NFLPA responds to Packers' financial report

On Wednesday, the Green Bay Packers unveiled some of the more important aspects of their annual financial report.  The numbers suggest on the surface that player costs are rising at an unacceptable rate; at a deeper level, the information fairly should put the issue of unshared revenues back on the table for scrutiny, discussion, and debate.

Since the Packers are the only team legally required to open the books, the team’s numbers have been and will be carefully studied and dissected.  But, from the NFLPA’s perspective, Green Bay’s financial performance represents only one piece of a larger puzzle.

Said NFLPA president Kevin Mawae:  “It’s 1/32nd of the financial information we’ve requested in response to their demand that we give back $1 billion and increase our injury risk by playing two additional games.”

Mawae is right.  If the league won’t open the books as to all teams, it’s unfair for the league to make any broader arguments or claims based on Green Bay’s numbers, especially since the ongoing drop in the Packers’ operating profits result not from increased player costs, but from decreased revenues due to the ongoing refusal of owners to fully and completely share all revenues.

Permalink 65 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
65 Responses to “NFLPA responds to Packers' financial report”
  1. brownsfn says: Jul 14, 2010 5:35 PM

Ofcourse it’s not because of the over-paid players *eyesroll*…

2. benh999 says: Jul 14, 2010 5:38 PM

They have said they are willing to share their financial statements with the PA, but the PA is unwilling to enter into an NDA. To call that “ongoing refusal” is very specious.

3. pervy harvin says: Jul 14, 2010 5:41 PM

Ah..I just met with Bus Cook and have some very important news for the world…I was sitting in the strip club and was talking to my lil princess Tyesha.She looked at me with tears in her makeup caked eyes and said,”Daddy,I really want you to shit on Packer fans one more season on PFT.We support you daddy.”
    I have been down at the local grade school hurling insults to the kids.Not sure what I have left but I’m feeling pretty good. All the pieces are in place.I know it’s not a one fan team to win or lose. I really believe this fan base has a lot of potential – whether it’s this year or in years to come, I don’t know.I’m pretty boring, actually. I’m gonna just give it a go…. I really want to beat the Packeer fans bad…When fish are in schools, they sometimes take debate.
    …….I would like to announce my unretirement.

4. Ambrose says: Jul 14, 2010 5:44 PM

Lion fan: Two additional games does not bode well for the players hoping to extend their careers.
    Bears fan: I don’t know where this will end, but I’m glad the Bears are in a large market that can weather the changes that are coming.
    Packer fan: I guess we can feel fortunate that we have such a strong fanbase, hopefully strong enough to remain as solvent as in past years.
    Viking fan: THE PACKER FANS ARE FATTER THAN FAT, THE WOMAN ARE TOOTHLESS AND IGNORANT, ALL THE PLAYERS ARE GAY AND THE STADIUM ISN’T AS NICE AS OURS WILL BE, SOMEDAY. AND IF YOU DON’T LIKE THESE COMMENTS YOU CAN SUCK MY _ICK AND STICK IT IN MY _SS, AND I’LL INVITE ALL MY FRIENDS TO WATCH, BECAUSE THAT’S WHAT WE DO AND THAT’S WHAT WE LIKE.

5. Hap says: Jul 14, 2010 5:44 PM

He said, she said.
    Come together , right now…..

6. scott19699 says: Jul 14, 2010 5:47 PM

If not all teams are gonna share then let the strong make it and the rest fall by the way side. See you Mn, Det, Jacksonville, Buffalo and so on. The Packers will make it.

7. Hap says: Jul 14, 2010 5:49 PM

They only made 9.8mil on 258 million in revenues ? That’s not a large %. Just saying.
    Buy a jersey and help, wont ya?

8. scott19699 says: Jul 14, 2010 5:49 PM

9. mnplsjunk says: Jul 14, 2010 5:50 PM

From Green Bay to Oakland and back across the continental US to New York, salaries in all major sports have grown to unsustainable and obnoxious levels.
    But, as long as the owners are going to outprice the common fan from attending these sporting events, I could care less who brings home the bacon…the players or the owners.
    So, keep bickering back and forth and feeling like neither side is making enough dinero to support themselves while the rest of the country languishes in a recession.
    I do not feel sorry for any of you.

