Mark Moseley: "Albert Haynesworth needs to get his ass out of town"

On the field, you won’t often see a kicker get into the face of a defensive tackle. But when talking to the media Thursday, former Redskins kicker Mark Moseley had some harsh words for Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth.

“My two cents worth: Albert Haynesworth needs to get his ass out of town and go somewhere else,” Moseley said, per the Washington Post. “And I think if the Redskins could do that, they would do that. I don’t know the background of all of it, the money parts of it, but when you have a player like that that is that disgruntled, get him out of here. He’s a cancer to these guys.”

Moseley, who played for the Redskins from 1974 to 1986 and was voted league MVP in 1982, is the Redskins’ all-time leading scorer. He said it’s time for the team to turn its attention to the players who showed up to this week’s mandatory minicamp, and not to the player who’s skipping it.

“They’re the players that deserve to play,” Moseley said, “and when you have a player like that, I don’t care how much money he makes it’s not worth having a disgruntled player in here to spread cancer among the team.”

Permalink 53 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
53 Responses to “Mark Moseley: "Albert Haynesworth needs to get his ass out of town"”
  1. PurpleNGold says: Jun 18, 2010 7:52 AM

Lamesworth

2. jwill007 says: Jun 18, 2010 7:56 AM

AMEN! All of these struggling people out here and fathaynesworthless took 21 mill and went back home to eat more chitterlings….Im not even a Redskin fan but this dude is PROSTATE CANCER in that locker room if he comes back……As Moseley said GET HIS ASS OUT OF HERE! LOL
    On another note I think the Skins are going to surprise some people……

3. promichael says: Jun 18, 2010 8:01 AM

Everyone no doubt agrees with Mosley. The real issue here is for the Washington Redskins to get a return on their investment regarding Albert Haynesworth, which will not be easy under the circumstances.

4. Tenntuxx says: Jun 18, 2010 8:05 AM

As harsh as the words may seem, Moseley’s right! Seriously, how are you going to get paid that GROSS amount of money that your not even WORTH (Another conversation!!!) and then try to go in and tell them how YOU want things to be…if you want that much control BUY YOUR OWN TEAM!!!! I don’t care WHO you are or HOW MUCH they pay you…when the boss sets the tone, you SHUT UP and HIT THAT HILL the way THEY TELL YOU TO!
    Haynesworth and a number of other players seem to have forgotten that playing in the NFL is a RARE PRIVILEGE, not a right. They are not ENTITLED to anything but the paycheck and the honor that they EARN as players! I wish I WOULD go in to work and tell my boss how we are going to do things…or worse yet, skip work because I don’t like the way the company wants it done.
    Redskins need to just cut their losses…and about 320 pounds from their roster and move on, this guy CERTAINLY isn’t worth it. Did you notice that Bud Adams didn’t even BLINK when he left Tennessee?

5. smiley says: Jun 18, 2010 8:16 AM

Not without a price. Hail!!

6. pft_b1ows says: Jun 18, 2010 8:17 AM

That is the point, he is trying to get out of town. No one really wants to play in DC. He just wanted the check cut.

7. J says: Jun 18, 2010 8:21 AM

8. J says: Jun 18, 2010 8:23 AM

@ purple and gold. We (the Vikings) could use him to replace Pat Williams. If nothing else the Vikings should sign him to keep him away from the Lions who will sign him if the Vikings don’t. Besides the Vikings play his “3″ technique.

9. Chop Block Murphy says: Jun 18, 2010 8:25 AM

Watch it there, Moseley. Haynesworth doesn’t care — he’ll hit an old man in public.

10. emoser says: Jun 18, 2010 8:30 AM

Redskins got what they deserved. This is what happens when you expect to fix your problems by throwing cash at the biggest offseason player available.

11. Cubano says: Jun 18, 2010 8:39 AM

A man with a hair as great as Mark Moseley, can say whatever he wants!

12. birdmancometh says: Jun 18, 2010 8:41 AM

OK, I consider myself very knowledgeable about the history of the game, but are you telling me a kicker won league MVP in 1982? WTF!? I’m not buying it.

13. P-Slice says: Jun 18, 2010 8:47 AM

Not worth any price. He sucks at life. He’s not worth minimum wage.

14. Mr Krinkle says: Jun 18, 2010 8:52 AM

A kicker won the MVP?

