Football players flock to Washington for free football camp

NFL_stewart1.jpgPlenty of football camps occur at this time of year, with NFL players teaching youngsters about the game.

A recent camp held in Washington (the state, not D.C.) caught our attention today because:  (1) plenty of NFL players made the trip; and (2) it was free.

Panthers running back Jonathan Stewart hosted the event, and several of his former Oregon teammates attended, including Bills safety Jairus Byrd, Steelers quarterback Dennis Dixon, and Panthers tight end Dante Rosario.  Current Panthers teammates DeAngelo Williams and Kenny Moore pitched in, too.

“For me, why make somebody pay to get better at
something or to be inspired
,” Stewart told Aaron Fentress of the Oregonian.  “That’s what this is all about.  I’m not in
it to make any money, especially in my hometown.”

Stewart hopes he has started a tradition that will continue long after he’s “dead and gone.”

If Stewart keeps it up, he’ll someday be gone, but he won’t be forgotten.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Carolina Panthers, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Football players flock to Washington for free football camp”
  1. onlymyopinionmatters says: Jul 10, 2010 9:18 PM

I wish more athletes had the same attitude as Stewart.
    Totally commendable.
    I wonder how much Tim Tebow the turd would charge for a camp? $1000,,,$2000,,?

2. SaintsBaby says: Jul 10, 2010 9:27 PM

Maybe Favre will attend. He has been working out for anybody but the Vikings…

3. straightup says: Jul 10, 2010 9:47 PM

Man that’s great. I know that asshole Chris Duhon is from my home town and charges for basketball camps when he comes here. I just think these guys shouldn’t charge to help the youth out there.

4. bake says: Jul 10, 2010 9:48 PM

I heard Haynesworth was gonna do that…………

5. joshington says: Jul 10, 2010 9:58 PM

There’s a Washington state?

6. Randy0223 says: Jul 10, 2010 10:00 PM

@Onlymyopinionmatters Tebow would probably charge nothing and actualy do more for the kids. Shows how little you know about him, he spends most of his time out of this country helping to rebuild other places. He’s a devout Christian who helps many people, look it up.

7. mattgso says: Jul 10, 2010 10:01 PM

favre, diva

8. pilot08 says: Jul 10, 2010 10:10 PM

Thanks for posting this Florio. I love seeing real pro’s act like real pro’s.

9. bluestree says: Jul 10, 2010 10:12 PM

SaintsBaby says:
    July 10, 2010 9:27 PM
    Maybe Favre will attend. He has been working out for anybody but the Vikings…
    ——————————–
    Anthony Hargrove is holding a camp here;
    “Boo, what’d it feel like to plant Brett Favre?”
    Big ol’ smile.

10. Hugh says: Jul 10, 2010 10:17 PM

Can’t believe Steve Smith’s bitch wrote something about someone with the Panthers and didn’t mention a sucker punch or Fox and Hurney as lame ducks in the last year of their contracts.
    Someone needs to call BlondBlueEyedDevil (AKA StupidRednecks) to see if it’s snowing in Hell.

11. irish4life says: Jul 10, 2010 10:30 PM

Yes there is a Washington State!!!! I am sure you have heard of Boeing? or how about Microsoft and Starbucks? These Companies all are in Washington.
    Just last week we got running water in Washington State…..hard to believe.

12. FumbleNuts says: Jul 10, 2010 10:31 PM

“Plenty of football camps occur at this time of year, with NFL players teaching youngsters about the game.”
    Did JaMarcus Russell show up?

13. Tim says: Jul 10, 2010 11:02 PM

I live in NC and go to every Panther game. Stewart has been a class act since day 1. This story makes me like him even more. It takes a special kind of player for me to buy there jersey and represent them when I’m at a game. For example I Love Steve Smith but would never wear his jersey for off the field reasons, I always wear my number 52 jersey. Beason is a tough nosed all around great player who is worthy. This offseason I added a Stewart jersey to my collection and this story might make me a #28 then a #52 in week 2….

