Titans, Chris Johnson work out a new deal

NFL_johnson7_250.jpgA league source tells us that the Tennessee Titans and running back Chris Johnson have agreed to terms on a new contract that solves the financial problems between team and player.

At least for 2010.

As expected, the arrangement will pay Johnson more money this year, with no additional years being added to the contract.  Johnson currently is signed through 2012.

The new deal has not yet been signed, so we suppose it could fall through.  But at this point it’s unlikely.

Specifics aren’t yet known.  It had been reported that the Titans would likely accelerate some escalators money Johnson unlocked for future years as a way to bump up his $550,000 base salary for 2010.

Johnson, the 2009 AP offensive player of the year, had said that he can’t play for only $550,000.  Now, he won’t have to.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
43 Responses to “Titans, Chris Johnson work out a new deal”
  1. AlanSaysYo says: Jul 19, 2010 4:11 PM

Anxiously awaiting the “Last Word on the Chris Johnson Deal” post and then the subsequent “Real Last Word on the Chris Johnson Deal” post.

2. Pistol says: Jul 19, 2010 4:13 PM

I guess that godamned Ed Werder can’t tell his mommy that he was first on this one…..

3. garrettmustgo says: Jul 19, 2010 4:15 PM

This guy will rush for 1500+ yrds on 1 condition…the titans dont make the playoffs.
    these guys show there a contender he will be lucky to get 1200..
    I hate player holdouts but this guy wont get paid top dollar if he plays another year

4. OJ SIMPSON says: Jul 19, 2010 4:15 PM

Get that money, CJ.
    Now here come all of the English majors about to crush Chris for his phonetics.

5. Levito says: Jul 19, 2010 4:18 PM

“Johnson, the 2009 AP offensive player of the year, had said that he can’t play for only $550,000.”
    I wish I could make a statement like that at my job and not get fired.

6. garrettmustgo says: Jul 19, 2010 4:19 PM

2010_DHB_70rec_900yds_10tds says:
    July 19, 2010 4:16 PM
    yo yo yo iz time fo mo gold teef and sum spinnerz for my whip yo
    ————————————————-
    Exactly

7. Pistol says: Jul 19, 2010 4:21 PM

Levito says:
    July 19, 2010 4:18 PM
    I wish I could make a statement like that at my job and not get fired.
    ————————-
    The AP gives out an offensive player of the year award at your work?

8. jj jones says: Jul 19, 2010 4:23 PM

“Levito says:
    July 19, 2010 4:18 PM
    I wish I could make a statement like that at my job and not get fired.”
    When thousands of people shell out $75 to buy your jersey, you can consider it.

9. Hap says: Jul 19, 2010 4:24 PM

He deserved a raise. Period.

10. jersey73 says: Jul 19, 2010 4:26 PM

Titans management cave…wusses. Sets a bad precedent for every other disgruntled NFL player. Might as well forget about contracts at all.

11. MotorCityKitties says: Jul 19, 2010 4:26 PM

Fo real dough, I’m gittin paid in the escalade in 2010. Deez diamond bezzeled gold teef aint gonna pay fo dem’selves.

12. efangule says: Jul 19, 2010 4:27 PM

AlanSaysYo says:

Don’t forget the PFTV post on it as well as “A hard look at the Chris Johnson Deal”.

13. dabarber says: Jul 19, 2010 4:28 PM

Were you employee of the year?
    ___________________________________
    Levito says:
    July 19, 2010 4:18 PM
    I wish I could make a statement like that at my job and not get fired.

14. tommy_the_k says: Jul 19, 2010 4:29 PM

I can’t work for the same salary as my summer intern

15. OJ SIMPSON says: Jul 19, 2010 4:34 PM

A Boomhauer and Chris JohnSOn reality show would be a hit

16. John El Way says: Jul 19, 2010 4:37 PM

Imagine the amount he would say if the Titans asked him to speak english properly.
    “I aints gonna not speak no proper english for no cajillion bazillion dollars dawg”

17. minhw0714 says: Jul 19, 2010 4:41 PM

CJ2K did pretty well here since he has no leverage and is working off a rookie 2nd round contract. It is the fair thing to do, but most teams don’t do the “fair thing” when it comes to guys with rookie deals.

18. SterilizeTHenry says: Jul 19, 2010 4:41 PM

Levito says:
    July 19, 2010 4:18 PM
    I wish I could make a statement like that at my job and not get fired.
    ————–
    Ya, but he is an NFL football player and you are probably a garbage man.

19. KILLER FIN says: Jul 19, 2010 4:44 PM

now watch!!! he got his money & won’t get 1,000 yards!!! Typical pay me & watch me NOT perform!!!

20. myeaglescantwin says: Jul 19, 2010 4:44 PM

Levito , u prolly suck at your job.
    Chris Johnson does not. / he could prolly walk up to any broad and be like ” i’m rich and fast, lets bang.” now i wish i could say that without getting fired.

21. CleanSlaton says: Jul 19, 2010 4:48 PM

He can’t play for $550k a year; Dem gold teefs is expensives….wise investment, CJ.

