Bengals say slow ticket sales are "everybody's concern"

The Buffalo Bills aren’t the only team struggling to sell tickets.

Bengals ticket manager Andrew Brown says his team — like most NFL teams — is concerned about the pace of ticket sales.

It’s everybody’s concern,” Brown told the Cincinnati Enquirer. “A few teams are set but most of us are in the same boat where sales have been slow. Everyone is looking for that answer as to what is going to work and trying a lot of different angles.”

Last year the Bengals needed blackout extensions for most of the season, even when they were in first place in the AFC North late in the year. This year they could be looking at more of the same. And if they’re not in playoff contention, even an extension to the 72-hour deadline might not be enough to keep the Bengals from their first blackout since 2003.

Permalink 80 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
80 Responses to “Bengals say slow ticket sales are "everybody's concern"”
  1. smuthe-eagle says: Jul 14, 2010 11:00 AM

Maybe if concessions and such were more affordable at games, more people would go. Paying $20 for parking after already buying the tickets for the event, then going inside and paying rediculous amounts on any food and drink you buy, $3 for a 50 cent bag of chips, things like that, why wouldn’t you just stay home and watch it from the comforts of your couch/recliner. I don’t have to worry about the drunk behind me dumping his beer on me at home either. Bottom line, make games more affordable to go to and people will go.

2. Alualuwho says: Jul 14, 2010 11:01 AM

So I guess they are going to LA now too, right Florio? Funny how you only mention that about the Jags everytime you say something about them. Why dont we Just give LA the Jags, Vikings, Bills and the Raiders. They are such a great football city, afterall. Keep the hate coming at Jacksonville, Florio…. and keep rooting for LA, they will show you how to black out games and lose a team better than anyone else.

3. Bdrunk says: Jul 14, 2010 11:03 AM

The only option left is to move the team somewhere they can be appreciated. Sorry Cincy :'(

4. HooskerDo says: Jul 14, 2010 11:06 AM

I thought only the Jags had issues?

5. Ollie says: Jul 14, 2010 11:07 AM

6. Shir Kuhn says: Jul 14, 2010 11:19 AM

The reason they can’t sell tickets is because they are dickheads and raised ticket prices yet again in a down economy. I have had tickets for 8 years now, and I DID NOT renew on the simple fact that my tickets went up every year but one. And before the bandwagon, not a real fan crap starts, it just wasn’t a good return on my money. I love the Bengals but I just couldn’t afford to pay anymore than I already did. Wake up Mikey boy, the people are hurting, how much do you really need to make???

7. theroc5156 says: Jul 14, 2010 11:21 AM

Yeah Ollie, because idiot bandwagon jumpers like you deserve to watch you favorite team on TV all the time.
    Let me guess, you are a die-hard Steeler fan but don’t like the Pirates?

8. ItalianArmyGuy says: Jul 14, 2010 11:21 AM

Schedule more home games against the Steelers. The Yinzer’s will fill your dumb-a$$ stadium, Bungals

9. JoeSchmoe says: Jul 14, 2010 11:23 AM

Agree with Smuthe above…
    When you factor in all the side crap, going to a game is one expensive ass proposition.
    $20 parking (jammed by the local lot owners who charge $4/day otherwise)
    $7 beers (which I could also pay to watch the game at a strip club and have a lot more fun during time outs)
    $6 hotdogs
    $6 nachos
    It all adds up to every single one of us feeling like we’re getting screwed on anything ancillary to the game.
    I buy peanuts and water, etc outside the stadium from vendors now though so it’s not that bad, but still. On top of the ridiculous price of the tickets themselves, you take a family and there goes the mortgage.

10. Ufanforreal says: Jul 14, 2010 11:25 AM

like most NFL teams — is concerned about the pace of ticket sales.
    ——————————————————Unless your a team that have waiting list for tickets, Packers, New England, the Colts just to name a few.

11. pft_b1ows says: Jul 14, 2010 11:34 AM

Gee Ufan, that was already mentioned in the article. Why don’t you learn how to read that way you wouldn’t miss the “A few teams are set but most of us are in the same boat where sales have been slow. Everyone is looking for that answer as to what is going to work and trying a lot of different angles.”