10. 420fan says: Jul 14, 2010 5:56 PM

@ mnplsjunk…..exactly!

11. mrcmos says: Jul 14, 2010 5:56 PM

Pervy:
    I thought you were gone! Just my Instinct!
    Moron, Putz, Nitwit, “Insert any appropiate adjective”
    Pervy…you know what an adjective is, don’t you?

12. Fat_Old_Sun says: Jul 14, 2010 6:04 PM

Injury risk of playing 2 additional games?
    So Mawae, you are saying that we shouldnt be paying full price for the 4 preseason games you attend?
    So you should sacrifice 4 of 20 games pay for or 20% of your pay.
    I dont see players of teams that make the playoffs complaining they have to play more games. Increasing injury risk.
    makes me sick

13. bluestree says: Jul 14, 2010 6:09 PM

benh999 says:
    July 14, 2010 5:38 PM
    ——————————————-
    I haven’t heard this before, all I’ve read says the owners won’t open there books, period. Not even to each other. What is the nature of this non disclosure requirement?
    Please post a link to where you got this information, it would be very informative.

14. DeathByPurple says: Jul 14, 2010 6:17 PM

Ambrose…Only really mad Cleveland owners talk in CAPS and get upset, not Vikings fans.
    The Vikes didn’t lose LeBron, we just smoked the Packers twice with their own former QB.

15. Dirte says: Jul 14, 2010 6:18 PM

Do employees from all organizations get to see the books?

16. Johnnyb612 says: Jul 14, 2010 6:20 PM

Ambrose says:
    July 14, 2010 5:44 PM
    ———————————————
    A very funny, but sadly true observation.

17. Bob Nelson says: Jul 14, 2010 6:24 PM

“The ongoing drop in the Packers’ operating profits result not from increased player costs, but from decreased revenues due to the ongoing refusal of owners to fully and completely share all revenues.”
    You are quite wrong here Forio. The Packers have been contributing to NFL welfare of the supplemental revenue sharing programs.
    As one of the teams in better financial shape it would not help them if all teams contributed equally.
    Why should teams that do not even try to generate much NFL revenue like the Bengals, Raiders, and cash poor vikings get a free ride through the efforts of the Redskins, Cowboys, Packers, and Chiefs?
    Why should owners like Mike Brown get money from the sweat of another franchise?
    Local revenue is the only difference financially among the franchises.
    Lambeau Field’s Pro Shop has been #1 in sales for many years. Why should Packer fans buying Aaron Rodgers jerseys have that money go to Al Davis?
    Owners of franchises other than Green Bay have to have incentives for earning some revenue themselves and not just sit around and get handouts from successful teams like Green Bay.
    The Green Bay Packers have no problem with local revenue.
    Mike Florio you are just completely wrong in your statement!!

18. mustbechris says: Jul 14, 2010 6:25 PM

dcninerfan and chapnasty blame obama and the liberals for this

19. Dan says: Jul 14, 2010 6:27 PM

As a lawyer, you know why the NFL can’t open their books. Can you say I.R.S among other things.
    There has to be some common ground of give and take without saying we want the books open.
    Come on.

20. Mike Daly says: Jul 14, 2010 6:29 PM

Give back $1 billion and risk additional injury? That’s exaggeration there, Kevin. You’re not going to be asked to give anything that significant back, and realistically the NFLPA will benefit in the long term.

21. twizzlystick says: Jul 14, 2010 6:32 PM

pervy, I’m glad you unretired. I bet Rodgers and Thompson crapped their pants when they heard the news. I hope you came back for love of the blog though and not just for payback, no actually either way is cool.

22. cbatchel says: Jul 14, 2010 6:32 PM

Hey Green Bay how about you build a new staduim or atleast add some seats on to Lambeau. You want more revenue? You have 81,000 people at last count on your ticket waiting list wanting to shell out $$ to got to games.
    Not the players salarys holding you back from more revenue it’s your stadium.
    Just look at the really profitable frachises, the Yankees had a great old ballpark but built a new one to acoomodate more fans and get more revenue. Dallas Cowbows upgrade to a 90,000 seat stadium.
    I love tradition in sports but the really profitable franchises understand sports is a entertainment business and you have to grow with the times.

