Skip to content

Ed Reed could miss first six games of season

E. Reed1.jpgThe last time we heard from Ed Reed, he expressed concern that he could miss part of the regular season because of his hip surgery. The Baltimore Sun believes the absence could be substantial.

Jamison Hensley writes the “most likely scenario” surrounding Reed would be for him to be placed on the active/PUP list to open the season, which would knock him out of the first six games.

Keep in mind that this information was presented in a blog post about training camp, not as a breaking news story.  There’s a lot of time left before the regular season, and the Ravens will exhaust any chance to have Reed available at some point in September.

For now, there’s serious doubt whether the best player in Baltimore’s banged-up secondary will make it back to the field before that newsmaking quarterback over in Pittsburgh.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
32 Responses to “Ed Reed could miss first six games of season”
  1. The Real Shuxion says: Jul 20, 2010 10:03 AM

    For now, there’s serious doubt whether the best player in Baltimore’s banged-up secondary will make it back to the field before that newsmaking quarterback over in Pittsburgh.
    ——————————————————
    Johnson High School will have a tough season without standout QB Ryan Clement.

  2. Kaz says: Jul 20, 2010 10:11 AM

    Too bad the media has already crowned their a**es…. With that secondary, drama and “tension” at Qb, overweight and injury prone draft class, I doubt anyone else in the AFC North are really even sweating them….
    p.s Got two words for Mt. Cody……. NO HUDDLE.

  3. The Rural Juror says: Jul 20, 2010 10:23 AM

    For now, there’s serious doubt whether the best safety in the NFL will make it back to the field before that newsmaking quarterback over in Pittsburgh.
    Florio, there, I fixed it for you…at least according to former Steelers/Ravens safety Rod Woodson.

  4. hineswardcriesafterfumbling says: Jul 20, 2010 10:24 AM

    Built in excuse for the Ravens a la the 2009 Steelers.

  5. kantnockdahustle89 says: Jul 20, 2010 10:26 AM

    Obviously this is news but Ravens fans expected it. Ken Hamlin is now our starting safety. Hes not a bad one to have considering who replaces him when Reed does in fact come back. Its more than likely his last year with the Ravens. Hopefully we can go out on top.

  6. QJ1984 says: Jul 20, 2010 10:28 AM

    My position on Reed not playing week 1 is the same one I have with Favre retiring. I’ll believe it when I see him not out there.
    Back in 2008, when the news of the nerve impingment in his neck Baltimore papers were reporting that not only was Reed not going to start the season but that he may even retire before the season starts. Not only did Reed NOT start the season on PUP, he played week 1 and played well.
    I also think people are making Reeds absence more than it is. The Ravens played 4 games without Reed last year and it should be noted that the secondary was already banged up, Washington had already gone down and Webb, only played 1 of the 4 games. Not to mention the Ravens secondary can survive the start of the season schedule:
    Jets- not exactly a passing power house and no Holmes
    Bengals- run first team
    Browns- ha
    Steelers- no Ben or Holmes
    Seriously, you get all the way to the Patriots before the Ravens face a team that passes more than it runs and has a QB/WR tandem that could really make the Ravens pay for a weak secondary.

  7. Bdrunk says: Jul 20, 2010 10:28 AM

    Get well soon, Ed.

  8. Outlaw Jersey Whales says: Jul 20, 2010 10:35 AM

    He should have had Ray Lewis commit the surgery.

  9. WhoDeySood5 says: Jul 20, 2010 10:36 AM

    even though my stripes are clearly orange and black, I can honestly admit that Reed is probably the best safety our this recent generation….hope he play well this year (except week 2 and 16)
    WHODEY

  10. jwill007 says: Jul 20, 2010 10:48 AM

    “Bengals- run first team”
    We want you to think 2009 when we play you in week 2. Then when you see Palmer throwing to Bryant, Gresham, Shipley, Ocho and Scott and Coffman you will say…..
    “I thought they were a running team”
    Dont forget the Ced Benson……..

