Ryan Mathews promises he won't hold out

Last year’s No. 12 overall pick, Broncos running back Knowshon Moreno, didn’t sign his rookie contract until about two weeks into training camp.  Seven days after signing, Moreno suffered a sprained MCL in Denver’s preseason opener and missed the next three weeks of practice.

This year’s No. 12 overall pick, Chargers tailback Ryan Mathews, vows to not walk in Moreno’s footsteps.
“My main thing is to get into camp as soon as possible,” Mathews told Nick Canepa of the San Diego Union-Tribune.  “I’ve talked to my agent; I need to be there.  Too many guys hold out for all the wrong reasons and I’m not going to be one of them.”
Chargers rookies are scheduled to report July 25th.
Canepa’s piece on Mathews could be construed as something of a puff piece, entitled “Chargers’ Mathews not likely to go bad” and aimed at pumping up the 2009 NCAA rushing leader’s character.  Canepa, though, is not known for approaching his columns with rose-colored glasses.  After all, he made no bones about predicting two Januaries ago that franchise icon LaDainian Tomlinson would be released.  The Chargers and L.T. ultimately agreed to a restructured contract, but Canepa’s bold forecast — even a year too early — showed that he is not afraid to make predictions that defy popular opinion.
According to Canepa, Mathews has his “head squarely on his shoulders,” “takes everything seriously,” and “was not overwhelmed” during minicamp season.  It sounds like the Chargers have a keeper.
Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
21 Responses to “Ryan Mathews promises he won't hold out”
  1. onesweetworld says: Jul 3, 2010 3:21 PM

Has there ever been a rookie that promised TO hold out???

2. ShimSham says: Jul 3, 2010 3:22 PM

B.J Raji promised the same thing last year. Granted, Raji didn’t want to hold out, but often times these things are out of the players’ hands.

3. bgdabengal says: Jul 3, 2010 3:26 PM

onesweetworld says:
    July 3, 2010 3:21 PM
    Has there ever been a rookie that promised TO hold out???
    ____________________________
    LOL!.. but yes, sadly there has.

4. SwedishMurderMachine says: Jul 3, 2010 3:35 PM

You better not hold out yr on my FF team. And when you play for The Asshats you play to win.

5. Draft King says: Jul 3, 2010 3:44 PM

Unsigned and holding out are two different things, though the term “hold out” is often used for draft picks that haven’t yet come to terms with the team that selected them by the time training camp starts.
    Emmitt Smith in 1993 for the first two weeks of the season — that’s a holdout. A team and a player’s agent being in a protracted negotiation seems entirely different to me.

6. jermely says: Jul 3, 2010 3:49 PM

OMFG!
    An article by Evan Silva where AFC West teams are mentioned and theres no jab at the Raiders? :O

7. robert ethen says: Jul 3, 2010 4:26 PM

So we can assume that Canepa will ultimately be right about Mathews signing his contract. Just a year early.

8. rovibe says: Jul 3, 2010 4:30 PM

ShimSham says:
    July 3, 2010 3:22 PM
    ——— No they’re not. Ultimately, it’s the agent who works for the player. The player can decide at any time to sign a contract his agent might be advising against.

9. J-oh says: Jul 3, 2010 4:35 PM

I call BS. It’s in the dolts players nature to hold out.

10. nflhof says: Jul 3, 2010 5:14 PM

Canepa is usually a good NFL read.

11. Buckyball says: Jul 3, 2010 5:34 PM

He didn’t say he wouldn’t hold out… he said he wouldn’t be one of those players that hold out for all the wrong reasons.

12. edgy says: Jul 3, 2010 7:09 PM

I couldn’t help but laugh my ass off. I’m reminded of Eugene Robinson getting the Bart Starr award for high moral character and then getting arrested for soliciting a prostitute. You can never know what these guys really are like and you can speculate all you want about how great the guy is but so many of them learn at an early age about saying the right thing that you don’t know if they really mean what they say.
    I think it’s funny that someone makes a big deal about the guy saying that he doesn’t plan on holding out when none of these guys are going to say that they’re planning on holding out. What’s next – Jake First Rounder says that he doesn’t plan on beating his girlfriend…. :)

13. Trips Right, 68 Slant, D Slant says: Jul 3, 2010 11:08 PM

SwedishMurderMachine,
    Sounds like you’re playing in the SBMVP Dynasty Fantasy Football League
    ‘Nation……………..

14. Sourdough says: Jul 3, 2010 11:58 PM

@Trips Right…How can you call it a “nation” when the Raiders couldn’t even fill their stadium and were dead LAST in home attendance for 2009 and second to last in 2008!?!
    Puff, puff, pass loser

15. AcidSoda says: Jul 4, 2010 12:29 AM

At Sourdough,
    It’s called a nation because of the fan base, I’m curious about the team you root for…Not enough fans? it’s ok bro.

