Randall Cunningham's 2-year-old son drowns in family hot tub

The 2-year-old son of former NFL quarterback Randall Cunningham has died in an apparent accidental drowning in the hot tub at the family home in Las Vegas.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports that Christian Cunningham, who would have turned 3 in December, died after being found floating in the backyard hot tub.

Randall Cunningham is pastor of Remnant Ministries and performs baptisms in the hot tub at his home, the paper reports.
He was not home at the time.

According to the report, a woman at Cunningham’s house was with several children when she found Christian at about 4:30 p.m. The woman pulled Christian out and began performing CPR until paramedics arrived, and he was taken to St. Rose Dominican Hospital, where he died.

Cunningham went to UNLV and played 16 seasons in the NFL, making four Pro Bowls. He retired following the 2001 season.

Permalink 110 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
110 Responses to “Randall Cunningham's 2-year-old son drowns in family hot tub”
  1. jj jones says: Jun 30, 2010 8:04 AM

Terrible story. I knew Cunningham a little through business dealings with his clothing store in Vegas. Good dude. I cannot imagine what he is going through right now.

2. Heywood Jablowme says: Jun 30, 2010 8:04 AM

What a horrible tragedy. My heart goes out to Randall and his family.

3. The Purple Nightmare says: Jun 30, 2010 8:05 AM

My prayers are with you and your family Randall

4. Mooch says: Jun 30, 2010 8:06 AM

What terrible news, heartbreaking. One of my favorite Eagles of all time, if not my #1 favorite.
    My heart goes out to him and his family.

5. Pudge Heffelfinger says: Jun 30, 2010 8:07 AM

Wow. Absolutely heartbreaking. Sending prayers to the family.

6. sand0 says: Jun 30, 2010 8:08 AM

Vikings nation sends their deepest sympathies. We pray your family has the strength to endure this terrible tragedy.

7. JustRay says: Jun 30, 2010 8:11 AM

God bless you and your family Mr. Cunningham. I’ll be praying for you and your family.

8. Black QB White RB says: Jun 30, 2010 8:12 AM

A real tragedy. Guy was a fantastic player for a long time. wish him the best, and his family.

9. FloriosPhillyFan says: Jun 30, 2010 8:13 AM

Randall is a great man, I’m so sorry this happened to them.
    RIP

10. Clubber Lang says: Jun 30, 2010 8:15 AM

Simply tragic. My thoughts and prayers go out to Randall and his family. I have to ask though, how was this child alone in a hot tub?

11. theycallme_iPod says: Jun 30, 2010 8:17 AM

RIP young fella, its sad when people die, but especially when they are kids…

12. jermely says: Jun 30, 2010 8:17 AM

Horrible..
    I feel so bad for the family. If I were a praying man, they would be in them..
    Devasting..

13. Babbabooey says: Jun 30, 2010 8:19 AM

QB Eagles was Awesome in TSB. His bootleg run/pass plays were unstoppable if used right.
    Sucks about his kid though. I couldn’t imagine….

14. BonnieD says: Jun 30, 2010 8:20 AM

That is heartbreaking. So sorry for the family. They are in my prayers.

15. GreenAsGrass says: Jun 30, 2010 8:21 AM

God help him, this is a terrible tradgedy. My thoughts and prayers go out to Cunningham.

16. DonTerrelli says: Jun 30, 2010 8:23 AM

That’s terrible. My prayers are with the family.

17. Pack_Attack says: Jun 30, 2010 8:25 AM

truly heart breaking

18. medic406 says: Jun 30, 2010 8:26 AM

I cannot imagine a worse feeling. My heart and prayers go out to the family. Save the smart-ass comments for yourselves on this one, dirt bags.

19. J-oh says: Jun 30, 2010 8:28 AM

Absolutely terrible…my thoughts to Cunningham and his family. Terrible way to start the day off…

20. Bleeding Green says: Jun 30, 2010 8:32 AM

Anyone who has children understands how brutal this must be. My heart goes out to the Cunninghams.

21. Nate is Gay for Brady says: Jun 30, 2010 8:33 AM

Oh my God. How freaking horrible.