  11. sacdaddy says: Jul 20, 2010 11:28 AM

    70% of the world is covered by water. The other 30% is covered by Ed Reed.

  12. guitarkevin says: Jul 20, 2010 11:36 AM

    The Ravens have been preparing for Reeds departure for some time now. As much as I’d hate to see him go, they have done respectably w/o him too.

  13. JohnnyU says: Jul 20, 2010 11:43 AM

    The Bengals want Reed to be back and healthy. They beat them with him and they can beat them without him. If he plays he will give them one less excuse but htere will always be the ever present and Ravens fan favorite “The Refs Robbed Us! We are still the best”.

  14. Ballinmore says: Jul 20, 2010 11:44 AM

    jwill007. Way to be optimistic I applaud you on that.
    This is still the Ravens division to lose. With or without Reed for 6 weeks. I see it as: Ben comes back and the Steelers win some games. It’s Carson’s year to miss 8 games since he was healthy enough to play last year and the Browns are awful but good enough to tie the bengals in Cleveland
    Ravens: 12-4
    Steelers: 10-6
    Bengals: 7-8-1
    Browns: 3-12-1

  15. Law-Deezie says: Jul 20, 2010 11:47 AM

    @ sacdaddy – 70% of the world is covered by water. The other 30% is covered by Ed Reed.
    Actually that is said/associated Troy Polamalu….nice try though

  16. 60minuteassassin says: Jul 20, 2010 12:06 PM

    Law-Deezie says:
    July 20, 2010 11:47 AM
    @ sacdaddy – 70% of the world is covered by water. The other 30% is covered by Ed Reed.
    Actually that is said/associated Troy Polamalu….nice try though
    ————————————
    Actually Fred Smoot said it about himself prior either Ed or Troy, and it was probably said before him…
    nice try though

  17. habibfromnewdehli says: Jul 20, 2010 12:08 PM

    I have to agree with the Bengals fans on this one. They might have ran over the Ravens last year with Benson… but if you look at the history of the Bengals since Marvin Lewis has gotten there… they’ve beaten the Ravens more often than not, and it’s because the Ravens could never contain Chad and TJ, and the late Chris Henry.
    Okay, TJ was gone last year and the Bengals still threw on the Ravens and beat them twice. This year there is no TJ and No Chris Henry, but they picked up Antonio Bryant and Jermaine Gresham.
    The Bengals might choke in the playoffs, but the simple fact is they match up very well against their division. They won’t have Benson for the start of the season, so they will be throwing on the Ravens even more than usual.
    The Ravens offense is going to have to score touchdowns, not field goals, routinely… for them to compete. They have the talent to do so, but they’ll have to put it all together once the games start.
    I’d have to say the division is the Bengals to lose, but a wild card looks like a strong possibility for the Ravens… the other wild card will be going to an AFC East team.

  18. jwill007 says: Jul 20, 2010 12:20 PM

    “jwill007. Way to be optimistic I applaud you on that.
    This is still the Ravens division to lose. With or without Reed for 6 weeks. I see it as: Ben comes back and the Steelers win some games. It’s Carson’s year to miss 8 games since he was healthy enough to play last year and the Browns are awful but good enough to tie the bengals in Cleveland
    Ravens: 12-4
    Steelers: 10-6
    Bengals: 7-8-1
    Browns: 3-12-1″
    Gregg,
    Please keep this post he is predicting an 8 game injury to Palmer and a losing record….LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Some secondary they have with the ENTIRE secondary injured or coming off injuries….On top of that they ARE CONFIDENT the division is theirs….
    I wonder if we will see 1 of those colums from Florio from last year where it said…..
    “Cincy Sends Ravens Locker Room into Silence”

  19. Outlaw Jersey Whales says: Jul 20, 2010 12:32 PM

    60minuteassassin says:
    July 20, 2010 12:06 PM
    Law-Deezie says:
    July 20, 2010 11:47 AM
    @ sacdaddy – 70% of the world is covered by water. The other 30% is covered by Ed Reed.
    Actually that is said/associated Troy Polamalu….nice try though
    —————– ——————-
    Actually Fred Smoot said it about himself prior either Ed or Troy, and it was probably said before him…
    nice try though
    ===================================
    Actually, the correct answer is “land”.
    Everyone can stop trying now!

