Rod Woodson talks about coaching with the Bengals

It remains to be seen whether Rod Woodson’s entry into coaching with the Bengals proves more than temporary.  For now, he’s taking the opportunity as a chance to learn.

“While coaching is something that I’ve thought about, when
Coach [Marvin] Lewis offered me the chance to work with the Bengals, it was important to
me to take advantage of the opportunity to keep my mind in the game and up to
date on any new trends for the offenses, defenses and special teams in the
NFL,” Woodson said in comments to PFT.

It’s a not a career change to take lightly, to put it mildly.  Lewis said that Woodson initially inquired in January, after the former Steeler decided with his wife that their kids were old enough to even consider trying it out.

“Experiencing the long days in the meeting rooms and on the
practice field again has given me a refresher course on what goes into building
a team, from the 5 am wake up calls to the film sessions to the practices,” Woodson told us.  “I
also believe these experiences will help me as an NFL Network analyst and I
would recommend that all analysts take advantage of the opportunity if they get
the chance.”

Woodson returns to the NFL Network in August after spending most of training camp with the Bengals.  At that point, he will be in a better position to decide if he’d want to pursue coaching in the future.

“I know the commitment coaches do have to have,” Woodson told the Bengals website Thursday.  “So that’s something me and my wife, we’re just going to have to talk about.”

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Rod Woodson talks about coaching with the Bengals”
  1. Poo Flinging Monkey says: Jun 18, 2010 1:53 PM

The Bengals would be crazy to miss an opportunity to add Woodson to their staff, if for no other reason than to piss off the Stillers.

2. stiller43 says: Jun 18, 2010 1:54 PM

Rod! Come join the black and (yellow) gold!
    Screw the Bengals!

3. VikingFan09 says: Jun 18, 2010 1:56 PM

“I know the commitment coaches do have to have,” Woodson told the Bengals website Thursday. “So that’s something me and my wife, we’re just going to have to talk about.”
    Woodson, try and get a decent education before going to N.F.L. Network.

4. BengalsDouche2 says: Jun 18, 2010 1:57 PM

I’m sure he’s doing nothing but good for us b/c of the knowledge has from playing the game. I look past the fact that he was a Steeler and look at the fact that he is one of the best to have played the game. We appreciate your help Mr. Woodson!

5. js136202 says: Jun 18, 2010 1:58 PM

Rod,
    Was the Bengals’ weed as good as I’ve heard?

6. TheDPR says: Jun 18, 2010 2:04 PM

How do the pay and benefits compare between NFL assistant/position coaches and network analysts? Anyone here know?

7. TampaBayBucs6and10 says: Jun 18, 2010 2:11 PM

Rod Bring the Wood son is the kind of person that fans should respect. He is a HOFer, Superbowl winner. I just realized I have a Man Crush on him. Lets Snuggle Rod!

8. runtheball says: Jun 18, 2010 2:19 PM

Very impressed I doubt he needs the money considering the analyst job. It seems he is doing it for the love of the game. Class act. Still married and no baby mama drama.

9. RhinoSteel56 says: Jun 18, 2010 2:23 PM

This isnt a Steeler – Bengal thing. Its about Coaching and plus Marvin Lewis Coached on the steelers staff when Woodson was there.

10. BSPN says: Jun 18, 2010 2:25 PM

Woodson will probably get arrested soon…
    Stupid Bungholes. Get ready for another season of suckage.

11. schneidz007 says: Jun 18, 2010 2:46 PM

C’mon Board Rod!
    Feed the Need for Bengals Football!
    Bring the “Swat Team” back

12. Deb says: Jun 18, 2010 2:49 PM

@VikingFan09 …
    Woodson has been on the NFL Network for several years. Perhaps you should read the article before engaging your keyboard. He has a decent education–a degree in criminal justice from Purdue, which he completed, unlike many NFL players who leave college short of earning enough credits to graduate. Few people use perfect grammar when speaking off-the-cuff in informal interviews, but Rod is considered a top analyst because he does his homework and provides thoughtful commentary. So you’ve demonstrated that he’s considerably smarter than you are.

13. BengalsDouche2 says: Jun 18, 2010 2:58 PM

I’m waiting for the massive amounts of Bengals hate here. Still waiting…….Crickets…….Yeah people are starting to realize to not look past us this year. I don’t consider us a SB contender but we’ll be the team to beat in the North!

