Barclays will be taking over the NFL's credit card sponsorship

Within the past half hour, I whipped out the official PFT credit card, a Bank of America “Extra Points” plastic rectangle bearing the official NFL shield, to pay the monthly Sprint bill.

And we’d better use those “Extra Points” soon; as of September 1, the NFL credit card sponsorship goes to Barclays.

Per the Associated Press, all reward points will need to be used by next month.  So take heed, PFT Planet.  If you have a Bank of America “Extra Points” card, use those points soon, or forever hold your peace.

Then, you’ll be able to get a new card and start a new set of reward points from Barclays, a British bank.

The grand prize?  A giant ball of oil.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
23 Responses to “Barclays will be taking over the NFL's credit card sponsorship”
  1. Unnamed Source says: Jul 5, 2010 5:14 PM

I got a letter in the mail a few weeks ago stating basically the same thing. My card is being changed into some other Bank of America card and if I want an NFL sponsered one I need to apply with the new company. No thanks

2. mpoles says: Jul 5, 2010 5:14 PM

Give it a rest Florio…

3. Jaxuar says: Jul 5, 2010 5:33 PM

Thanks for the info. I was just looking at my points today.

4. edgy says: Jul 5, 2010 6:00 PM

Yet another sign for a London Super Bowl from the Golden Weasel as he decided that “Buy American” is a bad thing….

5. JackDiesel says: Jul 5, 2010 6:01 PM

Why the he’ll is British bank sponsoring the NFL?

6. saintboblsu says: Jul 5, 2010 6:18 PM

BP(Beyond Petroleum not British Petroleum, like our idiotic president thinks) is equally American (Amaco and BP merger formed Beyond Petroleum), unlike Barclays which I believe is mostly owned by the Brits.

7. jason95648 says: Jul 5, 2010 6:34 PM

Yeah, Barclays is currently in the process of selling HomEq Servicing (mortgage loan servicing), which is based in the US to a company (Ocwen) that outsources most of their work. Glad to see the NFL keeps track of the companies they do business with. Last I checked, it was the folks here in the US buying tickets and going to games. Maybe the NFL wants to outsource that too?

8. Shaun Lowrie says: Jul 5, 2010 6:37 PM

OH NO, I HAVE AN INADEQUACY COMPLEX ABOUT BRITAIN!!!
    Get over it. You’re embarrassing.

9. Beau says: Jul 5, 2010 6:41 PM

Saintboblsu you are incorrect, that was only a myth. After the merge with Amaco, it became BP not Beyond Petroleum. BP has never used the name Beyond Petroleum, so before you mock a person make sure you have your facts straight otherwise you look idiotic.

10. edgy says: Jul 5, 2010 6:50 PM

# saintboblsu says:
    **************************
    BP, as in BP, is a company that’s based in — gasp – LONDON, England and it’s considered – wait for it – BRITAIN’S largest corporation
    BTW, BP stands for BP and NOT Beyond Petroleum, which is a SLOGAN and not even a true one, since most of their investments are related to fossil fuels. Maybe you should change your moniker to saintbooblsu….

11. Patrick says: Jul 5, 2010 7:04 PM

Maybe the President read this…From BP website:Before it was a brand, BP was a product range. In 1917 British cans of motor fuel that had previously been sold under the enigmatic label ‘Palm Tree Oil’ were marketed as ‘BP’, short for “British Petroleum”.
    The company itself wouldn’t be called BP for another 40 years, but BP gasoline quickly captured motorists’ imaginations, both in Britain and across continental Europe. The letters appeared in advertisements, on the pumps and on the sides of delivery trucks…. Then in 2000 BP, now a group of companies that included Amoco, ARCO and Castrol, unveiled a new global brand with a new mark, a sunburst of green, yellow and white symbolizing dynamic energy in all its forms. It was called the Helios after the sun god of ancient Greece.
    In a press release announcing the change, the group said it had decided to retain the BP name because of its recognition around the world and because it stood for the new company’s aspirations: ‘better people, better products, big picture, beyond petroleum

12. Tinbender says: Jul 5, 2010 7:37 PM

saintboblsu says:
    July 5, 2010 6:18 PM
    ————————————————————-
    BP used “Beyond Petroleum” in ads touting how “environmental” they are as a company, that worked out well didn’t it. They are still British Petroleum, a British company. Only an assclown would call our president idiotic for knowing more than said assclown.

13. Chiefforlife says: Jul 5, 2010 7:55 PM

I think its bad business to have the NATIONAL Football League, sell out to a British bank. We wonder whats happening to our country…

14. aschwartz says: Jul 5, 2010 8:39 PM

Wait, you are sponsored by sprint but you have to pay every month? What gives…

15. Ratpee says: Jul 5, 2010 9:15 PM

EPL–English Premier League is the finest.
    The NFL keeps making good moves.

16. Chiefs2010 says: Jul 5, 2010 9:52 PM

who cares, don’t buy Credit Cards, they’re killers
    Go Chiefs!

17. Mooch says: Jul 5, 2010 9:57 PM

BP is British Petroleum.
    Beyond Petroleum was a tagline for an ad campaign geared at rebranding the company as eco-friendly.
    I guess it failed, although it seems to have gained some traction with whatever idiot Fox News host passed this on to you.
    Because you are a dope Tea Bagger who knows nothing.
    And, for the record, Bank of America is the biggest scumbag company in the world. My business card has a fixed deadline every month. My consumer card, they change the deadline every month. Guess why?

18. urabozoo says: Jul 5, 2010 10:36 PM

Funny, the company I work for was owned by Barclays and they just sold us to our competitor that outsources all there work to India. I was told the other day to use up all my sick time or lose it by the end of this month. Got to love Barclays.

19. edgy says: Jul 5, 2010 11:08 PM

# urabozoo says:
    *************************
    I’d polish my resume. I once worked for a company that told me the same thing and they started laying people off soon after that because the other company only wanted the name and the assets and not the people.

20. montanabob says: Jul 6, 2010 1:29 AM

Dude;
    Thanks for the update!
    I’ve been saving up for my authentic helmut; I’m less than six months away; or so I thought.
    Aaron Rodgers jersey will do though.
    Thanks mike!
    I don’t open snail mail unless it’s from grandma.

21. Mainbucsfan says: Jul 6, 2010 4:32 AM

This post is a perfect example of what’s wrong with the united states. If we don’t stop out sourcing we are not going to have a country anymore, hell we don’t even buy our own Pittsburg steel anymore it comes from good’ole china. Put the good’ole boys back to work and buy American.

22. Cornelius Cruys says: Jul 6, 2010 5:35 AM

We’ve had to put up being sponsored by American companies for years over here. The inferiority complex of some people is ridiculous. ‘We wonder what’s happening to our country’ – overreaction, much?
    And anyway, weren’t the workers on that oil rig American?

23. texasPHINSfan says: Jul 6, 2010 12:34 PM