22. tian says: Jun 30, 2010 8:33 AM

This is sad. Terrible! I don’t wish this on anyone and I feel really sorry for him and his family.

23. Belichick for President says: Jun 30, 2010 8:34 AM

Terrible. What a shame.

24. ChillyP says: Jun 30, 2010 8:34 AM

What a terrible tragedy to such a little kid. May be rest in peace.

25. Burning River says: Jun 30, 2010 8:35 AM

My heart goes out to Mr. Cunningham and his family. There is no tragedy greater than losing a child. That is so very sad.

26. myspaceyourface says: Jun 30, 2010 8:36 AM

This is so sad. You have our thoughts and prayers. I can’t even begin to imagine the pain.

27. Jack Burton says: Jun 30, 2010 8:37 AM

That’s awful, I’m not religious but hopefully his beliefs will help him.

28. 90ragtop says: Jun 30, 2010 8:39 AM

Prayers sent.

29. Dixon29 says: Jun 30, 2010 8:42 AM

May the Lord be with him in this tragic time. Mr. Cunningham and his family are in my prayers.

30. Diablo2k2 says: Jun 30, 2010 8:42 AM

Such a tragedy. God Bless this family in the time of their need.

31. burntorangehorn says: Jun 30, 2010 8:45 AM

Very sad, and my heart goes out to the family. This is a reminder that I absolutely need to get a locking top for my hot tub. It’d be my nightmare to find either of my kids like that.

32. Steel Dahn Sahth says: Jun 30, 2010 8:46 AM

Can’t even imagine.. So sad.

33. overkil2 says: Jun 30, 2010 8:48 AM

It’s terrible when you hear stories like this. Puts everything else into persepctive.

34. Buffalo Stampede says: Jun 30, 2010 8:49 AM

I can’t imagine this happening to me. Enjoy the heavens little guy. Prayers to his family.

35. jb10 says: Jun 30, 2010 8:53 AM

terrible story. my heart goes out to the cunningham family.

36. DM says: Jun 30, 2010 8:54 AM

Prayers to the whole family.
    Terrible.

37. geo1113 says: Jun 30, 2010 8:55 AM

My heart goes out to Randall and his family. God bless you.

38. Chop Block Murphy says: Jun 30, 2010 8:55 AM

Couldn’t have said it better Jack Burton. You and your family are in my thoughts, Randall.

39. HOI says: Jun 30, 2010 8:58 AM

Heart goes out to his family…I have a two year old and I couldn’t possibly begin to imagine the pain they are feeling.

40. shoe says: Jun 30, 2010 9:03 AM

God bless Christian and his loved ones.

41. raiderUfan says: Jun 30, 2010 9:07 AM

Insantly made me miss my kids….just an absolute tradgedy. I’m not a religous man but I hope faith and his families beliefs help him and his family during this time. Just…terrible.

42. Meat Tuperello says: Jun 30, 2010 9:10 AM

Horrible news. It’s so sad when a little one dies. Thoughts are with you RC.

43. Panda_Claus says: Jun 30, 2010 9:11 AM

What a shocking piece of news. Heartbreaking to hear this. I can’t imagine what the Cunningham family is going through right now. God be with them.

44. Bwa Ha Ha says: Jun 30, 2010 9:20 AM

Terrible news. I’m sitting here watching my 2 year old grandson and cannot imagine the grief he must feel.
    God be with this family.

45. Cro-Mags says: Jun 30, 2010 9:21 AM

Terrible. I can’t imagine the heartbreak they are going through now.

46. steelerfan9598 says: Jun 30, 2010 9:26 AM

Awful. A family friend of ours lost a child drowning at a day camp – the heartbreak is unimaginable. I hope he doesn’t blame himself or it will eat away at him forever on top of his grief. I was a big fan of his as a player and he always seemed like a good dude. My sympathies…….

47. theycallme_iPod says: Jun 30, 2010 9:27 AM

You guys are crying about your God, wake up, there is no God, you have been fooled for more than 2k years, it’s scientifically impossible. Wake up, think for yourself. The thought alone, that there is a bearded old man up above the clouds makes me laugh. But, I am sorry for y’all. I really am, educate yourself and you will learn this whole religion stuff is THE biggest fraud on mankind.
    I will accept anyone’s belief and religion, I will and I do respect it, but it saddens me, how naive you all are.
    *peace

48. SmackDaPack says: Jun 30, 2010 9:31 AM

Read the headline and lost my breath, terrible. May God grant this family strength and peace.

