5-year-old scolds Brandon Marshall at football camp

It isn’t an NFL offseason without a little Brandon Marshall drama.

Hosting a football camp Friday morning, Marshall was overseeing a tackle drill station when he received lip from five-year-old camper Nicholas “Manmar” Roman.
Get out of my face,” Roman told Marshall, apparently unimpressed with the opportunity to share the same football field with a star NFL receiver.  Marshall had been attempting to calm down Roman and teach him a three-point stance.
Roman ran off, and Marshall sprinted after him before picking up the pint-sized toddler and slinging him over his shoulder.  The conflict was squashed.
“It’s about giving back,” Marshall explained as to the reasoning for his football camp in Orlando.  Marshall is an Orlando native.  “I’ve been gone [in Denver] for a couple of years, but it’s like I never left.  I just wanted to get back and show my face and be a part of the community where I did my thing just like these kids here.”
Marshall co-hosted the camp with fellow former University Central Florida players Mike Sims-Walker, Kevin Smith, and Darcy Johnson.
Permalink 62 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
62 Responses to “5-year-old scolds Brandon Marshall at football camp”
  1. Gunther69 says: Jul 4, 2010 5:01 PM

His parents should be very proud. Classy.

2. robert ethen says: Jul 4, 2010 5:03 PM

The conflict was quashed, but still Marshall was careful when leaving the facility afterwards. Looking up and down the street and checking the parked cars before emerging.

3. max says: Jul 4, 2010 5:04 PM

Wow. Slow day in the newsroom.

4. PFTiswhatitis says: Jul 4, 2010 5:10 PM

A gansta in the making.

5. WTF??? says: Jul 4, 2010 5:10 PM

@MAX. Wack articles all ….day… long. lol

6. BigBear123 says: Jul 4, 2010 5:12 PM

The kid has a link to the Vick brothers somehow…

7. edgy says: Jul 4, 2010 5:12 PM

I think that the little asshole is coming along quite well and is getting ready for the 2029 Draft Combine.

8. BeaverThomas says: Jul 4, 2010 5:13 PM

Thanks for posting………..something. Really.

9. The Bee's Knees says: Jul 4, 2010 5:13 PM

Until they noticed the erection Brandon Marshall sprouted while carrying the 5 year old boy…

10. rovibe says: Jul 4, 2010 5:14 PM

Brandon Marshall should have slapped some respect into that boy, lest he turn out to be another Brandon Marshall.

11. misterj says: Jul 4, 2010 5:16 PM

Um. This kid is 5 years old. His most complicated thought ever is probably “I LOVE CANDY”

12. funi says: Jul 4, 2010 5:17 PM

Child ABUSE!!

13. Jon Evans says: Jul 4, 2010 5:19 PM

The picture is hilarious on the news site.. hahaha
    Anyway, If that was Michael Vick we would be hearing 20 pages about possible child abuse, violation of parole, and 20 other illogical things.

14. ICEWALKER says: Jul 4, 2010 5:21 PM

A 5 year old talking to an adult like that? What can little “Manmar” take from a ‘role model’?
    A future WR?
    According to Orlando-Orange County public records (case 48-2004-MM-012392-O), on Halloween 2004, while a student at UCF, Marshall was arrested in Orlando on charges of assault on a law enforcement officer, refusal to obey, disorderly conduct and resisting an officer.
    On January 1, 2007, Marshall was present at “The Shelter,” a nightclub in Denver, Colorado, along with teammates Javon Walker and Darrent Williams. The trio was attending a birthday party held for and by Denver Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin. As the players were leaving the club in a limousine, Williams was fatally shot in the neck after an unknown assailant opened fire on the vehicle. Willie Clark was later charged with the murder. Walker has stated in interviews that the shooter was likely a nightclub patron whose motive was retaliation after being involved in an altercation with Marshall’s cousin earlier that night.
    On March 26, 2007, Marshall was arrested in the Highlands Ranch suburb of Denver on suspicion of domestic violence after his girlfriend reported that following a domestic dispute, Marshall prevented a taxi she was in from leaving his house. Charges from the incident were later dismissed on May 25, 2007, after Marshall completed anger management counseling.
    In the early morning of October 22, 2007, Marshall was arrested in the Denver-Aurora metropolitan area at the intersection of 14th and Blake St. for driving under the influence of alcohol. A trial was scheduled for September 16, but Marshall instead agreed to a plea bargain four days earlier; he pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of driving while ability impaired. He was sentenced to one-year probation and 24 hours of community service.
    On June 12, 2008, Marshall was ticketed for an illegal lane change, then found to be without his license and proof of insurance. The case was eventually dropped as part of a plea bargain for the October 22, 2007 driving incident involving alcohol.
    According to an article published in the Rocky Mountain News on July 28, 2008, Douglas County deputies fielded “about 11″ calls to Marshall’s home since January 2006. The article stated that one call resulted in Marshall being arrested (the March 26, 2007 domestic dispute), and some did not involve him at all.
    A September 17, 2008 article on CompleteColorado.com stated that the solicitor’s office in Fulton County, Georgia filed misdemeanor battery charges on September 10 for an alleged incident on March 4, 2008, in Atlanta, Georgia. Marshall was booked on March 6, then released the next day after posting a $1,000 cash bond. The case was assigned to Judge John Mather in Georgia state court. On August 14, 2009, a jury in Atlanta found Marshall not guilty.
    On March 1, 2009, Marshall was arrested in Atlanta for disorderly conduct after allegedly being involved in a fight with his fiancee, Michi Nogami-Campbell. Marshall was released on a $300 bond. The charges were dropped the following day.
    Great guy to have molding youngsters.

