Mike Williams confirms he won't play in 2010 but says, "I'm not dead"

On Friday night, Jason Reid of the Washington Post reported that Redskins guard Mike Williams will miss the entire 2010 season with blood clots near his heart.

Williams spoke about the situation to Chris Russell of 106.7 The Fan in D.C.

Though Williams didn’t get into many details, he confirmed that he won’t play in 2010, but he added, “I’m not dead.”

He vowed to return, if/when he obtains “100 percent” clearance from doctors.  Williams insists that his weight isn’t a factor regarding his condition, and that he’s in “great shape” for an NFL guard.

Of course, we can’t think of many NFL guards who are in “great shape.”

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
18 Responses to “Mike Williams confirms he won't play in 2010 but says, "I'm not dead"”
  1. crabman82 says: Jul 10, 2010 1:46 PM

this mike williams might not be dead, but the one in seattle sure is

2. tom coughlin's coat holder says: Jul 10, 2010 1:54 PM

get well.

3. jerry's kids says: Jul 10, 2010 2:09 PM

Thought M.Williams Seattle was getting serious about football with his old coach Carroll? Carroll’s a DF guy first anyway.

4. Occam says: Jul 10, 2010 2:12 PM

I don’t want to go on the cart……

5. DanSnyderSux says: Jul 10, 2010 2:20 PM

Keeping you in our prayers, Brotha!

6. The Hogster says: Jul 10, 2010 2:41 PM

Given the douche-like sarcasm, I knew Florio wrote this entry. I’d bet that over 90 percent of NFL guards are in better shape than you buddy.

7. g world says: Jul 10, 2010 3:38 PM

This makes the Jammal Brown deal even sweeter now…. Artis Hicks is reportedly moving to RG instead of Williams after Brown was signed. Before the signing Hicks would’ve been starting RT while Mike Williams starting was the intended starter at RG… But the Redskins now need more depth at RG.

8. DJSlyBri says: Jul 10, 2010 3:42 PM

You need to identify what Mike Williams you are talking about in the headline if you can. It is tiring to always have to figure out which bum loser Mike Williams you are talking about.

9. ImAManIm40 says: Jul 10, 2010 3:43 PM

I’d say more like 100 percent.

10. eaglesnoles05 says: Jul 10, 2010 4:03 PM

Sorry to hear about that. No one want’s to lose a guy to something that serious– get well soon, but hang up the cleats, dude. Don’t play NFL football with clots around your heart…
    Wow, where’s this leave the Skins O-Line now? I’m worried that McNabb may not get the same caliber pass blocking that he’s had the last decade. Did I say “may?” I meant positively certain of it. And did I say “worried?” I meant not worried.

11. eaglesnoles05 says: Jul 10, 2010 4:03 PM

12. hey-seuss says: Jul 10, 2010 4:13 PM

# The Hogster says: July 10, 2010 2:41 PM
    ————————————————————————
    Dude…you’re way off…have you seen most guards in the NFL? Better yet, have you seen Mike Florio?
    97% is a much better guesstimate.

13. robert ethen says: Jul 10, 2010 4:48 PM

Then he clutched his chest and slumped to the floor. Just for a laugh.

14. bake says: Jul 10, 2010 6:12 PM

Trent Williams, Derrick Dockery, Casey Rabach, Artis Hicks, Jamaal Brown…Heyer, Edwin Williams, Chad Rhinehart….hope nobody gets hurt in the starting 5.

15. burntorangehorn says: Jul 10, 2010 6:13 PM

I really don’t know how serious his particular case is, or what treatments he’s likely to undergo. I’m guessing a regimen of blood-thinners might be the plan, but over a long enough period of time that he couldn’t be ready for the 2010 season. I really hope that works, because blood clots can be a quick death if they shake loose (R.I.P., Derrick Thomas).

16. 4for4PhillyFan says: Jul 10, 2010 7:28 PM

It will be nice to nice McNabb overthrowing/underthrowing open receivers and hanging on to the ball too long in another city. I have watched his poor decision-making for way too long in Philly. I know he still has talent to offer,but with the pathetic offensive line in Washington, he will not have a good year. Go Birds!!!

17. winslow says: Jul 10, 2010 8:33 PM

I’m not too upset about Mike Williams, but I am deeply disturbed that Hogster and hey-seuss are staring at Florio’s body.

18. CH³NO² says: Jul 10, 2010 11:07 PM

He won’t be able to play again until he is off blood thinners if that’s the treatment he gets.
    Blood clots can be a chronic hereditary condition. If that’s the case here…..he is done.