Vincent Jackson suspended three games

V. Jackson4.jpgHoldout or not, Vincent Jackson won’t suit up during the first three games of the regular season.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the NFL suspended the disgruntled Chargers wide receiver three games for violating the league’s personal conduct policy.  This news likely comes as a small relief to Jackson, who was expecting a four game suspension.

The suspension could be reduced upon appeal.  Defensive end Jared Allen got a four game suspension reduced to two games after two DUI arrests.  Jackson pled guilty in February to DUI, his second conviction.

Jackson picked an outstanding time to get suspended.  The unsigned restricted free agent is threatening to skip the first half of the season because he wants a new contract from the Chargers that doesn’t appear forthcoming.

Jackson remains on the block, but the suspension doesn’t affect his trade value much.  Everyone knew it was coming.  Now we’ll have to see if Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith can find a suitor willing to give up enough so that Jackson can spend his time off while on another roster.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
42 Responses to “Vincent Jackson suspended three games”
  1. BigMikeSkinsFan says: Jul 1, 2010 11:34 AM

then he will be the starting WR in burgundy and gold…HAIL!

2. hineswardcriesafterfumbling says: Jul 1, 2010 11:35 AM

THOSE ROADS WERE WEARING DOWN TO GET DRUNK-DRIVEN ON!!!! THEY WANTED IT!!! EXPOSE THE WHORE! THE TRUTH MUST COME OUT!!!

3. BoltsFan says: Jul 1, 2010 11:39 AM

Hopefully A.J. Smith makes an example of this buffoon and makes him sit for little or no compensation this year. These players need to get a ticket for the clue bus. They DO NOT dictate to the The League.

4. Stillerz says: Jul 1, 2010 11:39 AM

Go get him Steelers!! Come week 5 we will DOMINATE

5. Wonka says: Jul 1, 2010 11:39 AM

2 DUI convictions = Either a 3 games suspension, or 4 games reduced to 2. Different punishments for the same crime???? How the hell is that even possible? There is no rhyme or reason to Goodell and his power trip he is on regarding the mysterious conduct policy.
    Then again, players with multiple CONVICTIONS get far less punishment(if any at all) than players with mere accusations against them which don’t result in ANY charges.. The whole thing makes me hate the NFL.

6. Bwa Ha Ha says: Jul 1, 2010 11:43 AM

Where does Michael Vick fit in with this story?
    Isn’t this site supposed to be all about Vick until the lynching?

7. aschwartz says: Jul 1, 2010 11:45 AM

Trade him to Tampa
    Tampa gets
    Jackson
    McNeill
    Merriman
    San Diego gets
    Penn
    2011 Conditional 1st (If it is top 10 it rolls over to 2012 and SD gets an additional 3rd round pick)
    2011 2nd round pick
    I know this is a Madden trade and it will never happen but a guy can wish.

8. RayDaMayor says: Jul 1, 2010 11:48 AM

I’ll trade ya 3 steelies and 2 greenies, plus a bag of Fritos.

9. brownsfn says: Jul 1, 2010 11:51 AM

I seen suspension and immediately thought this was a Mike Vick thread…oh well…th
    at will be coming soon enough I guess…

10. KingOkra says: Jul 1, 2010 11:54 AM

In three years, he’ll be the starting WR in a bright orange jumpsuit.

11. CarolinaGiant says: Jul 1, 2010 11:56 AM

Point of clarification….Jared Allen was suspended four games for two DUIs while in the NFL but he has actually been arrested three times (total) for DUI. Once in 2002 as well…
    It is also important to note that Allen served 48 hours in jail after his 3rd DUI. I know state laws, etc differ but perhaps the legal system agreed that Allen was due more punishment since I don’t think VJax has done jail time.
    Maybe that is the difference between 4 vs 3 games

12. ozzie41 says: Jul 1, 2010 11:57 AM

The people who keep defending Vick with “innocent until proven guilty
    ” are technically right in a legal sense. But ” innocent until repeatedly proven DUMBASS “allows me to comment about his
    character.

13. DenverWally says: Jul 1, 2010 12:03 PM

Stillerz, Jackson may be a good fit on PGH as he is a criminal, but he certainly couldn’t start. He hasn’t sexually assualted any women as far as we know, so he has to sit.
    PGH – the new Oakland Raiders… scumbags all.

14. Zane says: Jul 1, 2010 12:04 PM

“then he will be the starting WR in burgundy and gold…HAIL!”
    We both know Shanahan has a boner for this guy. He can & probably will get the suspension reduced, but as I see it, this does decrease his trade value… I’d swap out Thomas & Kelly for Jackson in a heartbeat.

15. Stuart Scotts left eye says: Jul 1, 2010 12:05 PM

@ashwartz
    It would pretty much take an entire draft (rds 1-4) to land those 3 guys including another player, maybe someone like Davin Joseph. As a Charger fan, I’d take that trade but it would be way too much for the Buccs.

