Deshea Townsend wants to keep playing

Aside from a speculative suggestion from ESPN’s Mike Reiss in February that the Patriots might have interest, former Steelers cornerback Deshea Townsend has generated little buzz in free agency.  Townsend’s lack of a market is no surprise, as he was one of the main culprits for the demise of Pittsburgh’s pass defense last season, and turns 35 before Week One.

As noted by Rosenthal in Tuesday morning’s one-liners, Townsend isn’t giving up.
I had some conversations [with teams],” Townsend told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.  “There’s always going to be a need for a corner somewhere. … If something happens in training camp … maybe.”
Townsend has pegged his market value properly.  He’s likely viewed by NFL teams as no more than a fall-back signing in the event of injury.
“I want to play one or two more years,” he added.  “But if it doesn’t happen, I have a lot of other stuff going on with health care and doing a lot of work with my foundation.”  Townsend works with children who lack health insurance and sponsors preventative care.
He also has a plan in case no teams come calling.
“My ultimate goal is it would be great to be the next Kevin Colbert,” Townsend said, referencing the Steelers’ director of football operations.  “To be like Kevin, to be like [Ravens G.M.] Ozzie Newsome, a general manager who understands what type of players teams need and go out and find them.”
Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
10 Responses to “Deshea Townsend wants to keep playing”
  1. robert ethen says: Jul 13, 2010 12:26 PM

He wants to be the next Kevin Colbert so he can cut guys like Deshea Townsend.

2. ZombieRevolution says: Jul 13, 2010 12:28 PM

“Townsend works with children who lack health insurance and sponsors preventative care.”
    Quite a few of the players do chartiable acts like this, but if you read PFT the only thing you hear about is contract holdouts (or how the contract is not what the agent says it is) or arrests.

3. stiller43 says: Jul 13, 2010 12:32 PM

# robert ethen says: July 13, 2010 12:26 PM
    He wants to be the next Kevin Colbert so he can cut guys like Deshea Townsend.
    ————————————————–
    Good one…except Townsend was never cut by the Steelers.

4. stiller43 says: Jul 13, 2010 12:35 PM

# ZombieRevolution says: July 13, 2010 12:28 PM
    —————————————————
    There are a lot of negative things on the site, but think about it logically…
    How exciting is it when a reporter has a story of somebody doing good vs. when a reporter has a story of some scandal, regardless of what it is?
    It’s most definitely a scandal, or something negative…and since this site feeds on what others put out, they regurgitate more negative things than positive.
    Reading a bunch of stories of “good-doing” all day everyday would get really old really fast.

5. FaithRevolution says: Jul 13, 2010 12:39 PM

@ ZombieRevolution
    “PFT devotes quite a bit of time to the negative side of the NFL and the mundane daily transactions but relatively little on the positive side of things.”
    PFT has singlehandedly turned me against the NFL. I rarely watch it anymore and I just happened to check in on this website today, otherwise, I have quit reading PFT as well. Thanks, Florio.

6. GRpatriot says: Jul 13, 2010 12:46 PM

I think that interest in Deshea was a couple of years ago? I’d rather see Ty Law come back, then retire!

7. ronmexico says: Jul 13, 2010 1:10 PM

I don’t think Deshea was part of the problem with the pass defense last year. If they’d have started him at safety they probably wouldn’t have spent so much time watching Tyrone Carter spinning like a top everytime someone went by him.

8. TryTheVeal says: Jul 13, 2010 1:53 PM

@ZombieRevolution
    I agree 100%…Having been a PFT devoutee for years, I fully understand how the site has suits to answer too now and i don’t begrudge them for doing what a website is based on…Traffic..I enjoy this site and rarely go to any other for my football news, i enjoy reading the comments where fans of opposing teams bust balls, and have joined in the fray many times. It’s fun and i don’t take it all that serious. I mean, even robert ethan and his lame ass one liners make me laugh from time to time. But at some point, a story about a good decent man doing good things would be refreshing…It seems to be too and far between, i know many pro athletes give back, and many are jackasses, but i would rather read about a guy who helps kids, and is a decent man, like Townsend, then to read about Roethlisburger or one of his buddies pissing on a golf course….

9. myspaceyourface says: Jul 13, 2010 2:34 PM

Didn’t Obammy just give everyone FREE HEALTH CARE.
    Cause over.

10. PittsburghSteelerz says: Jul 13, 2010 10:01 PM

myspaceyourface says:July 13, 2010 2:34 PM
    Didn’t Obammy
    just give everyone
    FREE HEALTH CARE.
    Cause over.
    ——————————–
    I hope you’re kidding…. there’s no free healthcare…. you’ll now just get fined by the IRS if you don’t BUY health insurance.