Pit bull-loving Sims wants to "get on the same page" with Vick

Eagles linebacker Ernie Sims is a pit bull lover whose foundation says part of its mission is to “assist organizations that support animal humanity.”

So how does he feel about being traded to Philadelphia, where one of his new teammates, Michael Vick, used to get his kicks by treating pit bulls in a manner that was anything but humane?

Sims said at a pit bull parade hosted by his foundation in his hometown of Tallahassee, Florida, that he looks forward to talking to Vick.

“I really want to get on the same page with him to assure the pit bull community that he really is trying to help our breed and what he did is in the past,” Sims told WCTV.

Sims sounds like he’s ready to accept at face value Vick’s claims that he’s a changed man. But it’s hard to square Vick’s former practice of electrocuting, hanging, and drowning dogs with the way Sims feels about pit bulls.

“It’s a different kind of love,” Sims said of the way he feels about dogs. “I mean I’ve got love for my mom. I’ve got love for my wife but all those loves are different than the love I have for a animal. It’s almost like they’re helpless and always so kind and gentle. And they’re always so happy to see me, that’s what I love about them.”

Permalink 65 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
65 Responses to “Pit bull-loving Sims wants to "get on the same page" with Vick”
  1. TexasBubba says: Jul 12, 2010 12:02 PM

Vick responds ” Duh I didn’t do anything wrong”

2. Turd_Spelunker says: Jul 12, 2010 12:02 PM

Kick his ass, Sims.

3. numberfour says: Jul 12, 2010 12:04 PM

well it better be a quick hello. cause then ookie will have to say buh bye. but he will be nearby as he cannot leave PA.

4. Cmoney20 says: Jul 12, 2010 12:04 PM

5. Sow Crates says: Jul 12, 2010 12:09 PM

I think he expressed an honest opinion, even if it wasn’t a deep probe. Come on though, the guy was shipped out for value that does not equate to his draft status or the $ he was paid, so he has to fight for his job, and that starts with not criticizing a player that the Eagles have risked plenty and spent plenty to keep around. Why ask him this?

6. 60minuteassassin says: Jul 12, 2010 12:09 PM

—————————————-
    Don’t forget swinging them around by their collar and slamming them into the ground or bludgeoning them to death.
    I’m sure I am leaving out a few vicious ways they felt the need to destroy these dogs.
    Simms said it best…” It’s almost like they’re helpless and always so kind and gentle.” I think this helps to explain why some people are so offended by Vick’s actions. He does deserve a second chance, but his margin for error is small.

7. Chapnasty2 says: Jul 12, 2010 12:11 PM

Hopefully Sims does what all of us other dog lovers wish we could, ignore the red jersey and take Vick’s head off.

8. numberfour says: Jul 12, 2010 12:12 PM

he got multiple chances already.

9. njhitman says: Jul 12, 2010 12:12 PM

Just don’t let him watch your dogs . Your come home and find a fighting pit in your yard

10. robert ethen says: Jul 12, 2010 12:12 PM

“Animal humanity”. Well, charity begins at home, boys. As they say.

11. brownsfn says: Jul 12, 2010 12:15 PM

Pit bulls are the best dogs in the world to own if you treat them right…i have one myself…

12. Buck Melanoma says: Jul 12, 2010 12:15 PM

As a pit bull owner & lover, I applaud Sims for his attitude.
    Thanks for attracting the typical BS remarks, Florio.

13. poonhok says: Jul 12, 2010 12:17 PM

“Oh my god, you guys just dont stop. At this point, you are just pathetic and embarrassing. ”
    ======
    ==============
    Almost as pathetic as someone who HATES this site visiting it on a regular basis…

14. Mooch says: Jul 12, 2010 12:18 PM

Yet another starter making less than 32-snaps Cakeface.
    That’s great for morale.

15. The RBM says: Jul 12, 2010 12:19 PM

(lol) Wow….

16. robert ethen says: Jul 12, 2010 12:24 PM

“Who let the cons out? Woof woof! Who let the cons out?!?”

17. bigrig says: Jul 12, 2010 12:26 PM

Where are all the Einsteins who said nothing would come of the shooting incident. If your p.o. is restricting your travel to events such as youth football camps and charity golf tourneys, it’s looking like the p.o. doesn’t trust you. So he puts the clamps on you.
    Like they say, 70% of cons go back to prison. One reason is they don’t understand they can’t live like completely free people. Going to a party is normally not a big deal, but when you are on probation it is a big deal. And when trouble breaks out, the felons in attendance are going to be the first ones accused. That’s life.