16. Turd_Spelunker says: Jul 1, 2010 12:20 PM

First and foremost, I am a Charger fan. I don’t want the guy on my team. As someone that has lost loved ones multiple times, and once almost killed by a drunk driver myself, to me, getting a DUI twice is an indication of a serious mental issue.
    Second, the guy kicks the football in the Jets playoff game. I didn’t like that much and the Bolts don’t need him that bad. Sure, he might be worth a win or two, but life is not only about wins and losses. I am not prepared to be a VJ fan. Put a guy out there that cares about other human beings other than himself.

17. TheBengal13 says: Jul 1, 2010 12:29 PM

Stillerz — Who will you be dominating by week 5 and with whom QBing? Leftwich? Doubtful. Brace yourself for a 6-10 season in 2010 and a 2011 top-10 pick for the Tittsburgh Degenerates.
    Wonka — You’re a mongoloid. Let the Moley-face’s suspension go. Whether you think it’s fair or not, he’s suspended at least a month. Deal with it.
    P.S. EVERYBODY knows that he raped those girls. You’re an absolute dope if you think he didn’t.

18. nflhof says: Jul 1, 2010 12:35 PM

Looks like the Bengals will soon be interested in VJ.

19. phildo says: Jul 1, 2010 12:37 PM

make the suspension the final games of the year, not the first.. much more impactful

20. bigbolt says: Jul 1, 2010 12:39 PM

AJ Smith would rather win the pissing contest, keep Jackson and let him sit out all year then leave in free agency with no compensation….just to attempt to prove a point than actually trade the guy and get a draft pick (s)/player(s) that could help the organization. AJ’s ego is far more important to him than the well being of the franchise.

21. smarter than yous says: Jul 1, 2010 12:42 PM

Hey The Bengals13, you win one division and then get bounced in the first round of the playoff and you start talking about how the steelers are going to go 6-10. i would worry about your own team and obviously everyone doesn’t know he raped the girls or else this would be a different situation. way to be an american and believe in the constitution.

22. Ray Guy says: Jul 1, 2010 12:45 PM

What about Brett Favre? How does he fit in? (sarcasm)

23. smithopher says: Jul 1, 2010 1:23 PM

@ stillerz – The Steelers aren’t about to dominate anything this season, The Ravens are about to trash them twice and The Bengals will probably smack that ass at least once too… then there’s out of division! Jets, Patriots, Dolphins just from the AFC East! I expect The Steelers to miss out on the playoffs for a second straight season.

24. Branephood says: Jul 1, 2010 1:41 PM

He is officially a perfect candidate to join the bottom feeders of the NFC East! HAIL lmao

25. CKL says: Jul 1, 2010 1:55 PM

3 games? Disgusting. Should have gotten 4. I hope he doesn’t get to serve it while already out during his refusal to sign the tender.

26. biggs13 says: Jul 1, 2010 2:03 PM

So the Dolphins are thugs when they get DUIs but the Chargers aren’t?
    Phin Hater!

27. Siggy00 says: Jul 1, 2010 2:09 PM

Three convictions, two for DUI = 3 games.
    No charges = 6 games.
    Goodell needs to resign.
    Jared Allen’s DUI’s is of no relevance. As soon as GOD suspended an uncharged player 6 games the barometers were set and the rules changed.
    Jackson should have gotten 8 games, if not more.

28. EverybodyGotAIDS says: Jul 1, 2010 2:30 PM

Siggy00 says:
    July 1, 2010 2:09 PM
    Three convictions, two for DUI = 3 games.
    No charges = 6 games.
    Goodell needs to resign.
    Jackson should have gotten 8 games, if not more.
    _____________________
    No charges for DUI = 6 games? No. No charges for RAPE. Also, incase you weren’t aware, the NFL has their own investigators, and they looked into the situation. Just because there wasn’t enough evidence to obtain a conviction and because Roethlisberger paid/intimidated the girl into dropping the charges doesn’t mean the NFL needs to take that into account. They went off the facts, not the facts admissible in court.

29. Stone Steps says: Jul 1, 2010 2:34 PM

As long as Rivers is throwing the ball, the Bolts can and will win without VJ. He’ll be average with a normal QB.

30. stiller43 says: Jul 1, 2010 3:07 PM

So how does this effect him?
    If he shows up week 10 to get the mandatory 6 games for the year of service…is he still suspended for three of those games?
    So he would show up for the last six, but only end up playing in 3 and any resulting playoff games? (assuming he doesn’t get his yearly DUI the week of the upcoming playoff game)

31. AlphaQ2 says: Jul 1, 2010 3:10 PM

I don’t understand Chargers fans that have beef with AJ Smith. Granted I’m a Skins fan and live in Northern VA, so I am not familiar with all the ins and outs or his ego.
    All I can say is that I envy how well your organization has been run. The Chargers are perenially in the playoff hunt and the players know not to mess with the FO. From what I understand about the situation, AJ will either make an example of Jackson or he will get a first rounder for him. Seems like a really solid decision to me. Wish the Skins had a guy like AJ the last decade. Hopefully Bruce Allen will turn things around.

