Ed Reed says he's at 35 percent after playing with torn labrum

NFL_reed1.jpgUsually when a guy gets “reconstructive” knee surgery on a joint below his waist, it involves his knee.  Ravens safety Ed Reed had it on his hip.

Reed, who considered retiring after the 2009 season, instead opted for surgery and rehab to fix a torn labrum and related damage.  Today, he joined Gary Williams and Glenn Younes of Sirius Mad Dog Radio to talk about the procedure.

“It’s still a long slow process, you know, and I try to do some strengthening stuff to strengthen it right now and I know it’s just weak but I mean, yeah, I had to have reconstructive surgery,” Reed said.  “They had to go in and reconstruct my whole hip.  They took about [six or seven] inches from my IT band, replaced my labrum that I tore.  They went in in two spots, so I mean it’s a slow process.  Plus I have other injuries that, you know, really probably had an effect on causing this that I have to pay attention to also.   So I’m just taking my time.

“I want to come back.  I want to be ready for the first game but I don’t know how soon that would happen, how soon I would be back.  You know, we’re gonna continue to do the things to try and get back and at least play this year for the fans, man, cause they’ve been hounding me, man.  They’ve been asking me, ‘Are you gonna play?   Are you coming back?   I would love to see you play at least one more year.’  So hopefully we got at least one more in us.”

So will there be a full “one more” or only part of a “one more”?

“Well, it’s a four to six month process to getting yourself back to 100 percent, to get yourself in shape to start working out for a season,” Reed said.  “It’s a year-long process of getting back to 100 percent. I don’t want to come back too early, man, and injure myself again.”

It also sounds as if some friction may have arisen between player and team regarding the handling of the hip injury, especially since the surgery didn’t happen until April.

“You know, there’s some business stuff out there, you know, dealing with the team and dealing with the organization for a long time and, you know, taking care of things the way I’ve taken care of things for my surgery and, you know, seeing doctors without really their consent or talking to them much,” Reed said.  “I told them about the surgery and made sure I made them aware.  But just dealing with those organizational business things, you know, some of those things have to be taken care of also.  So my percentage, I honestly couldn’t tell you right now.  My doctors were excited with my progress.  I’m on my off week right now.   They didn’t have me working out this week so it’s been great but, you know, I don’t know, man.  I could be at least a good 35 percent right now, man.  But I’m walking so that’s a huge thing.   I’m walking and messing with my kids this week.   You know, I even had to do a little running but nothing major where I had any pain.”

If there’s friction, it possibly comes in part from the fact that Reed finished the year by playing with a bad hip — and by making the situation worse.

“I mean, I played the last couple of games with a torn labrum and just messed my hip up worse, you know, going back out there and doing things the way I was able to do things,” Reed said.  “It was at a high level but, you know, [I] don’t want to go back and play in pain, man, and don’t want it to be weak at all.  So that’s gonna play a big part in what I’m doing.”

It sounds like Reed has a long way to go before he’ll be ready to practice and play.  Whether that happens before Week 1 of the 2010 season, when the Ravens face the Jets in the new Meadowlands Stadium, remains to be seen.

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
46 Responses to “Ed Reed says he's at 35 percent after playing with torn labrum”
  1. Stillerz says: Jun 25, 2010 2:52 PM

Old and falling apart…

2. cf says: Jun 25, 2010 2:53 PM

you know?

3. Slow Joe says: Jun 25, 2010 2:53 PM

Usually when a guy gets “reconstructive” knee surgery on a joint below his waist, it involves his knee. Ravens safety Ed Reed had it on his hip.
    So he had knee surgery on his hip? That must be one hell of a procedure.

4. Nate is Gay for Brady says: Jun 25, 2010 2:54 PM

Ozzie Newsome is cutting him and his salary right now as we speak.

5. PFFFFT says: Jun 25, 2010 2:56 PM

One of the best safeties ever.

6. football genius says: Jun 25, 2010 2:57 PM

now ya know why they signed Walt Harris

7. imissmydeadspin says: Jun 25, 2010 3:02 PM

so favre is going to…?

8. Orakpwnd says: Jun 25, 2010 3:11 PM

I’d take Ed Reed at less than full strength over most safties playing completely healthy.

9. Ravenmaniac says: Jun 25, 2010 3:20 PM

Stillerz…he is still the best safety to ever play the game!!!

10. Danwhitmer says: Jun 25, 2010 3:20 PM

@stillerz : He is not that old, 31 is not that bad. He has been playing with a neck injury that could paralize him so I give him the benefit of the doubt. Oh and atleast he got out there and played when he was hurt…. unlike that girly man you have playing safety ;)

11. funi says: Jun 25, 2010 3:20 PM

Ed Reed already making excuses for their failure season that is upcoming!!