15. OranjelloJones says: Jun 18, 2010 8:56 AM

# J says: June 18, 2010 8:21 AM
    “I am sympathetic to Hayneswoth. Players MUST ALWAYS keep their end of the contracts but teams ALMOST NEVER do. He was promised to play in a 3 technique defense when he signed and then they turn around, right after signing him, and tell him he will be playing a (0) technique. If the Redskins NEVER kept their word why should Albert? Seems VERY hypocritical….”
    It’s really simple…because he’d ALREADY been payed 21 million dollars in April to play whatever the hell the Redskins ask him to. If he didn’t want to play the 3-4 and felt so betrayed then he didn’t have to take the 21 million and he could be on a plane to another city by now. Ya can’t take the 21 million bonus he got in April and then come back with any bull about being “wronged” or “misled”, you knew in April they were going to the 3-4.
    Besides, you got that promise from a different GM and Coach who both lost their jobs because they sucked donkey balls.

16. BBQ123 says: Jun 18, 2010 8:59 AM

@J…. so if I get hired by my company to do “X”…and then a year into the gig my company changes plans and tells me I now need to do “Y”….
    I can say,” wait..you guys hired me to do “X” and now you want me to do “Y”…I’m not coming into work anymore AND you still have to pay me!”
    ….only in the NFL.
    I hope this fat turd comes into camp and one of the O lineman rolls up on his knee and says…”there you go big al…now you don’t have to play the 3-4….enjoy your rehab!”

17. smo05d says: Jun 18, 2010 9:01 AM

With players and alumni openly disparaging him, there is no way Haynesworth could come back now, even if he wanted to change his mind.
    On one hand I’m glad the players spoke because it shows the gravity of the situation to them, but on the other hand, I realize that in order to get people to the table or do what you want, you have to give them some sort of face-saving and pride-saving means. I don’t think there’s anyway now Haynesworth can come back. I think if it was just players, Haynesworth might come back and play. But with the players and the alumni and the front office inundating the media, there’s no way he agrees to play for the Redskins again.

18. Branephood says: Jun 18, 2010 9:07 AM

Sounds like another drunk kicker running his mouth….Skins getting what they deserve, a POS player getting overpaid by a POS team……HAIL lmfao

19. bigern9090 says: Jun 18, 2010 9:09 AM

J, what the heck are you talking about. He is one of the highest paid, if not, THE highest paid defensive lineman in the NFL. You don’t get to dictate what type of defense you get to play in.
    What’s next…WR’s telling OC’s that they wont do slants into the middle of the field??
    I could sympathize with a player who is underpaid or being screwed over by a team but this is neither. In fact, if anything AH is OVERpaid. This issue is soo one-sided that only someone who is delusional would side with AH. AH is a p-o-s who has no idea of his great fortune in life and needs to be taught a lesson in the school of hard knocks.

20. taylor2136 says: Jun 18, 2010 9:13 AM

This contract/money was to be paid based on doing his job/earning it…so I think the Skins have a case if they should push it that he owes them a large sum of it back. This is almost like Charles Rogers and the Lions except Haynesworthless vice is food/women and getting fatter…it’s players like this that make fans disgruntled they could care less about anything because they have this notion so what cut someone else will sign and play me and until the NFL does something about these sorry sacks of manure it’s only going to get worse.

21. Supersuckers says: Jun 18, 2010 9:24 AM

LOL!!!!!!! Redskins and their building through free agency is for the birds!!! Free Agency is the WORST method of building a team!!!!!

22. Flimflam1 says: Jun 18, 2010 9:24 AM

3 technique, 0 technique, 7 technique… who cares. None of that matters.
    If you are as good as the money they gave you, if you are the best DT in the NFL, then you can do what you do no matter where you line up. He could line up as MLB and somehow find a way to make a play.
    Darnell Dockett said as much yesterday on 106.7 The Fan with LaVar and Dukes. Pay him that much money and he’ll play his ass off for you, wherever he lines up. Haynesworth is a sorry POS.

23. redskinchip says: Jun 18, 2010 9:27 AM

He won the MVP in 82 which was the strike shortened season and was basically perfect in field goals as the Skins won the Super Bowll

24. Chapnasty2 says: Jun 18, 2010 9:28 AM

I thought the problem was that he wasn’t in town

25. favrecansuckit says: Jun 18, 2010 9:30 AM

I draw the line at a kicker calling anyone out.

26. efangule says: Jun 18, 2010 9:32 AM

1) Yes, Moseley won the MVP in 1982. Only kicker to every win the MVP. He kicked a record (at that time) 21 consecutive field goals. He won over a third of their games that year with his foot.
    2) If Haynesworth had not been told “you can walk away or take the $21mil and play on the team” then i would agree with J. However, they told him that and he took the money anyway and now wants to leave. If that isn’t highway robbery I don’t know what is.

