SaberCats return to the AFL, too

On the same day that the Philadelphia Soul announced its return to the AFL, the team the Soul beat in the 2008 title game has announced its return, too.

The San Jose SaberCats are back.

Previously, the AFL had avoided a return to California due to the workers’ compensation system

The development gives the 15-team league a total of 17 for 2011.

And if Silva were writing this one, he’d finish by saying that the SaberCats instantly become the second-best football team in the Bay Area.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
14 Responses to “SaberCats return to the AFL, too”
  1. scomibord says: Jun 17, 2010 12:09 AM

brin back the voodoo. you cannot tell me they were losing money. led the league in attendance for two years straight, and 2 consecutive sellout arena bowls

2. OCHOtheLOCO says: Jun 17, 2010 12:22 AM

It may be close but I don’t personally think the Sabercats are better than the Niners.
    Cat Scratch Fever!!

3. Paulitik says: Jun 17, 2010 12:27 AM

No Georgia Force? Damn.

4. sricko says: Jun 17, 2010 12:31 AM

… and Silva would be wrong.

5. Mike Daly says: Jun 17, 2010 12:41 AM

The return of the Soul and Sabercats is welcome – both proved their championship mettle in their Arena Bowl showdown.
    The AFL needs at least one team in the New England area, preferably two – the Manchester Wolves (NH) were a superb team in AF2 and the MA Marauders and New England Surge (CIFL) in Worcester, MA were superb teams as well. I attended games for both and miss both – I’m still miffed at Manchester’s mid-season trade of James Pinkney to the Vipers; it took the return of Brian Jones to get the Wolves back on a wining keel. I also can’t forget the Surge, with Marc Eddy, Dallas Mall, Tyler Grogan, and Harold Shaw – they had some breathtaking wins over the Flint Phantoms and Chesapeake Tide and 2007’s bitter 49-40 loss to the Rochester Raiders still sticks in my craw.
    I want the Wolves and Surge back.

6. osnap305 says: Jun 17, 2010 1:04 AM

At least you admit how much of a dirtbag your colleague is, Florio.

7. PurpleNGold says: Jun 17, 2010 3:37 AM

Albert Lamesworth finds a new home

8. indianaviking says: Jun 17, 2010 8:24 AM

When do the LaserCats come to the AFL???

9. jdg3 says: Jun 17, 2010 8:36 AM

2nd best in the bay area? I guess the 9ers aren’t a playoff team……

10. Complete Fan says: Jun 17, 2010 9:23 AM

When are the Buffalo Destroyers and Toronto Phantoms coming back?

11. rykelly06 says: Jun 17, 2010 10:22 AM

2nd best team in the bay area?? try fifth.
    1. 49ers
    2. Cal
    3. Stanford
    4. De La Salle
    5. SaberCats
    6. San Jose State
    7. Raiders

12. edgy1957 says: Jun 17, 2010 10:55 AM

The four class organizations, Arizona, Orlando, San Jose and Tampa are together again.
    Too bad that the rest of the league has no class. FYI, I’m still banned for making fun of the league’s TV deal. I’m not going to grovel to get back in but it seems that every time that I make an inquiry, NO ONE gets back to me. Either it’s one of the moderators or it’s one of the owners but someone doesn’t want me back.

13. raiders177 says: Jun 17, 2010 11:10 AM

Sweet, I can watch a team that has a chance of winning a championship in San Jose. Lord knows the Sharks won’t do it.

14. Panty Raider says: Jun 17, 2010 5:03 PM

silva sleeps with a raiders blanket at night, which means hes an undercover raiders fan, gfy mayne