15. nesto says: Jul 4, 2010 5:23 PM

“It isn’t an NFL offseason without a little Brandon Marshall drama.”
    PFT AKA 2ND HAND NEWS SITE = DRAMA QUEENS
    Why are ya’ll trying to make Marshall look bad?

16. Mitch says: Jul 4, 2010 5:27 PM

By posting garbage like this you make PFT a completely useless forum. What a pathetic attempt to paint Brandon Marshall in a negative light while trying to do something good in the community. Why don’t you just stop posting anything at all about the Dolphins since all you morons want to do is hate on them.
    Just report all the positives going on in NY and tell us about the wonderful things that Lawrence Taylor and Plaxico are doing in the community.

17. FumbleNuts says: Jul 4, 2010 5:31 PM

“Get out of my face,” Roman told Marshall.
    Sounds like a mini Josh McDaniels.

18. ICEWALKER says: Jul 4, 2010 5:44 PM

Mr. Marshall paints himself in a negative light all by himself. PFT doesn’t need to do anything.
    Besides, where in the whole article does it say Marshall is bad? Show one item. Come on, we’re waiting.
    Look at his legal troubles from his past. He’s a bad man.

19. DEMOLITION says: Jul 4, 2010 6:15 PM

Cool story bro. It’s 4th of July. Relax. Toss a couple hotdogs down your throat. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it Evan.

20. nesto says: Jul 4, 2010 6:15 PM

Reread what I quoted to see how
    How did he paint himself in a negative way now?
    Show me where? Come on, we’re waiting. GTFO
    Damn, I forgot. Nevermind! No one deserves a 2nd chance in live.

21. Ripp says: Jul 4, 2010 6:25 PM

ICEWALKER, Marshall is trying to turn is life around and he should be given credit for that. The only way someone can redeem them self is to be given a chance to. Perfect example is Bret Favre, Michael Irvin and Ricky Williams or even better yet look at Ted Kennedy. I have a friend who has been in and out of jail because of drugs and he has always been bothered by the past. I told him you can’t control what you did in the past because its already done but you still can decided what kind of man you will be in the future. He has stayed out of any kind of trouble for five years now and counting. Applaud Marshall for the effort he is putting forth and I wish they guy all the luck in the world.

22. rpiotr01 says: Jul 4, 2010 6:35 PM

I hear tell Brett Favre and this kid have been working out together.

23. LincolnHawk says: Jul 4, 2010 6:40 PM

At least Marshall didn’t punt the kid across the field, making it harder for the parents to collect him.

24. jibfest says: Jul 4, 2010 6:44 PM

Kid’s 40 time please? it’s never too early to scout possible NFL talent.
    Nicholas “Manmar” Roman: Poor technique.
    Doesn’t open his hips up at the point of impact, doesn’t mesh well with teammates, coaches.

25. HereThere says: Jul 4, 2010 6:44 PM

That sniveling brat’s parents should’ve pulled him off the field to teach him a little humility.

26. PurpleJesus says: Jul 4, 2010 6:50 PM

More hard hitting journalism by PFT. Bravo boys, keep up the good work.

