Eric Decker running routes at Larry Fitzgerald's camp

Wide receiver Eric Decker was still available for the Broncos to take him with the 23rd pick in the third round of the draft in part because he’s still recovering from a foot injury suffered in college at Minnesota.

But there’s good news for Broncos fans about Decker’s availability for the 2010 season, as Decker ran routes, caught passes and went through drills today at the football camp on the Minnesota campus hosted by Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald.

Asked if he’s healthy, Decker said, “Yeah. It’s still a day-to-day thing and the training staff is helping me to move along and progress at a very good rate. I feel comfortable every day so that’s the best I can say.”

Decker indicated that he expects to be ready to go for training camp.

“Oh yeah. I didn’t get a chance to practice in OTAs and minicamp,” he said. “I’m a little nervous and I’m anxious because I’m back to football, I’m back playing, I’m done in the training room and that’s exciting to me.”

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
21 Responses to “Eric Decker running routes at Larry Fitzgerald's camp”
  1. Chiefs2010 says: Jul 6, 2010 8:34 PM

This dude’s pretty good, though he’ll inevitably be compared to Ed McAffrey because he’s white..

2. PerchSports says: Jul 6, 2010 8:43 PM

This kid could be the best WR to come out of the draft, had he not been injured and had the type of SR year he was on pace for, he would have been a 1st round pick.

3. BroncoBourque says: Jul 6, 2010 8:57 PM

This is looking good for the Broncos if him and Thomas can both be healthy and ready to go for the start of training camp Like PerchSports said, Decker was looking like a first round pick until his injury so having him on one side and Thomas on the other with Royal in the slot could be a very good young WR core.

4. treydogg97 says: Jul 6, 2010 9:02 PM

Wasn’t the fastest guy around but he makes tough, tough catches (especially considering his college QB Adam Weber couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn).

5. BroncosPost99 says: Jul 6, 2010 9:04 PM

Sad but Decker might just put Brandon Stokley out of a job this year

6. Hail26 says: Jul 6, 2010 9:30 PM

TEBOW Sucks….oh wrong thread

7. robert ethen says: Jul 6, 2010 9:33 PM

Use Larry’s routes. They seem to work O.K.

8. MrHumble says: Jul 6, 2010 9:42 PM

Denver fans are in for a real treat with Decker…the guy doesn’t understand the word “can’t”, catches anything in his time zone, has Cris Carter type hands, unbelievable “field presence and always gives 110%…..no attitude issues with this dude.

9. digitalbath says: Jul 6, 2010 10:22 PM

as a ravens fan,i gotta say,this guy is a huge star waiting to open up,yes it sucks that he will always be compared to ed mc,but his play does really resemble ed,with royal,and maybe if thomas can live up to the slot,denver will still put out a very soild wr corps

10. Patrick says: Jul 6, 2010 10:46 PM

Great value pick for the Bronco’s …Best WR out of the Big Ten (or 11, now 12) last draft and seemingly was Minnesota’s best/only threat to score last year…

11. milehiclown says: Jul 6, 2010 10:54 PM

Now if only we had a quarterback to throw him the ball.

12. milehiclown says: Jul 6, 2010 11:11 PM

If you go to the play at the 1:32 mark, put Tebow in for the QB position. That play is gonna win us a game. This year.

13. Allied Biscuit says: Jul 7, 2010 12:00 AM

Best, most dependable receiver in the draft. can catch anything, and has amazing adjustments to the ball in the air. not cocky at all. humble minnesota kid, like joe mauer.
    could be like a torry holt if he stays healthy. he is that good, and tough.

14. rovibe says: Jul 7, 2010 12:12 AM

Decker is a stud receiver. As a MN fan, I watched many of his college games. The guy isn’t elite speed fast, but he’s easily 2nd receiver fast. Best comparison — he’s like the white version of Cris Carter. No joke. He’s big, strong, smart, and he makes one rediculous catch after another. Great focus on the ball and seriously strong hands to haul in passes the average receiver will never catch. If his foot heals properly, he should be very good for the Broncos, and he’ll easily become a fan favorite. No ghetto punk in his personality. Classy dude. Was really hoping the Vikes would snag him first, even if it wasn’t a position of need. Combined with Tebow (I don’t care if he needs 3 years to be NFL ready, I like his refreshing attitude, too), the Broncos snagged two of my favorite college players this year. I think I have to call them my favorite non-MN team now.

15. SterilizeTHenry says: Jul 7, 2010 12:13 AM

Chiefs2010 says:
    July 6, 2010 8:34 PM
    ———–
    LOL. Sad, but so true. Kinda reminds me how every short, white WR will forever be compared to Wes Welker.

16. Wipackman says: Jul 7, 2010 12:23 AM

Saw him play at Minnesota ….Nice player Value pick for Denver and he will produce if they get good QB play.

17. ChupameArpaio says: Jul 7, 2010 3:03 AM

Practicing, training and even just hanging around not only one of the best receivers in the game, but one of the most admirable professional athletes going today can only be a good thing. Especially for a rookie.

18. Cannon says: Jul 7, 2010 8:33 AM

Congrats Denver you got a great football player.
    University of Minnesota Alum

19. USMarine75 says: Jul 7, 2010 9:05 AM

SterilizeTHenry says:
    July 7, 2010 12:13 AM
    ———–
    Or how even tall white guys get compared to Wes… Jordy Nelson was constantly referred to as being the next Wes Welker, except he’s 6’3, 217 lbs, and nowhere near the lateral acceleration and agility, as he’s more of a tall possession receiver (BTW he’s the guy that beat Aqib Talib down the sideline in college when he quit on the play)… but other than that they’re twins…

20. Hoagie69 says: Jul 7, 2010 9:30 AM

I’m happy to see all of you are jumping on the Decker bandwagon beacause u should be. I have watched this kid play his HS and college ball here in MN, and let me tell u he is one hell of an athlete. I even partied with the dude and he is one down to earth, even headed melow type of guy. He also had the highest score on the wonderlic test f0r this years draft so u Broncos fans snagged one hell of a treat.

21. Percy Nugz says: Jul 7, 2010 9:37 AM

USMarine 75:
    Kansas Jayhawks: 2008 Orange Bowl champs so suck on that!