Packers could have third-rounder signed by the weekend

The Green Bay Packers have three unsigned rookies.  By the end of the week, the number could be down to two.

According to Kareem Copeland of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, third-round safety Morgan Burnett is closing in on a deal.

“Before this week is out is a possibility of the deal possibly being
done,” agent Robert Brown told Copeland.  “You’re just trying to make sure your guy gets all
he’s entitled to based on the numbers that are floating around.”

Also unsigned in Green Bay are first-round offensive tackle Bryan Bulaga and defensive lineman Mike Neal.

54 responses to “Packers could have third-rounder signed by the weekend

1. In unrelated, more important news the Green Bay McDonalds will be introducing the triple bacon Third-Pounder burger.

2. One of the perks for Burnett is he gets to pad his stats with all those Bert Favrah INTs that will come his way.

3. “There are all these numbers floating around”, said agent Brown, “so we made a contract demand that is straight out of the rabbit hole of Alice in Wonderland.”.

4. Love how we snatched this guy away from the Bears. They did draft a safety but Burnett was their guy. Rookie has been sharp during OTA’s, prolly start along side the All Pro Collins to start the year. Atari Bigby is making a huge mistake not signing his tender.

5. # BuckyBadger says: July 13, 2010 3:46 PM
    “Lets get them in camp on time. Also lets go get a corner.”
    Pat Lee and Brandon Underwood can backup Tramon and Woodson just fine.

6. Excellent. From coaches and player comments, this guy is poised to see some significant playing time (if not starting) if he can carry his spring performance through TC.

7. GobiasINC_1 says:
    July 13, 2010 3:40 PM
    I blame Ted Thompson for everything wrong in my life.
    ———–
    Sorry you still have your boxers in a bundle over the Brett Favre fiasco but I suggest you get over it. I have criticized Ted in the past but have been proven wrong in most cases. Ted has built a very good young core of players and the Pack have look to being a perennial powerhouse. Sure he has missed on some 1st round picks but he has also had some major finds that more than make up for it. We know have a 3-5 year window to get a championship, not many fans can say that.

8. I’m a Packer fan and can honestly say the is a piece of non-news. You gonna post each time a team is about to sign a draft pick?

9. The Real Shuxion says:
    July 13, 2010 3:45 PM
    You joke, but those fat a$$es actually had one in the 90s. They called it the Gilbert berger and Wisconsinites ate it up. The average weight of Wisconsin went up 10 lbs.

10. BuckyBadger, that was sarcasm. You know, making fun of all those who swing from Favre’s…well…you get the picture.
    I think Ted is a flawed GM but has done much more good for the Packers than bad. Despite what the jilted Favre lovers have to say.
    FoF, here’s a little thing for you to eat up:

Get used to this. Our boy Morgan Burnett will be doing this a lot to your gray-bearded idol.

11. The Green Bay Packer are always working, always progressing, and always getting the job done.
    For a team that didn’t need to sign any draft picks for this season it sure is great to see Ted Thompson masterfully stock the roster with talent for future years.
    Everything is going great for the Packers.

12. Hey…F0S…save your breath..after all..you just walked up one flight of stairs!
    1 of 4 Minnesotans is too fat; survey confirms State Fair sightings Source: Star Tribune Minneapolis : MN : USA | Jun 30, 2010

13. Non news. He’s a third round draft pick that almost certainly will be signed at some point. Nobody has any real idea if he’ll be a good player or even a starter this season or any other.
    I opened this link thinking maybe he was some type of polarizing character that I could use to slew some type of trash talk at this sensitive fanbase but was disappointed to find nothing.
    In fact, consider this a non-post to a non-story.

14. # sand0 says: July 13, 2010 5:03 PM
    In fact, consider this a non-post to a non-story.
    ————————————————
    And yet we still all had to read it.

15. Like Carol Burnett and Bulaga Sturgeon are going to save the sinking ship of the Green Bay Packers? We are looking at a team living in very desperate times. Millions in lost profits. An over the hill Woodcock. A coach 3 fries away from a brick heart. A gay QB who would rather kick the ball than take the hit. Add this to Favre and the hated Vikings putting 2 more spankings on them this season?? Oh my, WI will be like a grilled cheese sandwich.You all have my deepest sympathies!

16. Bob Nelson says: July 13, 2010 4:44 PM
    Everything is going great for the Packers.
    *********************************
    Bob, Bob, you know you’re my boy and I try not to disagree with you but… wha?????? Isn’t TT like 3 wins over .500 in 5 years as g.m. and he only has 1 playoff win in 5 years?? He’s signed like 1 Pro Bowl free agent in 5 years and he spent a #6 overall draft pick on AJ Hawk and he wasted a #1 on Harrell?
    So he didn’t need to sign any draft picks for this season why??? And everything is going great for the Packers how??? You think 17-15 and no division titles or playoff wins since Favre left is “great”??
    Please tell me you guys aren’t really happy with your team in the 5 years that Thompson has been running things. Tell me you’re not looking forward to another 5 years of .500 ball and 1 playoff win.

17. GobiasINC_1 says:
    July 13, 2010 4:25 PM
    FoF, here’s a little thing for you to eat up:
    http://www .youtube.com/watch?v =V_zlgCIIZkw
    ===================================
    Classic!!! This isn’t Detroit!!!! It’s really not that hard to understand why Viking fans are so bitter.