18. tony325 says: Jul 12, 2010 12:28 PM

I love how Mike Florio edits his own page comments…. why can’t you just let them post & scan for vulgarity… YOUR A CHUMP!

19. DanSnyderSux says: Jul 12, 2010 12:29 PM

poonhok says:
    July 12, 2010 12:17 PM
    ======
    ==============
    Amen, Poonhok!

20. johnthehillboy says: Jul 12, 2010 12:31 PM

:-) thanks to everyone above who pointed out Cmoney and Vick are just D-Bags.
    Not too sure what RBM is laughing about?

21. Chapnasty2 says: Jul 12, 2010 12:32 PM

What is funny is that Vick supporters who are just morons come on here and bash Florio for providing these small blurbs about the new rumors surrounding Vick. It is clear that he is just trying to generate some traffic and at the same time entertain his readers. If Vick supporters had an ounce of intelligence they wouldn’t respond and try to get into arguments with those of us smart enough to not support Vick.

22. Cruells says: Jul 12, 2010 12:33 PM

Why don’t you PFT guys just start a page for all the Vick talk and stop posting Vick news on this site..
    It’s getting a bit much..

23. TFormation says: Jul 12, 2010 12:33 PM

Vick, of course, never admitted electrocuting or hanging dogs… if he had, I doubt he would be playing in the NFL at all right now, and might still be in prison.
    And of course Sims is taking Vick at face value. He’s the new guy on the team. What is he supposed to do? Make a big public stink? Make himself a pariah in the locker room and piss of the front office of his new team before he even plays a pre-season down?

24. robert ethen says: Jul 12, 2010 12:35 PM

The dogs are always happy to see Ernie. He’s so ugly they find it cute.

25. TylerDurden says: Jul 12, 2010 12:41 PM

Why not bring up Ray Lewis’ past discretions as well. Oh yeah and Albert Haynesworth forehead stomp. And Donte Stallworth’s manslaughter case. Hey, didn’t Jon Gruden once get a DUI? We should hold that against him too. In fact, all these NFL players are probably guitly of something. Shoot, just make it up, Mike. Terry Bradshaw didn’t seem to bitch much when you guys said he was dead. (Jan 25, 2007 – http://archive.profootballtalk.com/1-16-07through1-31-07.htm) Who’s gonna care if it’s accurate or not anyway……right?

26. JunkYardDogg1156 says: Jul 12, 2010 12:41 PM

TFormation says: July 12, 2010 12:33 PM
    =========================
    Actually, yes he did:
    # 83
    It’s all in print right there.

27. Marv_Sleezy says: Jul 12, 2010 12:43 PM

Yet Sims probably wasnt even considered for the Ed Block courage award.

28. numberfour says: Jul 12, 2010 12:44 PM

yeah they probly think he’s a boxer.
    and they see vick as the ass end of a boxer.

29. mmdd1111 says: Jul 12, 2010 12:45 PM

Hey TFormation, get your facts straight. Vick ADMITTED to killing dogs with his bare hands. He admitted hanging, electrocuting, drowning and slamming them to the ground. Until you know what you’re talking about, don’t make comments. Makes you look stupid. Although, anyone who defends this POS is stupid.

30. wydok says: Jul 12, 2010 12:45 PM

“Pit bull parade”?

31. fastfred21 says: Jul 12, 2010 12:56 PM

damn the vick media circus is getting old–can’t wait to hear more on farve at this point

32. bakler5 says: Jul 12, 2010 1:00 PM

Pit Bulls are the best dogs you can own. I wouldn’t trade mine for any other dog in the world.

33. ICDogg says: Jul 12, 2010 1:07 PM

}}”I really want to get on the same page with him to assure the pit bull community that he really is trying to help our breed and what he did is in the past,” Sims told WCTV. {{
    To me that sounds like he is very diplomatically saying that he is skeptical.

34. poonhok says: Jul 12, 2010 1:11 PM

For the ignorant, willfully or otherwise:
    The outrage is NOT because Vick killed dogs. It is the MANNER in which he killed them.
    The way he gleefully TORTURED them exposes a pathos usually reserved for serial killers (and yes, BrownEyedRedneck, black guys can be serial killers, see: Grim Sleeper).
    Besides that, he was the mastermind (as it were) of a small criminal circus…

35. ICDogg says: Jul 12, 2010 1:16 PM

I also have to wonder if his hosting a pit bull parade this year was, in some way, inspired by him being traded to the same team as Vick.

