NFL Network to air Canadian Football League games

The NFL Network continues to load up on non-NFL programming.

14 Canadian Football League games will be shown from now until early November, starting with a Thursday night game, July 1.  (Montreal @ Saskatchewan.)

We don’t know much about the CFL other than Chris Berman highlights, but the game

features three downs instead of four, 12 men aside instead of 11, and a playing field that’s 65 yards wide and
110 yards long, with end zones 20 yards deep.

We also get the impression the caliber of football is higher than the Arena Football League, which the NFL Network also airs.

Of course, I won’t be able to watch any of the action because I just moved to an apartment without a clear view of the southern sky.  (I’m not going to get over this and don’t care who is at fault.  Work it out with Time Warner.  It’s a total embarrassment the league-owned network still isn’t available in the city the league headquarters is based in.  Sorry.)

Go Alouettes!

Permalink 68 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
68 Responses to “NFL Network to air Canadian Football League games”
  1. HAILSKINS says: Jun 30, 2010 9:24 PM

Why?

2. moolah954 says: Jun 30, 2010 9:32 PM

i guess they couldn’t come up with any new shows aye

3. Strick says: Jun 30, 2010 9:37 PM

@ HAILSKINS: Because any football is better than no football. That’s why.
    But my question is: with the TENS of THOUSANDS of hours of archived footage in the NFL Films repositories, why aren’t they showing NFL football? What are they doing with all that footage? What possible reason might they have for never showing 95% of it?
    Here’s an idea: Every night during the offseason, the NFL Network plays the “Random Game of the Day”. Any game at all, from any time in the last 40 years. Doesn’t have to be a great game. Doesn’t have to be a playoff game or a Superbowl. Doesn’t have to be any superstar’s coming out party.
    Any game.
    Would you watch? Bet your ass you would.

4. CRM says: Jun 30, 2010 9:42 PM

the game features three downs instead of four, 12 men aside instead of 11, and a playing field that 65 yards wide and 110 yards long, with end zones 20 yards deep
    Don’t forget about the all-important “rouge.”

5. c.carterhof says: Jun 30, 2010 9:43 PM

This is great. I used to love watchin those games in the offseason, when ESPN was just a baby, I thought they were kinda cool.
    Go BlueBombers!

6. litemater95 says: Jun 30, 2010 9:45 PM

Of course, I won’t be able to watch any of the action because I just moved to an apartment without a clear view of the southern sky. (I’m not going to get over this and don’t care who is at fault. Work it out with Time Warner. It’s a total embarrassment the league-owned network still isn’t available in the city the league headquarters is based in. Sorry.)
    I hear You Greg!!

7. padre29 says: Jun 30, 2010 9:48 PM

Nice, the CFL is a better quality of Football than the AFL or UFL, and hopefully this will blot out the “will Favre play” nonsense this time of year.

8. j0hnny63 says: Jun 30, 2010 9:53 PM

as long as i don’t miss my hour after hour of “football follies”…

9. RiderNation says: Jun 30, 2010 9:55 PM

Go Riders!

10. bgdabengal says: Jun 30, 2010 9:59 PM

WooHoo!!! Go Tiger-Cats!!
    Great news that the NFL Network is doing this, Don’t worry americans, CFL is MUCH better then the Arena Football Crap you watch.. This could end up being very very good for the CFL too.. It might take a minute to understand the slight rule changes, But you’ll love it!! Oh.. and just remember.. the CFL has been around much longer then the NFL.. haha once you see a 5 yard penalty on a kick off you might not understand…

11. Bob Nelson says: Jun 30, 2010 10:00 PM

Now you have to acknowledge that Professional Football is being played in July.
    Season starts this weekend!!
    You can find games broadcast on the internet if NFL channel is unavailable.
    Every true fan of the sport watches the CFL…at least in July.

12. BBB82 says: Jun 30, 2010 10:03 PM

It beats twenty hours of top 10 shows.

13. Josh says: Jun 30, 2010 10:12 PM

I’m going to have to side with the author and say GO ALS!

14. mnmaverick says: Jun 30, 2010 10:13 PM

CFL?
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…

15. FumbleNuts says: Jun 30, 2010 10:17 PM

Where in the hell is that Canadian moron Crabman82?

