Mr. Irrelevant signs contract live on NFL Network

2010 Mr. Irrelevant Tim Toone, selected by the Lions just over two months ago with the 255th overall pick in the draft, appeared on NFL Network’s Total Access program Friday night and did something unique.

Toone — who resembles a Rastafarian version of ESPN’s Trent Dilfer — signed his three-year rookie contract live on the air.
“I don’t know what I just signed,” Toone said, admitting he didn’t even read the contract before signing.  “I don’t know how much I’m getting paid.  I don’t know what my signing bonus is.  But it’s kind of irrelevant, right?”
We appreciate Toone’s sense of humor, but the numerous speeches he listened to heard at the Rookie Symposium apparently flew directly over the former Weber State star’s dread-locked head.

UPDATE:  We’re told that Toone’s agent, Brett Tessler, was on the set with the player and that Toone was “being playful” when he suggested that he didn’t know what he had signed.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
42 Responses to “Mr. Irrelevant signs contract live on NFL Network”
  1. jackers252 says: Jul 2, 2010 9:24 PM

Or maybe he was just joking?

2. Jon Evans says: Jul 2, 2010 9:25 PM

and if you actually take his full quote “my agent knows everything thats in it” yadada.. no story.
    grats for getting a contract

3. tdowdy11 says: Jul 2, 2010 9:30 PM

YAY!!!!! My life is complete now!

4. rovibe says: Jul 2, 2010 9:35 PM

They say the key to making the roster as a rookie is contributing on special teams. I wonder if designated driver for the team president would qualify as a special teams spot? Seems he could make an immediate contribution there.

5. digitalbath says: Jul 2, 2010 9:39 PM

again way to take a tiny piece of what a guy says,just so you can add your 2 cents[which isnt worth a used packet of ketchup]

6. formerly dystopianow says: Jul 2, 2010 9:49 PM

Superbowl!

7. FumbleNuts says: Jul 2, 2010 9:54 PM

“I don’t know what I just signed,” Toone said, admitting he didn’t even read the contract before signing. “I don’t know how much I’m getting paid. I don’t know what my signing bonus is.
    Where do these idiots come from?

8. Phlyin reallll high says: Jul 2, 2010 9:59 PM

Hey do you guys remember Mr. Irrelevant with the dreadlocks?
    –The world 2 years from now

9. mnmaverick says: Jul 2, 2010 10:05 PM

Sounds like the libs who have protested about an immigration law they haven’t read.

10. Raidersmojo says: Jul 2, 2010 10:06 PM

fumblenuts
    it’s a good name, because its obvious you have no idea when someone is being sarcastic.
    nice joke by the way rovibe, that was funny. Seriously.

11. blmonroe12 says: Jul 2, 2010 10:22 PM

Great interview… Seems like a happy go lucky pot-head who’s really enjoying the experience and not taking himself too seriously… I’ll be pulling for the guy..

12. timegambit says: Jul 2, 2010 10:24 PM

He’ll probably be working in the Lions front office soon.

13. Seattlefan12 says: Jul 2, 2010 10:25 PM

Mr. Irrelevant? I think he is more than that, he just signed with an NFL team. I don’t think that is very irrelevant. Obviously I think he has way more talent than you. Anyone can write a crap story! I can write the same thing thing without a college degree.

14. MagicMan407 says: Jul 2, 2010 10:28 PM

Are the Chargers trading Vincent Jackson? Redskins? or Seahawks?

15. steveinohio says: Jul 2, 2010 10:39 PM

that is funny. I’m rooting for the kid.

16. efangule says: Jul 2, 2010 10:41 PM

Championship!

17. Bradenton Buc says: Jul 2, 2010 10:43 PM

Mr Irrelevant 2009 was a very productive kicker for the KC Chiefs last year. It can happen.

18. TFBuckFutter says: Jul 2, 2010 10:55 PM

Jesus.
    Why does every random writer on this site not take the time to state the player in question’s position?
    And also, we get it…..he’s black. You don’t need to keep commenting on his dreads and his resemblance to Bob Marley.

19. mattSTAFFORDwillSAVEus says: Jul 2, 2010 11:26 PM

Ummmmm , no , actually he’s white.

20. afogg0855 says: Jul 2, 2010 11:49 PM

This guy is clearly HIGH if he thinks hes gonna step right in and be a slot receiver who can be looked to on 3rd down and take pressure off of Calvin Johnson.
    maybe he shoulda said something more along the lines of, “I’m really just trying to show the coaches that I’m worth a spot on the roster and I’ll do anything I can to help us win”
    RASTAFARIIIIII MY BROTHA

21. Philtration says: Jul 3, 2010 12:12 AM

I thought this was going to be a story about Tarvaris Jackson.

