Lions' minicamp ends with a brawl

A month ago, a fight broke out at the Lions’ organized team activities, and coach Jim Schwartz joked about it, saying, “I think they all know in OTAs that I can’t fine anybody. So they didn’t miss their opportunity to get a free one in.”

But today a fight broke out at the Lions’ mandatory minicamp — not an OTA — and Schwartz says fines will be forthcoming.

“That is not acceptable what happened,” Schwartz said afterward, per the Detroit News. “We weren’t able to finish a period. It’s going to get hot and you’re going to get to the end of practice and you are going to have things that come up, but when you can’t finish practice and when you have guys entering fights that aren’t involved in it, it’s unacceptable and they are going to get taxed pretty heavy.”

The Lions are done with OTAs, and today was the final day of minicamp, so the Lions won’t be together as a team again until training camp. Schwartz doesn’t like the way things ended, with what has been described as an all-out brawl between the offense and the defense.

“That was too intense,” Schwartz said. “We had that situation come up before on OTAs and we sort of laughed that we can’t fine the players, but guess what, there are going to be a lot of fines from today.”

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
36 Responses to “Lions' minicamp ends with a brawl”
  1. MagicMan407 says: Jun 25, 2010 12:59 PM

Suh started it!

2. Bob Nelson says: Jun 25, 2010 1:00 PM

Where is the term “catfight” in the story?

3. SmyDChargers says: Jun 25, 2010 1:01 PM

I don’t care Suh started it.

4. jibfest says: Jun 25, 2010 1:07 PM

This is the most fight they will show all season.

5. Flaccodelic says: Jun 25, 2010 1:10 PM

Further proof that the Lions are fantastic at beating themselves.

6. AlanSaysYo says: Jun 25, 2010 1:13 PM

Brawl or thoroughly polite dustup?

7. 81megatron81 says: Jun 25, 2010 1:19 PM

intensity starts now….GO LIONS!!!

8. jetsfan101 says: Jun 25, 2010 1:19 PM

Oh man. Just when I thought the Lions may have had the slightest chance in coming in third in their division, they prove that beyond a shadow of a doubt they cannot do anything right and if you try to coach the lions, your just putting yourself in a situation where the only winners are your opponents.

9. Mean and Nasty says: Jun 25, 2010 1:22 PM

@ jibfest
    You’ll be eating those ignorant words once you see the “fight” these Kittens bring to the NFC North!! Theyre on the war path this year, and the 1st casualty will be that turd sandwich Aaron Rodgers

10. forthelove says: Jun 25, 2010 1:26 PM

“Lions won’t be together as a team again until training camp.”
    Great line, clearly they aren’t “together as a team” even at this minicamp.

11. realitypolice says: Jun 25, 2010 1:28 PM

The fight escalated because everyone was desperately trying be seen doing something so awful that the team would have no choice but to cut (free) them.

12. mob_barley says: Jun 25, 2010 1:32 PM

Aaron Rodgers is the best quarterback in the league. (fantasy football league- that is) lol

13. CanadianVikingFan says: Jun 25, 2010 1:38 PM

This is probably a good sign. Maybe they can channel it into a few more wins this season, rivals or not, I don’t mind the Lions, and its kind of sad to see them constantly on the downside.

14. rcunningham says: Jun 25, 2010 1:46 PM

“# Bob Nelson says: June 25, 2010 1:00 PM
    Where is the term “catfight” in the story?”
    HELLO MY NAME IS BOB NELSON AND I CALL THE NFC CHAMPIONSHIP TROPHY THE GEORGE HALAS TROPHY TO SOUND SMART HURF DURF

15. megatron81 says: Jun 25, 2010 1:52 PM

@ 81megatron81
    You’re a beast…..so is “mean and nasty”
    @jetsfan101
    As for you, you’re a complete worthless idiot. “We can’t do anything right”…..How about taking Matthew Stafford and leaving Mark “prettyboy” Sanchez for you piles of scum. We’ll see you and your fattest man alive freakshow head coach come Nov. 7th in D-Town……And its gonna be feeding time for the Lions!!!

16. simple_simon1 says: Jun 25, 2010 2:13 PM

After cheering for the Lions for 23 long years (cue the jokes…LOL), I am beyond happy to hear about fights in OTA’s and Mini camps. It’s about time we see some emotion and heart out of the Lions. I know, I want the team to gel as much as the next person, but if nobody gets hurt, and only fines get handed out, I’m all for the emotion. And I guarantee that the coaching staff secretly loves the emotion as well.

17. simple_simon1 says: Jun 25, 2010 2:15 PM

Megatron81:

18. Outfoxed says: Jun 25, 2010 2:19 PM

Yea, and at the start of the season they’ll be too tired to play football from all the infighting.

19. Montsta says: Jun 25, 2010 2:26 PM

Thank God the hack “journalist” and useless lawyer Florio didn’t write this article, or we would have seen at least four Steve Smith bashing references.

20. Wazzu says: Jun 25, 2010 2:27 PM

When I hear about the Lions brawling, I envision slapfighting, hairpulling and scratching at each others eyes with lots of crying afterwards.

