Saints surprisingly release Bobby McCray

Most releases at this time of year are barely worth mentioning.

Most players released in June didn’t start in the Super Bowl.

The Saints cut defensive end Bobby McCray on Monday, surprisingly ending the former Jacksonville player’s two-year run with the team.

McCray started eight of 32 games over the last two seasons, but was usually the team’s third defensive end.  He started all three playoff games last year.

The release looks odd, but could be seen as a favor to McCray; perhaps the coaching staff realized he had no chance to make the roster and let him go early.

The move speaks well for the Saints’ newly bolstered defensive line depth.  The team added Alex Brown and Jimmy Wilkerson this offseason.

The Saints also announced the release of undrafted rookie Glenn Sharpe and the released of Roy Hall from I.R. with an injury settlement.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
10 Responses to “Saints surprisingly release Bobby McCray”
  1. ozzie41 says: Jun 21, 2010 4:10 PM

They did him a favor by giving him a chance to catch on with a playoff team.

2. Citizen Strange says: Jun 21, 2010 4:11 PM

Busted flat in Baton Rouge, waiting for a train
    And I’s feeling nearly as faded as my jeans.
    Bobby thumbed a diesel down just before it rained,
    It rode us all the way to New Orleans.
    I pulled my harpoon out of my dirty red bandanna,
    I was playing soft while Bobby sang the blues.
    Windshield wipers slapping time, I was holding Bobby’s hand in mine,
    We sang every song that driver knew.
    Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose,
    Nothing don’t mean nothing honey if it ain’t free, now now.
    And feeling good was easy, Lord, when he sang the blues,
    You know feeling good was good enough for me,
    Good enough for me and my Bobby McCray.
    — “Me & Bobby McCray”

3. E.F.Cuttin says: Jun 21, 2010 4:34 PM

Bye Bye Bobby McCray, HELLO JUNIOR GALETTE!!!!!!

4. Thorpie says: Jun 21, 2010 4:35 PM

Somewhere, Brett Favre is breathing a sigh of relief. I’m sure he will now confirm his return, since he doesn’t have to worry about McCray on opening night!
    I may be a little confused, but in Mickey I trust!!
    Geaux Saints!!

5. TheSleepness says: Jun 21, 2010 5:09 PM

i can’t believe the saints won the Superbowl 10 years after the rams surprising run in 1999…crazy

6. realheavyd says: Jun 21, 2010 5:27 PM

RE: “As much as I try to have blind faith in my team and not question the brilliant mind of Mickey Loomis, I am a little confused by some of The Saints’ off season moves. I’m not doubting, since I’m not a GM like many folks on here, just scratching my head a bit, especially after this cut. I like McCray and I think he did a solid (not spectacular) job in spot duty and providing a much needed end rush. Strange.”
    It’s really quite simple Thorpie my friend. The Saints just didn’t want to pay McCray his $2 mill base salary plus the $1.25 mill he would have been owed by them as a roster bonus in 10 days on top of that for him to be a “spot duty” player at DE when they can pay a rookie like Junior Galette a lot less money to hopefully do about the same job of rushing the passer.

7. Boudin says: Jun 21, 2010 5:43 PM

Me and Bobby McCray!!!
    well done, sir.

8. brasho says: Jun 21, 2010 8:52 PM

Was it Glenn Sharpe or Brandon Sharpe? I’ve never heard of Glenn Sharpe.

9. turbodog says: Jun 21, 2010 9:39 PM

Hey Ozzie
    you’re right. We’re a super bowl team, not just a playoff team.

10. clintcooper says: Jun 24, 2010 12:36 AM

This is a disappointment. But not as big a disappointment as Ozzie’s continuing retardedness.