18. Walleyeman says: July 13, 2010 5:26 PM
    Gosh I love the Packers, GO PACK GO!! scream it as loud as you can!!
    *************************
    The entire universe, including all Packer fans in the universe, cringed in embarrassment for you after they read you saying
    “Gosh I love the Packers, GO PACK GO!! scream it as loud as you can!!”
    There is nothing you can ever do for the rest of your life that will clean the stain of mortification that you brought on yourself in the 10 seconds it took you to type
    “Gosh I love the Packers, GO PACK GO!! scream it as loud as you can!!”
    You should probably go someplace private and think about what you’ve done.

19. What do you Viking fans think Favre will do this year? The same as last years lucky season? Face it your team is not that good, after all you have all of the Packers rejects!

20. When I read Walleyman saying
    “Gosh I love the Packers, GO PACK GO!! scream it as loud as you can!!”
    I imagined Martin from the Simpsons squealing this as he’s skipping through a field of flowers shortly before he gets the crap beaten out of him by Nelson.

21. twizzlystick –
    Favre has been gone for 2 years…we played bad in 2008 losing a lot of games by less than a TD….2009 we were 5 games better taking 2nd in the division and grabbing a wild card.
    As far as talking about playoff wins the last 5 years:
    Packers: 1-2 … 1 NFCCG appearance
    Vikings: 1-2 … 1 NFCCG appearance
    Expectations are high once again…gonna be a tough year but if they can get the defense in order, who knows what will happen.

22. sand0 says:
    July 13, 2010 5:03 PM
    In fact, consider this a non-post to a non-story
    __________________________________
    You were hoping to find what? Says third rounder in the headlines. It’s called reading with comprehension.
    Pervy!!!
    I see you still got Contra stalking you. Amazing bro’ you turn up–there he is.

23. Why the Green Bay Packers Suck at Staying in Existence
    Lambeau Field has 73,000 seats. Approximately 125,000 people want to sit in those seats 10 times a year. This means that the tickets aren’t expensive enough. The Packers could probably double ticket prices across the board and still sell out for the season. The only reason teams don’t do stuff like this is because they’d get wrecked from a PR standpoint. “The Packers are selling out to rich corporate suits.” “They’re pricing out the average fan.” Here’s the problem: there are no rich people in Wisconsin. This isn’t New York where you have (had) seven figures worth of people with seven figure annual incomes. This is Green Bay, Wisconsin; both rich people probably have skyboxes. Furthermore, making people pay the true market value is a better way to get the biggest fans in the building than letting those whose grandparents were bored on Sundays in the 70’s have tickets. People who value the tickets the most will be willing to pay the most. Unfortunately, the Packers cannot implement this system, as they’re owned collectively by the town. This system prevents them from maximizing revenue, something that is absolutely critical for a team in the smallest major professional market in North America. In the long run, this lost revenue might end up forcing the team to move….L.A. is calling douchers!

24. “You’re just trying to make sure your guy gets all he’s entitled to based on the numbers that are floating around.”
    So much wrong with this statement..

25. Favre must just hate it when multiple national prognosticators call Rodgers the best QB in the NFL. I bet it drives him nuts. His super-sized ego can’t take that. Let’s see if his body holds up this year. My guess is it won’t. His offensive line is starting to fall apart. Last year’s beat down in the NFC championship game was just the beginning.

26. @Pervy
    Yet another post callin our QB/GM gay. Wow, that’s 400 million posts in a row with some sort of a gay mention. You are OBVIOUSLY trying to overcompensate for something. I know you cannot help yourself because your a homophobe, but try, just try for once to make a reasonable comment without resorting to the lowest common denominator. Whats wrong? Mommy find your stash of man magazines?

27. @twizzlystick
    “Gosh I love the Packers, GO PACK GO!! scream it as loud as you can!!”
    By far and away the best comment I have read in a long, long time!

28. irishgary says:
    July 13, 2010 7:28 PM
    I didn’t know pervy and contra were snorkeling. Thanks for the update
    ————————————————–
    Bills in the mail dude! I get 1200 for borrowing my snorkeling insult. Glad i can help out a loser. Phone sex operators hang up on you Gayry.

29. packrulzm says: I know you cannot help yourself because your a homophobe, but try, just try for once to make a reasonable comment without resorting to the lowest common denominator.
    ————————————————–
    I wish you the best of luck in the
    emotional, and social struggles that seem to be placing such a
    demand on you.

30. @purpleNgold
    Yeah probably, or prolly..get it? Kid can play, you saw what a rookie starter Matthews did last year. Thompson knows what he’s doing.

31. For how many stupid comments that pervy harvin makes about ‘gay’ things I must make the conclusion that he is both dumbest and most flamboyant dude in his gang. Come out of the closet, pervy. You already wear purple and gold all the time. Let’s just make it official.
    *** Now I am guaranteed to receive a post from this guy about how gay the Packers GM is and how ERIN Rodgers doesn’t like girls. So sad and predictable. Oh, and he’ll include something about the Packers moving to LA. Which makes a lot of sense since the Vikings do not have a new stadium in place and almost get playoff games blacked out. Best fans in the NFL!
    In closing, remember when Gary Anderson missed that field goal? And you didn’t get to the Super Bowl? That was really funny. Come on, pervy, admit it.

32. @ Green n’ Gold
    Yes, Clay is a good player, but in general I like the idea of a rookie safety starting, it makes things easier.

33. GobiasINC_1 – The best part of you dried up on your moms thigh. I’m an ex fighter…I don’t dwell on past defeats.Just future victories nutsucker…

34. pervy harvin says:
    I don’t dwell on past defeats.Just future victories nutsucker…
    ___________________________________
    Spoken like a true Vikings fan…