Michael Turner admits he got too fat last year

Michael Turner is a big running back, listed at 244 pounds on the Falcons’ roster. But Turner admits he was bigger than that a year ago.

“If you go back and look at some pictures of me from last year at this time, I probably looked big — a lot bigger than normal,” Turner told Jim Trotter of SI.com. “I was heavy, too heavy. It was hard for me to overcome.”

Trotter reports that Turner was “well past” 250 pounds in 2009, and that he struggled to pull his practice jersey on over his gut. But Turner is down to 250 now and says he’s in good enough shape that he should be able to match his stellar 2008 season, when he ran for 1,699 yards and 17 touchdowns.

“I feel great,” Turner said. “I’m out there running around and feel like I can run all day. I’m definitely out to prove that I’m not a a one-year wonder. I don’t want to be one of those guys that people say, ‘Oh, yeah. He had one good year, but what happened to him after that?’ I want to keep putting back-to-back seasons together.”

To get back to form, Turner will focus on his diet.

“I have to watch what I eat,” Turner said. “I have to cut out all the greasy foods. I didn’t do that.”

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
13 Responses to “Michael Turner admits he got too fat last year”
  1. Citizen Strange says: Jun 23, 2010 8:53 AM

Kathleen Turner had the same problem.

2. The Real Shuxion says: Jun 23, 2010 8:57 AM

Jerome Bettis was fat, worked for him.

3. AllThat says: Jun 23, 2010 9:00 AM

@Citizen Strange says:
    June 23, 2010 8:53 AM
    Kathleen Turner had the same problem.
    ==================================
    Wow, great Californication post. She almost looks like a man now. Scary!!!

4. The Real Shuxion says: Jun 23, 2010 9:04 AM

Citizen Strange says: June 23, 2010 8:53 AM
    Kathleen Turner had the same problem.
    ——————————————————
    Mort: This months issue has Kathleen Turner.
    Peter: Kathleen Turner, all right let’s take a look and..oh that’s a shame.

5. DonTerrelli says: Jun 23, 2010 9:10 AM

1. Citizen Strange says: June 23, 2010 8:53 AM
    Kathleen Turner had the same problem.
    _____________________
    LOLZ

6. TCH4ever says: Jun 23, 2010 9:23 AM

If only Donald Penn would admit the same and get his ass in camp things would be quiet in Tampa. Gotta perform to get paid. Show us you can do it this year and you just might cash out.

7. green&bold says: Jun 23, 2010 10:02 AM

I wish these guys would try to keep my fantasy football team in perspective. They have to stay healthy if I’m gonna have a chance. Don’t they know this? Sheesh.

8. Slow Joe says: Jun 23, 2010 10:26 AM

@green&bold: LOL.
    Turner cost me a fantasy championship last year as well. What are the chances of BOTH DeAngelo Williams AND Michael Turner getting hurt on the same weekend when they’re both starting for me in the fantasy playoffs? It ruined my threepeat.

9. BlondBlueDevils says: Jun 23, 2010 10:50 AM

Matty Ice better pray Turner stays in shape and can return to his 2008 form, because with Turner they made the playoffs and without him, Ryan’s weak and pathetic arm was exposed.
    Even with the acquisition of Tony Gonzalez, his numbers went down from the benefit of that 9th easiest schedule in 2008.
    Turner was the reason they made the playoffs and the CHOKE was just a game manager, who managed the game against Arizona very badly with 2 picks, 1 fumble and a CHOKE special in the opponents endzone, better know as a safety.

10. The Real Shuxion says: Jun 23, 2010 10:54 AM

# BlondBlueDevils says: June 23, 2010 10:50 AM
    ——————————————————
    Can someone explain to me why Al Sharpton is commenting on this site?

11. JoeSchmoe says: Jun 23, 2010 11:01 AM

Gee thanks fat boy! In the same instance I wasted a high draft pick on you, you were probably at Fatburger.

12. BasicInstinct says: Jun 23, 2010 11:36 AM

Michael Turner also had a broken right thumb and showed his weakness by running with two hands on the ball all last season, in order to avoid fumbling like he did in the Arizona playoff game. Arizona keyed on it the whole game and it paid off. A helmet to the broken thumb works every time!
    Also, if Tony Gonzalez had just agreed to a trade to the Falcons in Novemeber 2008, anything could have happened with the Falcons. He realized he would have been a huge difference maker in the Arizona game, so he agreed to join the Falcons in 2009.
    He who hesitates is lost.
    And Matt Ryan is a wimp… he will get injured early in 2010.

13. Hovenaut says: Jun 23, 2010 2:02 PM

No runs up the gut this year pal.