22. JaggedMark says: Jul 19, 2010 4:50 PM

To AlanSaysYo, your post of the following has to be the post of the year:

23. Lumpymilk4u says: Jul 19, 2010 4:54 PM

I hope some English classes were included in his new deal…

24. jugheadwill says: Jul 19, 2010 4:55 PM

He deserves more money considering the interest he generates for the Titans in addition to rushing for well over 3,000 yards his first 2 seasons.

25. 49ersMD says: Jul 19, 2010 5:26 PM

you people are never satisfied…the ignorance…

26. LAEaglefan says: Jul 19, 2010 5:30 PM

I can’t wait for the “What about me?” from DeSean Jackson

27. Wipackman says: Jul 19, 2010 5:35 PM

Nice Good for both parties …..love watching this kid play

28. RobF2010 says: Jul 19, 2010 5:37 PM

Levito says: “I wish I could make a statement like that at my job and not get fired.”
    CJ would have at least 30 offers better than the one he had if the Titans fired him.

29. zoinks says: Jul 19, 2010 5:58 PM

I wish I could make a statement like that at my job and not get fired.

If you were among the most talented and respected names in a multi-billion dollar industry, then you could very easily make such a statement, and expect others to respect your position.
    But the unfortunate reality is, you’re just as replaceable as the rest of us…..which is why Chris Johnson gets to say pretty much whatever he wants, while the rest of us sit here muttering to ourselves under our collective breath.

30. This is not news says: Jul 19, 2010 6:06 PM

Fantasy Owners & Titans Fans Breathe A Sigh Of Relief.

31. Roscoe P. Coaltrain says: Jul 19, 2010 6:07 PM

Ahhhhh the non government private sector where if you do a good job you get more money and get paid what you are worth!!! And being black is no matter! I hope Obama And reverend Jackson and spike lee are taking notes is paying attention!!!!

32. Raiders757 says: Jul 19, 2010 6:09 PM

In comparison to the pay some of his peers get for achieving at the same level he does on the field, he deserved to get a boost in pay. He’s one of the best backs in the league right now.

33. HarrisonHits says: Jul 19, 2010 6:14 PM

Very disappointed the Titans caved on this. It will haunt them in the long run as any even vaguely successful young player they have will expect a new contract only 2 years into their rookie contract now.
    Horrible decision.

34. john_858 says: Jul 19, 2010 6:17 PM

Hap says:
    July 19, 2010 4:24 PM
    He deserved a raise. Period.
    __________________________
    Amen Hap!

35. BDiddy says: Jul 19, 2010 7:13 PM

Congratulations, CJ.

36. mrnorfleet says: Jul 19, 2010 7:17 PM

how can you be mad he got a raise…..550,000 for 2006 yards….this is the nfl not union 10986….thats donuts for his production….is you mad cause you hatin or is you hatin cause you mad..?

37. ladybucs&steelersnut says: Jul 19, 2010 7:19 PM

The guy truly deserved a raise. Without him, VY has no chance of playing as well as he did those 7 or 8 (?) games last season. Dude’s a beast, a truly special talent.

38. Serr8d says: Jul 19, 2010 7:30 PM

Fantastic news. Now, training camp will be about training for NFL football, not entertaining the damned media.

39. steely devil hab says: Jul 19, 2010 8:19 PM

# OJ SIMPSON says: July 19, 2010 4:15 PM
    Get that money, CJ.
    Now here come all of the English majors about to crush Chris for his phonetics.
    ————————————
    Maybe – he would be able to pronounce words if he didn’t cover his teeth with metal…but I digress.

40. NFLMMAfan says: Jul 19, 2010 11:19 PM

No big thing….
    Fat Albert Haynesworth doesn’t bother to show up for work but was paid 64 times as much as CJ.

41. favre uses allens mullet as handlebars says: Jul 19, 2010 11:59 PM

jersey73 says:
    July 19, 2010 4:26 PM
    ——————————————-
    2008 CAR 251 YDS 1,228 AVG 4.9 TDS 9
    2009 CAR 358 YDS 2,006 AVG 5.6 TDS 14
    ———————————————–
    Total CAR 609 YDS 3,234 AVG 5.3 TDS 23
    And im sure management is just crushed they had to “cave” in. Wusses? LMAO! Theres a big difference between OVER performing and UNDER performing. Look up Jamarcus Russell.
    jersey73 says: IM SORRY I DONT THINK BEFORE I TALK. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT.

42. zoinks says: Jul 20, 2010 8:53 AM

Horrible decision.

“Vaguely successful”?
    Keep in mind…..Chris Johnson just completed one of the most productive seasons in NFL history, and broke a number of NFL records in the process. He is arguably the most feared runner in the game today, and is a threat to score literally every time he touches the ball, from anywhere on the field.
    If anything, this deal provides an incentive for younger players to work harder. This deal shows that the team is willing to revise the terms of an existing contract and give them more money….but only if they prove to be truly remarkable players.

43. Mark E Block says: Jul 20, 2010 2:26 PM

being a Titans fan, watching from the cheap seats, I welcome CJ’s decision to take the back-end money now.. this is a very fine Titan team… and with the running backs we have, and a healthy Vince… we should surprise some people… Go Chris! good for YOU