23. jagsfan says: Jul 14, 2010 6:33 PM

Come on Florio, we both know your use of the word unfair was just a bow to the unions. We are talking labor law as to which info is shared and fairness has nothing to do with it. Fairness doesn’t sit at the bargaining table.

24. robert ethen says: Jul 14, 2010 6:36 PM

Wisconsin shareholders are depressed. All those pork belly’s shares are down.
    But then, locally, the pork bellys were grossly inflated to begin with.

25. robert ethen says: Jul 14, 2010 6:40 PM

We had an inkling that Packer shareholders were in for bad news when a recent WSJ article carried the title of “Wisconsin Pork Belly Shares Down This Quarter”.

26. twizzlystick says: Jul 14, 2010 6:42 PM

Ambrose says:
    July 14, 2010 5:44 PM
    THE PACKER FANS ARE FATTER THAN FAT, THE WOMAN ARE TOOTHLESS AND IGNORANT, ALL THE PLAYERS ARE GAY.
    ****************************************
    It’s not true that all the players are gay.

27. JimmySmith says: Jul 14, 2010 6:42 PM

That is precisely the point, Green Bay is the smallest population market of the NFL and it makes no sense to project anything from their release.
    It does however, give the mentally challenged among you, (code for Viking fans) to spout nonsense unrelated to the main point of the story.
    Makes you wonder if the intelligence level of a franchise fan base is directly related to the number of championships a team wins. My proof is the Vikings have zero Lombardi trophies and the lowest IQ fan base, its not quite proof beyond a reasonable doubt but makes sense to me.

28. aec4 says: Jul 14, 2010 6:43 PM

Revenue was at record levels… but it was outgrown by expense… not good for any business. I don’t care what the NFLPA wants… if this is true, then they need to give back.

29. Adam-Chris Schefterson says: Jul 14, 2010 6:45 PM

30. RealityTrip says: Jul 14, 2010 6:47 PM

Move the Packer franchise to LA!

31. twizzlystick says: Jul 14, 2010 6:48 PM

I’m sure there must be some solution to save the Packers from bankruptcy and league contraction. The Vikes aren’t gonna give you Favre back but maybe they’ll agree to give you a share of his jersey sales.

32. Adam-Chris Schefterson says: Jul 14, 2010 6:50 PM

robert ethen says:
    July 14, 2010 6:36 PM
    Wisconsin shareholders are depressed. All those pork belly’s shares are down.
    ———————–
    Yes, because earnings and dividends are why you buy Packer stock.

33. Adam-Chris Schefterson says: Jul 14, 2010 6:51 PM

twizzlystick says:
    July 14, 2010 6:42 PM
    It’s not true that all the players are gay.
    ———————–
    Don’t worry. You’ll convert them. Your super gayness will overcome the straight ones.

34. pervy harvin says: Jul 14, 2010 6:54 PM

twizzlystick- I am not coming back for revenge against Packer fans. It is truely for the love of the blog. The Viking fans are a very talented team with you and RC among many others. My fingers have healed well and I think I can type another season.I just got sponsored by Epson and Acer….wish Wranglers would call though….

35. pervy harvin says: Jul 14, 2010 7:02 PM

Does Jolly Rodgers make Scott Wells get a rose petal colonic before all games??? Just wondering…

36. twizzlystick says: Jul 14, 2010 7:25 PM

Florio, you better open the PFT books to MD Smith, Evan Silva and the guy that’s fishing right now, I hope you’ve got them on a good medical plan too. Or be prepared to lock them out next year.

37. bcb171 says: Jul 14, 2010 7:27 PM

This site lost all credibility for me (in regards to anything financial) when they made a comparison between a few nba players salaries on teams that carry far far less expenditures and an nfl organization that carries an extremely bloated list of expenditures(players at the top of that list). I will never ever put any thought behind these kinds of posts.