16. padre29 says: Jun 30, 2010 10:22 PM

And the CFL has been feeding top notch players into the NFL for years, once a decade at least a outstanding CFLer makes it “down south” from Joe Theismman to Warren Moon to Jeff Garcia to Cameron Wake, the CFL produces plenty of NFL caliber Talent.
    Some 21 CFLers signed with NFL teams this offseason not bad for 8 teams and 43 man rosters.

17. JDMP says: Jun 30, 2010 10:26 PM

GO TIGER-CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Dogsweat says: Jun 30, 2010 10:31 PM

Way to go NFL!!
    Love the CFL!!
    Go Argos!!

19. Ryan35 says: Jun 30, 2010 10:31 PM

Go Bombers
    Canadian here, winnipegger to be more specific. I am a NFL die hard. CFL is a great game just don’t watch it and compare it to the NFL. The NFL it is not; however they do have some good players, and some emerge every year that fell through the NFL cracks. This really is the farm league right now for the NFL.
    Get ready for a lot of motion in the backfield, and lots of passing. Try to ignore the 5 yrd rule on punts, it sucks, and yes a missed field goal that is not returned out of the endzone is worth a point. I hate rewarding failure, but it is what it is. Still a great game.
    Get your CFL info from me Florio, I used to walk the bombers sidelines when I hosted my sports Radio show here in Winnipeg. Coached and played the game for most of my life.

20. bgdabengal says: Jun 30, 2010 10:34 PM

CRM says:
    June 30, 2010 9:42 PM
    Don’t forget about the all-important “rouge.”
    ___________________________
    haha, i wish i could see the faces when the score is 4-1 lmao

21. digitalbath says: Jun 30, 2010 10:40 PM

are there any cfl fantasy football leagues??,might be worth it to pass the offseason

22. AlwaysSunnyinPhilthadelphia says: Jun 30, 2010 10:43 PM

Canadian football should take the Thunderdome approach. 2 teams enter. 1 team leave. I would watch then.

23. SethGecko says: Jun 30, 2010 10:48 PM

@bgdabengal
    HAHA, oh man i wish i could see the faces when an NFL game ends 3-2, oh man im LMAO, LOL, 3-2 oh man can you believe it? how often has an NFL game ended in 3-2? So how often do you honestly think a CFL game ends 4-1?

24. Deb says: Jun 30, 2010 10:57 PM

It’s the NFL Network. I pay for it and don’t want to see the CFL, the UFL, or ANY other FL!
    No, Bob Nelson, TRUE fans do NOT have to acknowledge that professional football is being played in July. I’m not acknowledging ANY game that wasn’t played by Slingin’ Sammy Baugh, Unitas, Namath, Butkus, the Fearsome Foursome, or the Steel Curtain, and wasn’t coached by Halas, Lombardi, or Noll. Unless it was coached by Bear freakin’ Bryant!
    Good grief, somebody cue Bocephus already. This has got to be the longest off season EVER.

25. dickmac says: Jun 30, 2010 11:08 PM

I grew up watching the CFL in western NY – Bernie Faloney, Sam Etcheverry, Joe Zuger, Cookie Gilchrist, Wray Carlton and Tobin Rote with the Argos, et al.
    “Out of bounds’ is “into touch”, and my favorite penalty was “10 yards for talking”.

26. bgdabengal says: Jun 30, 2010 11:13 PM

SethGecko says:
    June 30, 2010 10:48 PM
    @bgdabengal
    __________________________
    I meant near the start of a game dumby.. high scoring CFL never ends that low.. unless its toronto vs the argos

27. Ryan35 says: Jun 30, 2010 11:15 PM

hey Deb !
    How about played by Warren Moon, Joe Thiesman, Doug Flutie, Cameron Wake or coached by Bud Grant.
    I love the NFL way more, but I am a football fan first and foremost.

28. dlmcc0909 says: Jun 30, 2010 11:23 PM

Why would we want to watch an inferior product? It would be like watching the WNBA after watching the Lakers and Celtics play. If I want a slight change I would just watch college football. I have no interest in the CFL whatsoever

29. padre29 says: Jun 30, 2010 11:24 PM

Odd Deb, Bud Grant Coached, Jim Marshall, and Joe Kapp, Joe Theismann, Jake Scott all played in the CFL..do they not count?