14. BeaverThomas says: Jun 18, 2010 3:03 PM

Marvin coached the guy! He knows him and his capabilities. I love the addition and know that that secondary will be even more physical now with Woodson on board for all but the last week of Training Camp.
    We already have *one of the elite* Cornerback tandems in the league and it will obviously get better. Schittburg should have thown him a bone, but evidently Big Ben humped that bone before it left the building.

15. Marv_Sleezy says: Jun 18, 2010 3:20 PM

So it said even his kids are old enough to start coaching too??
    “Lewis said that Woodson initially inquired in January, after the former Steeler decided with his wife that their kids were old enough to even consider trying it out. “

16. jerseykingpin says: Jun 18, 2010 4:06 PM

Strip the prison guard of his Steelers Hall of Fame then hang him by his balls all I can say is TRADER

17. kazkal says: Jun 18, 2010 4:14 PM

“””Woodson will probably get arrested soon…
    Stupid Bungholes. Get ready for another season of suckage. “””
    Awww Keep Hating because for past 3 Seasons Bengals have had barley any problems compared to other teams…1 in the last year 2 in the last 2 years keep hating son…
    PS,I hope they can Bring Rod in as a Full time Couch Marvin has alot good ties to former Steelers & Ravens.

18. jwill007 says: Jun 18, 2010 4:18 PM

“BSPN says:
    June 18, 2010 2:25 PM
    Woodson will probably get arrested soon…
    Stupid Bungholes. Get ready for another season of suckage.”
    What season of suckage???? 09′ wasnt a season of suckage….LOL you must be part of the “MY TEAM GOT SWEPT IN 09″! Crew. Well as long as we keep our key guys healthy AINT NO SUCKAGE GOIN ON IN THE NATI!
    Dont hate so much just because you have to play us you and worry about getting PHYSCIALLY BEAT DOWN!
    Nothin will be easy in 2010 coming out of Cincy…..

19. Deb says: Jun 18, 2010 4:19 PM

jerseykingpin says:
    June 18, 2010 4:06 PM
    ————————————————
    Well … huh? ?? ??? prison guard ?? Steelers Hall of Fame (You don’t go in under a specific team anymore–and Tom Donahoe screwed HIM, not the other way around). Trader?? Who did he trade?

20. PFTiswhatitis says: Jun 18, 2010 4:20 PM

“…after the former Steeler decided with his wife that their kids were old enough to even consider trying it out”
    ANother day another typo, Gregg. Please proof read, proof read, proof read!

21. BengalsDouche2 says: Jun 18, 2010 4:31 PM

jerseykingpin- wtf are you talking about? You have some of our own coaching on the squeelers. it’s a trade off. lol

22. Laxer37 says: Jun 18, 2010 4:36 PM

Marvin’s an ex-steeler coach, Woodson’s an ex-Steeler player.
    The Bengals hate the Steelers with a passion, but they sure do spend a lot of time with their noses pressed up against the glass trying to emulate them.

23. SonsCompass says: Jun 18, 2010 5:11 PM

@Laxer37
    I see you getting on EVERY bengals post spewing hate. Maybe you need to get your nose off OUR glass. Last year stung didn’t it? Oh, and you must have forgotten that Kenny Anderson and Dick Lebeau played huge roles in our superbowls back in the 80’s. Enjoy 6-10 this year!

24. TheRedBengal says: Jun 18, 2010 5:31 PM

Add Woodson with Dermontti Dawson and Marv has grabbed some excellent former steelers.
    Dawson was my fave steeler during the 90’s. Such a pro

25. steeltownpride says: Jun 18, 2010 6:42 PM

As much as i dont like the Bengals . Its a business . Mean Joe coached with the Cardinals . Woodson and Dirt with the Bengals is ok though . I mean it took the Steelers to get Ken Anderson his only Superbowl ring . It happens . I wish Woodson and Dawson the best in their coaching futures . GO STEELERS

26. steelcityrapists says: Jun 18, 2010 7:28 PM

Laxer37 says:
    June 18, 2010 4:36 PM
    Marvin’s an ex-steeler coach, Woodson’s an ex-Steeler player.
    You spend a lot of time peaking into the little boys locker room dont you pedophile?