This Father's Day, renew your commitment to your kids

2miler.jpgIn some respects, Father’s Day is about dad getting a new tie and/or a funny card about gas and/or baldness and/or a couple of hours of peace and/or quiet.

But it’s also a day when all fathers should assess whether and to what extent they’re fulfilling their obligations to their children.

Former Bucs and Colts coach Tony Dungy has a prominent role in the All Pro Dad organization, and Dungy and the group recently were featured in a very inspirational segment on the Today show.  All Pro Dad provides via its website great advice for fathers, and my personal favorite comes from the 10 ways to be an All Pro Dad.  The list appears below; the All Pro Dad website contains a paragraph of explanation and guidance as to each one.

1.  Love Your Wife.

2.  Spend Times With Your Kids.

3.  Be a Role Model.

4.  Understand Your Children.

5.  Show Affection.

6.  Enjoy Your Children.

7.  Eat Together as a Family.

8.  Discipline with a Gentle Spirit.

9.  Pray and Worship Together.

10.  Realize You’re a Father Forever.

That last one should cause a small tear (or at a minimum repeated blinking) for every father in the crowd:  “[A] good father realizes that as he allows his children their freedom to direct their own lives, he doesn’t abandon them at a dorm room, a wedding altar, or the door of their first job.  He continues to encourage, coach and convey his wisdom to his children forever.”

So have a great Father’s Day.  And spend plenty of quality time with your children, today and always.

Yesterday, Florio Jr. and I ran a two-mile race together.  Even though I managed to convince him that it would be good training for football, he complained for most of the 19-plus minutes that we needed to cover the distance.  Still, I loved every second of it.

Especially since my toupee didn’t blow off.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill
40 Responses to “This Father's Day, renew your commitment to your kids”
  1. east96street. says: Jun 20, 2010 1:21 PM

“he complained for most of the 19-plus minutes that we needed to cover the distance.”
    Can you blame him? You probably spent the entire time telling him how the OT rules need to be fixed or it will ruin football and/or how there should never be a cold weather Super Bowl because that will ruin football. Got to feel bad for the kid when his old man keeps rolling out the same tired material.

2. gixrider says: Jun 20, 2010 1:36 PM

“Got to feel bad for the kid when his old man keeps rolling out the same tired material”
    Speaking of same tired material, this was a great post so how about saving the sarcastic, non-original, “Florio is a gass bag/sucks/tool” replies for a post that deserves them.

3. roe says: Jun 20, 2010 1:38 PM

1. Get off your soap box

4. Slow Joe says: Jun 20, 2010 1:41 PM

Thanks for posting, Mike.

5. PurpleNGold says: Jun 20, 2010 1:49 PM

It’s Fathers Day, so I called the local ouije board and they suggested a seance. I followed their recommendations to the letter, I forget which one now; holding my hands around the candle-filled table almost ignorant of the seemingly distant smell of burning hair. After several anxious moments, out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw the table move; but it was only kitty reminding me that I had yet to instruct him to properly operate a can opener. “Some teacher you are,” he said sarcastically. “Dad, is that you?” I howled at the heavens, as kitty sped to a more remote observation post. And then it hit me – I have become my father, and there’s no compliment as sincere as imitation.

6. FumbleNuts says: Jun 20, 2010 1:50 PM

Happy Father Day, Fat Albert!

7. Slow Joe says: Jun 20, 2010 2:02 PM

Happy Father’s Day, Travis Henry!

8. Bob says: Jun 20, 2010 2:06 PM

Mike – been a faithful reader of PFT for several years -probably since it’s inception. I value the site tremendously. Just wanted to say that being a Dad and Grandad you’ve hit it right on as to how Dad’s should live life as a Dad and how life should work. There’d be a lot less “stuff” going on today if we all “got it”. Keep up the excellent work and thanx.

9. cmich06 says: Jun 20, 2010 2:08 PM

When did Father’s day turn into ‘Bash… Fathers… Day’…that is all I have been hearing this weekend

10. Drafty says: Jun 20, 2010 2:08 PM

Good post, Florio.
    Ditto on the response, gixrider.

11. cheeseweasel says: Jun 20, 2010 2:15 PM

gixriders right…

12. RaiderChile says: Jun 20, 2010 2:40 PM

Pray and Worship? Screw that! Jesus is a myth, he never existed. Sounds like a muslim jewish thing. All religions are evil and created for the sole purpose of controlling people! Look it up and you’ll find I’m correct.
    We love the true god Mother Earth! Be good to our planet! The word GOD comes from the Roman Empire which used the word for their god of war! Look it up an see why we fight and for who!

13. footballrulz says: Jun 20, 2010 2:46 PM

Drafty says:
    June 20, 2010 2:08 PM
    Good post, Florio.
    Ditto on the response, gixrider.