12. steeltownpride says: Jun 25, 2010 3:20 PM

Ed Reed is a class act . Much respect to him and for his game . Get well slow my friend . Hopefully after week 4 :) …..

13. Danwhitmer says: Jun 25, 2010 3:22 PM

Oh, BTW Mike good article, I notice none of the bashers are on here when you come out with a good article ( i like most of your work, some of it is pointless but hey thats jounalism and keeping things active ) Once again good article!

14. Harm City Homer says: Jun 25, 2010 3:37 PM

He is the best FS of all time. When he is healthy he is a game changer DMVP of the NFL type dominant.

15. frox says: Jun 25, 2010 3:47 PM

Stillerz – compare how many games he has missed to the number of games the hairy pineapple has missed. That guy can’t wash his hair without injuring himself.

16. SamWycheForPrez says: Jun 25, 2010 4:00 PM

Ed Reed is a man among men. But if he is out more than a few games, the Ray Lewis will have to move over to make room for the Bengals as the top defense in the AFC North.

17. The Nasti says: Jun 25, 2010 4:15 PM

Done, see ya, great career.

18. 7370355q says: Jun 25, 2010 4:16 PM

@SamWycheForPrez
    man among men???

19. Justin says: Jun 25, 2010 4:18 PM

I’m not a Ravens fan but I’ve loved watching Ed Reed playing over the years. Tough break for the guy. He’s one of the all time greats and while it seems foolish in hindsight to play injured, the fans will always love him for his effort out on the field. Even if it takes him a season to come back, he will still be welcome on most teams and be celebrated by the fans but only in proportion to what his contract stipulates.

20. 7370355q says: Jun 25, 2010 4:27 PM

@The Nasti
    He says he wants to come back and probably will. I’ll take his word over yours.

21. Deb says: Jun 25, 2010 4:43 PM

Saw the headline and my heart stopped. If you love the game, you have to love watching a player with Reed’s athletic talent and mental intensity. Guys like that don’t come along every day. Learning he’s so far from full recovery, I wish he’d gone on IR and had surgery last season. Teams are nuts to give men of his caliber a hard time about protecting their bodies. Players like Reed are irreplaceable, and when he retires, the Steelers fan will be very sad to see him go.

22. Deb says: Jun 25, 2010 4:47 PM

Saw the headline and my heart stopped. If you love the game, you have to love watching a player with Reed’s athletic talent and mental intensity. Guys like that don’t come along every day. Learning he’s so far from full recovery, I wish he’d gone on IR and had surgery last season. Teams are nuts to give men of his caliber a hard time about protecting their bodies. Players like Reed are irreplaceable, and when he retires, this Steelers fan will be very sad to see him go.

23. Kevin from Philly says: Jun 25, 2010 4:50 PM

Maybe during his rehab, he can do a little work on not saying “you know” every two seconds.

24. MSWRavens says: Jun 25, 2010 5:00 PM

…and if you ever have the pleasure to meet him, you’ll find Ed to be one of the nicest, humblest, down-to-earth professional athletes you could ever hope to meet.
    Don’t know why everyone is writing off his career. He says he’ll be back. It’s a slow process. He’ll start the season on PUP. We’ll see what happens from there…but we’ve got a lot of talent likely side-lined to start the year: Reed, Washington, Webb. We better have a healthy camp & hope Foxworth, Hamlin & Harris hold down the fort while these guys recover for the 2nd half push! Mattison better get that youth injection in the front 7 to make the secondary look good. That’s how it’s suppsoed to work anyway. Steelers fans know how a strong front 7 can cover for some weakness in the secondary!
    Can’t wait to get this season on!!! …but first, for the other football season…USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!
    BEAT GHANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. RJK says: Jun 25, 2010 5:00 PM

hang em up ed. been great watching you play.

26. Dave says: Jun 25, 2010 5:04 PM

That doctor must have been amazing, to have performed knee surgery on a guy’s hip. I wonder if he does tonsillectomies on your appendix?

27. Ray Ray is soft says: Jun 25, 2010 5:06 PM

I’m from Baltimore and I hate the Ravens.But I admire Ed Reed as the second best safety in the league.How the Ravens staff let him play while hurt States how desperate the Ratbirds have become.If they had a losing season,Reed would have no doubt been put on IR.@ harm city homer….your comment reeks bias.Reed can hit a defenseless reciever but can’t tackle worth sh*t.