22. keithcash says: Jul 3, 2010 12:16 AM

I think its safe to say you’re the only one who commented on him being black, buckfutter.

23. FumbleNuts says: Jul 3, 2010 12:24 AM

# Raidersmojo says: July 2, 2010 10:06 PM
    fumblenuts
    nice joke by the way rovibe, that was funny. Seriously.
    If you can’t tell I was being sarcastic as well ………… then too bad.
    Good luck, 4-12 this year.

24. Sociofan says: Jul 3, 2010 12:26 AM

Folks, looking at the WR competition on the Lions’ roster…there is a good chance this kid could make the team…as the #3/slot receiver. You get beyond Calvin Johnson and maybe Nate Burleson, there doesn’t look to be any guaranteed names on the books.
    Best of luck to the Rahsta-toone.

25. Sociofan says: Jul 3, 2010 12:33 AM

Best of luck to the Rahsta-toone.

26. SethGecko says: Jul 3, 2010 1:07 AM

White kids with dreadlocks don’t usually turn out to be good football players, but i have HIGH hopes that he will he achieve his HIGH goals this season and…….. u get the joke right? He likes to smoke weed!!!! Good for him, hope he makes the team.

27. ClownBurger says: Jul 3, 2010 1:10 AM

HAHAHA! Floria really thought he hadn’t read the contract!
    The sports media are SO GULLABLE!

28. Onderin says: Jul 3, 2010 1:30 AM

THAT’S MY BOY TOONE! GO GET’EM IN THE NFL!!!

29. robert ethen says: Jul 3, 2010 2:03 AM

What’s the odds he answers to “Looney” in the locker room?

30. flavordave says: Jul 3, 2010 7:14 AM

Did he have to bring coffee and doughnuts too?

31. GiantsDefenseRules says: Jul 3, 2010 8:39 AM

Fantasy owners rejoice!!! Tim Toone can be drafted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Time to re-do the depth chartys and rankings!!

32. OC Dave says: Jul 3, 2010 9:52 AM

@ mnmaverick

33. OC Dave says: Jul 3, 2010 10:01 AM

@ mnmaverick
    This is a sports column, not a political form. Save your Fox news views for other arenas were you can spew your anger and ignorance.
    Good luck Tim Toone.

34. simple_simon1 says: Jul 3, 2010 11:26 AM

Good for you Toone. People need to take a pill and understand when somebody is joking. Even if he doesn’t end up making the final roster, what a sweet experience for this young man. I find it funny how many of these so called “Mr Irrelevant” players have actually made teams in the end. Seems every year Mr Irrelevant actually makes it. Good luck to you Toone. As a Lions fan seeing a team moving quickly in the right direction since Millen was fired, best wishes.

35. db3300 says: Jul 3, 2010 12:29 PM

As Anthony Bourdain said, if you’re not Jamaican or you’re just some rich white kid and you have dreadlocks, you look like a f***ing idiot.

36. Paulitik says: Jul 3, 2010 12:50 PM

@mmaverick Ironic, kind of like all you teabaggers who’ve never actually read the constitution.

37. Rory426 says: Jul 3, 2010 1:32 PM

Wow Florio. Hook, Line, Sinker.

38. winslow says: Jul 3, 2010 1:36 PM

# db3300 says: July 3, 2010 12:29 PM
    Not necessarily. You could be Bo Derek, in which case you look someone well worth f***king.

39. Raidersmojo says: Jul 3, 2010 1:37 PM

Fumblenuts
    No, you weren’t being sarcastic or you wouldn’t of responded acting all butt hurt.
    Nice dig on my team, it was real original. ;)

40. funi says: Jul 3, 2010 2:27 PM

Dude, I got the munchies for cheeto’s now…. Duuude….

41. dewalt2990 says: Jul 3, 2010 2:39 PM

1st team all big sky. he’s accomplished more than anyone commenting.

42. SnydersLapDog says: Jul 3, 2010 7:17 PM

Have any of the negative commenters actually WATCHED the video segment? This kid is great! He’s embraced the whole Mr Irrelevant thing, he’s clearly having a great time and when Rich congratulates him, you see the genuine humbleness. He appreciates being drafted. I have no doubt he’ll bust his butt and make the team. Good luck to him !