30. Ryan35 says: Jun 30, 2010 11:29 PM

bgdabengal says:
    June 30, 2010 11:13 PM
    SethGecko says:
    June 30, 2010 10:48 PM
    @bgdabengal
    _________________ _________
    So what’s the difference if the NFL game starts out 3-2? Dummy, not dumby. I hope you were being sarcastic when you said toronto vs the argos, even though it still makes no sense.

31. Ken West says: Jun 30, 2010 11:29 PM

How about you buy a place with the proper view for Direct TV?
    You would be surprised how many of us actually take that into consideration when moving.

32. edgy says: Jun 30, 2010 11:34 PM

I love the various forms of football because of the differences but you’ll find that most NFL fans really don’t like the CFL (Hell, they don’t even like the AFL. You can always tell an NFL fan who really doesn’t like the AFL because the first thing they say is how they like the league BUT what they’d love to see change is for the league to run more and then they come up with 9 million rule changes to dumb down the AFL to make it NFL Jr).
    The CFL is an acquired taste but it requires that you open up your mind to the differences, which is what you have to do with the AFL and had to do with the WFL, USFL and XFL. If you can just appreciate the game for what it is, you’ll enjoy it. I really love the CFL.

33. Topher says: Jun 30, 2010 11:45 PM

Ironically I will now watch the CFL on the NFL Network when I haven’t seen a CFL game since before ESPN got the NFL.

34. comment_submission_error says: Jun 30, 2010 11:52 PM

I guess “NFL Network” should change its name to “Football Whore.”

35. ItalianStallion says: Jul 1, 2010 12:08 AM

Good to see the CFL get some exposure. It’s a great league and the talent level is the highest among non-NFL football (yes, including Div 1 college).

36. Dogsweat says: Jul 1, 2010 12:24 AM

At the end of each season, I would love to see a CFL vs NFL Bowl.

37. Deb says: Jul 1, 2010 1:45 AM

@Ryan35 and padre29 …
    Um, guys … I chose those players and coaches because they’re iconic NFL figures (other than Bear Bryant, who is an iconic college figure). Was making a point … guess not clearly enough.
    Yes, several NFL employees worked in the Canadian league when they couldn’t find jobs in the NFL. No, padre29, for me their CFL work doesn’t count.
    Ryan35, I’m first and foremost an NFL fan. That’s why I pay Comcast extra for the NFL Network. Instead of providing Canadian football, the NFL could try providing a cable-based Sunday Ticket option. As Gregg points out, satellite dishes have major limitations. If I wanted Canadian football, gee, maybe I’d subscribe to a CFL Network. When I paid for the NFL Network, I expected to get the NFL, not a lot of other FLs.
    So … if being “first and foremost a football fan” means you consider all the other FLs must-see, you must also watch futbol (soccer), Rugby, Australian Rules Football, Gaelic Football, and International Rules Football. Or is your all-inclusive devotion limited to North America? If so, maybe someone else who watches Australian Football is more first and foremost than you.
    It’s like music. We’re all entitled to our preference. It’s great that you guys CHOOSE to watch the other stuff. But I’m not happy that I’ve paid for a classic rock station that keeps programming opera, punk, and Barney tunes.

38. David56 says: Jul 1, 2010 2:59 AM

I’ve seen the CFL several times although it has been awhile. Lots of wide open play due to that field size and only three downs. I’ll be watching when I can.

39. Nola North says: Jul 1, 2010 3:43 AM

SethGecko says:
    June 30, 2010 10:48 PM
    @bgdabengal
    _________________ _________
    You mean the toronto Argos vs the Toronto Argos ???
    I am a Canuck and love my NFL but to say cfl “sucks” is why the world looks at you that way!! SMH

40. ICDogg says: Jul 1, 2010 4:04 AM

Work something out with the neighbor on the other side…

41. Bob S. says: Jul 1, 2010 4:43 AM

Season starts TONIGHT Canada Day (Canada’s July 4th) on NFLN at 7pm ET with the rematch of last year’s Grey Cup, Montreal at Saskatchewan. Most of the players are Americans, even many of the Canadian players played college football in the USA. Montreal’s backup QB McPherson was once hit by a golf cart driven by the Tennessee Titans mascot during half-time. On December 8, 2006, he sued the Titans because of the accident that occurred during the pre-season game at LP Field. The suit sought $15 million in punitive damages and $5 million in compensatory damages and won. Their other backup QB is Chris Leak who was QB of national champion Florida.