28. Mumakata says: Jun 25, 2010 5:09 PM

Reed has got to feel good knowing that the doctor is the only one in the room with the knife. Something he cannot be sure of in the locker room, with Stabby Mcstabberson Lewis hanging out.
    Stabbing people.

29. 7370355q says: Jun 25, 2010 5:39 PM

@MSWRavens
    Washington and Webb are scheduled to be back week 1
    @Mumakata
    classy

30. ppdoc13 says: Jun 25, 2010 5:39 PM

@rayrayissoft – do us a favor and either leave Bmore or stop claiming you are from Bmore. WE DON’T WANT YOU. We have no claim over you. The divorce is final. Good, now that we have that out of the way.
    @Deb – thanks for having class.
    @Steeltown pride – same thing.
    @Stillerz – no surprise. no class
    Now you know why Ozzie signed Hamlin. He is insurance for Reed. Walt Harris is a CB not a safety.
    Don’t give up on Ed Reed yet. They guy loves to play the game more than anything else. Would not surprise me if he did play this year. But if not, I salute you Ed. Best safety I have had the privilege of watching. He knew what the QB was doing before the QB knew. And once the man got the ball in his hands he was a threat to score from anywhere on the field. I’ll take him over Troy P, because I am biased, but in the AFCN we are lucky to have 2 of the best ever.

31. Burning River says: Jun 25, 2010 5:47 PM

As Ed goes… so go the Ratbirds.
    Enjoy your basketball team, though, Baltimorons.
    Oh, wait…

32. 7370355q says: Jun 25, 2010 5:51 PM

@Burning River
    That is definitely not true. A safety never makes or breaks a team.

33. fellasheowed says: Jun 25, 2010 6:01 PM

oh no a charmin city dingleberry is giving out grades of “class”, while grasp hold of your pearls, but ed reed is only one of the top few at his position, and at that,a position he plays as a mere freelancer. he isn’t in the “best ever” category. any ravens player wins an award and suddenly they are the “best ever” at what ever that was. never mind that was half a career ago for reed. never mind that he does nothing, absolutely nothing in over half the games he plays in. sure he can make a spectacular play, if he doesn’t fumble, or lateral, when a team is in desperation mode, and if you bet the ravens and tease the line, that tack on, can be comforting, but in the flow of a competitive game, its meaningless. much like most of charmin chity’s hyperbole for ed reed. lets face it the guy is made 70% of ed reed is covered by water, the other 30% is made of pus er vuvuzela.

34. 60minuteassassin says: Jun 25, 2010 6:14 PM

Stillerz says:
    June 25, 2010 2:52 PM
    Old and falling apart…
    ————————
    This is a callous response about a player who has given his all for his team and the League.

35. ItalianArmyGuy says: Jun 25, 2010 6:24 PM

Ravenmaniac says: June 25, 2010 3:20 PM
    Stillerz…he is still the best safety to ever play the game!!!
    ================
    It’s nice that you love your guy. Now, watch Mike Wagner, Donnie Shell, Rod Woodson (even as a cornerback he played center field and blitzed like a safety), and Troy Polamalu play for around 30 years, and then get back to me
    I mean – Reed is awesome – but who do you have to compare him to? Chris Hope from the Titans? An older, slower Rod Woodson? Will Demps? Dawan Landry? As a Steelers fan, I’ve been treated to Hall of Fame safety (and Woodson) play for all or part of four decades. Reed the best ever? I don’t think the film or the stats would back you up, pal

36. DirtDawg55 says: Jun 25, 2010 6:26 PM

Is he going to be available at the start of the season? Ah, do the math. Ed Reed himself says it will take 4 to 6 months to be 100% to prepare for the season and 12 months to be 100% period. Folks, sorry to say, but it is possible he won’t be ready for the start of the season and even if he is, he could be fighting this the entire season.
    Not a Ravens fan at all, but a big Ed Reed fan. I wish him the best. As for the Ratbirds and their fans, I wish nothing for them but pestilence, disaster, horror and the occasional bout of diarrhoea. Okay, actually I wish for them to have constant diarrhoea.

37. 60minuteassassin says: Jun 25, 2010 6:28 PM

Ray Ray is soft says:
    June 25, 2010 5:06 PM
    ———————————-
    Is Ratbirds the best you could come up with? Really?
    While I agree that Troy is the better safety right now, I disagree with the notion that the team was forcing him out there.

38. Ray Ray is soft says: Jun 25, 2010 6:33 PM

@ppdoc13….Why don’t you meet me on Pratt and Light street so you can help me pack? I hate the Ravens that much so I can state what I want about these thugs of a football team.I can’t wait till the Ravens hit rock bottom so these so called fans can go back to worrying about that Mayflower truck that left in the middle of the night.