32. salty says: Jul 1, 2010 3:23 PM

Somebody take this loser so the Chargers can move on. We have other great receivers on this team. What we need is a high draft choice to stay strong for the future.

33. Bdrunk says: Jul 1, 2010 3:54 PM

smithopher says:
    July 1, 2010 1:23 PM
    The Ravens are about to trash them twice and The Bengals will probably smack that ass at least once too… then there’s out of division! Jets, Patriots, Dolphins just from the AFC East! I expect The Steelers to miss out on the playoffs for a second straight season.”
    ————————-
    FREAKY! Some bungles fan earlier was saying the SAME THING!?!?! Except he said that the BUNGLES would sweep and the Ravens would only win one!! (Between you and I, I think the Ravens are better than the Bungs despite their bad luck against them, but Shhhh don’t tell!) I really wish all these PFT pro- analysts would get their stories straight and tell me who’s going to win the super bowl this year.

34. lanjoith says: Jul 1, 2010 4:26 PM

It will be reduced to 1 game on appeal.

35. picksixbolts says: Jul 1, 2010 4:37 PM

I could not agree more with AlphaQ2. I’ve been a die hard fan of all San Diego sports since birth. I will agree with some of you whom post when saying that Chargers have one of the most bandwagon’s there is . When the Bolts where 1 – 16 i was still there. Now i remember very well those days and ever since the late John Butler and his sidekick AJ came to town we’ve been contenders every year. I may not agree with every move AJ makes, but i do know that it is a business, and if i ran a business i wouldn’t want a soft push over (General) Manager. As far as VJ he is
    a natural talent, ive enjoyed the years with him on my team, but its not looking like he is gonna budge and i will bet that AJ sure as hell wont budge. so i hope that SD can get some value for him.

36. Siggy00 says: Jul 1, 2010 6:43 PM

“Also, incase you weren’t aware, the NFL has their own investigators, and they looked into the situation”
    And Goodell said in his letter that his opinion didn’t differ from Fred Bright’s, who said they didn’t even have probable cause to arrest Ben.
    So the NFL investigators had to think Ben was innocent, or there is no way, he would have got 4-6, it would have been more.
    Roethlisberger paid no one. No need. There was no DNA, no proof of sexual intercourse period, and a negative rape kit.
    You stick to fiction, I’ll stick to facts.

37. CutlerIsACryBaby says: Jul 1, 2010 7:13 PM

get him out of the AFC West! ;)

38. FREE PALESTINE says: Jul 1, 2010 7:57 PM

Does his 3 game suspension start from week one regardless of if he signs his tender? or only once he is under contract does it commence?

39. aschwartz says: Jul 1, 2010 10:38 PM

@Stuart Scotts Left Eye
    First of all great name
    As far as that trade, that is essentially what I put
    Conditional First Round- Chances are the pick will be in the top 10 so it would roll over to 2012 and you would get an aditional 3rd. The 2012 pick is lickely to be in the top 10 as well (I am a big bucs fan but I realize we are probably at least a few years from contention)…
    So it would be
    2011 2nd (Likely near the top of the 2nd)
    2011 3rd (Likely near the top of the 3rd)
    2012 1st (Likely near the top of the 1st)
    Penn (Tendered at the highest level as a top end left tackle)
    For
    Jackson
    McNeill
    Merriman
    Like I said, not going to happen, but what you said and what I said werent that different. I would even throw in (read throw out) Clayton lol

40. The Bee's Knees says: Jul 2, 2010 12:16 AM

Stone Steps says:
    July 1, 2010 2:34 PM
    ___________________________________
    Couldn’t agree with you more. The Chargers are great run team, with a great QB, a solid 2WR and a Probowl TE. Vincent Jackson is just along for the ride. If he truly was a good WR he would have made more with what he had.

41. The Bee's Knees says: Jul 2, 2010 12:23 AM

AlphaQ2 says:
    July 1, 2010 3:10 PM
    ___________________________________
    AJ Smith does have an ego, much like Al Davis, however the Charges actually win games. However, a lot of their success is credited to an extremely weak division. AJ Smith also has a problem of managing his franchise players (doesn’t hold on to Brees/Turner and holds LT a little too long when he could have traded him earlier for top dollar) I guess heinz site is 20-20 though.
    Anyways the Redskins aren’t all that bad, they are in a tough devision and w/o a franchise QB its impossible for a team to CONSISTENTLY appear in the playoffs. You guys just constantly missed much like the other 3/4 of NFL teams)

42. The Bee's Knees says: Jul 2, 2010 12:24 AM