12. Ollie says: Jul 14, 2010 11:34 AM

I am not a band wagon jumper. I have been a die hard Steeler fan since about 1967, before the dynasty of the 70’s. And no I don’t like the Pirates. I am a Cincinnati Reds fan.

13. CurseofBoJackson says: Jul 14, 2010 11:34 AM

Yes, IAG, the Yinzers love to blow their whole paychecks every week following the team like a bunch of wacked out dead heads, be proud! Your entire life revolves around something completely out of your control, regardless of how many times you claim “You” have won 6 rings.
    On target, ticket sales are slow because that’s just how it is in a ‘small market’ at this point, and two years of relative success in the last twenty (regardless of rampant optimism surrounding this year’s team) with Mikey at the helm makes it tough for folks to rationalize spending the necessary cash to secure tickets before the season starts. Sell out streak with an asterisk will continue this year as well, mark it.

14. jwill007 says: Jul 14, 2010 11:36 AM

“I live in the Cincy area and I would love to see the Bengals games all blacked out. That way my chances of getting to see the Steelers on TV would be better. I would go to watch the game when the Steelers come to town. That game would never be blacked, because about 75% of the crowd are wearing black and gold!! ”
    Well how did it feel watching your team get PHYSICALLY BEAT UP in our house last year??? I dont give a damn about your teams 96 rings what about how you were beat last year and what will your team do this year????? Thats all I want to read from you Hater…LOL….You also didnt fill up our stadium last year either…..but I ASSURE YOU that if we dont make blackout we will have 95% Bengals fans in the stadium by gametime….We still may make sellout we just might not make sellout by 1PM on Thursdays which I think in this bad market is the dumbest rule in america….
    PS: Prepard to get SPANKED again in 2010 split most likely and a 2nd year sweep of you -ickheads is VERY POSSIBLE

15. DJSlyBri says: Jul 14, 2010 11:37 AM

What do you expect thanks to the Bush economy? The Republicans in Ohio have slowly destroyed that state financially. I don’t blame LeBron for bailing on that state, the way it is run by the Republicans.

16. BengalsDouche2 says: Jul 14, 2010 11:39 AM

Well I have to agree, you definitely spending 100+ if you want to go to a game down here. The tickets we have are 68 a piece. then you eat and drink so you’re well over 100 per game per person when all said and done. Not many people can do that comfortably now. Heck I shouldn’t be doing it but I will. I try to eat and drink before I go into the game but who can resist a stadium hot dog and a cold beer? LOL Even if they are $6 and 7.50 respectively. LOL SO yeah, the Bengals will more than likely have a few blackouts this year.

17. Ollie says: Jul 14, 2010 11:41 AM

The Bengals will never have the support that the Steelers do because Mike Brown is not commited to winning. I have never heard of the Bengals Nation.

18. dubbs says: Jul 14, 2010 11:45 AM

I’m a season ticket holder at Paul Brown and the ticket prices are ridiculous. I have lower section seats so its one thing to be paying $78 per seat, but they charge $60 something for the top row in the stadium. Who in their right mind would pay $65 to sit in the top row and barely see anything when they can stay at home or go to a bar and watch the game in HD. The nose bleeds should not be more the $35.

19. jj jones says: Jul 14, 2010 11:49 AM

London Bengals

20. BoltsFan says: Jul 14, 2010 11:55 AM

You know WHY teams raise ticket prices every year? Because players demand MORE money every year and owners lamely give it to them because both parties know that idiot fans will just swallow higher prices to park, buy tickets, eat food, etc. at game venues.
    When enough fans stop being so stupid and agreeing to that, owners will start cracking down on RIDICULOUS salaries and start adjusting prices downward. In it’s arrogance, the NFL is convinced that it’s fans brains are as empty as their wallets are becoming, and that those fans will hand over ever-increasing portions of their hard-earned incomes for the PRIVILEGE (sic) of coming to watch a professional football game.

21. Ollie says: Jul 14, 2010 11:57 AM

I dont give a damn about your teams 96 rings what about how you were beat last year and what will your team do this year????? Thats all I want to read from you.
    Odds were you were bound to beat us sometime. Look at the overall record. Even the Browns beat us after 14 straight losses to us. We will see who remains on top most of the time.