  20. robhug71 says: Jul 20, 2010 12:53 PM

    It’s odd the big three safeties in the game (Reed, Polamalu, and Bob Sanders) can’t stay healthy.

  21. Chapnasty. says: Jul 20, 2010 12:57 PM

    60minuteassassin says:
    July 20, 2010 12:06 PM
    Law-Deezie says:
    July 20, 2010 11:47 AM
    @ sacdaddy – 70% of the world is covered by water. The other 30% is covered by Ed Reed.
    Actually that is said/associated Troy Polamalu….nice try though
    —————– ——————-
    Actually Fred Smoot said it about himself prior either Ed or Troy, and it was probably said before him…
    nice try though
    ————————————–
    Actually I believe I was in 6th grade or so when I had this poster of Deion Sanders on my wall. Nice try guys.

  22. dannylaruso says: Jul 20, 2010 1:04 PM

    Kaz says:
    July 20, 2010 10:11 AM
    Too bad the media has already crowned their a**es…. With that secondary, drama and “tension” at Qb, overweight and injury prone draft class, I doubt anyone else in the AFC North are really even sweating them….
    What “tension” at QB? Flacco #1 Bulger #2. If anything, Pittsburgh should know something about “tension” at QB. Go ahead and underestimate them, if you think Baltimore is gonna roll over you must not know much about football. They’re the most improved team in the North coming off of 2 straight playoff runs, do the math.

  23. dannylaruso says: Jul 20, 2010 1:08 PM

    Law-Deezie says:
    July 20, 2010 11:47 AM
    @ sacdaddy – 70% of the world is covered by water. The other 30% is covered by Ed Reed.
    Actually that is said/associated Troy Polamalu….nice try though
    Actually it was said about Deion Sanders first, then Reed, then Polamalu……nice try though.

  24. AllThat says: Jul 20, 2010 1:18 PM

    tough luck Ed.

  25. The Nasti says: Jul 20, 2010 1:25 PM

    Bengals > ravens

  26. Brian Sipe says: Jul 20, 2010 1:36 PM

    That sucks Ed Reed is a great player, but it will be nice because it will make purplepenis cry into his mommy’s bosom.

  27. sacdaddy says: Jul 20, 2010 1:53 PM

    Lol, yes I recall Fred Smoot saying that himself and it’s completely laughable along with Palamawho?
    I only said it about Ed Reed because it’s most accurate statement ever made in the history of the world.. and Deion you don’t mess with that.

  28. The Rural Juror says: Jul 20, 2010 2:23 PM

    Many of the recent great safeties have injury plagued careers because they play with such reckless abandon.
    See Polamalu, Reed and Sanders.
    All are amazing because they throw their bodies around, trying to catch errant passes, and delivering those ridiculous hits.

  29. myspaceyourface says: Jul 20, 2010 2:32 PM

    Ed Reed – not even the best safety in the division.
    R.I.P.

  30. steeltownpride says: Jul 20, 2010 6:00 PM

    Get well soon Ed . from Steeler nation

  31. odell says: Jul 21, 2010 4:11 PM

    Just one more reason why the Ravens are NOT the team to beat in the AFC North. And he is the first of many OLD Ravens to be “injured” this season. Get out the walkers and the depends and get ready for a long season Ravens D.

  32. grant44 says: Jul 22, 2010 9:39 AM

    Geez – guess this means Flaccid & the Crows won’t just be handed the Lombardi now!
    Reed called his hip “completely rebuilt”. Sounds like more shuffleboard & less football are in Eddie’s future!!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!