T.O. gets sued in Alabama

Though he’s having a hard time finding a new team, receiver Terrell Owens continues to attract attention.

But not in a good way.

Per the Associated Press, an Alabama business has sued Owens and his cousin for failing to pay expenses arising from a lease termination agreement at their martini bar.

Walker Partners Ltd. allegedly entered into a lease agreement with Minnifield Owens Lounges in May 2005.  The company claims that, when the lease was terminated, Minnifield Owens Lounges agreed to pay past due rent, utility costs, and other operating expenses.

Owens and his cousin allegedly failed to do so, and so Walker Partners Ltd seeks $12,000 in damages and $3,000 in attorneys’ fees.

Given the amount in controversy and the fact that Owens currently is trying to distance himself from any suggestion that he’s not a great guy, it’s amazing that he didn’t ensure that this situation was taken care of.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
33 Responses to “T.O. gets sued in Alabama”
  1. BigBear123 says: Jun 18, 2010 10:27 PM

The fact he was running a martini bar should raise more eyebrows than the overdue bills.

2. BLeedGreeN4Life says: Jun 18, 2010 10:44 PM

hahaahaahah

3. HereThere says: Jun 18, 2010 10:55 PM

Great. Now I have to find a new place to get appletinis. Just great.

4. edgy1957 says: Jun 18, 2010 11:13 PM

5. acoode says: Jun 18, 2010 11:23 PM

bitches be crazy

6. JoeFlaccosUniBrow says: Jun 18, 2010 11:30 PM

edgy1957 says:
    June 18, 2010 11:13 PM
    I agree 100%. Why let 15 seconds of proof-reading get in the way either, right?

7. royale2k100 says: Jun 18, 2010 11:39 PM

Hello Bengals hehehe…..

8. jshawaii says: Jun 18, 2010 11:54 PM

Florio,
    I’m surprised that you, as a lawyer, would just assume that TO is guilty simply because someone else says so.
    Damn, I’m glad you don’t work for my business. I’ve been sued 12 times and 10 were dismissed and the other 2 we won…. In both the cases that actually had a ‘day in court’ not only did I win, but I was able to receive my legal fees back.
    I’ll bet all 12 of the other parties thought if they just sued me they would win, too.
    Hey TO, wanna hire my Lawyer?
    Fight it TO…
    js

9. sixburghrules says: Jun 19, 2010 12:08 AM

where’s the popcorn?

10. tinopuno says: Jun 19, 2010 12:36 AM

# edgy1957 says: June 18, 2010 11:13 PM
    —————————————————————————–
    In that context, why ‘left’ spelling get in the way of making your point.

11. Ghost Peppers says: Jun 19, 2010 12:52 AM

Bartender…roofiecaloda for the white women please!

12. muhangis says: Jun 19, 2010 1:56 AM

Somehow this comprises as news???
    Seriously this is totally away from football. There may be a fair reason he’s withholding the 12 grand, but then again who cares????
    Now I wanna take back my comment this piddling issue did not deserve, Mr. Pettifogger.

13. chris says: Jun 19, 2010 2:08 AM

T.O. come back to buffalo.

14. Kevin from Philly says: Jun 19, 2010 3:49 AM

Who the hell drinks martinis in Alabama, anyway?

15. Chop Block Murphy says: Jun 19, 2010 5:16 AM

edgy1957 says:
    June 18, 2010 11:13 PM
    “Of course, this could all be the cousin’s fault but why left facts get in the way of a rant, right?” Hate to break it to you, but your speculation that this COULD all be the cousin’s fault is not a fact. The lawsuit contends Owens and Antonio Minnifield failed to pay…now that’s a fact. Owens is a free agent and, to date, he’s been unable to find a new employer – also a fact. Given TO’s history, I think Florio makes a fair point in his last paragraph (I assume that’s the “rant” you’re referring to).

16. OscarMooseFarmer says: Jun 19, 2010 5:21 AM

Ugh…how do you let your self get in this situation? I would imagine 15 grand is not a problem for him.
    But if Ocho was late on his car payments…

17. JimmySmith says: Jun 19, 2010 6:18 AM

Its my cousin’s fault, next question?

18. TFBuckFutter says: Jun 19, 2010 7:45 AM

There is a martini bar….owned by two black men….somewhere in Alabama?

19. Patrick says: Jun 19, 2010 8:28 AM

Lions need them some T.O.(Marshawn Lynch&Flozell Adams too!)… T.O. and the Lions would help each other…The Lions could use the attention he brings on and off the field…T.O. needs an arm like Stafford’s to prove he still brings it…after all the WRs they drafted in the not so distant past, sure didn’t notice them much on 3rd and long(well any down ) last year…GoLions!

