Chad Pennington hopes to become a high school coach

NFL_pennington_250.jpgDolphins quarterback Chad Pennington, who acknowledges that he’ll have a “different role” in 2010 as the backup to Chad Henne, has a somewhat different aspiration than most former NFL players who aspire to get into coaching.

Pennington won’t be aiming for the highest levels of the sport.  Instead, he wants to coach at the high school level.

“To me, Friday
night football is what it’s all about
,” Pennington said Monday, per WVLT-TV.  “That’s the most exciting part of
being a football player. I’ve played on all three levels and Friday
night football there is nothing better.  Number two, I think at the high
school level you can really help a young man set a foundation not only
as a football player, but as a person.

Pennington currently is conducting his annual football camp in his home state of Tennessee, at the high school he attended.

“I get to see
mountains, hills, rolling hills, green trees, no palm trees,” Pennington said.

Pennington, a first-round pick of the Jets in 2000, was cut abruptly in 2008 after the team traded for Brett Favre.  Pennington quickly signed with the Dolphins, and he became the NFL’s comeback player of the year for the second time in his career.

Permalink 65 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
65 Responses to “Chad Pennington hopes to become a high school coach”
  1. zilla1126 says: Jul 12, 2010 11:45 PM

He has the arm strength of a HS QB; so why not?

2. stiller43 says: Jul 12, 2010 11:46 PM

…What a lofty goal…

3. FinFan68 says: Jul 12, 2010 11:50 PM

I was hoping he would be the Dolphins QB coach at some point. Smart player, great leader…will make a great coach at any level.

4. bluestree says: Jul 13, 2010 12:00 AM

I don’t know, competition is tough. How is he going to stand out from the rest of the applicants?
    Maybe he can get his foot in the door on the junior high level.
    Nah, just kidding, Chad is one of my favorite guys.

5. robert ethen says: Jul 13, 2010 12:09 AM

He wants to be referred to as Mr. Pennington once he retires.

6. FumbleNuts says: Jul 13, 2010 12:20 AM

Way to shoot for the stars………..!
    But seriously, I’m sure he would make a great H.S. coach.

7. section128drunk says: Jul 13, 2010 12:35 AM

Chad’s a class act

8. Big M says: Jul 13, 2010 12:36 AM

stiller43… yes – a lofty goal you couldn’t reach.
    Chad Pennington is a class act. I’ve always been a fan of his and I know he’s just the kind of man that our teenagers need as a role model.

9. Big M says: Jul 13, 2010 12:39 AM

stiller43… yes – a lofty goal you couldn’t reach.

10. Chusko says: Jul 13, 2010 12:41 AM

Well if he just starts throwing on the sideline I’m sure he’ll hit the head coach soon enough. Granted, it’ll probably bounce off of the turf 5 yards short, but that coach’s shins will hurt like hell later….

11. Nola5712 says: Jul 13, 2010 12:46 AM

as a saints fan, i LOVED the jets team’s from that era. pennington, keyshawn, chrebet, coles, martin, man…so many talented players…. i wish this guy well in all his endeavors.

12. SirSprague says: Jul 13, 2010 12:59 AM

Being a Bills fan, it really, really pains me to say anything nice about the other teams in my division. But Pennington has always been a class act and an intelligent guy, and it’s great that he knows what he wants to do after playing.

13. TheSleepness says: Jul 13, 2010 1:00 AM

Underrated…not amazing but had some solid performances. He’ll make a heck of a coach for sure.

14. johanneschimpo says: Jul 13, 2010 1:03 AM

“If Henne gets hurt early in 2010 and Pennington steps in effectively, he could win the award for a third time.”
    Why do you insert stuff like that? So redundant.

15. skp says: Jul 13, 2010 1:03 AM

CP10 may be one of the classiest football players ever. I wish him the best of luck.

16. sharkattack says: Jul 13, 2010 1:13 AM

Honestly, Pennington is one of the only QB’s in the NFL that actually deserves some respect. He has never been anything less than a class act. Even through all the Mangini/Clemens/Favre BS he held himself above it all.
    You can tell the dude loves the game. That’s a very rare trait in the NFL of 2010. No he doesn’t have the best arm, but he is super accurate. He is a very intelligent player, and a nice person.
    I have actually spoken to him quite a few times, as I live by where he played his college ball (Huntington WV.) Each time, he seemed genuine and intelligent.
    No he isn’t going to make the HOF or anything like that, but he has had himself a nice career. It may be just me, but I would give him the nod to start this year. I just can’t bring myself to believe in Chad Henne.
    Dolphins fan’s, I’m not dissing your team. I think they look good this year (though I still pick NE over them in the east.) I think with either QB they make a wild-card. I just see Pennington as a more reliable starter for this season.
    Maybe 9-7 or 10-6 with Henne.
    10-6 or 11-5 with Pennington.