21. BuckyBadger says: Jun 25, 2010 2:27 PM

I wouldn’t say taking Stafford has proven to be right thing. The book is still out on him.

22. hanmik says: Jun 25, 2010 2:28 PM

As a lifetime Lion’s fan, I love hearing this. I understand as the coach he has to say and do things the “right” way, but maybe we are starting to see a real attitude change in Detroit.
    I don’t expect us to win many games this year, but I want us to be competitive from start to finish!

23. megatron81 says: Jun 25, 2010 2:30 PM

@ Simple_Simon1
    We’ll have plenty of wins under our belt by the time Nov. 7th rolls around. Also, beating the Jets on our homefield should be a given…..They’re mediocre at best. They couldn’t even beat the Dolphins last year, and as we all know they shouldn’t have been in the playoffs either. I actually truly believe they are one of the easiest teams on our schedule this season. I’m more worried about the Bills than the Jets. Honestly, look at their QB, he’s a laughingstock!!!!!

24. Dewey Axewoond says: Jun 25, 2010 2:39 PM

I heard the whole thing started because someone said something nice about Matt Millen.

25. Hap says: Jun 25, 2010 3:08 PM

Suh-weeee-t.

26. ncoolong says: Jun 25, 2010 3:09 PM

“….I know you’re just trying to have pride in the Lions, as I do as well, but I think we should at least get a couple wins under our belts before we start calling out the NY Jets. I hope we win but that’s a bit premature”
    LOL Yeah, the Jets…the powerhouse of the NFL over the last two decades.
    Detroit hasn’t won anything, true, but the Jets haven’t either. Call ‘em out all you want.

27. odds75to1 says: Jun 25, 2010 4:11 PM

I know that the day ended with a FG kicking competition and Suh kicked the winner….guy can do it all :)

28. colenutt3 says: Jun 25, 2010 4:12 PM

F*** all you hater’s who shit talk the lions. IT’s showing intensity. Fights broke out on my football team but it pushed guys to step up and get better or get out of the way of the guy who’s fighting you. Go Lions

29. megatron81 says: Jun 25, 2010 4:15 PM

@Outfoxed
    Nice comment little buddy…..You have strong writing skills and even better critical thinking ability. I’m sure you’re also good at playing with G.I. Joes and Legos.

30. 81megatron81 says: Jun 25, 2010 4:24 PM

I love my Lions fans!!!!

31. muchmaligned says: Jun 25, 2010 5:08 PM

Why can’t we call out the Jets? They are damn near as bad as the Lions and their management is decidedly worse. Add to that a fat, loud douche of a coach and the fact that nothing good ever came out of New Jersey, and I’d say they’re one of the few teams any other team can legitimately call out.

32. Detfan10 says: Jun 25, 2010 5:12 PM

These are some good fans. I normally spend most of my time on Lionstalk.com but you guys have just as much passion about this.
    Here is how I feel, if the offense and defense are going at it, it’s because one is getting dominated by the other. I can see one side getting beat up pretty good and the other running there mouth. Now, everyone is still getting in shape, guys are tired and im sure it doesn’t take much to get a little pissed.
    Question is, who is getting dominated? I would guess the offense if making the secondary look bad.

33. robrown says: Jun 25, 2010 5:50 PM

Those people commenting on this website who think football practice fights are a sign of a problem with the team should reconsider their position. Hard contact sports like football are played by people who enjoy, hard contact, and yes that may even mean getting into fights from time to time. Mix in competition for jobs and a little fatigue and fighting during practice becomes a common thing. The only reason the Lions coach was upset is because he is afraid the team will be sanctioned again by the league and he doesn’t want to lose the practice time.

34. jibfest says: Jun 25, 2010 6:02 PM

Mean and Nasty says:
    June 25, 2010 1:22 PM
    @ jibfest
    —Yeah thats great and all but wake up. They are still the worst team in their own division. I’m an Eagles fan, we will see their “fight” in week 2. Another top five pick in the draft is on the horizon.

35. FumbleNuts says: Jun 25, 2010 11:20 PM

Not a Lions fans, however this team sure sounds like it has some spit and fire in them this year.

36. jthom19802 says: Jun 26, 2010 2:19 AM

I see no reason we can’t call out the Jets. We might not win, but that game is going to be Calvin Johnson’s coming out party for the year.
    Rex Ryan is just cocky enough to put Revis out there with him one on one, and that plan is going to fail miserably. Revis is one of the best in the game, but NOBODY can shut down Megatron by himself, not even if he’s stuck on Revis Island.
    Don’t believe me? Calvin saw man coverage for exactly ONE HALF of football last year; away at the Bears. That worked out well for Chicago. Something like six catches for 130 yards and a TD he was robbed of. They weren’t so brave in the second half.
    Fortunately for us, now teams have to focus on several other weapons on the O. So go ahead, single up CJ and he will destroy you. Double or Triple him and the other guys will make you pay for it.
    Not to mention the new D-Line. SEE YOU SUH-N MARK SANCHEZ.