20. smilergrogan says: Jun 19, 2010 8:45 AM

the last sentence assumes t.o. isn’t as dumb as a doorknob. faulty assumption.
    same clear thinking that would lead a sophisticate like t.o. to attempt to open a martini bar in the first place. same brain that sincerely believes his next career will be as an actor. same brain that believes he made a good career move by blowing up the eagles after having already blown up the niners. same brain that thinks he is still a premier player.
    personally, i believe t.o. could have made money in the martini business, but he kept dropping them before he could get them to the customer’s table.

21. Florio-is-a-tool says: Jun 19, 2010 9:37 AM

Anyone ever see TO in public with a woman, outside of that one who gave the disastrous press conference? Like TO says, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck…
    (come on dude, if you open a martini bar in Alabama what do you think people are going to think, idiot).

22. The Hogster says: Jun 19, 2010 9:37 AM

Snooze….T.O. obviously doesn’t have a drinking problem. Emotional problems? Yes. Physical problems? Nah

23. Hap says: Jun 19, 2010 10:04 AM

Please. This is a Mickey Mouse post.

24. Meldog says: Jun 19, 2010 10:20 AM

since I highly doubt that Owens did anything other than give his cousin some money to start a martini bar….I’ll assume it was his cousins failure to deal with the problem. Owens name was probably on the contract…..but had nothing to do with the place.

25. bad asset says: Jun 19, 2010 11:15 AM

“Martini” is always the first thought that comes to mind when I think of Alabama.

26. brownsfn says: Jun 19, 2010 11:34 AM

millionaires who don’t pay their bills = scumbags

27. edgy1957 says: Jun 19, 2010 11:53 AM

1. First off, left is a word so my spell checker wouldn’t’ flag it and if any of you guys claim that it hasn’t happened to you, I say — liar.
    2. To the other genius, you might try reading instead of being so quick on the draw. Florio’s post CLEARLY stated that the guy entered into the agreement in 2005 (That’s TWO THOUSAND AND FIVE for the numerically challenged) and I would speculate that TO probably had no real idea of how good or bad things were going and he wouldn’t be the first athlete to be blind sided by something that a friend or relative did in their name. For that matter, how many of you were blind sided when a friend of yours declared bankruptcy or filed for divorce and you never saw it coming?
    From personal experience, I started a computer business several years back with two other guys but I decided to leave when I found out that one of the guys was stealing and the other wasn’t willing to prosecute him because he was his friend. As part of our agreement to sever ties, I got the name of the business, which was named after my bulletin board and they were to make it clear that I wasn’t associated with the business. I put that chapter behind me but six months later I got a call from an irate customer, who was told by the guy who was stealing that I was the one that would fix his problem because he wouldn’t. I explained to him that I was no longer part of the business and hadn’t been for a while but that I’d get his problem solved. I called the other guy up and told him that I’d take them to court over this breach of our agreement and that I’d follow up on the embezzling charges and name him as an accomplice if he didn’t make this go away and stop his friend from trying to trade on my name – problem solved.

28. jibfest says: Jun 19, 2010 12:10 PM

TFBuckFutter says:
    June 19, 2010 7:45 AM
    There is a martini bar….owned by two black men….somewhere in Alabama?
    —haha, seriously. I’m sure the place was packed to the max. I’m surprised there wasn’t anyone shot out front, “yo homey, you ain’t eat your olive son”.

29. polishkingski says: Jun 19, 2010 1:03 PM

@edgy1957….wow, what a good story!…. please tell me more about yourself?

30. SamHam says: Jun 19, 2010 1:07 PM

Martini Bar??–This confirms the fact that TO likes it in the ass..

31. polishkingski says: Jun 19, 2010 1:50 PM

@EDGY1957….WOW, that was a GREAT story! please tell us more about yourself?

32. muhangis says: Jun 19, 2010 2:55 PM

Hey Edgy, you’re actually that indolent and lazy to have to use a spell checker on a simple two sentence post. Are the words “of” and “all” and “the” that hard to spell. Wow the 21st century is making ppl fat, lazy, and stupid!
    (p.s. I didn’t have to use a spell checker to write this.)

33. Chop Block Murphy says: Jun 20, 2010 12:00 AM

edgy1957,
    “I would speculate that TO probably had no real idea of how good or bad things were going and blah blah blah…”
    Of course, this could all be TO’s fault, but why let facts get in the way of a rant (and I mean a RANT), right?