17. mr_snrub says: Jul 13, 2010 1:13 AM

Jimmy Clausen’s older brother can provide him an in.

18. seanx says: Jul 13, 2010 1:46 AM

I think it is kind of nice actually. Quaint even. Then I remember what pricks that my high school coaches were.

19. J. Clayton says: Jul 13, 2010 1:53 AM

I hope Ben Roethlisberger won’t be around those High School kids – wherever Pennington winds up.

20. sharkattack says: Jul 13, 2010 2:01 AM

Maybe 9-7 or 10-6 with Henne.
    10-6 or 11-5 with Pennington.

21. UberJet says: Jul 13, 2010 2:30 AM

One of the very best wherever he is.

22. BKjetsfan101 says: Jul 13, 2010 2:46 AM

he shouldve done this years ago. he was always a decent qb but couldnt win a big game to save his life. that being said whats the point of playing if u cant win games that count. great guy though and would make a great coach

23. osnap305 says: Jul 13, 2010 5:45 AM

Pennington is a great man and very intelligent. Nice to see he can aspire to shape the lives of young men. I’d like to see him become a QB coach in the NFL one day and see him work his way up the ladder.

24. bludogfin says: Jul 13, 2010 5:57 AM

hey pennington is there anyway you can transfer your accuracy to henne or you take his arm strength, that would make an ultimate qb lol

25. NYMets says: Jul 13, 2010 6:00 AM

You will not find a better person in all of sports than Chad Pennington. The inbreeds who inhabit Miami Dolphin fandom should take a lesson from their back-up quarterback.

26. BaltimoreSports says: Jul 13, 2010 7:03 AM

That’s actually pretty cool of Chad.

27. Bigbluefan says: Jul 13, 2010 7:28 AM

Better then being a dog figher / Dog killer or leaving your wife who is carrying your babys for some hottie
    Like him or not he has been what few others have an NFL QB for both the JETS and the Fins
    I wish this man all the luck in the world

28. theanimalmiller says: Jul 13, 2010 7:29 AM

Chad Pennington is what Chef Boyardee would look like with a football jersey on.

29. promichael says: Jul 13, 2010 7:42 AM

zilla1126 says that Pennington has the arm strength of a high school QB. I don’t agree most HS QB’s have a stronger arm than Chad Pennington. Chad would not be the starting QB if Henne got injured. Tyler Thigpen would be given the starting role. Thigpen is listed as and is the number two Quarterback.

30. GBfanForever says: Jul 13, 2010 7:43 AM

He likes those high school girls. He gets older, they stay the same age.

31. stove boogie says: Jul 13, 2010 7:47 AM

Dare to dream.

32. FAS says: Jul 13, 2010 8:02 AM

A much higher goal than say, to liquor up some co-eds and have your personal security force select and separate one for raping.

33. PrimeTime says: Jul 13, 2010 8:06 AM

As a former Jet fan, any real fan loved Pennington, if guys like Jamarcus Russell had Chad’s heart and work ethics he would be a hall of famer… too bad Chad’s body gave out on him, class act… the Jets are now a joke of a franchise, they care more about selling PSLs and creating a good reality show… I hate them.

34. Ballinmore says: Jul 13, 2010 8:16 AM

He started his career with dreams of becoming the next Joe Montana and wants to end it with dreams of being the next Bud Kilmer. He truly is a mensch and it wouldn’t be a bad idea for Mike Vick to take some notes.

35. Chapnasty2 says: Jul 13, 2010 8:17 AM

Hey Chad, so do I. Maybe you can be my assistant. In all seriousness for a guy who has been chewed up and spit out a number of times by the Jets and by injuries he is a true class act. Guys like Fat Ben and LT2 should take note of what class really is.

36. 90ragtop says: Jul 13, 2010 8:27 AM

As several other posters have observed, Chad Pennington is one of the too-few NFL players who actually deserves respect and admiration.
    Speaking from the viewpoint of someone who is on the wrong side of age 50, it is a much more honorable and worthy goal to want to devote the latter part of your career to helping young people just starting out in life than it is to line your own bank account by being yet another talking head on TV.
    Chad, I take my hat off to you.

37. JetsAreAJoke says: Jul 13, 2010 8:29 AM

NYMets says:
    July 13, 2010 6:00 AM
    _____________________________________
    Obviously, the stupid jests didn’t appreciate what they had since they dumped him like yesterday’s garbage. And for what? Oh yeah, Brett Favre to lead them to the promised land. How’d that work out for you fools. Typical stupid jests fan comment!!!!!
    SAME OL’ JESTS!!!!! It’s in their DNA.