49. KnuckleBucket says: Jun 30, 2010 9:34 AM

Absolutely tragic.

50. SATAN567 says: Jun 30, 2010 9:41 AM

Randall was a really fun dude to watch when I was growing up. One of the players that I really value having got to see in old Mile High Stadium. My thoughts and prayers are with Randall and his family during this difficult time.

51. Roethlisberger's Bitch Tits says: Jun 30, 2010 9:44 AM

Sad day, condolences to you and your family.

52. DallasFan in NY says: Jun 30, 2010 9:47 AM

Rest in peace little one…

53. ken hawk says: Jun 30, 2010 9:48 AM

Heartbreaking

54. Zel says: Jun 30, 2010 9:49 AM

hey coach, i member when you told me i could should be jumpin 6 feet easy in high jump, ha never got that far.. but i kept trying and never gave up in that meet.. anyways thankx for helping me man, i love ur family, and i just wanna say you hafto to be strong for ur family man.. ive only lost a cousin, couldnt imagine losing a son or brother, you already know my whole family is praying for you so plz coach dont give up…..

55. Zel says: Jun 30, 2010 9:50 AM

hey coach, wanted to say thankx for helping me in high jump last year, keep ya head up randy jr. love ya’ll

56. RexRyan'sStressedLapband says: Jun 30, 2010 9:51 AM

As the father of a 4 and 2 year old, I can’t imagine how someone would even begin to accept this tragedy and move on. Good luck to the Cunninghams. Losing a child is something no person should have to accept.

57. DonRSD says: Jun 30, 2010 9:54 AM

oh my god, my condolences go out to him

58. leaguemvp says: Jun 30, 2010 9:56 AM

god blesss randall and his family.

59. Florio-is-a-tool says: Jun 30, 2010 9:56 AM

What a shame. My sympathies for the Cunningham family.

60. knightsroundtable says: Jun 30, 2010 10:02 AM

May God put his hands on the Cunningham family. To give them strength. I feel so sad for him and his family.

61. whatev says: Jun 30, 2010 10:08 AM

That is so terrible. Sympathies and condolences to the family – that seems so empty to say. Wishing them peace and comfort.

62. Canned Heat says: Jun 30, 2010 10:10 AM

medic406 says:
    June 30, 2010 8:26 AM
    ___________________________________
    Didn’t see a single one ’til you posted yours, you tool.
    My deepest sympathies for the Cunningham family. RIP.

63. SkolVikings says: Jun 30, 2010 10:11 AM

The Lord be with you & your family Randall. My heart is extremely sad over this tragedy.

64. gallogj says: Jun 30, 2010 10:16 AM

What a tragedy. I couldn’t imagine that happening to my two year old, I also couldn’t imagine letting my two year old get so far out of my sight that this would happen. I can’t imagine how bad the child’s caretaker feels, but it might be warranted. A two year old should never be that far from you, not even for a second, especially with a pool around. So tragic.

65. PurpleRaid12 says: Jun 30, 2010 10:18 AM

What a tragedy… so sorry for the Cunningham family.

66. midwest says: Jun 30, 2010 10:26 AM

Brutal story. I have a two year old, and I would need hospitalization if anything like this happened to her. Truly sorry for this family.

67. rcunningham says: Jun 30, 2010 10:29 AM

My favorite player of all time and my personal idol.
    I can’t imagine the grief he is feeling right now. I hope all goes well for him. Losing a child like that is terrible.

68. RossyRoss says: Jun 30, 2010 10:31 AM

That really sucks! WoW!