42. Bob S. says: Jul 1, 2010 4:48 AM

NFL teams used to play exhibitions against Canadian teams. Check out these links below:

43. Skinsfan says: Jul 1, 2010 6:15 AM

OK. next story

44. Steve W. says: Jul 1, 2010 6:15 AM

I tried to watch some of the Arena league games, but I really can’t stand them. No defense at all. Growing up a Big 10 fan, I can’t consider anything real football if the defenses don’t matter. I’ll give the CFL games a good shot, however. Please, someone tell me they know how to play defense in the CFL. Besides, it’s not like there’s anything else on. Football is the only sport I enjoy watching on a consistent basis.

45. joetoronto says: Jul 1, 2010 6:17 AM

I haven’t watched a CFL game since 1984, once they reduced team salaries to the equal of one NFL player.

46. steveack says: Jul 1, 2010 7:43 AM

Football, any football, in July beats the hell out of cheerleader shows, top tens and football follies. I’ll give the boys up North a shot.

47. jj jones says: Jul 1, 2010 8:12 AM

I think it’s a great idea. I wonder if someday we see a hybrid of the CFL/UFL as the “minor league” of American football.

48. TexasBubba says: Jul 1, 2010 8:16 AM

Duh! Canadian What?

49. Chris Fiorentino says: Jul 1, 2010 8:21 AM

The NFL network should really change its name to the “The Football” network.

50. The Real Shuxion says: Jul 1, 2010 8:21 AM

@ Bob S.
    Thanks for the links.
    I enjoy the CFL, used to watch on ESPN 2 and locally they will show the games on FSN once in a while.
    Will be watching the second half tonight (If our network can actually stay up for 2 days in a row.)

51. sacdaddy says: Jul 1, 2010 8:21 AM

Ahhh the NFL’s retarded red headed step child.. fabulous

52. radioboy20010 says: Jul 1, 2010 8:26 AM

Watching CFL football is better than watching worthless NFL exhibition games.
    The sacred “fall time” for football should be tossed. I would prefer to watch football in July with the playoffs in December rather than subjecting fans paying hundreds of dollars for tickets to sit in the freezing cold to see subpar play due to conditions.
    You can all pretend to be macho men about it, but the fact is all of that bravado is pure phoniness. Having important games played when you can lose fingers and toes to frostbite is nonsense.

53. CurseofBoJackson says: Jul 1, 2010 8:52 AM

DOn’t love the CFL, but I can sure watch it when it’s impossible to watch NFL games. SOmeone who I’m too lazy to scroll back up and identify, made a great point though. NFL films has thousands and thousands of hours of archived game tapes, I LOVE the idea of playing a slate of random games (or even not random, like ESPN classic football games) during the off season. Brilliant!

54. TheDPR says: Jul 1, 2010 9:03 AM

CFL is a fun league to watch. I really like a lot of the rules such as motion toward the line of scrimmage by multiple players, a line of scrimmage a full yard wide, BIG field with big endzones, goalposts at the FRONT of the endzone, etc.

55. FBGeek77 says: Jul 1, 2010 9:12 AM

Just wanted to respond to the dude up there who said CFL has been around a lot longer than the NFL (too lazy to scroll back up and see who it was) … CFL was founded in 1958. NFL in 1921. That’s fuzzy math.

56. Bob S. says: Jul 1, 2010 10:24 AM

Remember back in one of those strike years CFL games instead were televised on the US national network TV – Keith Jackson I think did one of those games?

57. Bob S. says: Jul 1, 2010 10:35 AM

@FBGeek77

The name of the league started in 1958 but the 2 conferences playing for the Grey Cup were there before with teams added and leaving. Just as the NFL add teams from the All-America Conference and the AFL. They have been playing for the Grey Cup football championship of Canada since 1909. One example, the Toronto Argonauts the Canadian Football League team based in Toronto, Ontario. Founded in 1873, they are one of the oldest existing professional sports teams in North America and whose first Grey Cup championship was in 1914. Long before the NFL.

58. NFL4EVER says: Jul 1, 2010 10:37 AM

Bob S. says:
    July 1, 2010 10:24 AM
    ————————————————–
    NBC showed some games in 1982 during the strike, Dick Enberg & Merlin Olsen on the call.
    I like the CFL, lots of action and it’s not bad once you understand the rules.
    I went to a CFL game in Birmingham when the Barracudas were there, it ended up 51-28, what’s not to like?
    What else are you going to watch in July & August?