22. Ufanforreal says: Jul 14, 2010 11:59 AM

pft_b1ows says: July 14, 2010 11:34 AM
    ——————————————————
    Its called rubbing it in MR know it all.

23. Fat_Old_Sun says: Jul 14, 2010 12:01 PM

Got my tickets yesterday.
    Cant wait for the season to start.
    There will be no blackouts this year unless they bomb the first 5 games. Excitement is ramping up and ticket sales will pick up. Just not in July – Wait til mid August and early September.
    To the Steeler fan saying he hopes for blackouts.
    There were 3 steeler fans in section 226 last year. All three left in shame. lololololol
    Here is a comparison – I got 2 seats -10 games for $1200
    Im flying to Minny from Cleveland on Friday for $1200 round trip.
    Makes the tickets seem cheap.
    Bottom line is that if you want to go to a game- sacrifice something and save up. Im sure some of you fatties can skip a meal or two – or a smoke or two.
    Hey Florio – Cleveland hasn’t sold out yet either.

24. Iron Wolf says: Jul 14, 2010 12:02 PM

Seems like a greater and greater majority of people feel that it’s simply more enjoyable to watch the games on TV. If/when the Pats take a serious downturn, that season ticket waiting list might disappear in no time. The Pats historically never had the frenzied support that a place like Pittsburgh did, but that’s because they were a crap team with crap owners. Blind loyalty just isn’t part of the equation in Boston, and that can be both good and bad. People just weren’t going to pay to see an inferior product. Kraft has done a lot for the franchise so I hope that’s changed for good.

25. Whodeyz says: Jul 14, 2010 12:02 PM

There is one reason that the stadium doesn’t sell out. Consistency. This team has none of it. Of course I hate the Steelers as a Bengals fan…but that’s because they are our rival and they WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS. The teams that win will have no problem selling out tickets.
    If the Bengals want to sell out, then put a winning product on the field. Not a product that produces:
    No winning playoff games in 19 years
    2 division championships in 19 years
    2 winning seasons in 19 years
    No Super Bowl Victories in their history
    Yet, it’s surprising that fans don’t want to spend their money to go to a game? Common…
    It’s cut and dry. The Bengals keep getting better and become a consistent winning team, then they will begin to sell more tickets.
    Bengals fans are fed up with the product on the field Mike Brown. That’s why they don’t waste their money on tickets.

26. john says: Jul 14, 2010 12:02 PM

@HooskerDo says:
    July 14, 2010 11:06 AM
    I thought only the Jags had issues?
    ____________________________________
    Looks like you’ve been reading a little too much PFT…haters gonna hate

27. Cullen says: Jul 14, 2010 12:02 PM

Wake Up NFL…. The economy in general is in the crapper. Unemployment is sky high nationwide, and hovering around 11% in the Cincinnati area. It’s not that fans have lost heart in their teams, its the simple fact if they have to choose between food for the kids or spending $72 bucks a seat (for a cheap seat) where do you think the money will go? Even cities with much larger populations than Cincinnati are having trouble selling tickets. You also have to factor in ticket prices keep going up. My tickets last year for end zone seats 10 rows back were $69 a piece, this year they are $72 a piece, not to mention I have to buy two preseason games at full price (maybe the biggest crime in sports). Then you throw in sky high concessions and parking. Then the fans that can’t afford to go have to hope the game sells out or they are slapped with a black out. It just isn’t a good time to gouging the fan base, so I say wake up NFL! Lift the black outs for a couple of seasons, freeze ticket prices for a couple of seasons, lower concession and parking cost and your league will grow stronger as the economy regains its footing.

28. minhw0714 says: Jul 14, 2010 12:03 PM

Way to go Bengals fans . . . Who Dey? . . . (crickets and birds chirping)
    Mike Brown should follow LeBron and move the team to South Beach

29. Brian Sipe says: Jul 14, 2010 12:05 PM

Stiller fans = Worse then Ravens fans. (pompous)

30. Fat_Old_Sun says: Jul 14, 2010 12:10 PM

Ollie is a Reds fan?
    Why?
    Front Runner in 70’s?
    We will see in 10 years when the Steelers have missed playoffs in all ten years. Will you still be a die hard Steelers fan or will you grab on the the winning team then like it seems you did with the Reds.
    I want nothing less than a 5-10 year stretch for the Steelers to lose and see how many Real Steeler fans are actually Real. Its sooooo easy in the good years. I want see that city react in a long bad stretch.
    How the F can you be a Reds fan and a Steelers fan.
    I smell bandwagon somewhere there. Just not sure which.

