn’t it?

34. Spokentruth says: Jun 16, 2010 5:13 PM

$10,000 fine to him is a joke. This is why all fines need to be based on a percentage of the players salary instead of set dollar amounts. It’s the only way fines can be somewhat fair.

35. MagicMan407 says: Jun 16, 2010 5:15 PM

1nationraidernation says:
    June 16, 2010 2:58 PM
    I think Haynesworth would look great in Silver and Black, along side Seymour, Henderson, Kelly and Houston………..Li ons, Tigers and Bears oh my!
    And that makes a lot of sense.. Send him to a team so his career can die like Campbell. One of the few teams the Redskins did whoop last year without him anyways. I would think some people would start to wise up like the Redskins front office is finally doing. People should be hating on Haynesworth not supporting him. Regardless if you hate the Redskins or not; he is trash. Likely your comment is mostly due to you being a John Madden guy video game guy too, but its time to start complaining as fans against this type of thing; it is rediculous.

36. MagicMan407 says: Jun 16, 2010 5:22 PM

Spokentruth says:
    June 16, 2010 5:13 PM
    True that man! He just recieved 30 million dollars and played in only 12 regular season games. They seemed to take his pay into consideration when him and Jacobs got in that fight when Jacobs was definately the instigator and threw the first punch. Both got fines and Haynesworths fine was lots more than Jacobs even though both were just pennies to them..

37. RedskinOne says: Jun 16, 2010 5:37 PM

This is what happens when you pay these lazy sacks of crap all their money up front; they dont have any incentive to do anything, the team is secondary to their their boat, cars and specialized fish tanks. Goodell needs to take the NFL back to the time of honest hard working ballplayers and rid the league of “me first” filth like Haynesworth who are ruining the league for fans.

38. uno-uno says: Jun 16, 2010 5:48 PM

for 30 million you better bring your rear end to camp

39. 1nationraidernation says: Jun 16, 2010 8:00 PM

@magicman407 Send him to a team so his career can die like Campbell…yep that is why so many players that got sent to oakland ended up in the hall dimwit
    Likely your comment is mostly due to you being a John Madden guy video game guy too,…..no we actually have football here , so stick to Basketball, and disneyworld, thats about all that is going on in orlando, besides hummidity.
    Bottomline I would love to have him on our d-line….i think the redskins had about 100 million reasons, and the raiders can have only about 6 million reasons….bottom line he would look great lining up between henderson, and seymour every sunday.

40. larr999777 says: Jun 16, 2010 8:17 PM

Words can’t express my disgust for this selfish, lazy worthless excuse of a so called Football player !!!

41. MagicMan407 says: Jun 16, 2010 9:14 PM

1nationraidernation- LOL you should atleast look to compare Hall Of Famers the Redskins have had before you talk some BS.

42. AutumnWind999 says: Jun 16, 2010 10:48 PM

MagicMan,
    The Redskins only won that game because JaMarcus came on in the 2nd half. In the 1st half Gradkowski threw for over 150 yards and it was a good, competitive contest. It wasn’t until JaMarcus came in and the wheels came off. If we had Campbell last year we would’ve been at least 8-8 and even with JaMarcus for most of the season we still had a better record than the ‘Skins. This year we’re vastly improved and I say 10-6 and a division title are reasonably optimistic expectations for us. Haynesworth could be a huge help to our cause.

43. NFLMMAfan says: Jun 16, 2010 10:58 PM

We can look for Fat Albert in the place he was last year.
    3-4, 4-3, none of that matters. He’ll be laying on the ground gasping for air after second down and third down.
    Dan Snyder should bring in that Jillian chick to smack Albert’s fat body into a shape other than round. I’d pay to watch those workouts. Albert crying like a little girl