38. Sparrowhawk says: Jul 14, 2010 7:31 PM

I believe that the more the NFLPA spouts it’s nonsense, the more the average fan sides with the owners.
    Florio is just flaming for a higher post count. Readers don’t take your “observations” seriously anymore after seeing some of the loony things you have proposed.

39. twizzlystick says: Jul 14, 2010 7:32 PM

Jesus Schefterson now when I defend the Packers I get attacked for that too???

40. bruce campbells chainsaw hand says: Jul 14, 2010 7:34 PM

DeathByPurple -
    Congrats on your two wins over the Packers. Better than winning a Super Bowl, right? Aim high, Viking fans.
    robert ethen -
    How long did it take to come up with your first pork belly post? What about the second one? I hope your brain doesn’t hurt.

41. Mark0226 says: Jul 14, 2010 7:40 PM

Two extra games? The Saints, Colts, and Jets each had to play THREE extra games.

42. sharkattack says: Jul 14, 2010 7:45 PM

I hope they do whatever they need to do to keep football around in 2011. I couldn’t live without football. I’m completely fine if they extend the schedule to a 40 game regular season. As much as these idiots make, they should be “working” year round. Worried about injury? Go get an office job.
    Stop spitting on our blue collars.

43. edgy says: Jul 14, 2010 7:45 PM

Bob Nelson says: July 14, 2010 6:24 PM
    **********************
    You continue to have no grasp of the situation. First of all, until the Packers renovated their stadium, they were on the other half of the revenue stream. Second, what he’s talking about is the fact that before Jerry Jones started getting his way, ALL the revenue was shared (Which is why the Packers are able to be in the top half. If you had to fend for TV revenue then you’d be at the bottom of the league) but now, luxury box revenue, premium seating revenue, local advertising and TV, naming rights and in the case of guys like Jerry Jones, concessions.

44. dolphan1958 says: Jul 14, 2010 7:51 PM

If ownership doesn’t back off, it will make them look
    snobbish and miserly or worse.

45. mattgso says: Jul 14, 2010 8:05 PM

# mrcmos says: July 14, 2010 5:56 PM
    Pervy:
    I thought you were gone! Just my Instinct!
    Moron, Putz, Nitwit, “Insert any appropiate adjective”
    Pervy…you know what an adjective is, don’t you?
    ———————————————–
    Classic!

46. Little Tommy says: Jul 14, 2010 8:10 PM

******************************************
    I guess this isn’t a moderated site. Too bad…we could do without crap like this.

47. scott19699 says: Jul 14, 2010 8:47 PM

19. Vikings
    Consecutive sellouts: 104 | Season-ticket waiting list: None
    The Metrodome has spoiled a generation of Minnesota football fans who don’t realize how good they have it. Try sitting outside for three hours in -10 wind chill when you’re not used to it. There is also an undeniable fair-weather factor among Vikings fans, and the team needed corporate help to sell out its games last season for the first time in a decade.
    – Kevin Seifert
    I love the “undeniable fair weather factor among viking fans”
    No waiting list for season ticket, dump of a stadium with little to no parking. Did I mention no waiting list for season or single game tickets. Per ESPN and the Vikings web site.
    Now on to the Packers.
    2. Packers
    Consecutive sellouts: 269 | Season-ticket waiting list: 78,000
    Want to talk about support? The Packers have been sold out since 1960. Win or lose, fans fill Lambeau Field. The Packers are a huge part of the community fabric, perhaps more so than any other NFL town. Passion is second to none.
    If GB is only making 5.8 or what ever it is I’d be curious as to the Vikings. I felt bad when the Browns left Cleveland but won’t feel bad when the Vikings leave MN. See ya in SOCAL