31. Roethlisberger's Bitch Tits says: Jul 14, 2010 12:15 PM

I got an idea…. stop charging full price for preseason games. Bottom line, its just not worth it anymore.

32. KnuckleBucket says: Jul 14, 2010 12:17 PM

smuthe-eagle says:
    July 14, 2010 11:00 AM
    _________________________________
    I couldn’t agree more. By the time you pay for everything it becomes a rich mans day out. I would prefer to watch at home where the view of the plays is better, food is better, beer is cheaper etc…..

33. JackL says: Jul 14, 2010 12:25 PM

Cinncitucky will not make the playoffs this year and Carson will blow his knee out week 3. Season over and all Bungle fans can sit in front of their black out with their cousbands and fat nerdy kids.

34. Law-Deezie says: Jul 14, 2010 12:29 PM

Hey “BUNGLE” fans….here’s your win-loss record the past three DECADES…(ENJOY)
    1980’s – 81-71
    1990’s – 52-108
    2000’s – 68-91-1
    Such winners….
    Heres Pittsburghs:
    1980’s – 86 – 75
    1990’s – 93 – 67
    2000’s – 103 – 56 – 1

35. Jag4Life says: Jul 14, 2010 12:33 PM

Teams are struggling to sell tickets. It is what it is. Florio and his cronies want to paint doom and gloom on the Jags when in all actuality, Jags are selling tickets just fine and blackouts will not be a factor this season. As a matter of fact, we have the most new season ticket sells with 12, 706 and counting among all teams. Ignorant people like Florio and some people on here live in La-La land, but economy is a factor. The Bengals had a good year last year though. Kinda surprising that fans aren’t excited after coming off of a playoff season.

36. Law-Deezie says: Jul 14, 2010 12:37 PM

Hey BUNGLE FANS….a quote from one of your OWN named whodeyz:
    “I’ve been a Bengals fan for all 28 years of my life and I never miss a game. I live in Chicago, so I don’t have the opportunity to buy tickets often. But I can tell you why I wouldn’t even if I lived in Cincinnati.
    NO winning playoff games in 19 years
    2 division championships in 19 years
    2 winning seasons in 19 years
    NO SUPER BOWL VICTORIES IN THEIR HISTORY!!!!!!!
    Bengals fans are fed up with the product on the field Mike Brown. That’s why they don’t waste their money on tickets”.

37. Ollie says: Jul 14, 2010 12:40 PM

whodeyz, I could not have said it better.
    fat old sun, been a Reds fan since early 60’s.
    Gordy Coleman
    Johnny Edwards
    Tommy Harper
    Its easy to be a Steeler fan and a reds fan.

38. DRJ says: Jul 14, 2010 12:41 PM

Wait, wait, wait. I was under the impression only Jacksonville had ticket/blackout woes. Whattya know. And here’s the best part….in about 5 weeks PFT will be forced to print the “Jags sell out, no blackouts in 2010′ article because it’s about to happen folks. It’s almost a done deal. Uh oh…. who will be the whipping boy city after that?

39. Hal says: Jul 14, 2010 12:44 PM

JackL – was your comment even in English or was that Burg gutter slang?
    Law-Deezie – did you actually take the time to look up the records for Pitt and Cincy? Even Zippy the monkey knows that Pitt has been good and Cincy has been bad but thanks for pointing that out Captain Obvious! That said if I am buying stock in one of those two teams right now, it sure as hec would not be on the Steelers…Nice Bungal reference though, that was a good dig!

40. no nfl in la is no problem says: Jul 14, 2010 12:47 PM

Hey Bengal fan, hate to say it, but you could learn something about loyalty and passion from the stupid and annoying Steeler fans.