27. winslow says: Jul 4, 2010 7:01 PM

If this conflict ends in fisticuffs, I expect Marshall to take the kid out with one punch. Has the anti-social little tot signed with Cincinnati yet?

28. royale2k100 says: Jul 4, 2010 7:05 PM

Wow it looks like Marshall finally got it from someone that shares his diva-esque mentality….

29. bigbolt says: Jul 4, 2010 7:24 PM

Manmar Haynesworth

30. nuclearwarfare says: Jul 4, 2010 7:27 PM

The only reason I read this article was because, seeing that it was an Evan Silva article, I anticipated some sort of unrelated Raider remark at the end.
    “And somewhere in Oakland, there’s an NFL owner with the mind of a 5 year old that wouldn’t mind having Marshall on his NFL team.”

31. numberfour says: Jul 4, 2010 7:35 PM

i knew i’d seen that kid before.
    champagne doesnt stand a chance.

32. iusedtobeteddybayer says: Jul 4, 2010 7:36 PM

“They children, Kramer!”

33. ICEWALKER says: Jul 4, 2010 7:47 PM

Ripp says:
    July 4, 2010 6:25 PM
    He has stayed out of any kind of trouble for five years now and counting.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    On March 1, 2009, Marshall was ARRESTED in Atlanta for disorderly conduct after allegedly being involved in a fight with his fiancee, Michi Nogami-Campbell. Marshall was released on a $300 bond. The charges were dropped the following day.
    Funny, that’s not even 2 years.
    =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
    nesto says:
    July 4, 2010 6:15 PM
    How did he paint himself in a negative way now?
    Show me where? Come on, we’re waiting. GTFO
    Damn, I forgot. Nevermind! No one deserves a 2nd chance in live.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++
    2nd chance? He’s been in trouble SINCE 2004. He’s been arrested or involved with crime SEVEN times since then (at least via Wikipedia).
    Look, I’m not one to judge. That is for others to do. All I did was bring facts to the conversation. (Although I did call him ‘a bad man’. Sorry)

34. pramis123 says: Jul 4, 2010 8:04 PM

That’s how we roll in Miami….

35. dieharddolfan6493 says: Jul 4, 2010 8:09 PM

kids will be kids i remember when i was a kid i met larry little and i wasnt impressed at all but now that im older i think to myself, holy crap i met larry little lol

36. PurpleRaid12 says: Jul 4, 2010 8:26 PM

I’m “unmpressed” with this article…

37. NYJALLFINGDAY says: Jul 4, 2010 8:32 PM

Jesus Christ.
    Brandon Marshall is scum, very talented scum sure, but he didn’t even do anything wrong here. The kid is 5, he could have been having a tantrum over lack of chocolate. The worst he did was fling the kid on his shoulder, but hey, i’ve seen worse in the NFL network commercials.

38. RexRyan'sStressedLapband says: Jul 4, 2010 8:40 PM

@ ICEWALKER:
    Why all the hate for Marshall? Did he knock your sister up? Yeah, he’s done some things that reflect poorly on him, but does that mean that every time his name is mentioned we need to rehash it? I’m sure that there are a few instances in your life where better judgment could have been exercised, but wasn’t. Is that something you’d like to discuss every time you enter a conversation, or someone mentions you? Probably not, but given you’re incessant and time consuming hate posts, I imagine you’d never admit to yourself that you have EVER been wrong. Come on down off that mule you’re riding.
    I applaud the man for taking a few steps in the right direction. I just hope he can keep it up.

39. promichael says: Jul 4, 2010 9:31 PM

Evan Silva says, “The conflict was squashed.” What contflict? The kid is five years old attending a free football camp.

40. The Tire Slasher says: Jul 4, 2010 9:56 PM

You know, this whole “moderator” having to approve comments completely annihilates the entire point of a forum like this.
    If you actually want a Talk Back, take a look at what Harry Knowles & Co. have been doing over at Aint It Cool for years. A real forum where the readers of your website – the ones who pay your bills – can actually voice their opinions.
    Let’s face it, fellas, you are really selling yourselves short by “moderating” what NBC will approve.
    Then again, we all know you’ve already Jumped The Shark.
    I suppose you’ll just keep Jumping It, harder and harder, further and further, until a real website comes around and decides it’s time to get to brass tacks. Until then, I suppose, the “moderator” won’t approve this message, and I’ll have to continue to go to Profootball-Reference.com…. a REAL football website…