27. klungemonger says: Jun 18, 2010 9:32 AM

They need to be the first team to just forget about recovering the money and teach a player a hard lesson. The best way to exact vengeance on this turd is to put his career in a dusty closet and lock it up. Eat the salary, refuse to trade him, and refuse to play him. Sit him on the bench until the contract is finished and he’s 36yrs old and no team could even think about picking him up then.
    He could have had a HOF career if he tried, it would be fitting to relegate him to the deepest obscurity.

28. Dick Gozinia says: Jun 18, 2010 9:38 AM

OranjelloJones
    Sorry, but if he wasn’t traded or released, he had no choice but to accept the bonus.
    That said, he should offer to return a large portion of it to facilitate a trade.

29. omegalh says: Jun 18, 2010 9:49 AM

Everyone should lay off Haynesworth. Its not like he stomped on some guy’s face.

30. jcarollo says: Jun 18, 2010 9:52 AM

31. swervinmervin says: Jun 18, 2010 9:55 AM

I loved Mosely and that jew-fro of his. Classic 80′s.

32. Bearing Down says: Jun 18, 2010 9:56 AM

He is trying to do exactly what Mosley is saying. He can’t trade himself.

33. myeaglescantwin says: Jun 18, 2010 9:56 AM

Lamesworth… /// that was beautiful man..

34. efangule says: Jun 18, 2010 10:22 AM

jcarollo says:
    June 18, 2010 9:52 AM

If they were both told about these new rolls and then told, “you can quit the team or take this bonus, but if you take the bonus you will be playing this specific way” and then they went ahead and took the bonus but said “I still don’t want to play that way”.. then people would be up in arms about them as well.
    It’s because he knew about the new system and took the bonus anyway is why people think he’s a big pile of crap.

35. IRISH MAFIA says: Jun 18, 2010 10:23 AM

Cant Believe it myself had to use Google to verifiy this but yes Matt Moseley won the 982 NFL MVP.
    You would think that with all the money Danny Snyder has spent on the Redskins in the past that he would have at least bought a Hot Tub Time machine.
    That is the only way Portis, LJ Slow willie parker and McNabb actually produce anything.
    Kinda feel bad for McNabb, He finally gets some WR’s in Philly and they ship him out.
    Oh Well, Its the NFC who really cares.

36. PriorKnowledge says: Jun 18, 2010 10:24 AM

Haynesworth is despicable. Redskins should RUIN him.
    If he won’t give back the money. Keep him on the roster and the bench. No practice time and no play time. Let’s see how valuable he is after a year or two sitting on the bench.
    RUIN HIM.

37. Big M says: Jun 18, 2010 10:25 AM

J-
    Haynesworth is a nose-tackle, so he would play in a technique called a shade. He’s not a 3-technique, although he can handle that spot if he needs to.
    Bottom line… I agree with the majority here. So they want him to 2-gap instead of penetrate? Tough titty. You’re getting paid a ludicrous amount of money to play a game at a time when the American economy is the worst in its history, so suck it up.

38. tiger2471 says: Jun 18, 2010 10:27 AM

jcarollo said “It seems like there is a little double standard being applied here. What if the the falcons after signing Tony Gonzalez last year decided to use him strictly as a blocking TE, or after the Vikings signed Favre they decided to swith from the west coast offense to the wishbown or wildcat. Do you think the fans and media would be getting on those two guys if they suddenly wanted to get out of town because they were now being asked to do something they did not sign up for? I doubt it.”
    Dude for $100 million I’d clean freakin’ toilets and so would any other sane person!

39. Joe says: Jun 18, 2010 10:32 AM

only pft would care what this dude had to say…

40. PurpleNGold says: Jun 18, 2010 10:48 AM

@J – The Williams Wall will be intact this season. Lamesworth is a cancer best left to our division rivals.

41. Strat4jazz1 says: Jun 18, 2010 10:58 AM

Mosley has been running his ‘pie hole’ from the day he got to town, and he hasn’t stopped yet. In this case he has a point, Haynesworth isn’t worth any more than a $100 per game. Who doesn’t remember that out of shape walrus laying on the field out of breath, acting hurt. When will NFL owners stop playing games with these nuts, cut them and be done with it.

42. GiantsDefenseRules says: Jun 18, 2010 11:04 AM

whatdiga says:
    June 18, 2010 9:32 AM
    ….
    __________________________________
    EXACTLY!! Either Bruce Allen of Shanny asked him back in April if he wanted to be traded since they were moving to a 3-4. HE said no – they cut him his $21M bonus check, and now he wants out. (I think Schefter talked about it on Mike and Mike yesterday)
    This is where the team should be able to file a grievence against the player. I hate the ‘Skins but I hope they get every mis-spent penny back.