41. Whodeyz says: Jul 14, 2010 12:50 PM

Law-Deezie…
    As much as I would love to say I root for a Super Bowl Champion team…
    I WILL NEVER BE A STEELERS FAN!
    It sucks to root for the Bengals sometimes…but they are my team. Oh well.
    It’s becoming a great rivalry in recent years, and will be this year. It’ll be interesting to see what happens. I will be there NOV 8 for MNF, hopefully rooting on the Bengals to a win.
    Good luck this year.

42. Ollie says: Jul 14, 2010 12:56 PM

Hey “BUNGLE” fans….here’s your win-loss record the past three DECADES…(ENJOY)
    1980’s – 81-71
    1990’s – 52-108
    2000’s – 68-91-1
    Heres Pittsburghs:
    1980’s – 86 – 75
    1990’s – 93 – 67
    2000’s – 103 – 56 – 1
    This is worth a second look to all you Mike Brown lovers!

43. Whodeyz says: Jul 14, 2010 12:56 PM

I’m still a bengals fan…you have no idea how much loyalty and passion that takes…

44. Law-Deezie says: Jul 14, 2010 1:00 PM

@Hal….yea, I did look up the records….I’m kinda anal like that…also, you are probably right about this years potential…(Ouch, I hate saying something like that)…damn it Ben!!!
    @Whodeyz…you are a true Bungles fan…you ride or die with your team regardless of the “highs and lows”and I have nothing but respect for that….

45. Brad Miller says: Jul 14, 2010 1:03 PM

Good thing America’s Team will never have this problem. GO COWBOYS!!!!!

46. Crazycatfan says: Jul 14, 2010 1:12 PM

What?? Florio..Ticket Problems post without mentioning the JAGUARS..oh wait its posted by micheal david smith..LMAO

47. CincyAllDaWay says: Jul 14, 2010 1:17 PM

Law-Deezie says:
    July 14, 2010 12:37 PM
    ————————————————-
    Dude…I’d rather have an old lady that sucks c0ck for beer money than root for the Shitzburg Steelers! Have fun getting your ass stretched by the Brownies this year. You guys will be damn lucky if THEY don’t sweep you! Steelers will be in last place in the divison….bank on it. What a homo!

48. No-Neck says: Jul 14, 2010 1:23 PM

People who complain about concession prices are retarded. These are probably the same people who pony up $20 at the movie theater for popcorn and a drink. If you don’t want to pay for concessions, don’t buy them. If you can’t handle the pricing, go watch the UFL or an arena league game. Watch the games at home on your $1,500 flat screen. If a city doesn’t have enough die-hards to appreciate watching the game in person, then move the team to a city that does. It’s that simple.

49. rider-x says: Jul 14, 2010 1:24 PM

wait a minute… what NFl city did I see complaining about $7 beers. In jax youd be lucky to get a shot of Old Mill Pond for that price. Try $10 for a 12 once and higher for other drinks. Concessions are out of control

50. theroc5156 says: Jul 14, 2010 1:35 PM

Bengal fans are better than Steeler fans. It’s easy to be a Steeler fan and if it weren’t for those great (RE: Steroid-fueled) Steeler teams of the 70’s, nobody outside of Pittsburgh would be a fan of theirs.
    Same with Dallas Cowboy fans.

51. micktanner says: Jul 14, 2010 1:43 PM

Ticket sales in B-more are just fine, thank you! In fact, the season is SOLD OUT! Them losers in Cincy only support them when they ‘think’ that they might win more than they lose….only to get punked in the 1st round! Come see them Raves play in Texas next February if ya wanna see a winner!

52. Wizahdry says: Jul 14, 2010 1:49 PM

@smuthe-eagle
    $20 where do you live, its more like $30 here and with hd tv it just isn’t worth the hassle and expense to go to a game any more. I never saw the sense in blacking out a game that didn’t sell out. The NFL is hurting themselves more since obviously fans weren’t that interested in the game to begin with.

53. PARavensJeff says: Jul 14, 2010 1:50 PM

Law-Deezie says:
    July 14, 2010 1:00 PM
    @Hal….yea, I did look up
    Hey “BUNGLE” fans….here’s your win-loss record the past three DECADES…(ENJOY)
    1980’s – 81-71
    1990’s – 52-108
    2000’s – 68-91-1
    http://www.b engals.com/team/hist ory.html
    Such winners….
    Heres Pittsburghs:
    1980’s – 86 – 75
    1990’s – 93 – 67
    2000’s – 103 – 56 – 1
    ————————————————-
    & what was that mighty yellow & black record from the 1930’s thru the 1960’s & how many championships did they win in that time, before the steroid induced championships of the 70’s, the so called steroid dynasty? I always love how Stiller fans forget they had a team before the 70’s that sucked & the championships of the 70s were all because of the steroids!!