41. ICEWALKER says: Jul 4, 2010 10:03 PM

RexRyan’sStressedLapband says:
    July 4, 2010 8:40 PM
    @ ICEWALKER:
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    OK, first of all, I don’t have a sister so you are wrong there.
    Second, I don’t hate Marshall, I hate all these athletes that seem to think they are above the law or rules don’t apply to them.
    Third, I earned a good conduct medal in the Marine Corps, but we called it the Didn’t Get Caught Medal, so yeah, I’m not perfect. I HAVE NEVER BEEN ARRESTED, nor have I ever had a MURDER ASSOCIATED WITH ME, however.
    Fourth, it doesn’t take long to copy and paste so it’s not too time consuming.
    Fifth, I’m always wrong in my wife’s eyes!
    And sixth, I don’t ride mules. I drive a 2004 white Nissan Sentra.
    I also applaud ANYONE who turns his life around. Just DO IT. Don’t keep saying your’re going to turn your life around.
    All I did and always do is to bring facts. I never try to bring hate speech or run down other postings. OK, I did it once to Contra, but I had a bad day. Sorry about that Contra.

42. SethGecko says: Jul 4, 2010 10:21 PM

that kid aint nothin’ but a wankster

43. hdahs143 says: Jul 5, 2010 12:00 AM

Yea for you ICEWALKER. Everyone gets a Good Conduct Medal if they manage to make it 3 years without killing anybody. Second, you are judgemental. Third, backpedaling now, only furthers that point. Fourth, get a life.

44. hdahs143 says: Jul 5, 2010 12:05 AM

NYJALLFINGDAY says:
    July 4, 2010 8:32 PM
    Jesus Christ.

45. kristoff says: Jul 5, 2010 1:24 AM

his parents will be screaming RACISM when they dont want his ass in the suburbs!! LMAO!!!

46. Philtration says: Jul 5, 2010 1:25 AM

Imagine what an asshole this kid will be when he is 15.

47. pondbridge says: Jul 5, 2010 1:57 AM

So was SprintKid Florio trying to get some juicy quotes from Marshall? Generally speaking, sentences beginning with “Up yours….” tend to be more effective in eliciting the desired response from said interviewee. Either that or BenGay in the coach’s jock.

48. NYJALLFINGDAY says: Jul 5, 2010 2:16 AM

hdahs143 says: July 5, 2010 12:05 AM
    That’s rich. Now we have a Jets fan calling Miami players scum. Have you taken a look at some of the recent signings the Jets have made in a Redskin esque attempt to “win it all”. Good luck with that, and feel free to get back with us after you apply your moral barometer to your Jets.

HAHAHA! Take off the dolphin goggles, buddy. Santonio, Shaun Ellis and Braylon are the only ones who’ve gotten in trouble, and even then they don’t combine to have as much legal trouble as Brandon Marshall alone. Hell, i’ll even give you Sanchez’s trouble that he got in (even though nothing came of it.) Thinking before you speak is a very smart thing to do.

49. LighTsouT says: Jul 5, 2010 2:21 AM

@ICEWALKER: personally, I don’t think you’ve said anything out of line about Marshall.
    @Whoever it was who had a problem with this:
    “It isn’t an NFL offseason without a little Brandon Marshall drama.”
    That isn’t trying to make Marshall look bad at all.. all it’s saying is Marshall has drama every off-season. everyone has drama, it’s called life. Except, because of Marshall’s previous drama, and that this one is actually kind of funny/cute, it actually makes Marshall look like a BETTER person for actually caring to bring the kid back. I would’ve prolly let the lil brat run off and go where ever the hell he was going, he actually took the time to run after him.

50. texansMike says: Jul 5, 2010 4:53 AM

Let the message be sent!!!!!!!!!

51. TheToolofTools says: Jul 5, 2010 5:20 AM

he should have picked the kid up and thrown him on his back for under performing…. wait, that’s at michael vicks camp. never mind.