59. theravenlives2 says: Jul 1, 2010 11:07 AM

FACT: The Montreal Alouettes of today were the Baltimore Stallions who played in 1994 (lost the Grey Cup, the CFL Super Bowl) and 1995 (won the Grey Cup). The Stallions are still the only American team to win the Grey Cup, giving Baltimore the distinction of winning championships in three leagues (NFL, USFL, CFL) with four different teams (Baltimore Colts (NFL), Baltimore Stars (USFL), Baltimore Stallions (CFL), and Baltimore Ravens (NFL)).
    The CFL is a lot of fun to watch, but it ain’t the NFL. If you like offense (or as they say, Oh-fense), you’ll love the Canadian game.

60. Bob S. says: Jul 1, 2010 11:09 AM

Sure beats TV reruns AND boring 0-0 soccer!

61. Bob S. says: Jul 1, 2010 11:14 AM

In 1958 on a Sunday afternoon in mid-September, the CFL played a “regular season” game in Philadelphia’s old stadium later named JFK Stadium. Ottawa vs. Hamilton.

62. DJSlyBri says: Jul 1, 2010 11:39 AM

Can’t wait for that Roughriders-Roughriders game.

63. fts440 says: Jul 1, 2010 12:41 PM

@ Deb
    You actually pay for the NFL network?! You must like repetitive programing and top 10 shows a lot. God forbid should the NFL network show an actual football game. You should save your inane ramblings to talk about how much you love Rapistberger.
    GO BOMBERS!!

64. Dogsweat says: Jul 1, 2010 12:52 PM

Great knowledge.
    Baltimore Stallions were one of my favs– now gone.
    I would love to see the CFL revive this franchise name and colors —in some city.
    Once again—-thank you NFL Network.
    Go CFL!!!

65. edgy says: Jul 1, 2010 1:10 PM

@FBGeek77 says:
    Just wanted to respond to the dude up there who
    ****************
    The funny part is that you got that all wrong. Not only were you to lazy to scroll up but you were also too lazy to do any actual research.
    Fact – the “NFL” didn’t become the “NFL” until 1922 but in 1920, the APFA was formed and it changed its name to the NFL (just as the BAA became the NBA).
    The “CFL” was around a lot longer than the “NFL” by any name that you call it. It’s like the Green Bay Packers. Some people are under the impression that they’re an original NFL team BUT they’re not. They joined the APFA in 1921 and the only two original “NFL” franchises left are the Bears (founded in 1919 as an independent) and the Cardinals (founded in 1898). HOWEVER, the Packers were founded in 1919 and predated the APFA.

66. ogtv says: Jul 1, 2010 1:55 PM

woo hoo about time the grey cup is in my hometown this go eskimos go by the way warren moon played for the eskimos before he played in the nfl go edmonton

67. Deb says: Jul 1, 2010 5:14 PM

fts440 says:
    @ Deb
    ————————————————-
    Since I don’t know you, guess you’re just serving prick to strangers for lunch today. Speaking of inane ramblings …
    I pay for the NFL Network because dish subscribers in my area have frequent weather outages. And as a Comcast customer paying for the NFL Network is the ONLY way to get live GAMES aired during preseason, network-exclusive GAMES aired during regular season, live red-zone GAME coverage each Sunday instead of just the Jags and Bucs, and replays of GAMES not shown in my area … plus wall-to-wall coverage of the combine.
    So, genius, I am paying for GAMES. And at least Comcast gives me that option. As Gregg pointed out, Time Warner customers can’t get the NFL Network at all.

68. Complete Fan says: Jul 2, 2010 9:50 AM

“The “CFL” was around a lot longer than the “NFL” by any name that you call it. It’s like the Green Bay Packers. Some people are under the impression that they’re an original NFL team BUT they’re not. They joined the APFA in 1921 and the only two original “NFL” franchises left are the Bears (founded in 1919 as an independent) and the Cardinals (founded in 1898). HOWEVER, the Packers were founded in 1919 and predated the APFA”
    The Toronto Argonauts and Hamilton Tiger-Cats date back to 1873.
    As for the games, IT’S FOOTBALL!!!
    Enjoy. CFL, UFL, AFL, NFL. All sounds good to me!