39. ppdoc13 says: Jun 25, 2010 6:43 PM

@fellasheowed – you may want to empty the cotton candy in your brainpan before you write on a blog. it makes it hard for anyone with an IQ over 70 to understand what you are saying.
    you ask the majority of qb’s in the league who is the best safety in the league and they will say Ed Reed. He has not played as well as in the last few years that is for sure but then neither has Troy P. But you can not take away what he has done. He is in the top 5 in NFL history in ints by a safety and is number one in those returned for a score. He still reads QB’s better than anyone in the league. His body has started to fail him yes, but he makes up in intelligence (something you would not understand) for what he has lost in physical prowess.
    so do us all a favor fellasheowed and crawl back under the rock that you came from. it’s cool and moist in the pit that is your world and your friends the frogs and the snakes miss your company.

40. Deb says: Jun 25, 2010 7:26 PM

7370355q says:
    @Burning River
    That is definitely not true. A safety never makes or breaks a team.
    ————————————————-
    Amen!!!
    Reed’s diminished play last season compared to 08 hurt Baltimore and is ONE reason the Ravens weren’t as dominating as they were in 09. Losing Polamalu left a significant hole in our otherwise weak secondary and forced LeBeau to be less aggressive on the pass rush. But I’m sick of hearing Polamalu’s injury is the sole reason the Steelers missed the playoffs. Nooo … because “a safety never makes or breaks a team.” Professional football is a wee bit more complicated than that.
    Well said.

41. fellasheowed says: Jun 25, 2010 8:05 PM

ppdouche
    um, no
    ask any qb in the league, who isn’t being polite, they will say reed is a no discipline freelancer who can’t tackle and can be thrown away from.
    when a qb throws near him, either by mistake or on pressure, usually in a desperation situation, he can catch the ball. but most games he disappears.
    as far as polamalu, the steelers 2008 defense was better than any reed ever played on, and polamalu was a huge reason.
    reed no rings made of puss, polamalu, can do exactly what reed does, and better, and that is just the beginning of what he does. 2 rings.

42. Ray Ray is soft says: Jun 25, 2010 8:40 PM

Similar to Troy in Pittsburgh,the defense wasn’t the same without him.Ed Reed has replaced Ray Lewis has the team defensive leader.You have to gameplan for this guy.It’s a shame it’s possible that they could lose both of there cornerstones in the next few years.I doubt Suggs would step up or Nagata.Soon the Rats will no longer be known for there so called vaulted defense and instead be more of an offensive team.Without Reed I’m predicting a 2-2 start.

43. 7370355q says: Jun 25, 2010 9:07 PM

@Ray Ray is soft
    The defensive secondary and the defense as a whole played better without reed.

44. Ray Ray is soft says: Jun 25, 2010 9:24 PM

Played better without Reed? I seriously doubt that can happen.With the fastest(not smartest)corners in the league,the Ravens would have been eaten alive.Reed is a playmaker that’s doesn’t take credit for a tackle or sack ala Ray Lewis.The team should have shut him down while the damage was minor…then wait till April to have surgery?I wish him the best.

45. reedmynutz says: Jun 26, 2010 2:14 AM

Career Stats
    Reed 118 Games 5.0 Sacks 46 Ints 1255 Yds off Ints 9 ForcedFumb 9 Fumb Rec 9 122FRYds 2 384 Tackles 80 Pts Total Reg Season + 6 Pts Total Playoffs
    Polomalu 93 Games 7.0 Sacks 20 Ints 227 Yds off Ints 7 ForcedFumb 3 Fumb Rec. 91FRYds 345 Tackles 12 Pts Total Reg Season + 6 Pts Total Playoffs
    Reed also had a total of 9 fumbles himself while possessing the ball, and scored on punt blocks, punt returns, and field goal returns.
    Who would you rather have?

46. ppdoc13 says: Jun 26, 2010 10:44 PM

@reedmynutz – thank you for showing idiots like ray ray is soft and miscreants like fellasheowed the stats. let me repeat them.
    Career Stats
    say anything you want boys. it’s all talk. the stats are what they are. just like troy has 2 rings and reed has none. it is a stat that can not be argued.
    for ray ray is soft – how about you meet me in section 526 during the Ravens Steelers game. We can drink a beer together and I can show you how we “appreciate” fans of other teams in our section.
    at least people from pittsburg have the cojones to cheer for their home team. you are a miscreant who doesn’t know where your loyalties lay.