36. kosarsmyidol says: Jul 12, 2010 1:17 PM

There’s a lot of prejudice against pit bulls where I’m from. I never was around many until I started going to a dog park. The pit bulls that go there are some of the friendliest, most playful dogs around. I’d get one.
    It’s a shame that people take advantage of their physical characteristics to turn them into fighters. I wish Ernie Sims luck with his charity.

37. famucancer says: Jul 12, 2010 1:19 PM

Skip Gayless admits to letting his dogs eat the food from his plate and kiss him on the mouth…some of the posters here seem to be that same kind of “animal lover”…..ugh.

38. Arizona Buckeye says: Jul 12, 2010 1:19 PM

Karma is REALLY coming around Vick for some payback now… I hope he thoroughly crushes him in practice then invites him over to his house for some dinner and oops, pit bulls accidentally maul him to death then piss on his head

39. TexasBubba says: Jul 12, 2010 1:26 PM

Bubba would bet Vick never tortured a pitbull unless his entourage of ass kissers were around to say what a man. You be one tough dawg.

40. Zinn says: Jul 12, 2010 1:28 PM

I don’t the Vick hate articles and general Vick Circus articles that Florio loves to run. Mainly because the posters here are so juvenile and moronic. But I have to say I really liked the Sims quote. Ernie Sounds like an impressive human being. Good for him.

41. HarrisonHits says: Jul 12, 2010 1:33 PM

Hopefully when their in contact drills he’ll smash Vick up and put him out of the league since Goodell won’t do what he should be doing and ban Vick.

42. Bigbluefan says: Jul 12, 2010 1:33 PM

Just remember
    Hide your beagle Vicks and eagle
    And for those of you who do not understand why the hate
    Most of the crimes commited by NFL players are in the thug community
    Killing harmless house pets for no reason shows just how low of a douchbag vick is
    This was not a one time bad call were someone was drunk and drove this was a on going hate filled program that he will never ever be forgiven for

43. aligreene says: Jul 12, 2010 1:49 PM

F A PIT BUL the most savage dog there is,a harmless house pit these dogs are so jealos that they maul little kids on the regular ………dont you guys read anything other than sports ……the dog should be banned in the usa f a pit bull

44. bigrig says: Jul 12, 2010 1:51 PM

Which of the following is the dumbest move:
    Eagles signing Vick.
    Eagles giving Vick roster bonus.
    Get rich quick schmoes paying Vick in advance for appearances.
    Vick groupies professing their unconditional man love in public.
    Looks like a four way tie.

45. Cmoney20 says: Jul 12, 2010 1:52 PM

Poonhok & Dansnydersux,
    Look I realize your racist and white but stop stalking me. Who said I hate this site? Wow your creeping me out you two. Are you guys lovers? Im just asking because men who usually put other mens name in their username and sucks afterwards are usually not the straightest people out there?
    Let me know in about 3 or 4 years when Ernie Sims comes home from a hard practice and has to deal with his dog ripping a little girls leg off. They shouldnt be domesticated anyway, anyone who has a pitbull is an idiot in the first place.

46. longestlegs says: Jul 12, 2010 1:58 PM

tony325 says:
    July 12, 2010 12:28 PM
    ———————————————–
    “you’re”

47. Chapnasty2 says: Jul 12, 2010 2:01 PM

Anyone who thinks properly trained pit bulls are bad animals are ignorant idiots much like Vick supporters.

48. Cmoney20 says: Jul 12, 2010 2:02 PM

BigRig wins the award for “most jealous man in America over another grown man he doesnt even know”
    Yikes. You are out of control sir. Your so angry over a man you dont even know haahahaha really weird. All of you.

49. SomeFans says: Jul 12, 2010 2:08 PM

Not to worry Sims…. Vicks day are numbered. He’ll be cut soon.

50. Cmoney20 says: Jul 12, 2010 2:23 PM

“Anyone who thinks properly trained pit bulls are bad animals are ignorant idiots much like Vick supporters”
    Im hoping this is a joke. And if it isnt, I hope a pit bull hurts someone very close to you for being so dumb.

