Vincent Jackson braces for four-game suspension

NFL_Jackson_250.jpgLost, at times, in the contractual dispute between the Chargers and receiver Vincent Jackson is the fact that Jackson faces a suspension in the wake of a pair of DUI incidents.

Per a league source, a team with interest in Jackson has learned that he’s expecting a four-game suspension from the league office.

In 2007, then-Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen received a four-game suspension after a second DUI.  On appeal, the league reduced his sanction to two games.

For Jackson, he also has pleaded guilty to knowingly driving with a suspended license after an arrest that occurred on the way to a playoff loss to the Jets.  After that arrest, Jackson expressed defiance and indignation; if the league has heard the audio of his remarks, we doubt that Jackson will earn any brownie points.

The fact that Jackson faces a suspension likely has made him less inclined to sign his tender offer before the regular-season begins.  The reality that he could miss as many as four games could make teams interested in trading for him less inclined to do so.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
25 Responses to “Vincent Jackson braces for four-game suspension”
  1. brasho says: Jun 30, 2010 10:02 PM

So if he doesn’t sign his contract, is he able to NOT sign his tender until after week 14 and still receive credit for the year?
    Seriously, this should be looked into. Here’s a guy that whether he signs or not, won’t be getting paid for the first 4 games of the 2010 season. So if he waits until after week 4 to sign, is he not eligible until week 8?

2. Bill.Polian says: Jun 30, 2010 10:03 PM

The Jets should trade for him so Goodell won’t suspend him. I need him in my fantasy league.

3. AlwaysSunnyinPhilthadelphia says: Jun 30, 2010 10:09 PM

Nice I know i picked up Malcolm Floyd late last year on my fantasy team for a reason.

4. boltswm23 says: Jun 30, 2010 10:12 PM

brasho…you read my mind. I was just about to type that. I am curious to know too.

5. TylerDurden says: Jun 30, 2010 10:15 PM

He’s not going anywhere. He’s an excellent example of the Charger franchise….Long live AJ

6. lanjoith says: Jun 30, 2010 10:15 PM

Brandon Marshall is as bad of an apple as there is and Goodell reduced his suspension to 1 game. VJ will get the same. There is no way he gets 4 games.

7. Meat Tuperello says: Jun 30, 2010 10:24 PM

If he sits out until week 10, that is when his 4 game suspension should start.

8. allinSTACKme says: Jun 30, 2010 11:13 PM

lanjioth, I might be wrong on this, but I don’t believe B Marsh had multiple DUIs (multiple incidents I know).
    In one of the other stories about VJ yesterday or the day before, wasn’t there a Charger homer piping off about how he was as talented as B Marsh (seriously?), but didn’t have the baggage, or something like that?
    Good call

9. raidersteve413 says: Jun 30, 2010 11:15 PM

umm pft is not really good with sources are they? Jackson and the raiders are negotiating a deal as I write this. It should be finalized by this weekend. I have better sources than this website. I was right about jason campbell, knew that 2 days before PFT even sniffed at it. Iam the only one that has true sources when its about the raiders. yet these people like PFT and ESPN dont wana pay me, or they never ever believe me then when they find out they say “You heard it here first”!

10. bigbolt says: Jun 30, 2010 11:41 PM

As a Bolts fan let me tell you this…..AJ Smith is such a smug ego-maniac that he would rather have V-Jax sit for a year and “win” the pissing contest than actually trade him for something the Chargers organizations might actually be able to USE!!!
    Let’s not forget, this is the man who let Drew Brees and Michael Turner WALK with absolutely NO compensation!!! What kind of GM allows that to happen?!?! A crappy GM with an ego that can’t fit through the doorway!

11. salty says: Jul 1, 2010 12:39 AM

They got compensation for Turner in the form of draft picks. AJ is a great GM. VJac does’nt qualify to be a Charger because he is not a team player. The NBA championships is a good example of winning because you play as a team. You don’t complain about your contract too other players in the middle of the jet playoff game like Jackson did.

12. pauliesmooth says: Jul 1, 2010 1:19 AM

When I read this all I can think of is blah blah blah. If this guy isnt a redskin in the next 48 hours bruce allen isnt doing his job. Hail Skins!!!!

13. Cambodian Breast Milk says: Jul 1, 2010 2:49 AM

bigbolt says:
    June 30, 2010 11:41 PM
    As a Bolts fan let me tell you this….
    As a Bolts Fan, you should know that Drew Brees and Michael Turner were both Free Agents, and free to sign with whoever they wanted..genius.