43. Slow Joe says: Jun 18, 2010 11:06 AM

Most Valuable Placekicker?

44. shaqter says: Jun 18, 2010 11:15 AM

Cut him and move on. If the skins can’t get any of the $21M back from Fat Albert, then they pretty much screwed themselves with that deal – his agent is silly. Getting paid to do nothing would be great; many people have more dignity and integrity to do that, but we’re talking about a guy who steps on peoples heads and fakes like he’s hurt to get a breather during games.

45. Outlaw Jersey Whales says: Jun 18, 2010 11:18 AM

IRISH MAFIA says:
    June 18, 2010 10:23 AM
    ————————————————–
    You need to check your version of Google.
    1) His name is MARK DeWayne Moseley.
    2) There was no NFL in the year 982.

46. 1nationraidernation says: Jun 18, 2010 11:48 AM

Damm right he needs to get of town. He needs to get his no good for nothing selfish fat ass on the next plane to Oakland where he can wreck havoc for the next 5 years with the Oakland Raiders.

47. Blackbeard says: Jun 18, 2010 12:26 PM

So if someone offered me a better job for millions of dollars I should turn it down? What if a year later I had a new boss and he decided to make me a janitor, but pay me the same money and most of it in a bonus in April. I sure would take the bonus money and scrub toilets, but I wouldn’t show up for optional toilet brush training, and if it were mandatory I would use my sick leave or leave without pay…

48. Rojo Johnson says: Jun 18, 2010 12:28 PM

Which ever scenario makes Snyder cry and repent is the one I am looking for here. I don’t believe he’s done enough repenting yet.

49. snnyjcbs says: Jun 18, 2010 12:40 PM

This kicker is like the guy who comes home to find Fernando is pumping his old lady and has told him she is leaving him. He tells all his buddies that will listen he told her to get out.
    No wonder this team is Drafting at the top of the Draft and cannot win a game. They have a bunch of bitches on the team. What man puts their nose into another mans business like that but a punk.
    As for taking the 21 million, the money was due and payable. Albert wants out and has told all without mud in the Ears that he will not play in the 3-4. And as you and your cry babys were telling Al Davis there are no refunds LOL.
    Wow and they thought Moss wanted out of Oakland, you could not blame him with Shell in there. Let Albert go, you are making Washington look bad with the way they are hanging on to this, remember you still have D Hall lol.

50. imissmydeadspin says: Jun 18, 2010 1:08 PM

sorry, I side with Haynesworth. The Redskins gave him that contract. tough luck, Washington. FAIL.

51. MagicMan407 says: Jun 18, 2010 1:23 PM

Too many kids here who have no sense of real life or money. I see the kids parents havent taught them morals. The money due was for playing on the Washington Redskins. It has nothing to do with what position he would play. He has not been on the field for the coaching staff to see where he would even fit in. Never once have they said he was going to even be a “nose tackle” they havent even offically said that the defense was going to be just a 3-4. They actually call it a “multiple front”. He has been down in Miami sponsoring night clubs making appearances and beating women. You Raider fans talking about Jamarcus Russell who was on your team sucking for a few years and recieved money. Albert Haynesworth played 12 games collected 12 million dollars then took 22 million dollars to be apart of the franchise then skipped OTAs and mini camp and when he found out he had to report at 630 AM for a physical he requested a trade. Unhappy or not no one in the world that we live in deserves 22 million dollars for feeling they deserve it. He signed a contract and I can promise you no where in that contract does it say that “Albert Haynesworth gets to pick the position he plays and how he wants to play it” no player should be able to tell the coach where he wants to play it is the coaches job to find the best position for that player which helps the team.

52. HC says: Jun 18, 2010 1:41 PM

I’m definitely not a fan of Haynesworth, but the Redskins have nobody to blame but themselves. They were the ones that decided to give him a contract with $41 million guaranteed, and didn’t cut him prior to paying him $21 million in April. They should have known better that there was a high possibility of something like this happening with a person of Haynesworth’s character, and structured the contract in a different manner.

53. MagicMan407 says: Jun 18, 2010 2:28 PM

People that would side with Haynesworth are already too far gone in the reality of life. They are likely kids(don’t understand real money) or people that have no idea of work ethic. Whether you hate Dan Snyder or the Redskins this is wrong in so many ways. Albert Haynesworth believes he’s entitled to that kind of money (when clearly he’s not). Haynesworth is out of shape and knows he is out of shape. He stole the money and now wants out, where are his morals?