54. shaunypoo says: Jul 14, 2010 1:59 PM

Law-Deezie says:
    July 14, 2010 12:37 PM
    “Well said brother…c’mon over to the Steelers and see what it feels like to be a Champion “AT LEAST ONCE”…well six times but who’s counting…also you can experience the joy of a “PLAYOFF WIN”…..c’mon…we’ re waiting…”
    I have lots of respect for the Steelers and their winning ways, but my team is my team and you can’t pay me to be a bandwagon fan. The Steelers have enough of those. And please, will someone show me the ring they won?

55. HandsofSweed says: Jul 14, 2010 2:02 PM

Jwill:
    Did you say that the Bengals PHYSICALLY BEAT UP Pittsburgh in Cincy?
    Interesting. We had 2 sacks to your one and outrushed your team 102-100. You had less than 275 total yards of offense (100 yds less than us) and scored on an INT return. You also had to hold your breath and pray to God that Limas Sweed would drop that wide open, routine and totally uncontested TD pass in the endzone, by himself, 8 yards behind your defense. But he did, so we lose. Too bad for us.
    Reality says you won because you made no titanic, inexplicable, routine unforced errors. But physical domination? You’d have to put a DVD of the 2005 Wild Card game in Cincy to watch physical domination.

56. pft_b1ows says: Jul 14, 2010 2:03 PM

Ufan
    It doesn’t take a know it all to call out a moron. Like DJSly’s post for example, it is blatantly obvious.

57. Laxer37 says: Jul 14, 2010 2:06 PM

Keep the excuses coming Bengal fan, it’s entertaining to the rest of us.
    Repeat after me:
    Concessions prices are expensive everywhere. Parking is expensive everywhere.
    The economy sucks everywhere.
    Your ticket prices are in line with the rest of the league.
    Besides, I’m sure Kroger, the local CBS affiliate, and Steeler fans will buy up all of the unwanted tickets like normal so that you can keep your “sellout streak” alive. This will then allow you to sit at home and watch your team in the comfort of your parent’s basement without any investment on your part.

58. Fear Da Tiger says: Jul 14, 2010 2:09 PM

Dubbs, you read my mind perfectly. Check other teams lowest ticket prices. The Bengals claim to be in the middle of the pack pricing-wise, but their cheapest tickets are among the highest in the league. According to USAToday.com, the cheapest tickets in each NFL city are: Arizona ($25), Atlanta ($55), Baltimore ($55), Buffalo ($40), Carolina ($32), Cleveland ($32), Denver ($45), Detroit ($30), Houston ($30), Indy ($38), Jax ($30), KC ($30), Miami ($34), Minnesota ($15), New Orleans ($25), Oakland ($26), St. Louis ($25), SD ($54), SF ($29), Seattle ($52), TB ($25), Tennessee ($45) and Washington ($29) ALL have cheaper tickets available than the Bengals minimum ticket price at $60. That’s 23 out of 32 teams with cheaper tickets, putting the Bengals in the top 10 for most expensive upper deck seats in the NFL. Think that might have something to do with it?

59. beer_beer_beer_beer says: Jul 14, 2010 2:15 PM

ya know, if the team was doing everything it could to try to win a championship year in and year out, they wouldn’t have trouble selling out. As a lifelong Bengal fan, answer me this(long winded question):
    The only way to make a point to a greedy owner that tries to run a football team, despite the fact that he has no idea how to, is to hit him in the pocket.
    Bengal fans are tired of Mike Brown’s refusal to hire a GM, more scouts, and really anyone that’s a non-family member to help run the organization/team.
    The fans start to try and make such a point by foregoing their PSL renewals, or refusing to purchase season tickets, or just stop going at whatever rate they may have in the past.
    (see whodeyrevolution.com, a grassroots effort that encourages the efforts to make a point to Mike Brown)
    Ultimately, my question is this: We’re tired of losing, the only way we can make a point to the owner is to discontinue our financial support of the team, and then we’re blasted for not being “true fans” because we don’t go to games?????
    The blackouts, and embarrassment of watching the sellout streak come to a halt are the reason the team has made more moves and tried to become better, albeit the only way they know how. Once they stock the administrative ranks with competent, experienced NFL staff, and provide the fans with a team that can legitimately be considered a contender on a more consistent basis…. then they won’t have to worry about selling out. If you win…we’ll be there.