14. Terrell Blowens says: Jul 10, 2010 11:07 PM

Aw man I was gonna crack a Redskins joke about how many of these little kids could make the team… My fun is all gone. Seahawks are also an easy target… but it’s still not as fun.

15. pilot08 says: Jul 10, 2010 11:25 PM

Can you imagine being a youngin and seeing all these guys at a FREE football camp?
    Stewart and Williams should both be pro-bowlers this year.. Has anything like that ever happened?

16. Omega says: Jul 10, 2010 11:35 PM

Mangini had a camp last year. It benefited thousands of kids. But because pampered NFL rookies had to travel 10 hours in an air conditioned bus it was panned.
    But this is OK.
    Whatever….

17. rovibe says: Jul 10, 2010 11:49 PM

onlymyopinionmatters — You really don’t know Tebow. To date, he’s already turned down over a million dollars in endorsement deals, explaining that he doesn’t want to alienate his new teammates, opting instead to show them he’s committed to being the attentive rookie who’s there to learn. Give the guy credit. Besides, if he did host a camp where attendees were charged, everything in his history (he and his whole family have done extensive volunteer work around the world), he’s almost surely donate all the funds to charity. For you to root against one of the most selfless and inspirational ‘good guy’ athletes in pro sports today (who’s done nothing to you) says more about you than it does Tebow.

18. red4skins says: Jul 11, 2010 1:48 AM

irish4life is gay. probably likes notre dame too. joshington is making fun of people exactly like you… dumbass.
    joshington… nicely done.
    irish4life… you’re gay

19. StAndrew26 says: Jul 11, 2010 2:50 AM

I want to say, as a Saints fan, that Jonathan Stewart appears to be a real class act here and we should be proud of athelethes who give back to their communities. I gain respect for Stewart (and Byrd, Dixon, Williams, etc.)

20. Dave The Panther says: Jul 11, 2010 4:10 AM

Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams running a FREE clinic. Show the NFL the the Panther Organization is the CREAM OF THE CROP..
    Great Show JSTew, D’Will, Dante and Kenny Moore.
    Go Panthers

21. onlymyopinionmatters says: Jul 11, 2010 6:34 AM

Randy0223 says:
    ******************************************
    Are you F*@!king kidding me!!!!! Are you one of the brainwashed fools that drank the Tim Tebow (JimJones) KoolAid too?
    Wake up buddy,. Shows how little you know about scams. Do you religiously send in your paycheck each week to brother Ken Copeland? Did you furnish Jim and Tammy faye’s lifestyle before it crashed down on them?
    Tebow charges kids $160 for an autograph!. YOU LOOK IT UP!
    Both of you are turds.

22. onlymyopinionmatters says: Jul 11, 2010 8:33 AM

@ Randy & Rovibe:
    I’m am here to heal you both, and take away your sins.
    I am the great prophet and thru the almighty I can make you, healthy, wealthy, wise, and spread the word to millions.
    But first, you must send me $200 each and every week. I can not help you unless I have my Mercedes, BMW, mansion, and private jets washed and cleaned.
    My brother Tebow wants you to send us your weekly paycheck, we need it to support our charities………….(OURSELVES)!!!

23. brasho says: Jul 11, 2010 9:23 AM

Considering how much these guys make it is ridiculous to think that ANY of them would charge for a camp. It’s funny that so many of these players consider themselves Democrats but when it comes to giving back they’d rather make money off the backs of the peasants…. like a Democratic politician.

24. joshington says: Jul 11, 2010 10:06 AM

at least someone gets it…

25. Bite-me-Florio says: Jul 12, 2010 11:08 AM

i have to play this fairly. I give florio a lot of grief for hating on the Panthers. This is a great story. Thanks for some good press finally.

26. DM says: Jul 12, 2010 12:12 PM

brasho says:
    July 11, 2010 9:23 AM
    *************************************
    And here I thought Dumb and Dumber was two different guys.