38. paleandpasty says: Jul 13, 2010 8:30 AM

Well you better hope Thigpen gets injured cause Chad is the number 3 QB and the talk is that he will be on the PUP to start the season.

39. carlito from golfito says: Jul 13, 2010 8:31 AM

NYMets says:
    July 13, 2010 6:00 AM
    ————————————————————————————-
    This coming from one of the class acts that probably cheered when their own QB (Pennington) was laying on the field injured… LOL

40. JetsAreAJoke says: Jul 13, 2010 8:31 AM

@PrimeTime,
    You sound like a very intelligent individual.

41. carlito from golfito says: Jul 13, 2010 8:33 AM

Primetime,
    great post. I agree completely… They do suck and are a joke… Can’t wait to see all the fans when they don’t live up to the hype machine and come crashing down to reality…

42. carlito from golfito says: Jul 13, 2010 8:46 AM

JetsAreAJoke,
    You speak the truth

43. realitypolice says: Jul 13, 2010 9:04 AM

stiller43 says:
    July 12, 2010 11:46 PM
    …What a lofty goal…
    ==================
    Ummmm……….I think Chad’s “goal” was to be a successful starting QB in the league and secure the financial security of his family for generations.
    Having already accomplished that, which I am guessing is far more than you will ever accomplish, maybe he just figures he can do whatever makes him happy.

44. CKL says: Jul 13, 2010 9:05 AM

I am happy to see all the nice comments on CP. He has always been one of my favorite PEOPLE in the NFL and I say that as a Pats fan. Great guy, classy, smart, a leader and as others noted a REAL role model. The kind of gritty QB I really like.
    I really don’t get people who have to come to stories like this and type mean spirited things about a guy who is so far from deserving anything like that said. It tells me more about them than it does about CP.

45. CJ SPILLER says: Jul 13, 2010 9:08 AM

Being a Bills fan and hating the Jets and Dolphins, it pains me to say I have to give credit to Chad Pennington. He was a Bills killer!! Say what you want about him, weak arm, injury prone, all of it, but he just happens to be the all time NFL’s most accurate passer at 65.6%. He almost never missed a 25 yard pass. He has always played the game with class.

46. PrimeTime says: Jul 13, 2010 9:13 AM

I was a Jets season ticket holder for years… 20 rows off the field lower level in the end zone (sec 102)… so when they came calling for PSLs I was willing to spend $5,000 a seat, they told me all those PSLs were gone and the only thing available was $10,000 a seat… I said No… they call me 6 months later and offer me the $5,000 seats, I said I thought they were all sold out???… I said no, shady business… they called me a month ago and offered me NO PSL seats… I said your organization is a joke, trying to gauge their fans, when I was willing to pay 5G they tried to get 10 out of me… I hope they lose every game now, when Woody sells the team maybe I’ll root for them, until then they are the joke of the NFL… going to be great when that locker room implodes.

47. Kittymama says: Jul 13, 2010 9:14 AM

Wow! A PFT writer actually says something nice about the Dolphins. It must kill you to know that Parcells brought Pennington to the Dolphins. Maybe you could ask Serena Williams to make a comment about that.

48. tom coughlin's coat holder says: Jul 13, 2010 9:38 AM

#goragtop….thanks for the excellent point,too bad so few people feel that way.

49. quadya says: Jul 13, 2010 9:38 AM

I couln’t think of a better person to coach kids….100% CLASS ACT

50. smithopher says: Jul 13, 2010 9:39 AM

Its funny reading all the dolphin fans comments on this page… None of you have the right to talk, at least when the Jets and their fans open their mouths the team takes it to the AFC Championship in late January, not South Beach and golf courses. People like to say the Jets spend oh so much money but they’ve got what the 11th highest payroll in the NFL right now? I just read that on this site somewhere. That means there are teams spending more than they are, which says that they’re either smart for getting so much talent for the price they’re paying, or a lot of teams are just overpaying for their players. As for Pennington, I was always a fan of his, he’s a real class act and very accurate for short to mid range passes. He has such a weak arm though, it really puts a strain on the offense when you don’t have that capability to stretch the field with a long throw. I think it fits his personality to want to be a high school football coach down in Tennessee somewhere. Good for him.

51. SomeFans says: Jul 13, 2010 9:46 AM

Sharkattack- interesting spin but Henne has much more upside than CP-10 @ this point. He will improve as last year was really his first year to actually play. That arm can’t be discounted. He serves as a mentor and has been a great addition to the Miami Dolphins. A team he loves and he will retire a Dolphin.
    Just another in a long list of jests blunders. Typical for the 7th worst NFL franchise.

