Giants make injured Hixon available to waivers

The New York Giants announced Wednesday that they have waived injured receiver/returner Domenik Hixon, and replaced him on the 80-man roster with career special teamer Adam Jennings.

The Giants’ decision to waive/injured Hixon, as opposed to wait and place him on injured reserve, makes his situation slightly interesting.  The rest of the league now has the opportunity to claim his rights.  Though Hixon is out for the season with a torn right ACL, he is a game-altering return man and effective sub-package receiver when healthy.  He ranked second in the league in punt return average last season.
Claiming off waivers a player who’s been waived/injured is widely seen as a no-no in league circles, but the Jaguars executed the rare “snatch-and-stash move” with cornerback Don Carey last offseason.  The Browns waived Carey after he suffered a season-ending shoulder injury in August.  Jacksonville claimed Carey, stashed him on injured reserve for all of 2009, and inserted him with the first-team defense this spring.
The catch for Hixon is that he isn’t signed through the 2011 season.  Therefore, any team interested in the 25-year-old would most likely want to re-sign him before the start of free agency next offseason while monitoring Hixon’s rehab from reconstructive knee surgery.  They’d also have to pay him $1.684 million to sit on injured reserve.
Most likely, he’ll wind up on New York’s I.R., or be released with an injury settlement.
Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
22 Responses to “Giants make injured Hixon available to waivers”
  1. bspurloc says: Jul 15, 2010 4:41 PM

amazing….. giants have no receivers and now they have no receivers -1
    no rb’s no receivers…. wtf they gunna do this year?

2. Free_Tramopoline says: Jul 15, 2010 4:49 PM

booo

3. Adam says: Jul 15, 2010 5:08 PM

Well, this isn’t very classy.

4. football genius says: Jul 15, 2010 5:12 PM

can’t stay healthy

5. TheOne says: Jul 15, 2010 5:12 PM

@bspurloc – how does NYG not have any WR’s? They have Smith, Manningham, Nicks. Those are 3 pretty good WR’s to me. All 3 can play the slot, mid range and go deep. So I am unsure why you think NYG has not WR’s. Did you watch football last season? All 3 of those WR’s where killing it. Believe me I know, I’m a Cowboys fan.

6. BigDiceBuddha says: Jul 15, 2010 5:21 PM

bspurloc says:
    July 15, 2010 4:41 PM
    amazing….. giants have no receivers and now they have no receivers -1
    Steve Smith: 1o7 catches, 1220 yards, 7 TD’s
    Mario Manningham: 57 catches, 822 yards, 5 TD’s
    Hakeem Nicks: 47 catches, 790 yards, 6 TD’s

7. Denverite24 says: Jul 15, 2010 5:25 PM

I am new to this site and may not notice sarcasm when I see it, but I hope you are being sarcastic when you say the do not have any wr’s. What about Smith, Nicks and Manningham? That sounds like a pretty good receiving core to me.

8. kvh59 says: Jul 15, 2010 5:36 PM

bspurloc,
    Hixon was the 4th or 5th option at receiver last year. So his loss does not really effect our Wr corps. As far as not having any receivers…you must have been sleeping when Steve Smith was putting up pro bowl #’s, plus Hakeem Nicks will be a stud this year. I can only imagine from your remarks that your a Cowgirls fan, and to that I say…I cannot wait to see Nicks burn Hamlin/Jenkins multiple times this year!

9. Brian Sipe says: Jul 15, 2010 5:44 PM

Bye bye Jacksonville. Jaguars welcome to L.A.

10. bigblueisbac says: Jul 15, 2010 6:03 PM

giants no wrs?…no rbs?…thats so dumb it’s not even worth responding

11. tbodnard says: Jul 15, 2010 6:04 PM

Helllllllo terrell owens, welcome to NY

12. dzehn says: Jul 15, 2010 6:14 PM

Nicks burn Hamlin? Hamlin plays for the Ravens so unless you expect Smith to be traded to the AFC North that won’t happen. Typical ignorant Giants fan….

13. Bob S. says: Jul 15, 2010 6:30 PM

@bspurloc
    amazing….. giants have no receivers

smith set a giants record for catches. nicks is a future super star. mannigham in his 2nd year as a fullltime receiver will be great plus there is the greatest giants receiver of alltime still on the roster – senorice moss.

14. TheToolofTools says: Jul 15, 2010 7:36 PM

Hixon had so much potential.
    T.O. would flourish in New York as fans would personally run him out of town if he played dive.
    [LeBron James is still a strap on].

15. bigblueisbac says: Jul 15, 2010 7:44 PM

yeah and cowboy fans are brilliant

16. bigblueisbac says: Jul 15, 2010 7:45 PM

yeah and cowboy fans are brilliant

17. JunkYardDogg1156 says: Jul 15, 2010 10:03 PM

Offensive player of the year for the Giants: WR Ramses Barden – call me crazy, & I know you all will = ) – but remember you heard it here first…

18. Zaggs says: Jul 15, 2010 10:38 PM

Adam_Free Tram, by NFL rules the Giants had to waive him first before they put him on IR because of his years in. That or they had to tie down a roster spot for Hixon even though everyone knows he’s not playing.

19. buddha says: Jul 16, 2010 12:10 AM

I think Smith and Nicks are pretty good WR’s, but honestly, I dont really see Manningham as a threat. Im not saying he’s garbage, but I just dont see him as a gamebreaker like the other two. And I was gonna comment on the Hamlin thing too, but I see some of you guys already beat me to the punch. And to JUNKYARDDOGG, I think I will call you crazy. I think Nicks is ready for a breakout year and I think Bradshaw should become a bigger part of the offense for the giants. Coming from an Eagles fan, I hope they all play like shit, but I can spot talent when I see it. And I think losing Spags as your D-coordinator hurt the giants a lot more than people expected.

20. wlubake says: Jul 16, 2010 12:33 AM

Nicks can still burn Hamlin. MICHAEL Hamlin (2nd year guy out of Clemson) is likely a starting safety for the Cowboys next to Sensabaugh, now that KEN Hamlin was traded to Baltimore.
    Pretty sure Giants fan didn’t know it. Also, Cowboys fan didn’t know it. Score is 0-0.

21. jj jones says: Jul 16, 2010 8:14 AM

Browns did the wrong thing in waiving Carey.

22. cantgetenough says: Jul 16, 2010 12:18 PM

I expected the D to fall off when Spags left. I just didn’t expect it to fall off the face of the earth! Also, I would LOVE to see Barden get some more time and see what he can do, but I’m plenty confident that the current WRs can get it done. Eli had 4000 yds last year.
    bspurloc=troll