48. edgy says: Jul 14, 2010 9:03 PM

BTW, while Packers fans consider themselves the real America’s team, the Milwaukee Brewers have been 29 of 30 or 30 of 30 each year in LOCAL TV revenue year in and year out. Granted, support for the Packers is better and they have a nice national base BUT they don’t have the kind of following that would overcome the BIG markets and the revenue that they’re giving up so that GB can have $250 million in revenue.
    The NFL’s TV contract means that EACH team suckles from a $3.7 billion TV teat or $118 per team. Can anyone honestly believe that Green Bay will pay $118 million for the TV rights (or even the entire state). More than 55% of Green Bay’s revenue comes from NATIONAL sources. What’s hurting all teams and what will eventually hurt even the Packers are the OWNERS like Jerry Jones, who want to cut the chord and let each team earn what they earn but he doesn’t realize how much more that the New York teams would earn more than him and they could spend him back to the Stone Age if they had $400+ million at their beck and call from their local TV contracts.
    You guys need to turn your anger on Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder and not the players. The players are the reason for the $3.7 bil TV teat because without them, the NFL would be the UFL and we know that they don’t make that kind of money (Face it, the financial “genius”, Jerry Jones couldn’t even come close to dominating in revenue in the AFL and any moron with a check book could have done better. Wait, most of the owners in the AFL did better). TV money pays for MOST of their salaries (and all of it for players who play for Tampa and St. Louis). The Dallas Cowboys put in more than $200 million into their coffers from luxury box and ticket revenue and their average ticket price nearly doubled BUT their players costs DID NOT. Just who is kidding whom here? Now, most people don’t realize but Jerry pays only $2.5 mil in rent and even that is greatly offset by the fact that he pays NO tax to the city and that he runs the concessions in the stadium and has run several very lucrative events at the stadium and has shared NONE of this revenue with the players or the owners, even though the owners gave him $150 mil and the players gave up revenue to go to the fund that paid his $150 mil. He’s “paying” that back with the 40% of revenue that would normally go the visiting team.

49. ICEWALKER says: Jul 14, 2010 9:18 PM

Little Tommy says:
    July 14, 2010 8:10 PM
    *******************************************
    Totally agree. Oh, and don’t brings facts here, either. Just opinions.

50. SoFlor Steeler says: Jul 14, 2010 9:30 PM

Not sure why it popped into my feeble brain – but I read this crap and thought of the “Golden Rule”
    “He who has the gold – rules!”
    The agents and players can whine and screw around all the want – but the owners will be the ones deciding if the deal is a good one – and worth signing – or a bad one like the one they got rammed down their throat by the players and a few rich owners – Snyder and Jones.
    What the Green Bay books show is shutting down the league for a year or two will not be a big deal for teams other than Dallas and DC and the Giants and a few others – and they do not have enough votes to push through a bad deal this time around…
    So folks – get ready for some great CFL and UFL football it will be all we have for a year or two – and I frankly think it is a good idea – get things back in line and then we move on.

51. Ambrose says: Jul 14, 2010 9:33 PM

Little Tommy says: July 14, 2010 8:10 PM
    —————————————————————-
    Tommy….believe me when I say I agree with you, but unfortunately my description is very close to reality when I described how (some) Vikings fans post on this site. I wasn’t creating this crap, just reflecting reality.

52. rraider says: Jul 14, 2010 9:41 PM

@Bob Nelson:
    You are completely wrong to use the Raiders in any example. The raiders jersey revenue (which is shared) has always been top 5!
    Basically the TV and league revenues cover a teams operating expense. How much you (the owners) make depends on their individual deals with the stadium over concessions, boxes, parking, rent,… Any team that owns its own stadium is rolling in the cash.
    You can thank Jerry Jones for the unshared revenus piece that the Packer cant get!
    Pretty much if you screw the fans on a beer, parking, or a box and you screw the city\county on rent and the split you will make a killing. Selling out your stadium from a ticket perspective does little for you bottom line.

53. twizzlystick says: Jul 14, 2010 10:10 PM

scott19699 says: July 14, 2010 8:47 PM
    See ya in SOCAL
    ********************
    Scott you’re rushing to conclusions. Just because Packers player costs are outpacing revenue 2-1 doesn’t mean they’ll be moving to LA this season and it’s not even a lock for next season. Cheer up.

54. twizzlystick says: Jul 14, 2010 10:13 PM

Ambrose says:
    July 14, 2010 5:44 PM
    Ambrose says: July 14, 2010 9:33 PM
    Tommy…. YOU CAN SUCK MY _ICK AND STICK IT IN MY _SS, AND I’LL INVITE ALL MY FRIENDS TO WATCH, BECAUSE THAT’S WHAT WE DO AND THAT’S WHAT WE LIKE.
    *********************************
    Ambrose, clean it up a little.