69. The Pillager says: Jun 30, 2010 10:34 AM

theycallme_iPod….
    if you respect and accept other people’s takes on faith why are you using this opportunity to “pipe up”??
    what is truly sad is that you could not keep your opinion to yourself while others are sending their condolences…btw 2k years?? that is if you are basing everything on the Gregorian calendar…according to the Jewish calendar it is 5770 and no one truly believes G-d is man with a white beard – that is marketing…..
    My apologies to everyone for responding this way and not letting it slide….as someone who has lost his mother, 2 uncles and 5 friends before the age of 18 I can only hope this tragedy helps the Cunnignham family and every PFT reader cherish every moment we have on this earth.
    Live the moment and do not dwell on the past or look to far ahead in the future – be sure to express your love to your family and friends and SMILE!!!!! Life is too short to be unhappy…

70. Madhatta246 says: Jun 30, 2010 10:37 AM

Damn! Randall Cunningham was the sole reason I became an NFL fan. My heart goes out to him and his family.

71. -RoNiN- says: Jun 30, 2010 10:39 AM

My thoughts and prayers are with Mr. C and his family

72. Old School says: Jun 30, 2010 10:56 AM

This kind of thing involving innocent children tears me up.
    My prayers for God’s comfort go out to the Cunningham family.

73. mattgso says: Jun 30, 2010 10:56 AM

Oh my God…. I ache just trying to think if that was my child.
    Best hopes and prayers for the family.

74. NickSabanSucks says: Jun 30, 2010 10:59 AM

theycallme_iPod…
    I’m not particularly religious either, but are you Serious??? How about showing some respect for people expressing their sympathies and beliefs…
    That being said… What a terrible shame, Its hard to even think about something as terrible as this..
    RIP

75. DADNVRSWUNG@ME says: Jun 30, 2010 11:07 AM

76. Donna says: Jun 30, 2010 11:08 AM

My condolences go out to Randall and his family. God Bless them during this difficult time!

77. LeRoy36 says: Jun 30, 2010 11:12 AM

theycallme_iPod says:
    June 30, 2010 9:27 AM
    ++++++
    It’s called faith. No scientific evidence necessary. Little Christian is in the arms of God’s angels.

78. robmart0906 says: Jun 30, 2010 11:14 AM

that’s horrible. i cant imagine the pain he must be right now… my thoughts and prayers for Cunningham..

79. Mike Whorio says: Jun 30, 2010 11:17 AM

Someone needs to be held accountable for this. Something like that should NEVER happen. Not sure if it’s Randall’s fault for letting someone incapable watch is 2 year old son, but that woman should face charges.

80. ThePitts says: Jun 30, 2010 11:25 AM

Sorry for your loss…

81. Philly Cheese says: Jun 30, 2010 11:26 AM

Condolences to the family. Has to be the most difficult thing to contend with. Heartbreaking.
    DADNVRSWUNG@ME,
    Really? Asshole.

82. db3300 says: Jun 30, 2010 11:30 AM

theycallme_iPod, it takes more faith to believe in what you do than it does to believe in what I do. There is no scientific evidence to back up that everything “just” happened either. There are a lot of THEORIES and all of them were developed by atheists. Educate yourself and show the world that you aren’t really filled with hate and that you don’t possess knowledge that the rest of the world doesn’t.
    God, please be with the Cunningham family and bless them. And God bless you, ‘iPod’.

83. AlanSaysYo says: Jun 30, 2010 11:31 AM

Hopefully the woman at the home was a caretaker and not a family memeber, which would make this even more tragic for the family.

84. Franchise says: Jun 30, 2010 11:32 AM

Terrible tragedy for not only a great player, but a great person.
    Sad to hear it.

85. The Pillager says: Jun 30, 2010 11:34 AM

DADNVRSWUNG@ME says:
    “According to various reports, Cunningham was unable to see the child in the hot tub because he had inexplicably taken a knee.”
    Seriously???……. have some respect! Whether you like the guy as a player or not – this is def. not the time or place to be posting wise ass remarks:(
    Again – all the sympathies and prayers to the Cunningham family…may no of us ever have to come close to this type of situation in our lives

86. Panty Raider says: Jun 30, 2010 11:34 AM

poor little guy, RIP

87. raiderrob21 says: Jun 30, 2010 11:39 AM

Thoughts and prayers Cunningham Family
    Sincerely,
    The Raider Nation

88. Cereal Blogger says: Jun 30, 2010 11:57 AM

Unreal,,,,tragic. My heart goes out to the Cunningham’s

89. footballnut says: Jun 30, 2010 12:09 PM

I am so sorry for Randall Cunningham and his family’s loss.
    This is terrible. RIP Christian.