51. Iceberg Slim says: Jul 12, 2010 2:30 PM

I wonder if Sims knows that hundreds of years of game breeding is why the dogs are so great today…

52. stanjam says: Jul 12, 2010 2:33 PM

Vick deserves a second chance? Sure, but not in the NFL. It should be considered a privilege to play, and he abused that, and in a horrific manner. Where do we draw the line? Had Vick done this to humans he certainly wouldn’t have been given a second chance (unless he only killed people at strip clubs, which seems to be okay). What about his behavior deems it necessary to give him a second chance? Nothing as far as I can see.
    So far he has given only lip service to the fact that he is a changed person. He has done the bare minimum to redeem himself, and that was BEFORE recent events. He holds parties, and opens them up to trouble. At this party he had, in attendance was one of his old felon buddies, a fellow dog torturer. Yeah, he has sure changed, huh?
    Vick is still all about himself, and he has done nothing to change anyone’s mind. He takes money to show at events that he doesn’t show at, and doesn’t do anything to make up for it, just a 2AM phone call by an associate to tell them that he will not be there for the children, tough. Does he DO anything for these kids?

53. bigrig says: Jul 12, 2010 2:36 PM

@CMoney20
    Struck a nerve, didn’t I? But, just so ya know:
    Eagles made huge mistake by signing Vick in the first place. Production just wasn’t there.
    Eagles compounded their mistake with roster bonus. Vick’s off field issues would no longer concern them if they had released him in March.
    Entrepeneurs getting involved with Vick in the first place. You reap what you sow.
    Vick Groupies. Defending someone with NO on field production in the last three years and a criminal record. Enough said.
    Hope that clears it up for you, Einstein.

54. Chapnasty2 says: Jul 12, 2010 2:42 PM

Well “Cmoney”, I own one that I purchased from a neighborhood very close to Virginia Tech from someone who bragged about knowing Vick. He is without a doubt one of the best animals I have ever owned in my life and is loved and trusted by absolutely every one of my friends including those with young children. In fact they fight over who watches him when I go out of town and he is also more trusted than my Golden Retriever. Again you are ignorant and I hope this bit of education can help cure your ignorance.

55. CaptainMarvel says: Jul 12, 2010 2:51 PM

Anyone who enjoys the suffering of dogs, and bizarre ways of killing them like electrocution, drowning, beating, etc…..well I don’t know what else he’d do if he could get away with it. But I think Vick’s a scumbag.

56. gr8fully says: Jul 12, 2010 2:53 PM

Pit’s can be great pets, but you need to know their lines to ensure they’ve not been bred from fighting stock. Pit’s aren’t the problem, the people that train them are. I’ve known pit’s that lived long lives with kids who were toddlers when their family bought the dog and teens when the dogs died and never had a problem, but those dogs weren’t from fighting stock. Any animal can be made mean, poodles or pits it makes no difference.

57. leaguemvp says: Jul 12, 2010 3:07 PM

sims thinks like a non hater, the rest of you guys, well, that’s another story.

58. reed380 says: Jul 12, 2010 3:11 PM

Vick will be back behind bars before the season starts.

59. mission says: Jul 12, 2010 3:27 PM

I’m glad to not see a barrage of anti-Pit comments here… they’re great dogs as many other people have said.
    I’ve owned tons of dogs since a child and my current pit bull (“Dahla”) is an angel around my kids and any family/friends that come over. I’m glad that Sims is doing stuff to help the breed’s reputation. I always kinda liked him — now I know why. :)

60. BlitzburghGator says: Jul 12, 2010 4:05 PM

Good for Sims, even if he is an ex-Nole.. ;)
    And yes, Vick’s going to be cut soon anyways, so that talk may never happen.
    But nice to see someone talking up pits, they are awesome dogs when raised right…

61. Jaxeagle says: Jul 12, 2010 4:25 PM

The comments on this site make coming to this site worth it, you have people talking about nonsense that has nothing to do with football. Bringing race into everything and who’s an idiot and who’s smart just insulting everyone and everybody. But the same grown men typing are the same ones rooting for whoever their favorite teams are regardless of the members of that team do away from the field so all you people hating on everything about the NFL stop watching and stop coming to this site.

62. Heywood Jablowme says: Jul 12, 2010 4:25 PM

Chapnasty2 says:
    July 12, 2010 12:11 PM
    ————————————————–
    I agree 100%. Well said.
    Damn, I wish the Eagles never signed that piece of crap Vick. Kudos to Sims. It looks like I’m quickly becoming a fan.

63. Tdk24 says: Jul 12, 2010 4:41 PM

“our breed”?

64. funi says: Jul 12, 2010 5:35 PM

Sims: Why did you do that to pitbulls?
    Vick: Easy money bitch!
    Sims: Shit, show me the money!

65. NationalFelonLeague.com © says: Jul 12, 2010 8:46 PM

Ernie Sims just made my top 10 favorite players list.