60. micktanner says: Jul 14, 2010 2:23 PM

@Fear Da Tiger
    Stop crying! Just stay home and put your Ocho Cinco undies & jammys on and watch the games on Mommy’s black & white 13″ Admiral tv! Ooops, that’s if the game isn’t blacked out!

61. dvdman says: Jul 14, 2010 2:31 PM

This is all a product of GREED all around. The owners and players are both are guilty of it. Ultimately the fans are the ones who get SCREWED. No game is worth $70 a ticket for cheap seats just like no player is worth $19 million a year even if their name is Manning.

62. Fear Da Tiger says: Jul 14, 2010 2:36 PM

Wow micktanner, I come up with facts and logic and you come back with “Ocho Cinco undies”. The IQ on this board really is astonishingly low…
    To put it into perspective, it’s cheaper to buy a ticket to see the Super Bowl Champ Saints or the AFC Champ Colts than it is to go see a Bengals game. Maybe it’s time to lower upper bowl ticket prices a bit instead of raising them every year. Then again, that just makes good business sense. Low demand = low prices. High demand = high prices.

63. Stone says: Jul 14, 2010 2:44 PM

What do these teams in sh!tty economies expect??? Are there even enough people in Buffalo or Cincinnati with jobs that pay enough to afford NFL tickets?? Or Jacksonville, or Cleveland, or Detroit, or any other number of cities that have been disappearing off the face of the earth since the industrial golden age ended 50 years ago???

64. CurseofBoJackson says: Jul 14, 2010 2:55 PM

Laxer, as usual, completely original and insightful post, douche. Read beer_beer_beer for a well put take on the ticket situation relative to fan’s wallets and desire to see necessary FO changes for consistent success. Claiming that Bengals fans don’t deserve a team because most of us are trying the only way we can to affect a difference in the team’s managerial pattern is asinine. I think it was Ollie who used the term “Mike Brown lovers.” Really dude? The only Mike Brown lovers are Troy and Katie Brownburn, Jim Lippincott, Bob Bedinghaus, and the rest of the AFC North. Find a Bengals fan that is a Mike Brown lover and I’ll point out a liar. Lastly, Ollie’s a frontrunner all right, very unlikely that you were raised in both cities at some point and came to love the teams that way, and that would leave CHOOSING one in the sixties or seventies, so which is it? If you claim to be an old school reds fan, then you would have to be a Steeler front runner who jumped on in the 70’s. Honestly, explain how your dichotomous loyalty has a basis in something other than fair weathered-ness, cause I aint buyin.

65. JohnnyU says: Jul 14, 2010 3:16 PM

I wouldn’t go to a pro football game if it was free and a 5 course meal was waiting for me. I watch every game from the comfort of my recliner on a 50″ high def. Cold beer in the fridge, chicken wings, pizza and a good cigar. No scraping the car, traffic, parking, walking and no drunks spilling beer down my back. I buy the full football package and no games are blacked out. Better coverage, better view, better replay, better company. Some say I miss the excitement and the atmosphere. It gets plenty exciting watching with my buds and I do not miss the shouting arrogant puking drunks fans at all – not even a little bit. Most posters here are typical fans – I definately would not enjoy eating bad food, freezing and dealing with retards. I just stay home and have fun.

66. Coyle says: Jul 14, 2010 3:26 PM

Why do you think you pay $20,000 for a beater automobile?
    Labor Unions.
    I don’t have a union to protect me in my management job, nor do I have an agent sitting next to me in an interview, yet I am at the high end of salary for my position. Why? Merit, I do my job very well.
    Dump the union and the agents and let the players be paid on merit and merit alone and the prices will drop.
    The very good players will be paid very well and the ones that suck will need to step it up a bit to get a raise.