14. Wonka says: Jul 1, 2010 7:35 AM

Maybe you guys didn’t read that correctly. He was only charged and convicted of a crime, not accused or anything.
    Everyone knows accusations are what get the big suspensions.

15. HarrisonHits says: Jul 1, 2010 8:00 AM

“If he sits out until week 10, that is when his 4 game suspension should start.”
    @Meat Tuperello and the others who asked, don’t think it works that way. In the past unsigned players were allowed to serve their “suspensions” during games played while they were not yet on a team. Believe this precedent was set with Tank Johnson from the Bears a few years ago.

16. DzungHa says: Jul 1, 2010 10:12 AM

hey bigbolt, perhaps you’ve heard of names like Julius Peppers and Albert Haynesworth? you actually think that no players ever leave their team without compensation? maybe you shouldnt be criticizing if you are ignorant about the facts.

17. Meat Tuperello says: Jul 1, 2010 10:25 AM

@harrisonhits
    That might be the case, but that certainly doesn’t make it correct in my opinion.
    I guess I look at like they do in baseball.
    A catcher/first baseman might be suspended 1-2 games for whatever reason.

18. Meat Tuperello says: Jul 1, 2010 10:25 AM

@harrisonhits
    I guess I look at like they do in baseball.
    A catcher/first baseman might be suspended 1-2 games for whatever reason.
    A starting pitcher for the same reasons will be suspended 5-10 games to make sure it includes 1-2 starts.

19. paulnoga says: Jul 1, 2010 10:46 AM

I do not know league policy, but it seems reasonable that a suspension can’t be given to a player not under contract. How can you suspend someone that is not an employee (or contractor)?

20. CKL says: Jul 1, 2010 10:56 AM

Yeah HH that’s true..Tank was unsigned at the time and was allowed to count the 4 games (or whatever it was) he “missed” before he signed in Dall. Wonder how it will work with Jackson who while also not signed isn’t a FA like Tank was either? Personally I think you should have to serve the suspension after you are with a team (if FA) and after you sign your tender (if RFA).
    Either way VJ DEFINITELY deserves at least 4 games suspension just like BR’s will be (I don’t think anyone really believes BR will be out 6 games…it’s a fake cushion RG built in so he can look benevolent when he cuts it down..just like with Ronnie Mexico’s).

21. SmyDChargers says: Jul 1, 2010 11:01 AM

Can the Broncos have him, they need another trouble making wide receiver for McD to handle.

22. Icantadd says: Jul 1, 2010 11:20 AM

From everything I have read concerning Jackson and a possible situation, the day he signs his tender, his suspension would start, provided a suspension has been issued by either the NFL or San Diego. I think the fact that Tank Johnson didn’t have a team at the time changed his situation, whereas Jackson is knowingly preventing himself from playing.
    Not sure how it would work concerning accruing credit towards free agency, though. It’s been said that he would need to sign his tender by Week 10 to accrue a year of service towards free agency; not sure if that is because he needs to actually play a number of games, or just that he needs to be under contract for a certain number of weeks. If its dependent on actual games played to obtain a year, he will just sign in Week 6, be suspended for 4 games, and start playing in Week 10, like he intends to now. No matter the case, unless he’s traded, Jackson isn’t willing to play more than 6 or 7 games for San Diego.

23. The Bee's Knees says: Jul 1, 2010 11:27 AM

Is this guy trying to 1up Haynesworth?
    Give me a break, VJ he wants to get paid more than Brandon Marshall, well your 2 DUIs, upcoming suspension, and threats to sit out are really helping your leverage…
    This guy is overrated anyways, he is #1 WR on the high octane offense known as the San Diego Chargers. His numbers ought to be better if he was truly a top tier WR. He had weapons at RB QB and TE his whole career. He still hasn’t outperformed Brandon Marshall yet he wants to get paid more than him?

24. The Bee's Knees says: Jul 1, 2010 11:27 AM

Is this guy trying to 1up Haynesworth?

25. bigbolt says: Jul 1, 2010 5:41 PM

Hey CambodianBreastMilk and DzungHa–
    Obviously you don’t understand anything I was saying. First off, i KNOW they were free agents…but AJ had numerous opportunities to trade both of them KNOWING that he had Rivers and wasn’t going to get rid of LT at that time…he instead let them play out their contracts and walk without compensation.
    And DzungHa, i was talking about MY team…not the entire NFL. The Chargers have a bad habit of passing on trade offers and letting people walk with no compensation.