16. Trips Right, 68 Slant, D Slant says: Jul 4, 2010 2:06 AM

Well well well. If it isn’t none other than SOUR-BRO himself.
    What’s up peasant? Speaking of peasants, we just saw the likes of your kind a few hours ago at ‘Medieval Times’ in Hanover, MD tending to the horses of the valiant knights. Good work lad or should I say load? One day you’ll work your way up to table-waiter.
    You’d probably be better off worrying about your ‘bolts and their wino receiver. Or is it more than one on the team?
    And you calling me “loser…….” Surely you jest. Right? On the contrary my lil’ squire.
    Per Merriam-Webster:
    Main Entry: sour•bro
    Pronunciation: \ˈsau̇(-ə)r-ˌbrō\
    Date: 1548
    1: a person or thing that loses especially consistently
    2: a person who is incompetent or unable to succeed; also: something doomed to fail or disappoint
    The gospel according to the lexicon…… Please don’t disappoint your calling.
    Happy 4th’………CHUMP!
    ‘Nation…….

17. Sourdough says: Jul 4, 2010 12:11 PM

@Trips: Why can’t you answer my simple question? Is it really that difficult to come up with an answer as to why the Raiders can’t fill a stadium? Or do you actually possess a bit of common sense that tells you the Raiders have become the laughing stock of the NFL and even their fans have acknowledged as much by choosing to not support their team? Honestly how can you call it a ‘nation’ when the Raiders can’t fill their home stadium!?! Average attendance in 2009: 44,284. Those are second tier college football attendance figures, not those of a successful NFL team. The myth of the “nation” is debunked with nothing more than a simple search on Google. I think you’ve gone bananas. You can’t fool me with your ‘nation’ talk, chimp.
    Happy Fourth of July!
    ~Sourdough

18. Trips Right, 68 Slant, D Slant says: Jul 4, 2010 11:39 PM

Sour-Bro,
    Don’t make me reveal to all just how ignorant you truly are. I’ve saved links to your tired-ass rants not only from this ‘site but from others as well. Don’t have me post them.
    #1. You continue to emphasize stadium attendance. And for how long have we been NOT filling stadiums? Has it ever occurred to your shallow ass that the ‘Nation was sending a personal message to the front office via non-attendance about their disdain for the product that has been put out on the field since our ’03 Superbowl? By the way; when is the last time you guys were in the S-word? Oh… That’s right – the last time Sand Diego and Superbowl were used in the same sentence is when we lost to the ‘Bucs in San Diego. 1995? 1995? A scull dragging by the boys across the bay. DAAAMMNNNNNN (Chris Tucker Style – ‘Friday’ – Oh shit… That debuted the same year). I was a U.S. Army Detailed Recruiter in Santa Monica way back then. Damn that was ages ago (brings back several memories). So shut the (with a long E) hell up.
    #2. I gives less than a damn about some crummy attendance with the price of tickets, the advent of NFL Sunday Ticket, and the state of this economy. I am not moved one iota by a black-out game. So what. I’ve lived in a plethora of countries, cities, states, and counties throughout a 21 year military career (Infantry – Hooah), and there is one constant with the locals (from Gelnhausen, Germany to Bosnia-Herzegovina to Dongduchon, South Korea to Fort Riley, Kansas – Junction City to Fort Hood, Texas – Killeen): The Silver & Black fan loyalty and following run far deeper than your frothy pie-hole will ever know. No….. You can’t possibly fathom this fact. And your children never will either (as they’ll be reared by your illiterate ass).
    Yes I’m black; but your little “monkey” reference is lame. We all know that you lack the balls to walk into your local mall and say that in person to a person of color (it would be ‘lights-out’… period – I’m quite sure you’re familiar with that reference).
    Put an end to your useless rhetoric, and brace for this country-ass-stomping the ‘Raiders are about to put on your boys from Friars Road.
    ‘Nation….. Says the “Monkey” – Ooohh Ooohhh, Ahhh Ahhhh. Ooohh Ohhh, Ahhhh Ahhhh. Belcchhh (my bad… it was the banana)!

19. FiveFiveNine says: Jul 6, 2010 1:46 PM

“According to Canepa, Mathews has his ‘head squarely on his shoulders,’ ‘takes everything seriously,’ and ‘was not overwhelmed’ during minicamp season. It sounds like the Chargers have a keeper.”
    Of course, he’s the next great product of the Central Valley

20. JoGa20 says: Jul 8, 2010 6:19 PM

@Trips Right… Decent post but what I want to know is how any self respecting military man such as yourself comes on here bragging about going to “Medieval Times” and then pretends to be some English fairy… Using words like “Peasant, Valiant Knights, Lad and Table Water” World of Warcraft crap is on another site Faider fan.
    “Commitment to Consistency!”
    0 – Losses by Chargers vs. Raiders in almost 7 years, since Sept. 28, 2003
    OUCH!

21. Trips Right, 68 Slant, D Slant says: Jul 9, 2010 11:14 PM

JoGa20,
    Yo! Corny-Ass! Who in hell was “bragging?”
    I apologize that I had just come from taking my six-year old daughter there. If you call a small venue like ‘Medivial Times’ something to brag about; then you really must not get out often.
    I apologize that Sour-Bro has been talking out of his ass while expressing his opinion to me.
    I apologize that you apparently don’t know the difference between waiter and water.
    And I definitely apologize that you can’t express your “issues” with me in person.
    My advice; GET A LIFE or A CLUE or BOTH
    ‘Nation………….
    P.S. If you’re that sensative; you’d get eaten-up alive at my Fire-House and Department (By our females).