55. schooney says: Jul 14, 2010 10:26 PM

Shame on the screener for letting Ambrose’s four letter word replay get posted, but what can you expect from illerate people in Viking land

56. scott19699 says: Jul 14, 2010 10:46 PM

twizzlystick says:
    July 14, 2010 10:10 PM
    See ya in SOCAL
    ***************** ***
    **************************
    It’s not the Packer who will be moving..

57. twizzlystick says: Jul 14, 2010 11:01 PM

scott19699 says: July 14, 2010 10:46 PM
    It’s not the Packer who will be moving..
    ***********************************
    That’s the spirit Scott, don’t give up hope until you see the moving vans.

58. GirthyOne says: Jul 14, 2010 11:41 PM

OMG, quit the Socialist banter, will you!

59. Bob Nelson says: Jul 15, 2010 12:15 AM

Some of you really do not know the NFL very well.
    All television revenue is shared. Visiting teams share in ticket revenue.
    Local revenue for concessions, parking, and local jersey sales are not.
    Why should Jerry Jones share his parking revenue with the vikings who have no parking lot?
    Why should the Chiefs with 77,000 in their stadium share soft drink sales with the Jaguars vikings who only have 55,000 in their stadium?
    Why should the Redskins who have sold the naming rights to their stadium share that with the Bengals who haven’t sold their naming rights.
    The Packers do fine with local revenue. Television is sold nationally and collectively.
    The Packers have the highest percentage of viewers in the local market anywhere even if total viewers are not as many as larger markets.
    Just because the Packers release their data doesn’t mean that that any of it is bad.

60. Klytus says: Jul 15, 2010 12:16 AM

Percentage of profits, yes. More games, NO.
    GO STEELERS!

61. prophet of the light says: Jul 15, 2010 12:21 AM

@mnplsjunk
    Ticket prices are not based on wishes. They are based on competition for the tickets. Some “common fans” are willing to pay more than other “common fans.”

62. edgy says: Jul 15, 2010 1:01 AM

# twizzlystick says:
    That’s the spirit Scott, don’t give up hope until you see the moving vans.
    ***********************************
    There are 4.7 million shares of Packer stock and NO ONE can own more than 200,000 to keep anyone from being majority owner and moving the club. The Packers will fold and go into bankruptcy before they move and if that’s the case then the entire NFL is in trouble (unless Jerry gets his way and the Pack fold because they can’t keep up with the rest of the league in all the unshared revenue).

63. BP says: Jul 15, 2010 1:11 AM

Well the players, if they don’t like making millions, could forget this football nonsense and get a real job. Oops, there aren’t any of those. Never mind.

64. Dial-A-Cliche says: Jul 15, 2010 5:50 AM

Pervy Harvin, so glad to hear you’re coming back for one more season! Hows the ankle? I knew you were a gamer! Have you heard, Bob Nelson is throwing a bash to celebrate the Packer’s financial windfall. According to Bob, the Packers generate so much cash through the sales of the most popular jerseys in all the World (don’t breathe a word of this to Jerry Jones) they’ll be able to support the entire NFL (minus the Redskins, Cowboys and Chiefs) and keep sending money to Darfur. Bob also wants to announce the Packer’s are once again the #1 television market for the 60th consecutive year (boy were New York and Chicago pissed-off to hear that). Boy, you gotta admire Bob’s fanatical devotion to his football team – but man is he mean spirited. He and his fellow Packer fans keep threatening to stop funding The Minnesota Vikings and banish them to Los Angeles. Man, I had no idea the Packer’s held that kind of sway. But I guess since they’re the revenue sharing “Sugar Daddy” of the NFL, they can threaten any team they chose.

65. Adam-Chris Schefterson says: Jul 16, 2010 10:42 AM

twizzlystick says:
    July 14, 2010 7:32 PM
    Jesus Schefterson now when I defend the Packers I get attacked for that too???
    ———————
    I didn’t attack you. I merely stated facts. As usual.