14. spyboots says: Jun 20, 2010 2:46 PM

How about a commitment in the FIRST place to the kids – even when they are in diapers or have several medical problems – instead of taking off and shunning responsiblity when they are still babies and toddlers, as some fathers do.
    Many times those are the kids that grow up to be great dads — because they know what they missed. Kudos to fathers who are actually DADS.

15. 81Daytona says: Jun 20, 2010 2:56 PM

Very well put, Florio…
    My dad always had a problem with #8 though…”fear” seemed to be good motivator back in the day…

16. Setobakura says: Jun 20, 2010 3:29 PM

Most effective phrase used while I was growing up: “Don’t make me get your father”.

17. Marklar says: Jun 20, 2010 3:34 PM

It’s hard to take advice from this guy considering all the years he basically ignored his family for his job. We sadly know how that turned out..

18. JBx11 says: Jun 20, 2010 3:51 PM

Keep up the work Florio, and don’t mind these maggots that wish they had some sort of power over somebody.

19. Justin Kimball says: Jun 20, 2010 3:57 PM

Rule #9:
    “Families that have a healthy prayer life and take worshipping God seriously help their children to understand that there is an ultimate authority in their lives – an authority who provides moral absolutes for them to live by. Every child needs to know that there is a right and wrong, good and evil. Living under the authority of God will give them that knowledge.”
    Would have been a perfectly good list without #9. Guess I’m not a good dad because I’m an atheist?
    god(s) has nothing to do with morality. Humans learn morals from other humans. If the only way you will behave and not be a horrible horrible person is because of fear of some magical sky wizard, you’ve got issues.

20. Bob Sacamono says: Jun 20, 2010 4:18 PM

19.18, not a bad 40 time

21. Abshire22 says: Jun 20, 2010 4:18 PM

Let Tony Dungy continue to guarantee Colts superbowls and spend a little less time telling me how to raise my kids. I take it Mike Vick wasn’t in need of any advice. What a joke, I’m a huge Colts fan yet more and more I’m liking Tony Dungy less and less. He can go stand up for the Mike Vick’s of the world and make my job as a father a little more difficult because I have to explain why I was a fan of a man who would stand up for a piece of $%&# and then turn around and preach to me how to raise them. No thanks, just go away.

22. wxwax says: Jun 20, 2010 4:45 PM

Good one.

23. montanabob says: Jun 20, 2010 4:48 PM

Pray and worship? No place for hocus pocus in modern society unless… you mean worship green and gold and pray for the packers to win the supebowl then I’m on board.

24. Diomedes says: Jun 20, 2010 4:48 PM

ugh, enough of the evangelism…in place of number nine, teach your kid to think for himself

25. DonkeyRider says: Jun 20, 2010 5:37 PM

Happy Father’s Day Tiki Barber! Just ignore Dungy’s first commandment and you should do just fine.

26. Big Stretch says: Jun 20, 2010 5:42 PM

D-Bag

27. funi says: Jun 20, 2010 7:05 PM

Now you can run away from Saint fans when you said they would not make playoffs! Happy Fathers Day to all the Fathers and Happy Mothers Day to all you Mother F’ers!!!

28. THE Tool says: Jun 20, 2010 7:51 PM

I really appreciate how you stand up for the Christian ideal that this country was founded on. I think the founders took seriously the command to build your house on solid ground (Rock of Christ) for the foundation. Unfortunately, the minority of people in this country (Non-Christians) seems to have used explosives to destroy the strong foundation of our country.
    Look at how strong our country became and now as government has fallen under the influence of evil men, the Christian Morals this country was built on have been blown away and now our entire society is crumbling.
    Hopefully the athiest minority in this once proud nation are happy that their children cannot be taught the real Truth.
    What are the odds that a cosmic firecracker, that no one built or lit, went off and presto you have all the Universes?
    Small minds…
    “The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist.”
    God Bless America!
    May the Lord bless you and keep you; may the Lord cause his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; may the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and grant you peace.

29. antneejay2 says: Jun 20, 2010 8:49 PM

Mike, you were happy that you didn’t shake that dead muskrat off your head?

30. stnmmc says: Jun 20, 2010 9:44 PM

# THE Tool says: June 20, 2010 7:51 PM
    Small minds…
    God Bless America!
    ————————————–
    You mean those Christian morals that had us keep slaves, keep women from voting, have priests touch little boys, not to mention all of the countless Christian sins committed by our elected officials.
    Are you talking about the same Christianity that persecuted those who disagreed with their stance (i.e., the world is flat), that took life so easily in the Spanish Inquisition, and that attempted to wipe entire religious groups off the face of the earth. (crusades)
    No thank you, my pagan views are more humane and respectful to those around me than your false zombie god.