67. GoBears84 says: Jul 14, 2010 3:31 PM

DirecTV. sunday ticket. HD. call it a day.

68. Ollie says: Jul 14, 2010 3:32 PM

Honestly, I was raised in Cincy and loved the Reds since I was a little kid. There were no Bengals at that time. I actually started liking the Steelers because of their uniforms and colors. They just grew on me and I have followed and been a loyal fan since then.

69. funi says: Jul 14, 2010 3:47 PM

People in Cincy know it a 6 win season baby!

70. CurseofBoJackson says: Jul 14, 2010 4:59 PM

Okee doke then! Explanation accepted, name calling rescinded. Carry on!

71. minhw0714 says: Jul 14, 2010 5:17 PM

@Coyle – That is a pompous argument. If you were a player with enough talent to play in the League, you’d very likely have a much different view.
    Talent in business is much easier to find and much easier to replace, that’s why salaries are lower.
    The “market” works in each business case.

72. slack37 says: Jul 14, 2010 7:47 PM

To hear pittsburgh people talk loyalty is funny. Imagine if you had a 20 year losing streak. Oh wait, the PIRATES you love them. They sell out… never. Didn’t the penguins almost leave, too? No sid the kid and super mario and you’re in winnepeg!
    I love the Bengals but hate the owner. The only thing he does right is not sell the naming rights.

73. steelerfan9598 says: Jul 14, 2010 9:49 PM

“We will see in 10 years when the Steelers have missed playoffs in all ten years”
    Never gonna happen. Although I can tell you who hasn’t WON a playoff game in ten years. Oh wait, you knew the answer to that already. Five playoff wins in the history of the franchise? You can make all the dumb ass ‘Rapistburger’ jokes you want but, you have a second rate irrelevant franchise.
    Lastly, Carson Palmer sucks. The Steelers made it to the AFC Championship game with KORDELL STEWART as their starter- twice.

74. JohnnyU says: Jul 15, 2010 12:14 AM

You have to know by now that when the subject of conversation revolves around the Raven or Steeler fans there have to be more intelligent subjects you have overlooked.

75. mybuddyandme says: Jul 16, 2010 1:16 PM

hey Ollie hope you got to go to the bengals/steelers game last year in Cincy when we shut your F’n mouths and kicked your fairy asses! hey big ben just got an RV Camper he went to Tom RAPER RV!!!

76. PatsFan54 says: Jul 16, 2010 1:56 PM

I wish I could pay $20 for parking at a Patriots game. I have been a season ticket holder since 1992 when my 3 tickets were $1200 a year and they are now $4500 a year. I also pay $40 a game for parking and I am planning on $50. this year.
    I know that if I want to keep my tickets I need to pay the price. In my opinion my seats are still reasonable considering Bob Kraft never charged us PSL’s when moving into Gillette or CMGI before that. And my seats are 4 rows from the field. As long as Kraft, Belichick and the staff put a competitive team on the field while we are in transition we will continue to sell out. The days of the Sullivan, Kiam, Orthwein owning the team are over and since we have stable ownership at the top we will always be a hot ticket to get. Just like the Red Sox, Celtics and Bruins at playoff time.

77. wrekOgnize says: Jul 16, 2010 2:04 PM

I stopped purchasing my season tickets before last season. Too expensive…Period

78. rmm9090 says: Jul 17, 2010 4:30 PM

NFL Sunday Ticket + 60″ HD LCD + DVR to watch replays + one 5th of Crown Royal Black beats the hell out of overpriced shitty seats + shitty fans sitting around you + overpriced beer/nuts.

79. steelerfan9598 says: Jul 18, 2010 8:01 AM

PatsFan54, How’s that traffic treatin’ ya? Beautiful stadium. Worst parking / traffic set up in the NFL. I went once to the old stadium and once to the new. When a 90 minute ride takes 5 hours? No thanks.

80. guitarkevin says: Jul 19, 2010 3:37 PM

What? The Bengals fans can’t sell out 8 friggin’ home games?
    But aren’t they gonna sweep the division again?
    And aren’t they gonna shut up all the haters this year?
    Come on Bengals fans…
    PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS!!!!!!