52. Spygate Operative #1 says: Jul 13, 2010 9:53 AM

Chad Pennington: class act
    JetsAreAJoke: ass act
    carlito from golfito: donkey act

53. Didier says: Jul 13, 2010 10:00 AM

I once shared a commuter flight with Mr. Pennington, his wife, and two children.
    I never spoke to him, but just observed his demeanor and interaction with his wife and children.
    There were very few people on the mid-week flight and he had no reason but to be completely himself.
    I’ll never forget him playing with a small plastic dinosaur with his children and the gentle way he interacted with both his wife and children.
    One day, every professional athlete’s career will end; the cheers will be for someone else; and all that will be left will be the memories.
    Really, most professional athletes are like Mr. Pennington — just good people who’ve made the most of God-given talent. Sadly, it is a minority of their ill-behaved colleagues who get most of the attention.
    After seeing Mr. Pennington on that plane, I know that whatever life has in store for him, he’ll be just fine because he’s a family man with the right priorities who makes good choices and places others above himself.
    A lesson for us all.

54. JetsAreAJoke says: Jul 13, 2010 10:11 AM

smithopher says:
    July 13, 2010 9:39 AM
    ___________________________________
    This is a joke right? The stupid jests fans have been saying the same thing for years and years and because last year the Colts lay down and the jests luck into the playoffs you’re going to say they always make it to the AFC Championship? What about the second year of the Mangini regime? I read the EXACT same talk from jests fans. How’d that work out for the jests? Gotta love the jests fans and their blind allegiance.

55. JetsAreAJoke says: Jul 13, 2010 10:15 AM

Chad Pennington: class act
    JetsAreAJoke: Class act
    carlito from golfito: Class act
    Spygate Operative #1: Stupid jests fan dreamer that knows NOTHING about football (or anything else from what we all can tell).

56. Spygate Operative #1 says: Jul 13, 2010 10:57 AM

@JetsareAJoke
    Perhaps you dont read my posts nimrod. When I do post something concerning football, it is backed up by cold hard facts.Your posts are always concluded with a personal attack on the Jets and their fans and contain your opinons not facts. My football IQ is far superior to yours. (regular IQ also) So go put on your favorite Tues. night dress and tape your package to your thigh. Le Bare is waiting for you.
    Have a good time missy.

57. BigTony300 says: Jul 13, 2010 12:32 PM

Pennington will be a great HS coach if you don’t ever want them to throw a pass longer than 14 yards.

58. moolah954 says: Jul 13, 2010 12:41 PM

As a Jet fan I do appreciate what Chad Pennington did for the team all those years. That whole Brett Farve act pissed me off from start to finish.The reason why I like Mark Sanchez is cause he is like a more mobile Chad. It just sucks that he went to the fins and got destroyed. Hes a stand-up guy and he has plenty of money to go do what he wants. If there is anyone I would want to coach some kids and help guide our next generation in the right direction its Chad.

59. JetsAreAJoke says: Jul 13, 2010 12:44 PM

@Spygate Operative #1
    Sounds to me like you’re just a little too interested in “my package”. As for having a higher IQ than anyone. All I can say to that is Ahhhhhhh ha ha ha ha ha ha. That’s hilarious. Cold hard facts? Again, Ahhhhhh ha ha ha ha ha ha. Your facts are what you make up in your little mind and spew off as truth. As a jest fan, I’m surprised you can even spell IQ.

60. JetsAreAJoke says: Jul 13, 2010 12:46 PM

@moolah954 — exactly HOW is Sancheezy “like a more mobile Chad”?
    Or is this just another one of those kind of “facts” that Spygate Dorkative speaks of?

61. gazretired says: Jul 13, 2010 1:25 PM

The words most associated with CP are always class act. And rightfully so.

62. Spygate Operative #1 says: Jul 13, 2010 2:15 PM

@JetsAreAJoke
    The best youcan come up with is AhhhhHaHaHa?
    Come on son. Put a little effort into it like when your chokin the chicken while staring at your poster of Marino on your bedroom wall.
    Change your handle to “I want Henne to egg crate me”
    As far as Chad Pennington goes, hated to lose him. He gave us some good seasons and our best playoff game. 41 – 0 over the Colts. Good man and a good QB

63. JetsAreAJoke says: Jul 13, 2010 4:18 PM

@Spygate Dorkative,
    Again, you seem to be just a little too interested in my package/chicken. You’re starting to worry me. Does your mommy know you’re in the basement typing things like that?

64. The Real Shuxion says: Jul 14, 2010 9:49 AM

Better than being a swimming coach:
    Chad: “Good workout Billy.”
    Billy: “Up yours sackbreath.”
    Chad: “That’s Mister Pennington.”

65. jimmyd10 says: Jul 15, 2010 11:31 AM

Chad was nothing more than a class act while with the NY Jets. I think he would be a great coach at any level. By him wanting to be a HS coach show us all that he is clearly a great human and player. I wish you all the best..NY Still loves the guy.