90. footballnut says: Jun 30, 2010 12:10 PM

I am so sorry for Randall Cunningham and his family’s loss.
    This is terrible. RIP Christian.

91. sacdaddy says: Jun 30, 2010 12:12 PM

Randall, my deepest condolences for you and your family..

92. Midway Monster says: Jun 30, 2010 12:13 PM

It is an overwelming feeling reading something like this. Especially if you have young children. It gives you a sick feeling and chokes the breath from you. And this is just reading about the tragedy of someone else. I hope you and your family find the strength to overcome this. There are millions thinking of you now. I wish you all the courage you can find during this time in your life.

93. JustAThought says: Jun 30, 2010 12:18 PM

Words like “I’m sorry” just don’t seem adequate in a situation like this. May the peace of God be with you and your family.

94. JustAThought says: Jun 30, 2010 12:28 PM

Dear theycallme_iPod.
    I would rather go through life believing in God and find out at the last moment there was no God, than to go through life beleiving there was no God only to find out at the last moment there was.
    We all believe in the wind, yet we don’t actually see it, but we have faith the wind is there. I believe in God, I have faith that he is there because I have seen him work in my life and others. It’s not rocket science, it’s faith.

95. dwatkins says: Jun 30, 2010 12:30 PM

Said a prayer for his family to get through this sad tragedy

96. BigBear123 says: Jun 30, 2010 12:41 PM

Class act during career and after.
    Hard to imagine what him and his family are going through.
    God Bless.

97. salty says: Jun 30, 2010 1:07 PM

San Diego sends our respects. Sad thing to happen to anybody.

98. mustbechris says: Jun 30, 2010 1:14 PM

you know how i know florio didn’t write this article?
    it doesn’t say anything about “thoughts and prayers” anywhere in it. which is refreshing.
    with that said, this is horrible and i can’t imagine how he and his family feel right now. randall’s a great person and i know he’ll pull through.

99. sasquash69 says: Jun 30, 2010 1:18 PM

That sucks. God bless and rest in peace little cunningham.

100. Brock Landers says: Jun 30, 2010 1:50 PM

# mustbechris says: June 30, 2010 1:14 PM
    you know how i know florio didn’t write this article?
    ———————————————————————-
    What’s so wrong with saying “thoughts and prayers”? For the readers who pray, their prayers are with him and his family. For those who are not religious, their thoughts are with him and his family. It’s all the same. I’m not religious, but it doesn’t bother me one bit to hear that someone is praying for someone else.

101. Dewey Axewoond says: Jun 30, 2010 2:03 PM

As both an owner of a hot tub and father of two kids (both under 4), this is both heart-breaking and cautionary.
    Parents are never meant to bury their kids, period.
    Thoughts, prayers, sympathy, and lesson learned/reminder here, that’s for sure.
    Hug your kids twice tonight when you get home–I know I will.

102. w2lucky says: Jun 30, 2010 3:05 PM

Hug and prayers from a Cowboys fan that loved to watch you play. Rest in peace little guy.

103. The Real Shuxion says: Jun 30, 2010 3:44 PM

Thoughts and prayers. I cannot imagine anything worse than losing your children. (I have no kids myself)

104. JoeLackey says: Jun 30, 2010 4:38 PM

Thats tragic. Prayers with Randall and his family.

105. funi says: Jun 30, 2010 7:17 PM

Was he trying to baptize him?

106. bellivi5150 says: Jun 30, 2010 7:50 PM

How tragic.

107. Coach says: Jun 30, 2010 8:35 PM

My heart and condolences go out to Randall and his family.

108. JuicyMelon says: Jun 30, 2010 8:40 PM

RIP

109. Brady-mancrush says: Jul 1, 2010 12:05 AM

Our hearts and prayers are with you Randall….
    @they call me ipod
    Psa 14:1 The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”
    @funi you sir, truly have no class. I feel bad for your parents.

110. imissmydeadspin says: Jul 1, 2010 3:27 PM

funi
    i bet you’re proud of yourself for posting that. it took over 100 posts, but there is always that 1 % of the population (you) who never fail at being complete wastes of life.