52. iusedtobeteddybayer says: Jul 5, 2010 8:27 AM

Now I’m pissed for two reasons.
    First, the quote is, “They’re children, Kramer!”Goddamn website/router/thingamagig didn’t catch the “they’re”.
    Second, MidgetFlorio: you got paid by NBC, yes it’s the off-season, but if you don’t feel like WORKING on a holiday, HIRE somebodies.
    This silly Brandon Marshall post was ready yesterday, waiting to see the movie, “Cyrus” [don’t bother] at 4:30pm PDT. Are you telling me, that one thing has happened in the NFL since then?
    You’re a hack, MidgetFlorio. You’d have to come up 3 levels to be a hack jounalist.

53. Popeye says: Jul 5, 2010 8:59 AM

its racist

54. promichael says: Jul 5, 2010 9:10 AM

Evan, I understand that Parcells will be playing golf at the Doral Country Club today in Miami. Perhaps you and Florio should go to the club and observe the Dolphin Football Czar’s behavior for future negative report writing. What will Florio write if the Dolphins win the division and the AFC Championship?
    “Thug and Hoodlum Recruiting Pays Off.”

55. ICEWALKER says: Jul 5, 2010 9:40 AM

hdahs143 says:
    July 5, 2010 12:00 AM
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Judgemental? I never said anything bad about the guy other that state the FACTS from his past. If you think I’m judgemental, ask me about politics, religion, and Brett Favre. Brandon Marshall does not bother me; it’s what he has done with his life that does. I will not backpedal from that. Just need to say things differently. Or I guess not at all so I don’t get people upset.
    Oh and I do have a life. It takes some doing to get thru it. I wake up, go to work, come home, go to sleep.
    Maybe I don’t have a life! :-)

56. Jangocat says: Jul 5, 2010 9:54 AM

5 years old and already a punk, kid needs a smack in the a$$.

57. Traci says: Jul 5, 2010 10:19 AM

a fowl mouthed 5 year old – talking back to an adult – is what is considered headline “news”.
    Really??

58. phillyfinsfan says: Jul 5, 2010 11:36 AM

“Living in the past is for losers”……….Mike Ditka

59. rayg says: Jul 5, 2010 11:54 AM

something’s not right with that photo on the link.

60. ArtieLange says: Jul 5, 2010 11:57 AM

Awesome. Manmar showed his nuts but in the end got owned by Marshall.

61. texasPHINSfan says: Jul 6, 2010 12:46 PM

:facepalm:
    where is the story here?

62. 2buku4u says: Jul 6, 2010 6:22 PM

@NYJALLFINGDAY
    Scum? C’mon…that’s a little harsh. What are child molesters, rapists and murderers considered?
    @ICEWALKER
    I can see how these “charges” can make a person look like “scum” if they’ve been privileged enough to live an easy going, sheltered life…but to all the rest of us unworthy heathens, we’re not so quick to crucify.
    1. A good friend of mine was at a nightclub not too long ago where his girlfriend was being harassed by a bunch of idiots. Some words were exchanged but before anything happened he was grabbed from behind, not realizing it was a police officer who had not identified himself, he threw the officer over his shoulder. After my friend realized what he had done he got down on his knees and willingly surrendered to the officer just to be tazed anyway (probably due to embarrassment). He ended up being charged almost the same exact way Marshall was in ’04 while at UCF. I’d be interested to find out if the police officer involved with Marshall’s incident was white, just as my friend is African American and the officer in his case was white(in the city of Irvine, CA…if anybody here knows the reputation of that city)
    2. DUIs and other traffic related crimes, while I understand are serious, are a dime a dozen and the best of people have made this very easy mistake to make.
    3. I have not myself had the misfortune of being involved in a murder, but I don’t see how if somebody you’re with gets shot and dies it somehow paints you in a negative light. What exactly is BM guilty of here? Having a shady cousin? It’s a tragedy when a relative, friend or teammate gets killed…not an opportunity to everyone else look bad.
    4. I have, however, had the misfortune of being in a very dysfunctional and abusive relationship in the past. What a lot of people are very quick to think is that the man is always responsible… this is not the case and for anyone that believes the contrary is very lucky to have not been in this type of situation. Naturally I was blamed for all of the altercations because I was about a foot taller and easily weighed around 125lbs more, but for those of you who will listen let me tell you, a manipulative woman can make you look like a horrible person and you can do absolutely nothing about it except walk away for good.
    I don’t doubt that BM has made some stupid decisions in his life, but he is still very young and has a lot of time to grow up, hopefully while in Miami ;) If everybody here had all the success and wealth he has had at such a young age I can guarantee that at least half of us would make some pretty stupid decisions too…