Maualuga demonstrates commitment to positive change

We noted in today’s one-liners that Bengals linebacker Rey Maualuga says he stopped drinking. It’s also worth noting that when Maualuga orders a beverage now, he emulates teammate Chad Ochocinco.

“Nothing. No alcoholic beverages,” Maualuga told Bengals.com. “I go out. But not as much. Sometimes I go to dinner with my family or hang out with the guys. I’ve been in situations. I have cranberry and Red Bull. Ochocinco’s drink.”

Maualuga was arrested for DUI in January, and in February he pleaded guilty and entered an alcohol treatment facility.
Now he says he’s committed to working with young people, as he did this week at an NFL-sponsored event for at-risk children in Eureka, California.

“To be able to come back, to get my image back to what they thought of me being this not a superhero, but this guy everybody can watch,” Maualuga said. “I think when I got in trouble, it was like, ‘This kid thinks he had it made and now everything is going down the drain.’ When I took up this event, I said, ‘OK, this is my opportunity.’ “

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
24 Responses to “Maualuga demonstrates commitment to positive change”
  1. Beezer says: Jun 26, 2010 4:23 PM

It’s nice to see a football player who learned from his mistakes. It’s very rare these days.

2. PriorKnowledge says: Jun 26, 2010 4:23 PM

Good for him. Some learn, some don’t. We all know the “don’ts”

3. ☻☼CBS, FOX, ESPN, NFLN nbc says: Jun 26, 2010 4:31 PM

It’s only a matter of time before this guy Leonard Little’s someone.
    He’ll be drinking by week 8, once he realizes his season is over.

4. 90ragtop says: Jun 26, 2010 4:33 PM

I’m no Bengals fan, but I just became a fan of Rey Maualuga. Dude, thank you for restoring my confidence that at least SOME players have the sense to recognize that they have a problem with alcohol and act responsibly. I hope you have a long and happy NFL career (and an even longer and better life post-NFL).

5. kazkal says: Jun 26, 2010 4:41 PM

Gonna be one of the big steals of that years draft.

6. DarthPirate says: Jun 26, 2010 5:09 PM

Sounds good, I hope he keeps it up!

7. ☻☼CBS, FOX, ESPN, NFLN nbc says: Jun 26, 2010 5:17 PM

Typical Bungal. Say’s one thing, does another. Just like Ocho-Stinko.

8. ben says: Jun 26, 2010 5:18 PM

Maybe ben RAPIST berger can keep his ding ding in his pants!!! Who dey! We beat u twice last year

9. GBfanForever says: Jun 26, 2010 5:22 PM

I hope he sticks to it. Being in the nfl is not a good if you want to avoid booze. It’s like when Christopher on the Sopranos had to hang out with everybody when he was trying to go strait. They just made fun of him the whole time.

10. FAS says: Jun 26, 2010 5:58 PM

Talk is cheap, Rey. Follow through and stay straight. Just ask that fat rapist up the river what booze can do to your thinker.

11. Outlaw Jersey Whales says: Jun 26, 2010 6:46 PM

☻☼CBS, FOX, ESPN, NFLN nbc says:
    June 26, 2010 4:31 PM
    It’s only a matter of time before this guy Leonard Little’s someone.
    He’ll be drinking by week 8, once he realizes his season is over.
    ————————————————–
    I’m not a Bengals fan, but…
    Man, what? Bad day with the putter? Lose the front nine and the press on the back?
    I thought I was bad with MY posts!
    P.S. I am. Usually. I just can’t do it on this thread.

12. WhoDey_Man says: Jun 26, 2010 7:11 PM

☻☼CBS, FOX, ESPN, NFLN nbc says: “I’m a douchebag”
    and the entire PFT planet agrees. u suck.

13. RED GRANGE says: Jun 26, 2010 7:18 PM

Not buying it. Let’s wait until he goes through a full season and off season.

14. Cambodian Breast Milk says: Jun 26, 2010 8:01 PM

Not a Rey Maualuga fan, but nicely done and good job sir.

15. steveinohio says: Jun 26, 2010 8:43 PM

Hey red grange
    who give a sh** if you buy it. the guys is trying to get cleaned up. dumas.

16. SKINSFANTOM says: Jun 26, 2010 9:44 PM

hail to the redskins….

17. granadafan says: Jun 26, 2010 10:21 PM

I’m no Rey Rey fan and especially during his time at U$C when he beat up that kid. That said, I’m glad he’s maturing and is trying to help kids.

18. Crusty says: Jun 26, 2010 10:25 PM

Rey may be done drinking beer, but he’s still gonna knock the foam head off of Flaccido and Toothlessberger.

19. digitalbath says: Jun 26, 2010 11:37 PM

good luck on his road to recovery,a man in his position probably has a harder time than a ley man staying clean,hope he can sick to it,one day at a time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,GO RAVENS!!!

20. Jungle Juice says: Jun 27, 2010 12:55 AM

☻☼CBS, FOX, ESPN, NFLN nbc your daddy shoulda pulled out.

21. BDC_N_DC says: Jun 27, 2010 1:12 AM

“WhoDey_Man says:
    June 26, 2010 7:11 PM
    ☻☼CBS, FOX, ESPN, NFLN nbc says: “I’m a douchebag”
    and the entire PFT planet agrees. u suck.”
    Couldn’t have said it better.

22. Behind The Redwood Curtain says: Jun 27, 2010 1:53 AM

I just came from a United Way Fundraiser Dinner at the Avalon Restaurant in Eureka, CA where Rey was the keynote speaker. Believe me, Rey is the real deal. Not only is this guy a class act, but he publicly and humbly acknowledged the ordeal that he has been through this year and vowed to our community to be a better role model for the kids. On behalf of the local United Way, Rey spent the entire day today at Humboldt State University in Arcata, CA to help give back to the kids in Humboldt County. Thank you Rey for being willing to come back to your hometown in Eureka and help out with your name and position. We truly appreciate you and are glad that you still feel the connection with your local community. Thank you again and God Bless!

23. Farves sweet Hair says: Jun 27, 2010 9:54 AM

This guys a drunk!

24. Maddog says: Jun 27, 2010 10:41 AM

ben says:
    June 26, 2010 5:18 PM
    ———————————————
    Congratulations on the most successful season in franchise history.