Donald Penn: If we had a new CBA I wouldn’t be in this position

Count Bucs offensive tackle Donald Penn as one of the players who wishes his union and the owners would get together and get a new Collective Bargaining Agreement done.

Penn is on the list of more than 200 players who would have been unrestricted free agents in a regular year but are restricted free agents under the rules of the uncapped year in 2010. And he calls it “kind of tough” going through an offseason in which he’s not allowed to get a taste of unrestricted free agency.

“I’m going to be patient, be calm and control what I can control,” Penn said today, per PewterReport.com. “Everything that’s going on right now is out of my control. If we had a new [collective bargaining agreement] I would never have been in this position.”

Bucs G.M. Mark Dominik has had some curious comments about Penn this week, but Penn says he’s not going to respond in kind and bash the Bucs. That doesn’t mean he’s happy with his situation, though.

“I’m not going to minicamp,” Penn said. “Mark and [head coach] Raheem [Morris] know that, we already talked about that. I’m not going. I’m a good guy. I don’t talk bad about the organization and I’m never going to start. From weeks and during the season, I want to be a Buc for the rest of my life if I can. It’s not in my hands.”

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories, Union
12 Responses to “Donald Penn: If we had a new CBA I wouldn’t be in this position”
  1. bigbolt says: Jun 19, 2010 10:40 PM

Donald Penn: “If we had a new CBA I wouldn’t be in this position.”
    ___________________________________
    Hey jackass, if my aunt had ball she would be my uncle. You can say “if” about ANYTHING. You are a mediocre NFL OLineman. These are the cards you’ve been dealt. Suck it up and get your ass in camp.

2. bmac3434 says: Jun 19, 2010 10:51 PM

Donald you should put down that huge spoon and bowl of pudding and you would not be in this position. No way would I pay this guy a top ten offensive tackle salary…..

3. Bradenton Buc says: Jun 19, 2010 11:35 PM

The Bucs have a very good line except the tackles are mediocre. According to the talking heads and “pundits” the Bucs will be choosing high in the draft next year. You should sign for what you can get as you and Trueblood will be gone and the Bucs will use the draft for some top tackles. It’s a business.

4. TiceWasBetter says: Jun 19, 2010 11:43 PM

Ohhh Boo-hoo.
    Jackass

5. BARTSBUCS says: Jun 20, 2010 12:02 AM

Penn must understand that NFL teams don’t like the CBA situation any more than the players do. Teams don’t want to sign players to big money contracts not knowing what is ahead. If Penn really means what he says when he says “I want to be a Buc for the rest of my life if I can.” Than he would sign his LARGE restricted tender contract and get out there and show the Bucs he can stay in shape all season and then once the CBA issue is resloved (hopefully). He will get the pay day he is looking for.

6. Byrd Is The Word says: Jun 20, 2010 12:05 AM

Wow people here are such haters. How about giving him props for trying to stay classy. Being restricted is part of the business, but so is a player wanting to get paid.

7. rocknrollsinger says: Jun 20, 2010 2:49 AM

TiceWasBetter: actually he’d make 3.1 million this year if he’d signed his tender. I do think the Bucs should at least offer some kind of limited extension and pay him some decent money. They need a left tackle and the only other guy they have in line is a 6′ 9″ converted basketball player with one year of backup experience.

8. aj says: Jun 20, 2010 4:46 AM

If you’re good enough and have proven yourself essential to your team’s success, RFAs can get paid despite the new rule.
    Sincerely,
    DeMeco Ryans

9. stan26 says: Jun 20, 2010 5:58 AM

200+ others want to get paid too. He can’t live on 3mil for one year? Eat less, save more.

10. HC says: Jun 20, 2010 11:43 AM

Thank you for stating the obvious, Donald Penn. Yes, that is correct; if there was a new CBA you wouldn’t be in this position.
    Unfortunately for you, Vincent Jackson, Logan Mankins, and more than 200 other NFL players, this is something that your union agreed to in the last CBA. Seems to me you’d be a lot better off playing for $3 mil (rather than $500k), play your butt off in 2010, and cash in as an unrestricted free agent next year.
    No matter how much you bitch and moan, when you wake up tomorrow you’re still going to be a RFA and not an UFA. And if you’re mad because you expected to be an UFA this year, then maybe you should be upset with your agent and your union for not letting you know, and giving you unrealistic expectations as to how much you would be paid this year.

11. Harm City Homer says: Jun 20, 2010 11:52 AM

The thing is, he and all the other RFAs who would not be if there was a new CBA, most likley will become UFAs once there is.
    So there is no reason to play this year for 5-600K, when next year you should be able to get 5-6 M per year long term with 40% up front. The math does not lie, the risk is not worth the reward for players like him, McNiel, Jackson or even CJ2k who will not be a free agent, but should not risk playing RB for 550K either.
    Until there is a CBA with some sort of salary scale or real contracts, it will always be a cash grab type of game where no one “honors” a “contract” they get whatever leverage they have gives them.

12. CTifer says: Jun 20, 2010 8:31 PM

“Now I can only sign a one yr $500,000 life just isn’t fair, how can a person ever survive on that kind of money!”
    Apparently you weren’t aware he would actually be ‘settling’ for a little over 3 million.