31. CKL says: Jun 20, 2010 9:53 PM

# Abshire22 says: June 20, 2010 4:18 PM
    __________________________________
    Great post. I think it would be hilarious to rewrite these as he would talk to Vick.
    1. Love your baby mommas (or at least try to remember all their names correctly).
    2. Spend Times With Your Kids (preferably not prison visits).
    3. Be a Role Model (you know…think of what daddy would do and do the exact opposite).
    4. Understand Your Children (and by that I mean…let someone else be a father to them because you are a worse father figure than you are a QB and that’s saying something).
    5. Show Affection(and by that I do not mean giving them big hugs and atta boys when they help you pick out rape stand for your dogs).
    6. Enjoy Your Children (Buy them ice cream cones instead of water bottles so you can use the empties to stash your weed in airports. Spend time with them outside of having them answer your phone to deter all those creditors you stiffed too!).
    7. Eat Together as a Family (if all the baby mommas can stand to be in the same room with each other).
    8. Discipline with a Gentle Spirit (again…. NO RAPE STANDS!!!).
    9. Pray and Worship Together (Don’t flinch when you hear them pray for a better father than you could ever be, Mike.).
    10. Realize You’re a Father Forever (and hope they learn nothing from you, you totally unredeemable egotistical cocky sociopath).

32. PurpleNGold says: Jun 20, 2010 11:22 PM

let’s keep this free of fairy tales

33. th says: Jun 20, 2010 11:37 PM

I wish these right wing morons would quit spreading the myth that this country was founded by Christians based on Christina ideals. Thomas Jefferson was not a Christian, look it up. In fact few were. They knew the evil of government controlled religions and wrote the constitution to protect us from Christians, so we wouldn’t be oppressed by the church like Europe.

34. bian8 says: Jun 21, 2010 12:47 AM

stnmmc:
    since your a pagan you already know that pagans kept slaves, was a patriarchal system where women were used for reproducing and nothing else, often performed pedophilia, persecuted christians jews etc., and basically did everything that you said the christians did.
    Where does it say in the Bible that it is ok to touch little boys, persecute anyone, and what the hell does “christian sins by politicians” mean?
    Christians and pagans are both humans. they make mistakes. your bringing up stuff that happened thousands of years ago when the world was a completely different place with different morals. those mistakes can be studied to prevent from happening again but that makes no basis that all christians commit those acts.
    so stfu

35. montanabob says: Jun 21, 2010 1:29 AM

‘THE Tool’ needs to do him some learning up on the history;
    the men who laid the ground work for America would goff at the fact that there are such idiots that ‘believe’ that this nations founders wanted anything other than eradication of religion.

36. 49erFanLivingInDallas says: Jun 21, 2010 2:37 AM

@THE Tool
    Did you do any homework or are you just spouting off what your pastor told you? I don’t think you have the slightest clue about what values our country was founded upon. It makes me so sad to hear christians try to inject their beliefs into everything, when it wasn’t that way. Before you say anything, I am a christian, an educated christian who believes in science and also remembered what our country was based upon. I wish the other people or my faith would grow up and not be so stupid and scared.

37. slutnuts says: Jun 21, 2010 8:26 AM

anyone who needs a list of instructions on how to be a good father should not have children.

38. CurseofBoJackson says: Jun 21, 2010 3:06 PM

Tool, to echo some others here (I feel it could benefit you, so I will, regardless of any redundance), do a little research about how our ‘founding fathers’ felt about religion, especially in how it should relate to the ‘founding principles’ of our country. I think you will find that you have to take a different approach to your fire and brimstone evangelism. If you choose not to, at least have the self respect to keep your uninformed, fantasy based rhetoric to yourself. Hey, did you know that Krishna was “born” on December 25th too? That he healed the sick, cured blindness, and was born to a ‘virgin’ and annointed son of god? Did you know that he’s not the only diety from a different religion whose story shares A TON of similarities to Jesus’? Yea, I know, whatever ya got to tell yourself to sleep at night TOOL.

39. TheWizard says: Jun 21, 2010 6:54 PM

If you all were so sure of your beliefs, you wouldn’t be arguing them with idiots on a football forum.

40. realityonetwo says: Jun 22, 2010 6:19 AM

Speaking of Father’s Day…
    June 21, 2010. MediaTakeOut.com learned that Tanard Jackson, the starting defensive back for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers has a new BABYS MOTHER – and adult film star named JEMINI.
    But this story isn’t a SAD one. We’re told that Tanarad has agreed to STEP UP and keep both Jemini and their child in his life.
    Congrats to the happy couple . . .